Netflix Original Series

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Xmann

Re: Netflix Original Series

Post by Xmann »

Covenant72 wrote:Ultimate Beastmaster is a crap knockoff. It's the exact same obstacle courses over and over (including the finale) and the difficulty is nowhere near Ninja Warrior levels. Ninja Warrior is smart enough to mix things up for the different regions so you stay interested. Beastmaster leaves you with just the "human drama" and that bit is also boring.

Crap Finale Note
Spoiler:
They also fudged the rules on the finale so they could have a dramatic tie breaker. One episode it just matters how high you are vertically, then for the finale its what platform you have cleared?
I suffered through the first episode and couldn't do any more.

So many things are bad about this show.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

My wife and I finished OA. I wasn't too sure about it after the first episode, but it ramp up pretty quickly and revealed more of the story line. By episode 4, we were glued to the show. To avoid spoilers, I won't discuss any further other than it held our interest to keep going and finish it. The acting is very good and we enjoyed the scientist actor the best.

I give it a four out of five stars.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Torfish wrote:My wife and I finished OA. I wasn't too sure about it after the first episode, but it ramp up pretty quickly and revealed more of the story line. By episode 4, we were glued to the show. To avoid spoilers, I won't discuss any further other than it held our interest to keep going and finish it. The acting is very good and we enjoyed the scientist actor the best.

My wife was not very happy with the ending. I was.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

coopasonic wrote:
Torfish wrote:My wife and I finished OA. I wasn't too sure about it after the first episode, but it ramp up pretty quickly and revealed more of the story line. By episode 4, we were glued to the show. To avoid spoilers, I won't discuss any further other than it held our interest to keep going and finish it. The acting is very good and we enjoyed the scientist actor the best.

My wife was not very happy with the ending. I was.
I'm not sure how I feel about the ending yet. It was 'out there' for sure and not what I expected, which is a good thing. I don't like easy 1-2-3 endings.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Santa Clarita Diet Season 2 approved
Season 2 will premiere in 2018.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Isgrimnur wrote:Santa Clarita Diet Season 2 approved
Season 2 will premiere in 2018.
I haven't finished the current season yet, but I'll give that a qualified "yay".
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dark Crystal prequel
Who needs new ideas when you have the genius of Jim Henson to fall back on? Following recent news that an (unnecessary) sequel to cult classic Labyrinth is in the works, The Jim Henson Company today announced it's producing a new series for Netflix based on '80s masterpiece The Dark Crystal. Called The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, the ten-episode show will be set years before the events of the film. "When three Gelfling discover the horrifying secret behind the Skeksis' power, they set out on an epic journey to ignite the fires of rebellion and save their word," a short description of the premise reads.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote:Dark Crystal prequel
Who needs new ideas when you have the genius of Jim Henson to fall back on? Following recent news that an (unnecessary) sequel to cult classic Labyrinth is in the works, The Jim Henson Company today announced it's producing a new series for Netflix based on '80s masterpiece The Dark Crystal. Called The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, the ten-episode show will be set years before the events of the film. "When three Gelfling discover the horrifying secret behind the Skeksis' power, they set out on an epic journey to ignite the fires of rebellion and save their word," a short description of the premise reads.
This popped up in my FB feed this afternoon, and I thought it was a joke. I feel the same about this as I feel about the revisiting Labyrinth, mostly just "why?"
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm super excited about it. Unlike Labyrinth, you don't have to worry about older actors and filling David Bowie's shoes. They're just puppets. No reason they can't make a cool show, and that world is one that is begging for more back story and more adventures.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BGR: Netflix C&D for pop-up bar

As far as cease and desist letters go, you’ll be hard pressed to find one more charming than the one Netflix recently sent to the purveyors of a pop-up Stranger Things themed bar located in the Logan Square neighborhood of Chicago.

The bar originally sprang up in late August and, rather appropriately, was called “The Upside Down.” As you would imagine, the Stranger Things influence in the bar is ubiquitous and impossible to miss. The location even features a well-crafted replica of the iconic lit-up alphabet wall we saw during the show’s first season.

As a pop-up bar, “The Upside Down” was slated to run through September 23. With that date fast approaching, Netflix’s legal team sent the bar owners a letter with a message that they shouldn’t be angling for a second or extended run. But what makes Netflix’s letter stand out is that the streaming giant is okay with the bar owners keeping things operational until next week. What’s more, the letter Netflix’s legal team sent is humorous and amiable, which, all things being equal, is refreshing to see every once in a while.

The letter, via DNA Info, reads as follows:
My walkie talkie is busted so I had to write this note instead. I heard you launched a Stranger Things pop-up bar at your Logan Square location. Look, I don’t want you to think I’m a total wastoid, and I love how much you guys love the show. (just wait until you see Season 2!) But unless I’m living in the Upside Down, I don’t think we did a deal with you for this pop-up. You’re obviously creative types, so I’m sure you can appreciate that it’s important to us to have a say in how our fanc encounter the worlds we build.

We’re not going to go full Dr. Brenner on you, but we ask that you please (1) not extend the pop-up beyond its 6 week run ending in September and (2) reach out to us for permission if you plan to do something like this again. Let me know as soon as possible that you agree to these requests.

We love our fans more than anything, but you should know that the demogorgon is not always as forgiving. So please don’t make us call your mom.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Awesome
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Always on the look for something that we can watch as a family (7yo daughter, 15yo son) we tried out Trollhunters last week and loved it. We blew through roughly half of the 26 episode season already. It's a Dreamworks computer animated series produced by Guillermo del Toro. A high school boy inadvertently gets involved in a war between various mythical creatures living in secret in our world. The nice voice cast includes Kelsey Grammer, Ron Perlman and the main character voiced by Anton Yelchin. Sadly Anton died mid production... I gather at some point another actor fills in for parts he didn't finish, then eventually takes over the role but we haven't encountered that yet.

It's definitely family friendly but it has just enough humor aimed at an older audience and is just dark enough (courtesy Guillermo del Toro) to appeal to adults. It's been renewed for season 2 so woohoo!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Stranger Things 2 review embargo lifted today. Looks like we have a winner, 96% so far.

Can't wait.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm only a few episodes in, but I had to comment. Sean Astin was one of the Goonies, a Hobbit, and now he's making out with a still beautiful Winona Ryder. How lucky can one guy possibly be?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Rudy, Rudy, Rudy

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Xmann wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:59 pm Rudy, Rudy, Rudy
My wife started chanting that as soon as he showed up.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

We banged out the second season in 3 days but we were committed to the effort. I liked it, I think I liked season one better just because it was fresh and new at the time. I liked the new characters they introduced this season...
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Slowly working through Stranger Things season 2, only because we watch it with our son and it's been marching band season so he's not around much.

I was happy to see Trollhunters got a lot of daytime Emmys for animated series.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

SmooveB wrote:'m only a few episodes in, but I had to comment. Sean Astin was one of the Goonies, a Hobbit, and now he's making out with a still beautiful Winona Ryder. How lucky can one guy possibly be?
Even though he's 3 years older than me, I wish I could adopt him.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

We've only watched the first episode of ST2 because we just can't find a time that the whole family is together. It's my wife that is the problem, normally the kids and I can find a time, but my wife loved the first season and wants to watch the new season with us.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I just started it yesterday. So far I'm liking it. Though I may need to go back and watch the last episode of S1. I was struggling to remember who everyone was and what happened. (Though some has been slowly coming back.)

I will say that I almost didn't recognize Paul Reiser.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I loved the second season. I seem to be the only one who liked the "solo" episode. The only blemish for me was the idiotic Jurassic Park moment. (ie. the non-sensical computer related bit.) Though it didn't annoy me as much as the JP one did where I literally wanted that little bitch dead for the rest of the movie... but I digress. Loved season two and already can't wait for season 3.

(I was also blown away at hearing Hittman's "Metal Sport" blare oh so briefly out of the camaro, even though it was a blatant anachronism. That's a fairly obscure one. Kudos in general to the music choices...)
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I liked the sister episode also. Remind me of Orphan Black a little.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNBC
Fans of the Netflix series "Stranger Things" know that Dustin Henderson, a central character on the show played by Gaten Matarazzo, rocks some great '80s sweatshirts.

In the first episode of the show's second season, which premiered on Oct. 27, Dustin can be seen sporting a purple hoodie that features a logo from the Science Museum of Minnesota. That hoodie was first available from the museum's Explore Store in the early 1980s, but employees began to think about selling it again as calls, emails and social media posts poured in asking about it, according to a news release by the museum.

At 8 a.m. Tuesday, the museum began selling purple sweatshirts, crew necks and t-shirts with the same "Brontosaurus" and "thunder lizard" text and image of a dinosaur. Shortly after opening sales online, the museum's website crashed, KARE11 reports.

It was back up again by 11 a.m. By 4 p.m., they had sold 10,000 items for a total haul of $400,000. The apparel was sold in their store in addition to online, and the store sold most of its inventory by noon, according to the museum.
Rip

Post by Rip »

So this new show called Godless looks interesting......

https://www.netflix.com/watch/80222739
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

A western? Yes please.
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:02 pm A western? Yes please.

Not only that a completely out of the norm story with the cowgirls being the rough and tumble bad asses. I'm all in.

I hope they do it well because what I saw in the trailer had me wanting to click and watch it right then.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wasn’t as bad a beat down as I expected, but we still found an inexplicable way to lose by allowing 10 points and 120 passing yards in the final two minutes. Even better was when Washington got the ball back with 25 seconds left and the game tied, and they had decided to play for overtime (did a run play on first down). Whittingham, for some reason I have yet to fathom, calla a time-out to stop the clock. I guess that pissed Chris Petersen off, so he decided to air it out twice to get them in FG range, and won the game in regulation. Nothing like playing great for 58 minutes, then utterly falling apart in the final 2. :roll:

So it sets up the Toilet Bowl next week between two 5-7 teams (Utah and Colorado) to determine who gets to go to a shit bowl game. Yay.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Is Netflix making a show about it?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Fantasy football is everywhere.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:31 am Is Netflix making a show about it?
A glimpse at Netflix’s foray into sports programming, or there really will be a show called The Toilet Bowl.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Rip wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:35 pm So this new show called Godless looks interesting......

https://www.netflix.com/watch/80222739
Just finished watching it and I loved it. The promo is a bit misleading as the women play an important role but theirs is not the central story. Loved the characters, especially Jeff Daniels as the villain. And I have to add that Open Range now has some competition for the most brutal gunfight I've ever seen in a Western.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I was wondering where that post went. I remembered typing it up after last week’s Utah game, but thought it was weird that the NCAA Football topic didn’t get bumped. I just figured my phone ate it. :lol:

Back on topic, did anyone check out Bright? The Wil Smith modern fantasy movie they just released? It looked kinda cool, reminding me a lot of Tad Williams’ “War of the Flowers” novel.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:13 pm I was wondering where that post went. I remembered typing it up after last week’s Utah game, but thought it was weird that the NCAA Football topic didn’t get bumped. I just figured my phone ate it. :lol:

Back on topic, did anyone check out Bright? The Wil Smith modern fantasy movie they just released? It looked kinda cool, reminding me a lot of Tad Williams’ “War of the Flowers” novel.
Last I heard it was coming out Dec. 22. Did I miss something?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

December something. Def not out yet.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

There was an ad for it during one of the football games on Thanksgiving, and I could have sworn it said "Available Now". Apparently not.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:57 pm

Not only that a completely out of the norm story with the cowgirls being the rough and tumble bad asses. I'm all in.

I hope they do it well because what I saw in the trailer had me wanting to click and watch it right then.
3 episodes in and it’s a great little western. Gives me a little Unforgiven vibe in the main character. I was surprised to find out that the lead is Jerry O’Connell, a really good English actor I’ve been a fan of since his early days on the BBC show Skins. They also cast another member of that show too.

I was afraid the whole sub plot with the town full of women would be played off as a gimmick, but they really fleshed it out.

It still has a few too many cliches (Jeff Daniels is behind many of them), but if you like westerns you really should give it a watch.
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daveman wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:21 pm Always on the look for something that we can watch as a family (7yo daughter, 15yo son) we tried out Trollhunters last week and loved it. We blew through roughly half of the 26 episode season already. It's a Dreamworks computer animated series produced by Guillermo del Toro. A high school boy inadvertently gets involved in a war between various mythical creatures living in secret in our world. The nice voice cast includes Kelsey Grammer, Ron Perlman and the main character voiced by Anton Yelchin. Sadly Anton died mid production... I gather at some point another actor fills in for parts he didn't finish, then eventually takes over the role but we haven't encountered that yet.

It's definitely family friendly but it has just enough humor aimed at an older audience and is just dark enough (courtesy Guillermo del Toro) to appeal to adults. It's been renewed for season 2 so woohoo!
My 3.5 y.o. granddaughter loves this and joins me every morning for a session. I have to limit her to 2 episodes per day, but it got me caught up as well.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

hepcat wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:23 pm
Rip wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:57 pm

3 episodes in and it’s a great little western. Gives me a little Unforgiven vibe in the main character. I was surprised to find out that the lead is Jerry O’Connell, a really good English actor I’ve been a fan of since his early days on the BBC show Skins. They also cast another member of that show too.

I was afraid the whole sub plot with the town full of women would be played off as a gimmick, but they really fleshed it out.

It still has a few too many cliches (Jeff Bridges is behind many of them), but if you like westerns you really should give it a watch.
The kid from Stand by Me and Sliders is British? I did not know that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

D’oh...JACK O’Connell, not Jerry. :doh:
Covfefe!