Netflix Original Series

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Hrothgar

Re: Netflix Original Series

Post by Hrothgar »

hepcat wrote:I just wish there was an upcoming series with an 80's supernatural feel to it. Maybe even an ET vibe?
Yes, they need to finish The Phoenix. So many unanswered questions!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sorry, that was my stupid attempt at a call out to another series of threads. :oops:

But I like where you're going with this. Some closure on the matter of The Phoenix would be quite welcome. The last I saw of him, he was levitating a cat out of a fire (and you could quite easily see the strings holding the box with the cat) in one of the episodes.
He won. Period.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I'm still waiting for Goldorak/Grandizer to get a reboot.

Did this have ANY popularity in the States?
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

T'aint never heard of it. Of course, we routinely get foreign shows that undergo drastic name changes along the way. I believe the original name of The Transformers was actually "Metal Extremist GO GO Pan Flute Love Dogs!"
He won. Period.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

hepcat wrote:Sorry, that was my stupid attempt at a call out to another series of threads. :oops:

But I like where you're going with this. Some closure on the matter of The Phoenix would be quite welcome. The last I saw of him, he was levitating a cat out of a fire (and you could quite easily see the strings holding the box with the cat) in one of the episodes.
And he was just discovering his powers. Don't worry, no one's forgotten your love of Manimal. Imagine the possibilities of a modern version. Though, by definition, the hair would never be as good at least for the humans.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote:I just wish there was an upcoming series with an 80's supernatural feel to it. Maybe even an ET vibe?
Alf? Concur. That show was amazing.

Pretend the chicken is a cat:
:animals-chickencatch:
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Stranger Things It's being billed as Stephen King meets Stephen Spielberg. All episodes hit July 15th
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

tru1cy wrote:
Stranger Things It's being billed as Stephen King meets Stephen Spielberg. All episodes hit July 15th
Ok, I'm in!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

You all need to go watch Stranger Things right now. Do not pass go, do not spoil yourself with trailers. Start it now. You will not be disappointed.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Zaxxon wrote:You all need to go watch Stranger Things right now. Do not pass go, do not spoil yourself with trailers. Start it now. You will not be disappointed.
Agreement. Completely awesome. Binge watched it all in less than 24 hours.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

JCC wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:You all need to go watch Stranger Things right now. Do not pass go, do not spoil yourself with trailers. Start it now. You will not be disappointed.
Agreement. Completely awesome. Binge watched it all in less than 24 hours.
Binged the final 3 episodes last night. Terrific from start to finish, especially for a dude my age. So many nostalgic feels.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Captain Caveman wrote:This is really neat: A 360 "virtual reality" video promo for Stranger Things
I was just geeking out over this with a friend - it is really neat.
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

malchior wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:This is really neat: A 360 "virtual reality" video promo for Stranger Things
I was just geeking out over this with a friend - it is really neat.
I watched it in a Rift and it's cool. I think I actually gasped twice. I'd love it if they shot a web series or something on a 360 3D camera. This is all just CG I think and not 3D, just 360. It's a gimmick right now but I hope we get real content like this soon
Twitter: joerumz
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

It's 3am and I'm still wide awake because I finished the last 4 episodes of Stranger Things. Wow, what an excellent show! That soundtrack is amazing. It's the only Netflix series where I watched the intro every time. It had this kind of Tron or V (the alien TV show) vibe.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

There's a Spotify playlist btw.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Yeah, that's a great playlist. Bummer they don't have the Peter Gabriel version of "Heroes" though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsvuipGq2ns
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We are about three episodes into Stranger Things now. I'm really digging the vibe, but to be honest I'm surprised that this show has so many people talking about it.

I really like the show though, and I'm looking forward to finishing the season.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

With the success of Stranger Things I'm sure we'll see clones being green lighted from the other networks
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

ok so is stranger things horror? I dont mind walking dead, dont consider that horror. Can someone describe the "horror" elements within the show? Thanks a much. Seen the hype, am curious, but dont like being in a scared as a state of mind.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Technically it's horror genre but beyond a couple of jump scares it's not too terror-y.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

I don't know, I thought it was pretty scary/freaky. But in a good way. It's more about the mystery than the terror. The feel of the show is so different to The Walking Dead that I don't know if the two are comparable. I would compare it more to The X-Files, but good.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Newcastle wrote:ok so is stranger things horror? I dont mind walking dead, dont consider that horror. Can someone describe the "horror" elements within the show? Thanks a much. Seen the hype, am curious, but dont like being in a scared as a state of mind.
It's really an homage to eighties pop culture that's almost like a mash-up of Stand By Me, Poltergeist, E.T. and Firestarter, that skillfully tips its hat to the works of Spielberg, John Carpenter, and Richard Donner. It's difficult to describe in much further detail, as spoiling even just a bit of the story takes away from the greater mystery, which is all part of the fun. I suppose it could be described as horror of a sort, but as Cheeba points out, while it has a wonderfully creepy atmosphere and some ominous elements, it's less conventional horror and more of a supernatural sci-fi mystery-thriller type show. Suffice it to say, it's a superbly fun ride that I doubt would necessarily leave you in a scared state of mind.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Thanks guys for the response. As long as its more in the vein of xfile, i'll be fine. If its more like a slasher say like nightmare on elm street...nyet. Almost finished with episode 1, and seems fine so far. Digging the music though, the little synth background music here and there.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Not the best idea to start Stranger Things after midnight. The John Carpenterish opening credits font and synth music sure hooked me. Yeah, Netflix has another winner on its hands.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Yeah that's the only Netflix opening I never fast forwarded through. And Stranger Things is definitely a show for night time viewing!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I enjoyed it, but I must be jaded as I never once found it frightening or creepy. It felt more like a science fiction thriller to me.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

$iljanus wrote:Not the best idea to start Stranger Things after midnight. The John Carpenterish opening credits font and synth music sure hooked me. Yeah, Netflix has another winner on its hands.
I started it at 11pm last night and had to force myself to stop after finishing the second episode - really, quite enjoyable. While I'm sure it will change, I was immediately hit with the idea that it reminded me of the Explorers -- one of my favorites as a kid. Mainly, it's the way the kids talk to each other.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Not a series but a move; The Little Prince is worth a look. Children’s movie with more of a mature tone to it. I’m not familiar with the book it’s based on but I do know it is not an exact translation, more like a story within a story.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:
$iljanus wrote:Not the best idea to start Stranger Things after midnight. The John Carpenterish opening credits font and synth music sure hooked me. Yeah, Netflix has another winner on its hands.
I started it at 11pm last night and had to force myself to stop after finishing the second episode - really, quite enjoyable. While I'm sure it will change, I was immediately hit with the idea that it reminded me of the Explorers -- one of my favorites as a kid. Mainly, it's the way the kids talk to each other.
As you watch all sorts of Easter eggs, homages, etc will pop up. And so many reminders of my childhood having grown up in the eighties...minus the secret gov lab and otherworldly occurrences of course. At least as far as I remember...

It was truly an enjoyable series.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Stranger Things kids had a fun appearance at the Emmys which ABC declined to televise.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

You guys might not be interested, but my kids have been absolutely hooked on BEAT BUGS. It's a kid series featuring a bunch of CGI insects but they incorporate Beatles songs into all the episodes. They've watched the entire season at least four or five times at this point. I love it because it's got my kids singing Beatles songs.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice; I'll check it out.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote:The Ranch trailer
Season 2 (trailier) drops October 7th.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:The Ranch trailer
Season 2 (trailier) drops October 7th.
The last bit got a chuckle out of me. Sam Elliot is classic.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ranch Season 2 is live. I will probably watch some of it this weekend.
Isgrimnur

Netflix Original Series

Post by Isgrimnur »

Last edited by Isgrimnur on Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Finished Luke Cage. Excellent. Loved how Harlem was kind of a character in the way that Baltimore was in The Wire
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I finally got to watch Making a Murderer. That was way better than the OJ trial.

I don't know how other people feel, but I'm about 90% sure he was framed. They certainly had motivation.
No sig, must scream, etc.