How long after its expiration date will you eat something?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: How long after its expiration date will you eat somethin

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote:The sudden snapping into focus of what I was seeing made me almost vomit, and I still can't look at well-cooked quinoa, with all those little natural healthy separated rings, without feeling it all over again.
Maggots, Michael. You're eating maggots. How do they taste?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I had that happen to me one time. Except it was rice. And the difference is, my mother-in-law cooked it without noticing it. And we ate it.

About halfway through dinner I noticed some of the grains had heads.

Yeah....it took me awhile to eat rice again.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote:
killbot737 wrote:I throw... veggies when they get nasty/black wilty/slimy.
Forgot produce. That's pretty much how it works for me. And that time comes too quick to buy much produce at a time, so as a result I don't buy much fresh produce.
Fully half of my grocery budget goes to produce (thanks in part to my semi-vegetarian wife). Some things, like root crops, have a pretty decent shelf/fridge life, but for most fresh food you have to buy no more than you plan to use...which implies planning. Not many people do that.

Last week I needed a bag of baby spinach for a recipe. The store was having a buy 1 get 1 sale, so I choose a free bag of spring greens with no idea what I would use them for. I used a small portion for a side salad one day but the rest ended up on the compost bin. Vegetables just don't work as impulse buys.
killbot737 wrote: I do smell skunks but to me it's just sour like a super-lemon and apparently not whatever everyone else perceives.
Skunk odor always makes me hungry. I perceive it as a meat smell. I have no idea why.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:
Holman wrote:The sudden snapping into focus of what I was seeing made me almost vomit, and I still can't look at well-cooked quinoa, with all those little natural healthy separated rings, without feeling it all over again.
Maggots, Michael. You're eating maggots. How do they taste?
What, you don't like quinoa? Tell me Michael how can a billion hippies be wrong?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

BooTx wrote:Go out tomorrow and buy a freaking probe thermometer.

Then you can cook it to the correct temperature and stop worrying about what color it is.
What the...you mean I'm supposed to use that for food?! There's a smart ass at Target I need to have a talk with...
Covfefe!
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I don't eat it if its past its date(regardless of the kind of date), I don't eat it if it smells funny, I don't eat it if it looks funny, I don't eat it if its stale, I don't eat it if it sounds funny, I don't eat it if I get a bad vibe coming from it.

I don't consume miso, mushrooms, blue cheese, or wine because they taste and smell like spoiled food.

My meat has to be well done, none of that pink in the middle crap, and also nothing juicy, I don't want juicy meat, I want it dry and well cooked. Juicy meat leads to juicy bowels.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: a smart ass
I see what you did there.
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

Kraken wrote:Skunk odor always makes me hungry. I perceive it as a meat smell. I have no idea why.
Smells most like really strong, rotting onions to me.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It looks my 'throw it away' approach is a little more conservative than most. To be honest, a lot of that is the kids. I don't take chances with the kids.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

triggercut wrote:Never not ever.
++
18-1™ & 2-0
Odin

Post by Odin »

Totally depends on what it is. A "sell by" date is just that - the date when the store should sell it by. In most cases the product is fine for some time after that once you get it home.

* Yogurt keeps for months, so I don't worry about that. I've eaten yogurt that was literally months past its sell-by date and it was fine.
* Milk's good for a week or more past it's sell-by date. Note, however, that I'm that guy who peers around in the milk case and will reach to the back to get the milk with the latest sell-by date, because I want the freshest milk.
* Eggs keep for a while, but note that they, like lots of foods, lose their nutrients the older they get, so while they may taste and work fine, they're not nearly as healthy after a month or two. I wish we were zoned to be able to keep chickens - farm-fresh eggs would rock.
* I'll let cooked meat sit in the fridge for a week or so, but raw meat has to be cooked or frozen within a few days after I buy it - especially poultry.
* I'll let produce go for a while - if it's still the right color and reasonably crisp, it's okay.

Most of the rest of the stuff we buy we either use right away or (rarely) we keep it forever and eventually throw it out. Every so often we clean out the pantry and throw away that can of beans from 2001. Then there's the processed food like pasta and rice that as far as I'm concerned will last longer than me.
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

Jaymon wrote:I don't eat it if its past its date(regardless of the kind of date), I don't eat it if it smells funny, I don't eat it if it looks funny, I don't eat it if its stale, I don't eat it if it sounds funny, I don't eat it if I get a bad vibe coming from it.

I don't consume miso, mushrooms, blue cheese, or wine because they taste and smell like spoiled food.

