Netflix Original Series

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

tgb

Re: Netflix Original Series

Post by tgb »

Has anyone checked out Jim & Andy? Apparently Jim Carrey lost his mind while filming Man On The Moon and started to believe he was really Andy Kaufman. This documents the whole mess.

Not made for Netflix, strictly speaking, but I started watching Turn at the insistence of a friend. Excellent.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Turn is a tremendous series.

Great casting and some top notch performances.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Can anyone sell me on season 2 of Stranger Things? Based on the praise here, I watched the first season with my wife. Enticing beginning, followed by a *very* slow progression of story (almost stopped after episode 2), which then picked up really well except for some very poor writing of character decisions just to create suspense (Nancy and the tree-gate being the best example). Then the last episode was doing a fantastic job of climaxing the show, until the piss-poor final "solution" in the school. Its been 2 weeks since we watched the last episode of Season 1 and I have had no longing to return to it.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Godless. Western, with Jeff Daniels in it. The rest of it is so good that I didn't realize that ^ was in it till the end.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Freyland wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 pm Can anyone sell me on season 2 of Stranger Things?
If you didn’t like season 1, I highly doubt you’ll like season 2.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeah, pretty much MOTS, but still very entertaining IMO.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Stranger Things Season 3
The streaming giant has renewed the Duffer brothers' breakout hit Stranger Things for a third season. A return date has not yet been determined for the supernatural drama about the happenings brimming beneath the surface of a small American town.

While Netflix — like fellow streamers Amazon and Hulu — does not release viewership information, measurement leader Nielsen cited an audience of 15.8 million viewers who watched the season two premiere within three days of its launch. (And nearly 11 million of them were among the key adults 18-49 demographic.) Nielsen also found that 361,000 Netflix subscribers streamed the entire nine-episode second season within 24 hours of its debut. (Netflix declined comment on the Nielsen findings.) Stranger Things 2 also was crowned the most popular show in the country, according to data company Parrot Analytics.
In September, sources told THR that stars Finn Wolfhard, Millie Bobby Brown, Gaten Matarazzo and Caleb McLaughlin each got $30,000 per episode for the first and second seasons with a bonus — less than six figures — once it became clear that the show was a phenomenon. While the cast is signed for six years, talent reps say a renegotiation will happen in early 2018. One question yet to be addressed: whether the show's breakout, 13-year-old Brown will negotiate separately from the other young stars.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

One question yet to be addressed: whether the show's breakout, 13-year-old Brown will negotiate separately from the other young stars.
Wait I thought Gaten was the show's breakout. Sure Eleven is good, but Dustin is the man!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

And nearly 11 million of them were among the key adults 18-49 demographic.
The part that I don't understand anymore is why Nielsen would still care about the "key demographic" when the platform does not show ads. When they look at demographics for TV viewers, it reflects on how much the networks can charge for advertising (certain groups spend more money blah blah blah). What does it matter for a Netflix show, who watches it? At that point, they are just paying for Netflix. One could actually argue that 18-20-something-year-olds may actually be LESS profitable for Netflix because many of them are sharing their Netflix passwords :D
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:14 pm
One question yet to be addressed: whether the show's breakout, 13-year-old Brown will negotiate separately from the other young stars.
Wait I thought Gaten was the show's breakout. Sure Eleven is good, but Dustin is the man!
My current favorite is Harbour. He's doing a fantastic job. Brown is probably my second favorite. Gaten was good, but I think he could be replaced much easier than the other two. And in the episode I watched last night, I found him more annoying than enjoyable.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I finally finished Punisher and I thought it was great. I'd rank that with Season 1 of Daredevil. I don't understand the complaints of bad writing. I felt the last episode was a little weak
Spoiler:
(between Frank and Billy)
but overall I felt the writing was fine.

Another spoiler (more of an innuendo)
Spoiler:
I take it there won't be a sequel? Kinda felt complete.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Shot in the Dark is a pretty cool series so far. It's a docu-series about the indie video journalists (stringers) that go out at night and get footage of car wrecks and fires and stuff to sell to news outlets (see Jake Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler). It follows three of the top guys in Los Angeles as they make their rounds trying to capture the biggest stories of the night.

