Netflix Original Series

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Netflix Original Series

Post by Isgrimnur »

Going after the kiddies.
Netflix has licensed two films from popular YouTube personalities, including “Smosh: The Movie” from the creators of the YouTube comedy channel of the same name, which has over 21 million YouTube subscribers; and “Bad Night,” featuring the YouTube stars Jenn McAllister and Lauren Luthringshausen.

It also has picked up “Lost & Found Music Studios,” a half-hour original series about a group of young musicians; “Degrassi: Next Class” about homophobia, racism, substance abuse and other issues teenagers face as they prepare to enter adulthood; and “Fuller House,” the much-anticipated sequel to the 1990s hit sitcom “Full House.”
With the new series and films, Netflix enters a fierce popularity contest to take over that programming space, as start-ups and traditional media companies — like YouNow, Snapchat, YouTube, MTV and Disney try to win over viewers who are growing up in a streaming world.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

For what it's worth, Degrassi is fairly decent. It's basically Degrassi TNG Season 15, renamed for a new class and cast of characters.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

hepcat wrote:I will say that the amount of gay slurs that fly out of the mouths of just about everyone is a little jarring though.
Well, it is Colombia and it is the 80s. I also noticed that (through 2 episodes) the one black person on the show was called "Blackie". The show has been pretty good so far and I'll concur that the actor play Escobar has been great.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh, I fully understand that that's probably the way they talked. Hell, growing up during that same period in America, that's how people talked. But we've grown up a little bit since that time. Still, that it is jarring is probably a good sign.

I finished it last night. Absolutely addictive as hell. What's even better is that I play the COIN board game, Andean Abyss, which covers this time period and shortly thereafter. At the end of the first season, I realized I was watching the birth of the AUC, which is one of the four factions in the game. Then I realized I had already seen the birth of the FARC, another faction from the game, in an earlier episode.

Kind of neat to see that play out in a tv show like that.

Oh, and it finally hit me as to why the actor playing Escobar seemed so familar. Wagner Moura was the star of Elite Squad: The Enemy Within. An absolutely fantastic cop thriller from Brazil that is also available to stream on Netflix. Watch it if you love your action films with a great story behind them.

edit: and crap, I just now realized that the actor playing the partner of the lead is Pedro Pascal, who played Oberyn on Game of Thrones. No wonder I liked him so much in this.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I approve of this development. Also, this one.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wow, I kind of just assumed Misty Knight would be a part of that world to begin with. Thank goodness they added her then.
He won. Period.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Tom Ashbrook on OnPoint interviewed the director/creator of Narcos on the podcast. Pretty good interview. Some people are just nitpicking about how they got a Brazileno playing a Colombiano. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Top Gear trio too expensive:
But rival service Netflix has claimed the presenters "sold themselves for way more money" than they are worth.

"We have past episodes of Top Gear, so we have a pretty good gauge of what audiences like," the company's chief product officer, Neil Hunt, told Digital Spy in an interview.

"Our buying decisions tend to be somewhat data-driven. We have a lot of data to get the deals we want.

"Clearly it wasn't worth the money to make the deal."

Mr Hunt later clarified his comments in a statement, saying: "There is an audience for everything and it is not up to us to judge if Amazon has paid too much or not."
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

hepcat wrote:edit: and crap, I just now realized that the actor playing the partner of the lead is Pedro Pascal, who played Oberyn on Game of Thrones. No wonder I liked him so much in this.
THANK YOU! I could not figure out how I recognized his face!
We finished the series other night and going through withdrawal presently.

Keep them coming Netflix!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This is a bit of cross post from the Marvel Netflix thread, but Jessica Jones got her premiere date trailer today. Promising stuff. After Daredevil, I'm in for sure.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That trailer is less than useful for deriving any kind of opinion on the show. They may as well have just announced the date without it.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I liked it. There's a lot in the trailer that I didn't notice until subsequent viewings (Avengers tower, screams, shot of her office, etc). And good choice of soundtrack choice.
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

Longmire is back as of today on Netflix. Entire season available to stream. Cant wait to watch it. I know its not originally original to Netflix but this season is original to Netflix. :shock:
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

soulbringer wrote:Longmire is back as of today on Netflix. Entire season available to stream. Cant wait to watch it. I know its not originally original to Netflix but this season is original to Netflix. :shock:
We watched the first three episodes tonight. Going to be a great "set of 10" episodes. Some expected carryover from the last season but also some new storylines being built.
Spoiler:
We had expected one storyline to be played out over the season and were surprised that it looked to wrap in just three episodes. And, yet, they found a way to make the solution full of implications. :clap:
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

hepcat wrote:That trailer is less than useful for deriving any kind of opinion on the show. They may as well have just announced the date without it.
Yeah, I was very disappointed, I thought it was pretty worthless.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Jolor wrote:
soulbringer wrote:Longmire is back as of today on Netflix. Entire season available to stream. Cant wait to watch it. I know its not originally original to Netflix but this season is original to Netflix. :shock:
We watched the first three episodes tonight. Going to be a great "set of 10" episodes. Some expected carryover from the last season but also some new storylines being built.
Spoiler:
We had expected one storyline to be played out over the season and were surprised that it looked to wrap in just three episodes. And, yet, they found a way to make the solution full of implications. :clap:
Yes, binged on episodes 1 - 4 tonight. I loved this show and was so happy to see Netflix pick it up. Drop the cellphones and cars and give them horses and you've had an Western set in 1875. Just love it!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Grifman wrote:
hepcat wrote:That trailer is less than useful for deriving any kind of opinion on the show. They may as well have just announced the date without it.
Yeah, I was very disappointed, I thought it was pretty worthless.
Calm down folks; it's this. We'll get a real trailer real soon-like.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Damn, just binged through this season of Longmire and it was fantastic. Best season yet, the writers really stepped it up. And the show really benefited from no commercials and longer episodes which helped the story telling. But way too many unresolved issues in the final show - it's going to be very hard to wait until next season. But this season rocked!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Narcos was excellent! Just finished the first season and now I want to watch the movie Pablo Escobar's son made called Sins of My Father. Also looking for the chance to insert Plata O Plomo into a conversation. Now on to the rest of Longmire.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I finished Narcos last night as well. It was great. I'm assuming (ending spoilers)
Spoiler:
that there will be a second season since this season ends with Escobar's escape?
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Narcos 2: The Narconing is all set to go.
He won. Period.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I was also interested in watching Sins of My Father, looked for it, and of course, not there. Netflix Canada ftw. So just be advised, if you are in Canuckstan, you'll have to use your VPN to the states to watch it. Le sigh.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Odin

