Netflix Original Series

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: Netflix Original Series

Post by Smoove_B »

Probably not worthy of it's own thread yet, but Matt Groening's Disenchantment start on 8/17.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:34 am On the other hand, the Queer Eye reboot is fantastic. Watched the first episode and was surprised at how emotional it was. It also helps you realize that you're a slob that needs to get your shit together. :D
You know you're in trouble when you watch Queer Eye and keep catching yourself saying things like "His clothes aren't that bad." or "His beard doesn't look THAT wild." or "What's wrong with keeping a chair for that long?".

Thankfully my wife is too busy tearing up at all the appropriate times to connect the dots.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

DARK TOURIST is pretty great. It's a documentary series about a New Zealand journalist going around the world to various "dark tourist" locales - radiation hotspots, Japan's suicide forest, war zones. Really fascinating.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

There are tourist groups that go to radiation spots or war zones? What in the hell???
That tourist agency must hire some seriously good salespeople.

"No, no, no. You do NOT want to go to Belize. What you want, ma'am, is a romp through lovely Syria."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I put Dark Tourist in my queue Saturday after seeing the synopsis for it. It looks interesting to me.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

McNutt wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:54 pm There are tourist groups that go to radiation spots or war zones? What in the hell???
That tourist agency must hire some seriously good salespeople.

"No, no, no. You do NOT want to go to Belize. What you want, ma'am, is a romp through lovely Syria."
Yep, and it can in fact be a fun history lesson if done well. My favourite is a blog run by a Polish guy who's ventured out to Chernobyl several times as well as Fukushima, and written a book about it. His blog is a fascinating read.

https://www.podniesinski.pl/portal/?lg=en
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Disenchantment

Matt Groening does medieval fantasy. Burned through the ten episodes pretty quickly and I was sufficiently entertained.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote:Disenchantment

Matt Groening does medieval fantasy. Burned through the ten episodes pretty quickly and I was sufficiently entertained.
Consider me disenchanted with your ambivalent, faint praise.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's okay. I'm 3 episodes in and while I enjoy it, it hasn't really struck a chord with me yet. But Futurama took a while for the cast to really gel.

I will say it's a little jarring when I hear things like, "How do you feel knowing your fiance screwed 30 mermaids?" in a show from Groening. I'm not used to even that rather low level of raunchy in his shows.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Season 2 of American Vandal. The first season was great. Not sure the premise can work again.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jimmy Tatro's Dylan was the secret ingredient for season 1. Everyone else was great, don't get me wrong. But Tatro took a character who should have been just a two dimensional, one joke caricature and made him sympathetically hilarious.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That is not Sabrina from the 90s.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's a spinoff of their Riverdale.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It looks like one of the most controversial live-action adaptations is getting another go. According to a brand-new report from Netflix, Avatar: The Last Airbender will be getting a live-action adaptation.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Diablo
Activision and Netflix look to be pulling together a team to develop an animated series based on Blizzard Entertainment’s Diablo series, at least according to a now-deleted tweet from a possible writer on the project.

If everything falls into place, this would see Diablo join the animated Castlevania series in Netflix’s library of game-inspired content and adds another notable franchise to the growing list of games being picked up for TV and film adaptations.

Andrew Cosby, Hellboy writer and founder of the comic publisher Boom! Studios, tweeted yesterday that he is in final talks to sign on as the showrunner and writer for an otherwise unannounced Diablo animated series on Netflix. The tweet has since been deleted, but the folks at BloodyDisgusting were able to grab the text before Cosby removed the tweet.

“I guess I can confirm I am indeed in final talks to write and show-run the new Diablo animated series for Activision and Netflix,” read Cosby’s now-deleted Tweet. “It’s very exciting and I hope to the High Heavens it all works out.”
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Chronicles of Narnia
It looks like the world is about to meet a brand-new version of Aslan. After all, The Chronicles of Narnia has teamed up with Netflix for a new adaptation deal. According to reports, the beloved C.S. Lewis series will be getting adapted by Netflix through both film and television.
According to the report, the multi-year deal has been made between Netflix and The C.S. Lewis Company. The studio will develop Lewis’ iconic story into a full-on Narnia universe comprised of both films and TV series. All of the titles made will be Netfix productions made with Mark Gordon of Entertainment One alongside Douglas Gresham and Vincent Sieber. The trio of producers will oversee the universe’s development, and the report confirms Netflix has acquired all seven Narnia book penned by Lewis.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Disenchantment has been renewed for a second season.
The rest of Season 1 will debut in 2019, with 20 new episodes rolling out over the course of 2020 and 2021.
I know opinions are mixed, but I enjoyed it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Why the hell am I putting myself through Hill House?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Because it’s no good or because it’s creepy?
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Because it's freaking terrifying.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I’m making my way through the “Bent Neck Lady” episode which is as dreadful as it sounds.

(Dreadful as in filled with foreboding, impending doom, a bad moon rising, etc)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:05 pm Because it's freaking terrifying.
Got an email from Netflix titled "Why to watch The Haunting of Hill House" with numbered reasons:

1. Seriously spooky: Haunting imagery and sudden scares might make it hard to sleep. (We're still thinking about the Bent-Neck Lady, actually.)
2. A spellbinding narrative: Each episode focuses on a different character, weaving together two separate timelines that ultimately intersect.
3. A classic, reimagined: Shirley Jackson's novel came first, followed by film adaptations. But this modern retelling is frightfully effective.
4. The pivotal episode: Rotten Tomatoes recently named episode six of the series “arguably…the best horror entertainment to hit any screen in 2018."

Firmly in the Nope! category for me.
-mf
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:47 pm Disenchantment has been renewed for a second season.
The rest of Season 1 will debut in 2019, with 20 new episodes rolling out over the course of 2020 and 2021.
Me too. It's more traditional humor than say Bojack Horseman but I was laughing throughout.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:51 pm Why the hell am I putting myself through Hill House?
We just watched the first episode last night and my wife said we can't watch an episode every night as we have been doing for every other Netflix show ever. Apparently she found it tense. I mostly found the first episode confusing.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Malificent wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:43 am
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:47 pm Disenchantment has been renewed for a second season.
Me too. It's more traditional humor than say Bojack Horseman but I was laughing throughout.
Ditto. I thought the cast came together pretty well towards the end.
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:05 pm Because it's freaking terrifying.
Start a free trial of the Shudder channel and watch the Argentinian horror film Terrified. Then wet yourself and cry like a little baby man. ;)

But yeah, Haunting of Hill House is way better than I expected. And since I'm a huge freakin' fan of the 1963 film version, that's saying something.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

In other news, Norsemen is fantastic.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

coopasonic wrote:
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:51 pm Why the hell am I putting myself through Hill House?
We just watched the first episode last night and my wife said we can't watch an episode every night as we have been doing for every other Netflix show ever. Apparently she found it tense. I mostly found the first episode confusing.
I'm up to Ep 8 but it all starts to become clearer after a few episodes as a sense of doom settles upon you after each episode. Happy watching!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Episode 6 of Hill House is one of the best episodes of TV I think I have ever seen.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Episodes 4 and 6 both massively impressed me. I'm up through ep 8, and this whole show is a freaking masterpiece.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Stranger Things S3 coming 7/4/19

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I feel like I'm the only one not watching Stranger Things at this point.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I've heard stranger things.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’ve seen more episodes of Sabrina than Stranger Things.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I've watched both seasons.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

It's really good and there aren't that many epidsodes so it's not a massive commitment. You should give it a try.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I watched Bird Box last night. Not a series, but a pretty good Netflix Original horror movie. I've heard there's some hype/controversy around the number of accounts that have watched it, but don't care. It wouldn't have been anywhere near as tense if there weren't kids involved. As a parent, putting kids into the mix along with adults made a lot of scenes more disturbing. I liked that it wasn't completely linear and went back and forth on the story to help keep you wondering what happened to who until the last 10 minutes.

So - Hill House will be next on my list after finishing Breaking Bad (currently at the beginning of Season 4).

I have to say, too, that using an Occulus Go as my NetFlix platform has been nice. My wife got it for me last September as a birthday present. After trying out a few meh games and "experiences" I wasn't sure what to do with it. I'm not a console gamer, and it can't be connected to my computer as a 3D platform; it's a console unto itself. For me, that means it would be an expensive paper weight. Then I noticed the Netflix app on it and fired it up, watching Agents of SHIELD night after night.

It's really nice to have a very portable big-screen TV that can be sized up or down, and even set up so you can lay down on the sofa and watch your shows in comfort. Battery life is about ~150 minutes - or three 45 minute episodes with "low battery" warnings at the end of the last episode.

The only things I wouldn't recommend so far are first-person movies. Hardcore Henry gave me motion sickness like I'd get with a FOV setting that was wrong on a first-person shooter. Other than that, though, it's been nice to be "immersed" in movies - and I think it helps make creepy movies creepier by cutting out any visual distractions from reality.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Anyone else watch the third season of Travelers?

I just finished it and found it most enjoyable. I was disappointed
Spoiler:
that they killed off Hall, as he was among my favourite characters in the show. Then again, given the way the third season concluded it's possible he may return.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
naednek

Post by naednek »

Paingod wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:37 am I watched Bird Box last night. Not a series, but a pretty good Netflix Original horror movie. I've heard there's some hype/controversy around the number of accounts that have watched it, but don't care. It wouldn't have been anywhere near as tense if there weren't kids involved. As a parent, putting kids into the mix along with adults made a lot of scenes more disturbing. I liked that it wasn't completely linear and went back and forth on the story to help keep you wondering what happened to who until the last 10 minutes.

So - Hill House will be next on my list after finishing Breaking Bad (currently at the beginning of Season 4).

I have to say, too, that using an Occulus Go as my NetFlix platform has been nice. My wife got it for me last September as a birthday present. After trying out a few meh games and "experiences" I wasn't sure what to do with it. I'm not a console gamer, and it can't be connected to my computer as a 3D platform; it's a console unto itself. For me, that means it would be an expensive paper weight. Then I noticed the Netflix app on it and fired it up, watching Agents of SHIELD night after night.

It's really nice to have a very portable big-screen TV that can be sized up or down, and even set up so you can lay down on the sofa and watch your shows in comfort. Battery life is about ~150 minutes - or three 45 minute episodes with "low battery" warnings at the end of the last episode.

The only things I wouldn't recommend so far are first-person movies. Hardcore Henry gave me motion sickness like I'd get with a FOV setting that was wrong on a first-person shooter. Other than that, though, it's been nice to be "immersed" in movies - and I think it helps make creepy movies creepier by cutting out any visual distractions from reality.
and you can watch boobies without your wife getting upset :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"