I'm only two episodes in, but it's fun in a COPS sort of way. My one negative is that It's so slickly produced that it sometimes comes off as a little staged, but I find the concept compelling enough to keep watching.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

gilraen wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:17 pm
And nearly 11 million of them were among the key adults 18-49 demographic.
The part that I don't understand anymore is why Nielsen would still care about the "key demographic" when the platform does not show ads.
My understanding is that Nielsen's consumers for SVOD ratings are content creators and competing streaming platforms rather than advertisers. In theory, highly rated content should fetch a higher price when different streaming platforms bid for rights to third-party content. This would also explain why Netflix doesn't release its own viewership data, and contests the accuracy of the Nielsen ratings.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

The wife and I finished Punisher last night. We both really liked it, and it ranks up there with Daredevil season 1 for me.
naednek wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:45 pmAnother spoiler (more of an innuendo)
Spoiler:
I take it there won't be a sequel? Kinda felt complete.
Spoiler:
They only decided on a Punisher series after his success in Daredevil season 2, so it makes sense that they don't have longterm plans for the character. I really like that the we got a satisfying conclusion to his character arc. Still, they've left the door open for him to return. He said it himself, he doesn't know what it's like to not be at war. That's been my take on the character from the comics. He's constantly picking fights with bad guys because he doesn't know what else to do.
Now we have to try and finish Mindhunters before The Crown comes back on Friday.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:33 pm
Freyland wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 pm Can anyone sell me on season 2 of Stranger Things?
If you didn’t like season 1, I highly doubt you’ll like season 2.
And here I was beginning to think I was the only one. I like what it tries to do, and I love the fact that parts of it feel like ET and The Goonies, but that's about it for me, as I really don't like the horror aspects, maybe because I never was into horror, especially the ones it tries to emulate. I give it points for emulating the 80's very well though. And I suppose this is going to make me a martyr...
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Nah, I can understand not liking it. I enjoyed it, but I didn’t think it was as good as all the praise made it out to be.
Covfefe!
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

In the process of finishing The Punisher tonight. I really enjoyed the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
tgb

Post by tgb »

Stranger Things S2 isn't grabbing me the way the first did. Part is, I think, the novelty has worn off, and a bigger part is that there seems to be more teen angst (always a deal breaker) than the first season.

I watched Jim & Andy the other night, and it's a fascinating study for fans of either (I still don't particularly like Carrey, although I now respect him a bit more) of how Carrey became Kaufman (even for the Tony Clifton material) much to the annoyance of everyone else on set.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:09 pm Nah, I can understand not liking it. I enjoyed it, but I didn’t think it was as good as all the praise made it out to be.
Thanks. And I guess that leads me to another point. I find most of Netflix's original series to be grim and dark or edgy, though I suppose that only reflects the current trend. There's a lot of it there that I simply don't feel comfortable watching with certain people being around. I kind of wish that Netflix's selection of original programming were a little more balanced.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think you've only been exposed to a handful of their original content then. They have a ton of original stuff. Go over that list and you'll find a lot of variety. It's not all Marvel, House of Cards and Orange is the New Black. Heck, I'd even call Stranger Things almost family friendly if it weren't for a few violent moments. And even those you can see worse examples of on broadcast TV these days.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh, I've seen their list and I don't find it particularly inspired.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Freyland wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 pm Can anyone sell me on season 2 of Stranger Things? Based on the praise here, I watched the first season with my wife. Enticing beginning, followed by a *very* slow progression of story (almost stopped after episode 2), which then picked up really well except for some very poor writing of character decisions just to create suspense (Nancy and the tree-gate being the best example). Then the last episode was doing a fantastic job of climaxing the show, until the piss-poor final "solution" in the school. Its been 2 weeks since we watched the last episode of Season 1 and I have had no longing to return to it.
My take on season one was always that all of the pieces were rather trite and somewhat cliched, but that the whole was greater than the sum of its parts.

In season 2, I felt the child actors were even better than in the first, as well as the adults (Winona's Joyce got to have more than a one-note performance). I also felt that the directions they took the characters were more interesting and less cliched, though there were a couple of off notes (the conspiracy theory guy and the big city episode). Overall, I felt it was superior to season 1 in just about every way, unlike most sequels.

I also liked what I saw in the post-season roundtable (only saw the first one so far) with the actors - it was fun and enchanting to see the actors/writers talking about it.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I must be an easier sell than youse guys. I loved both seasons of Stranger Things.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hentzau wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:08 pm I must be an easier sell than youse guys. I loved both seasons of Stranger Things.
Don't get me wrong, I loved both too. I just felt that the first season had some flaws which were far outweighed by how enjoyable I found it.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:49 pm Oh, I've seen their list and I don't find it particularly inspired.
When did Jeffv create a new alt? :?
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Different strokes for different folks...
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Not for me. I watch whatever msteelers tells me to. It makes movie nights so simple now.
Covfefe!
tgb

Post by tgb »

I just have three words - Errol Morris, baby!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

hepcat wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:11 am Not for me. I watch whatever msteelers tells me to. It makes movie nights so simple now.
:D

It's about damn time.
morlac

Post by morlac »

tgb wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:16 pm Has anyone checked out Jim & Andy? Apparently Jim Carrey lost his mind while filming Man On The Moon and started to believe he was really Andy Kaufman. This documents the whole mess.

Not made for Netflix, strictly speaking, but I started watching Turn at the insistence of a friend. Excellent.

Loved it. I already thought that Carey was way underappreciated in that role. This just cements it. Bonus points for making me think how much of this Documentary was serious/legit and how much of it was Kaufman esque. Brilliant!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm about six episodes into The Punisher and am enjoying it. Is this part of the official Marvel universe? I'm having a hard time accepting that Castle's world has magic, gods, aliens, etc.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

McNutt wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:01 pm I'm about six episodes into The Punisher and am enjoying it. Is this part of the official Marvel universe? I'm having a hard time accepting that Castle's world has magic, gods, aliens, etc.
Yes, it's part of the MCU.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

McNutt wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:01 pmIs this part of the official Marvel universe? I'm having a hard time accepting that Castle's world has magic, gods, aliens, etc.
Yes. There are references to the events of The Avengers in the first season of Daredevil, for example.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Just short of finishing up the Punisher and I have mixed emotions. I think the series is very well done, has a very good story, and has been the most emotionally involving Marvel Netflix series so far:
Spoiler:
if you don't have tears when Micro gets his family back you have no heart
That said, it's bit too violent and gory for me. And I've never read any of the Punisher comics so I'm not very familiar with the character. But he doesn't resonate personally with me, the whole brooding, ultra violent, revenge character just sort of bounces off me. I think Beranthal does a great job, I'm just not a fan of the character.

I am interested where the character goes from here since
Spoiler:
his personal revenge issues seem to have been resolved by the end of this season.
Last edited by Grifman on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

You might want to spoil that last line, Grifman.

Finished The Punisher. I thought it was pretty good; it never seemed to have the lull like many of the Netflix Marvel series have had. But it was definitely extremely violent; especially the last two episodes.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just finished season 4 of the Ranch, which will be the last one for Danny Masterson in light of his recent news. Should be interesting to see if the show survives for Season 5, as he's EP, and his character is a big part of the show. I didn't feel like his character was a critical part of this season like it was in previous years, so they may be able to pull it off without him.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Just finished S2 of Stranger Things. It's been interesting to read the conflicting opinions on it (and on the Marvel series). I liked both seasons of Stranger Things, and would probably put 2 ahead of 1. I agree about the conspiracy guy/city diversion episodes not really meshing with the rest of the narrative, especially on hindsight. I also felt it was slow starting off; I watched the first 3 episodes and didn't come back to the series for probably a month or so. I watched the rest of the batch in short order.

On the other hand, I can't get into the Marvel series. I wanted to, and watched a number of early series/seasons (DD 1 & 2, JJ) and they just never grabbed me. I watching only because I felt like I should be watching, but I wasn't enjoying it primarily because of the violence and constantly dark slant to the whole thing. I've had no urge at all to delve into Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Defenders or Punisher. I'm disappointed I didn't enjoy them more.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Just binged S2 of Stranger Things this week. It was fantastic. Can't wait for S3, but I am a little concerned it's going to get stale if they don't change things up.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Finished Black Mirror. Starting Mindhunter.

Happy weekend lol
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I watched the first two episodes of Black Mirror. I thought the whole series was going to be about that company that created Space Fleet. Was disappointed to find it is a Twilight Zone format.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter