Netflix Original Series

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Netflix Original Series

Post by hepcat »

I felt it was a little too manipulative at times. I would say I'm about 50 50 on my opinion of his guilt. Some of the evidence against him is quite strong.

However, I'm 100 percent certain that the legal system in place there is both corrupt and incompetent.
He won. Period.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Watching it, I felt the worst for Brendan. I think that is his name. The kid who's not too sharp. Jesus they railroaded him.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

hepcat wrote:I felt it was a little too manipulative at times. I would say I'm about 50 50 on my opinion of his guilt. Some of the evidence against him is quite strong.

However, I'm 100 percent certain that the legal system in place there is both corrupt and incompetent.
IMHO the only evidence that felt strong to me was just the find of the bones on the property. Even that was undermined somewhat by the fact that some of the bones fragments were also found a considerable distance away from the burn pile. Also, if he did kill her, I'm pretty sure it couldn't have been indoors since there were no physical remains in the house anywhere. You'd think they would have found her blood on something.

I do agree the final product was heavily weighted towards the defense. I suppose that was inevitable just due to the prosecution not being willing to participate in the process the way the defense lawyers did.

Also, Ken Kratz, for all his mild mannered demeanor, played that jury like a fiddle. I don't like him, but he did his job brilliantly, assuming his job was to bring a guilty verdict.
No sig, must scream, etc.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I believe Brendan's conviction was recently overturned. link

Also after googling that link I saw a story that avery's lawyers hope new DNA evidence may acquit him.

Personally, while the investigation was obviously beyond shady, I figured Avery probably did it, mainly because I can't fathom who else would have done it. My wife and I loathed the prosecutor in that trial.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

hepcat wrote:I felt it was a little too manipulative at times. I would say I'm about 50 50 on my opinion of his guilt. Some of the evidence against him is quite strong.

I felt about 90% sure he was guilty, but also about 100% sure that we can't have a justice system that works like that.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

what I felt about Avery was similar to what I felt about Anand from Serial; he probably did it but there's enough doubt that I'm
not sure he should've been convicted.

But yes, Brendan got royally screwed.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

RunningMn9 wrote:

I felt about 90% sure he was guilty, but also about 100% sure that we can't have a justice system that works like that.
This was my take as well.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Just started The Crown. I think that may be the best first episode of any Netflix original series I've seen. Anyone watching?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kurth wrote:Just started The Crown. I think that may be the best first episode of any Netflix original series I've seen. Anyone watching?
I'm 3 episodes in. Enjoying it a lot so far. No weak links among the cast.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, The Crown is very good! Also apparently the most expensive series Netflix has invested in at $100 million for 2 seasons. They've gone all-out on this, even putting commercials on TV for it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Rumpy wrote:Yeah, The Crown is very good! Also apparently the most expensive series Netflix has invested in at $100 million for 2 seasons. They've gone all-out on this, even putting commercials on TV for it.
You can tell!
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

3 episodes in on The Crown and wife and I are enjoying it. Can definitely tell it is a big budget.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

I'll admit it, I binged watched the Crown this week and enjoyed all of it.

If anybody else has watched all the way through, do you get a feeling that they want to do a second season? I certainly think so.
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Not only would they like to, but they ordered 2 seasons up front.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Zaxxon wrote:Not only would they like to, but they ordered 2 seasons up front.
Thx!
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image
9 Dec 2016
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

If John Lithgow doesn't win an award for his portrayal of Churchill in The Crown, there is no justice. He is killing it. I just watched episode 9 which focuses in large part on Churchill's 80th birthday and the painting of the portrait of him commissioned by parliament. That may be the best single hour of TV I have ever watched!!! Amazingly good.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

One Day at a Time
(CNN) "One Day at a Time" is that rarest of reboots, one that takes the bones of the original Norman Lear comedy that premiered in 1975 and transforms it into something fresh and vital. Buoyed by a terrific cast -- including an utterly ageless Rita Moreno -- it's the kind of show that could give both TV's nostalgia wave and the ailing sitcom format good names.
This "Day" dawns not only in a different era, but with a new ethnic flavor, starring Justina Machado (perhaps best known for "Six Feet Under") as the daughter of Cuban immigrants, and an Iraq veteran. Separated from her husband, Machado's Penelope is raising two kids (with a gender modification from the original), with help from her mom (Moreno), who gets all the best lines.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Meet Count Olaf
Out now.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Watched the first two episodes tonight. Good stuff!
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Isgrimnur wrote:One Day at a Time
(CNN) "One Day at a Time" is that rarest of reboots, one that takes the bones of the original Norman Lear comedy that premiered in 1975 and transforms it into something fresh and vital. Buoyed by a terrific cast -- including an utterly ageless Rita Moreno -- it's the kind of show that could give both TV's nostalgia wave and the ailing sitcom format good names.
This "Day" dawns not only in a different era, but with a new ethnic flavor, starring Justina Machado (perhaps best known for "Six Feet Under") as the daughter of Cuban immigrants, and an Iraq veteran. Separated from her husband, Machado's Penelope is raising two kids (with a gender modification from the original), with help from her mom (Moreno), who gets all the best lines.

Watched the first episode a few days ago. It's pretty good. They even kept the same theme, but gave it a latin flavour. Probably one of my favourite reworked themes in a reboot.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Watched the first two episodes tonight. Good stuff!
Saw some great reviews of this. I assume it would be too dark for my almost 6 year old?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Way too dark. Was almost too dark for me! Well, not really, but it was surprisingly grim for something ostensibly meant for pre-teens.
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Way too dark. Was almost too dark for me! Well, not really, but it was surprisingly grim for something ostensibly meant for pre-teens.

Watched the first episode and it is a bit surreal in a Wes Anderson kind of way. NPH kills it as Count Olaf. He is absolutely a horrible and unredeemable person.
They make sure to tell you repeatedly that this is not a happy story, not at the beginning, at the end nor in the middle. Its tone is divulged by the narrator and it is, in part, in jest but you cant say they didn't warn you.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I asked my 12 (?) year old niece if she has read the books. She said she stopped after the 3rd because it was too depressing. So I guess the show is at least consistent with the books...
Black Lives Matter
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

Rumpy wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:One Day at a Time

Watched the first episode a few days ago. It's pretty good. They even kept the same theme, but gave it a latin flavour. Probably one of my favourite reworked themes in a reboot.
Is it still located in Indianapolis? As a resident that was what I liked about the original ;)
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Got around to watching Stranger Things and wow!! I'm reliving my youth!!

Love the D&D and soundtrack. Sometimes you can go back and enjoy things the way they use to be.

Hopping on your bike to run over to your buddies house. Walkie Talkies!!

Love the show thus far, 3 episodes in.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Harkonis wrote: Is it still located in Indianapolis? As a resident that was what I liked about the original ;)

Hmmm, not sure. Looking it up on IMDB isn't giving me any information on it either. But apparently the apartment set is the same as the original. Oh and speaking of the theme song? Sung by Gloria Estafan.

Actually, I did end up finding the location tucked away in the trivia.
Set in Echo Park area of Los Angeles, they still have Schneider, the building superintendent.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Santa Clarita Diet -Feb 3rd

Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant in a comedy-horror series.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Not sure if this is covered elsewhere, but I think this crowd you really enjoy The OA on Netflix. I went in cold (it just appeared on my recommended list one day) and my wife and I binge watched it over a weekend.

I won't ruin the storyline, it's a great story so far.
No.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

ASOUE is getting some great response from my family. My daughter had read the first book, but didn't really remember much about it. I went in cold, and was surprised at how dark and twisted it was. I'm getting a real Pushing Daisies feel from it...with Barry Sonnenfeld being EP on both, I guess that makes some sense. Watched the first two episodes, hope to catch some more this weekend.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Travelers is fun.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Zaxxon wrote:Travelers is fun.
TLR has been watching it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I watched Crazyhead (6 episodes) and enjoyed it.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Dramatist wrote:I watched Crazyhead (6 episodes) and enjoyed it.
Same here! :D
-mf
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

OK, first off, I've been a huge Drew Barrymore fan for years and years. She's just been so darn cute and lovable, i just enjoy most things she's ever done.

Sooooo, we started watching the new series Santa Clarita Diet. Two episodes in and my wife loves it. I'm not as convinced, but my wife really likes it. I'll give it a couple more episodes.

However, WTF happened to Drew? Wow!

She's put on a few extra pounds (which doesn't bother me really). But she just hasn't aged as gracefully. My wife's first comment about her looks were, "what in the hell happened to cute Drew Barrymore?"

Anyone else give this a go yet?
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Not yet but going to soon. As for Drew, drugs man.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Yep - using coke since the age of 8 can really take its toll...
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It has to be tough when you're standing next to Olyphant, who apparently doesn't age. I mean, he puts some gray in his hair to throw off the Kurgan, but sheesh.
He won. Period.
nasai

Post by nasai »

The OA is nuts. Love it so far. So damn weird and challenging.
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."