Post by Odin »

Zaxxon wrote:I liked it. There's a lot in the trailer that I didn't notice until subsequent viewings (Avengers tower, screams, shot of her office, etc). And good choice of soundtrack choice.
Oh - thank you!! I didn't notice the tower the first time through, but saw it immediately once I knew to look for it. So cool!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote:A Very Murray Christmas
"A Very Murray Christmas" reunites the actor with Sofia Coppola, who last directed him in "Lost in Translation," which earned Murray the first Oscar nomination of his career.

This first teaser doesn't show much. All that can be seen is Murray, wearing a pair of reindeer antlers, staring gloomily out a window at a vast cityscape.
The special sells itself on Murray alone, despite the fact it will apparently include appearances from the likes of George Clooney, Miley Cyrus, Amy Poehler, and Maya Rudolph as well.
Teaser at the link or your favorite massive video tube delivery system.
trailer
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Neil Patrick Harris as Count Olaf
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fuller House renewed:
“Fuller House” has been renewed for a second season at Netflix, Variety has learned. The pickup comes just days after the “Full House” revival series debuted on the streaming giant.

“Fuller House” opened up to polarizing reviews from critics and mixed reaction from fans, but the renewal hardly comes as a surprise. Aside from Netflix’s knack for renewing their original shows for many seasons, “Fuller House,” being in the pop culture zeitgeist, has had an overwhelming amount of social-media success, trending ever since the project was announced.

Netflix, of course, does not release ratings, so besides the heavy Twitter reaction over this past premiere weekend, there is no way to know how many viewers “Fuller House” has drawn since its Feb. 26 launch.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Have mercy.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Ranch trailer

E Online
Ashton Kutcher and his That '70s Show costar Danny Masterson play brothers on a ranch, and their dad is Sam Elliott? And sometimes they help cows give birth? That just doesn't sound like a real thing that exists outside of a dream we had once, but The Ranch is real, y'all, and Kelso and Hyde make for a pair of pretty believable brothers.
Kutcher stars in the sitcom as Colt, a failed semi-pro football player who returns home to his family's Colorado ranch to run the family business with his brother Rooster (Masterson), and his dad Beau (Elliott), who he hasn't seen in 15 years. Colt and Rooster's mother, meanwhile, is played by Debra Winger, and she runs the local bar.
The first 10 episodes of The Ranch will premiere Friday, April 1 on Netflix.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote:The Ranch trailer
Because we need more laugh tracks in our life.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That notwithstanding, I need more Sam Elliott in my life.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Copious alcohol and six episodes, I'm digging The Ranch. The 70s show vibe is there between Kelso and Hyde, with a brotherly twist, and Sam Elliot and Debra Winger keep it from being just a retread.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Travelers
Netflix has come on board Travelers, an original time-traveling sci-fi series starring Eric McCormack (Will & Grace, Perception). Netflix is teaming on the project with Canadian TV channel Showcase, which will air the series in Canada, with Netflix carrying it exclusively everywhere the service is available outside of Canada.

Also cast in the series, which starts production today in Vancouver, are MacKenzie Porter, Jared Abrahamson, J. Alex Brinson, Nesta Cooper, Reilly Dolman, Patrick Gilmore, Arnold Pinnock, Dylan Playfair and Ian Tracey.

Created and written by Brad Wright, co-creator of Stargate SG-1 and creator of related franchises Stargate: Atlantis and SGU, Travelers is set hundreds of years from now when the last surviving humans discover the means of sending consciousness back through time, directly into people in the 21st century. These “travelers” assume the lives of seemingly random people, while secretly working as teams to perform missions in order to save humanity from a terrible future. These travelers are: FBI Special Agent Grant MacLaren (McCormack), the team’s leader; Marcy (Porter), a young, intellectually disabled woman in the care of her social worker, David (Gilmore); Trevor (Abrahamson), a high school quarterback; Carly (Cooper), a single mom in an abusive relationship; and Philip (Dolman), a heroin-addicted college student. Armed only with their knowledge of history and an archive of social media profiles, the travelers discover that 21st century lives and relationships are as much a challenge as their high-stakes missions.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Quantum Leap 2.0?
Black Lives Matter
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

So without cable... Oh Netflix.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Neil Patrick Harris as Count Olaf
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Odin

Post by Odin »

Zaxxon wrote:Voltron!
Woo! I loved that show when I was a kid. The LIONS version - not the vehicles version!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YES! Oh man, do I look forward to watching that with my son.

He's already a Transformers/Star Wars/Lego fiend (no I am NOT re-living my childhood toys through my son, thankyouverymuch!), so he will probably like this as well (hopefully it's well done like the Lego and SW stuff - even some of the new Transformer 'toons are good).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just wish there was an upcoming series with an 80's supernatural feel to it. Maybe even an ET vibe?
He won. Period.