My meat has to be well done, none of that pink in the middle crap, and also nothing juicy, I don't want juicy meat, I want it dry and well cooked. Juicy meat leads to juicy bowels.
You poor bastard.
Odin

Post by Odin »

BooTx wrote:
Jaymon wrote:I don't eat it if its past its date(regardless of the kind of date), I don't eat it if it smells funny, I don't eat it if it looks funny, I don't eat it if its stale, I don't eat it if it sounds funny, I don't eat it if I get a bad vibe coming from it.

You poor bastard.
Wow. Really. You could probably just switch to dry dog food and not notice much difference.
MHS

Post by MHS »

KKBlue wrote:When it comes to others that I am cooking for, I typically use fresh ingredients.
Oh, absolutely. I wouldn't serve something to other people that was past its prime. I'm willing to chance things with my own health, but I would feel terrible if I gave someone else food poisoning or something.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Crazy Lady

Post by Crazy Lady »

If it smells or looks funny I will not even attempt it. If it is open and in the fridge for more than a week (with the exception of cheese) I will not eat/drink it. Not even leftovers. As for medicine, most of the time it is still good for 6 months after the sell by date, according to the drug reps.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

BooTx wrote:Go out tomorrow and buy a freaking probe thermometer.

Enlarge Image

Then you can cook it to the correct temperature and stop worrying about what color it is.
Smoove can probably either back me up or tell me I'm wrong, but I thought a lot of the time meat can make you sick not from live bacteria but from the toxins they produce as waste. You can't cook that out.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Smoove can probably either back me up or tell me I'm wrong, but I thought a lot of the time meat can make you sick not from live bacteria but from the toxins they produce as waste. You can't cook that out.
And that's why you shouldn't eat rancid meat.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Smoove can probably either back me up or tell me I'm wrong, but I thought a lot of the time meat can make you sick not from live bacteria but from the toxins they produce as waste. You can't cook that out.
True. It all comes back to how it was handled and the type of meAt product you're talking about. I could cook up a steak but if I touch the leftovers with my bare hands as I'm putting it into a container to eat two days from now, there's a possibility of transferring staph bacteria from my body to the meat surface where they might reproduce. If those colonies grow large enough, there's a good chance of ingesting enough to make you sick because during the reheating process the staph toxin remains - it' is very heat stable. Same with Botulinum toxins and many of the fish and shellfish toxins.

When you are looking at dates on food packages, you're relying on how it was handled before you purchased it and then (more importantly, most likely) how it was handled from the shelf to your refrigerator (or freezer). For leftovers? How did you handle the food item after it was cooked?

I would always be on the phone with people regarding milk. The classic call was about how they purchased milk (in July) with a "Sell by" date that was for another week. However, after buying the milk they stopped to pick up dry cleaning, made a trip to the post office and then grabbed their kid at school. Somehow people are confused as to how the milk went from being in a 40 degree refrigerated case to then sitting in the back seat of the car where it was likely 70+ degrees for 45 minutes means it's probably going to "go bad" sooner than you think (regardless of the "sell by" date).
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Smoove_B wrote: I would always be on the phone with people regarding milk. The classic call was about how they purchased milk (in July) with a "Sell by" date that was for another week. However, after buying the milk they stopped to pick up dry cleaning, made a trip to the post office and then grabbed their kid at school. Somehow people are confused as to how the milk went from being in a 40 degree refrigerated case to then sitting in the back seat of the car where it was likely 70+ degrees for 45 minutes means it's probably going to "go bad" sooner than you think (regardless of the "sell by" date).

The idea of calling the health department from spoiled food never even because a glimmer of an idea.

What is wrong with people?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

That's just silly. Buying the perishables is always the last stop.

I'm really cavalier about dates on packages, but careful about handling.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

silverjon wrote:That's just silly. Buying the perishables is always the last stop.

I'm really cavalier about dates on packages, but careful about handling.
Not only that, I only shop at places that organize from back to cash registers: Pantry>Produce>Refrigerator>Frozen. I go to the back of the store and then work my way forward. The more cold sensitive items need to be the last things that go in my cart. I don't want my frozens thawing for an hour or more while I grocery shop. Espeically not in the summer, where they then have to get in a 80 degree plus car that has to cool down on 10 or 15 minute or more drive home.

One day I will take it a step further and buy thermal freezer shopping bags and when I do, that will become a new compulsion as well. "What do you mean, you want me to buy frozen food items when I don't have my thermal bags? How on earth with my frozens stay frozen?"
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I make sure all the cold/frozen items are packed together so their collective mass helps to keep them that way, and they're easier to get all put away faster as well.

On foot on a hot day, I think an insulated bag and cold packs might be my next logical step.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

silverjon wrote:I make sure all the cold/frozen items are packed together so their collective mass helps to keep them that way, and they're easier to get all put away faster as well.
I do this as well (as well as then sub categorized by item bulk, mass, and fragility) and then I load them on to the conveyer belt that way as well, so after the food is scanned it's bagged in it's proper grouping and then packed in my car in proper grouping and then put way in proper grouping.

You'd think with all of the idiosyncrasies, I'd be stickler for detail and clean and neat freak but I'm a filthy slob with and have no attention to detail. It makes no sense.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here's a perfect example - using bread:
MicroZap Inc. claims its technology allows bread to stay mold-free for 60 days. The bread is bombarded with microwaves for about 10 seconds, which kills the mold spores, said chief executive officer Don Stull said.

Unrefrigerated bread in plastic packaging will succumb to mold in about 10 days, so keeping it at bay for 60 days presents a fresh proposition.
I'm sure we'd all love shelf-stable bread sitting in a supermarket for 45+ days, however the important point is buried here:
Not so fast, says Ruth MacDonald, professor and chair of food science and human nutrition at Iowa State University. There are thousands of airborne mold spores everywhere, she said, adding that though bread producers might like the technology for storage and transportation, those spores are problematic at home.

"Once you open (the bag of bread), all bets are off," she said.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Smoove_B wrote:Here's a perfect example - using bread:
MicroZap Inc. claims its technology allows bread to stay mold-free for 60 days. The bread is bombarded with microwaves for about 10 seconds, which kills the mold spores, said chief executive officer Don Stull said.

Unrefrigerated bread in plastic packaging will succumb to mold in about 10 days, so keeping it at bay for 60 days presents a fresh proposition.
I'm sure we'd all love shelf-stable bread sitting in a supermarket for 45+ days, however the important point is buried here:
Not so fast, says Ruth MacDonald, professor and chair of food science and human nutrition at Iowa State University. There are thousands of airborne mold spores everywhere, she said, adding that though bread producers might like the technology for storage and transportation, those spores are problematic at home.

/signed
Sourdough bread

ps. At least our kids can do trigonometry. (allegedly)
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:Here's a perfect example - using bread:

Wait...mold is everywhere?!? AAAAAAAAAARRRRGGHHHHH! (jumps out window)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
chefofyourlife

Re: How long after its expiration date will you eat something?

Post by chefofyourlife »

Necro spam... Tasty!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You know how long it would have taken me to look up this thread even f I knew it existed?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I pulled the package of huge Reese’s peanut butter cups off the shelf this weekend. The taste and texture left something to be desired

Best by date: 2017

Into the trash they go.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I have yogurt in my fridge that says it expired in March. Still seems fine.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

gilraen wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:47 am I have yogurt in my fridge that says it expired in March. Still seems fine.
Well yogurt is essentially spoiled milk, so there's that.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:15 am I pulled the package of huge Reese’s peanut butter cups off the shelf this weekend. The taste and texture left something to be desired

Into the trash they go.
Sacrilege! I would totally have eaten those.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

stessier wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:52 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:15 am I pulled the package of huge Reese’s peanut butter cups off the shelf this weekend. The taste and texture left something to be desired

Into the trash they go.
Sacrilege! I would totally have eaten those.
Milk chocolate has an amazingly short shelf life, especially if it hasn't been kept cool.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Trust me, the quality that is present in a fresh or even frozen Reese's product had escaped quite some time ago.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

There is an episode of Adam Ruins Everything where he talks about "sell by" and "best by" labeling. Most of that info is useless.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

"On Dumpster Diving," by Lars Eighner
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Not strictly topical, but related.

I got these pickles from a Jewish deli (though they're not produced on site) and they've been sitting in the fridge, sealed, for several months. I noticed there's a gross white-grey slime on the edges of the pickles as well as the base of the jar. When disturbed it clouds up. They're the kind of pickles that say to refrigerate. (Are these the ones that are technically fermented, not pickled? Do they need to be consumed much faster than shelf stable ones?)

A brief googling suggests this is either kahm yeast (edible, but can cause unpleasant flavours), or of course the other option is mold.

I'm a "when in doubt, throw it out" kinda guy, but it would also be a shame to waste edible pickles. Haven't bothered with the smell test yet because I wouldn't be sure they were safe even if they smelled fine to me.

Any of you food safety aficionados and/or picklers have any advice?

Potentially gross, you may not want to view these pics while you're eating:
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

"when in doubt, throw it out"
This. I hate to waste food but I have too many digestive issues already. I find myself googling "Is it OK to eat..." but then go by your rule anyway and then mostly purge stuff. I think the one think the two things I tend to eat well after their "best by" dates are hot sauce and eggs. Most other things get pitched. Fortunately, I watch best by dates and tend to eat things well before I have doubt.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Toss. Just the first pic is enough.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Appearances can be deceiving.

I mean have you seen how fucking kombucha is made? Chtulhuesque doesn't sufficiently describe it.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg