Home Projects (upkeep/repair/mods/cool sh*t/advice/question)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: Home Projects (upkeep/repair/mods/cool sh*t/advice/quest

Post by Carpet_pissr »

You might want to consider a water leveler? Mine is a Poolmiser and seems to work great.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I've considered it but think I'll have to hold off. There isn't a clean path from the faucet to the pool. I'd have to pull up tons of patio to make it work. Not impossible but not worth tackling just yet.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Cannot delete
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote:I've considered it but think I'll have to hold off. There isn't a clean path from the faucet to the pool. I'd have to pull up tons of patio to make it work. Not impossible but not worth tackling just yet.
Yeah, just from glancing at my manual about the install, that seems to be something you want to put in with the construction, not retro. Yike.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Right and it does appear that a solar cover helps alot. The last two days have been pretty good; I trimmed it up yesterday morning. At the very least it keeps the temperature up which will extend the season for us. I was able to get some pool time in today despite the water clocking in at 73. Hopefully it'll be in the low 80s by next weekend.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I hung two drapery rods this weekend without incident (although it was close - if you go into a stud, you use 1/8" pilot holes while into just sheetrock, it's 5/16". I hit just sheetrock on the first 4 (out of 6) and though about just going with the 5/16, but stuck with the program and was rewarded with studs on my last two holes).

I am a handy man - hear me roar! :lol:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Pfft. I'm a week ahead of you. I hung new curtain rods LAST weekend. :P

This weekend it was moving 2 (TWO!) sets of blinds from one set of doors to another. METAL doors, mind, you!

With the new house, I have so many projects going on at one time, and so many pending, it's literally overwhelming me to the point of causing "project lock" or whatever you want to call it. I basically got piddly shit done this weekend, because I spent so much time pondering what to do next, how to do it, etc.

Also, trips to Lowe's/Home Deport put a big hurt in my weekend project productivity. Those stores seem to just suck the hours out of my weekends.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
telcta

Post by telcta »

After the move into the new condo, finally got around to updating a bunch of little things. Replaced all the locks, got one door re-keyed so now we have just one key for all entry doors. Tried my first LED lights in the kitchen and replaced other bulbs throughout the condo with CFLs.

I couldn't remove a lightbulb from an overhead fixture and duct tape came to the rescue. This worked great and I didn't have to worry about the bulb shattering in my hands.

One showerhead was a bear to remove but after some WD40 in the threads for a couple days, I was able to loosen and remove. My wife reminded me not to break anything because a plumber will be very expensive over the Memorial Day weekend.

I would love to play around with the Philip's Hue wireless lights as well as the Nest, but I don't see that happening any time soon.
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

telcta wrote:After the move into the new condo, finally got around to updating a bunch of little things. Replaced all the locks, got one door re-keyed so now we have just one key for all entry doors. Tried my first LED lights in the kitchen and replaced other bulbs throughout the condo with CFLs.

I couldn't remove a lightbulb from an overhead fixture and duct tape came to the rescue. This worked great and I didn't have to worry about the bulb shattering in my hands.

One showerhead was a bear to remove but after some WD40 in the threads for a couple days, I was able to loosen and remove. My wife reminded me not to break anything because a plumber will be very expensive over the Memorial Day weekend.

I would love to play around with the Philip's Hue wireless lights as well as the Nest, but I don't see that happening any time soon.
I think I would go insteon instead for versatility of both manufacturers and components.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Had never heard of Philips Hue. Just went through their website....VERY cool!

Something else for the wish list...
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Had never heard of Philips Hue. Just went through their website....VERY cool!

Don't fall for that, anyone can make a pretty website.

Look at this: http://www.smarthome.com/2672-222/INSTE ... ulb/p.aspx" target="_blank
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

telcta wrote:After the move into the new condo, finally got around to updating a bunch of little things. Replaced all the locks, got one door re-keyed so now we have just one key for all entry doors.

Since you are into home automation apparently, did you consider a lock like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Schlage-BE469NXCA ... ds=schlage" target="_blank

Enlarge Image

I have one of these installed on my front door, and a few of the non touch screen ones (keypad deadbolt for garage door, and keypad with handles for two doors in back). I have to say, it is VERY nice not to have to worry about house keys, or if you locked yourself out, or if you have your key with you. The one shown above also has some home automation component, where you can control it remotely via app, but I have never set it up (nor wanted it frankly).

Also useful for contractors that might need to get in, or cleaners, etc. You can give them a code, and expire it or delete when you want.

Instead of paying $2,000 for a safety cover for the pool (we have a 2 year old), I decided to put the keyless keypad locks below on the two back doors that go out to the pool, but reversed them so you need the code to get out. When you exit, and the door closes behind you, they auto lock. From the OUTSIDE, you just turn the handle and they open. They also have versions that don't auto lock. Probably would not pass fire code (like double sided deadbolts in some places) but once the young un learns to swim, I will just reverse them to normal.

Enlarge Image
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

ibdoomed wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:Had never heard of Philips Hue. Just went through their website....VERY cool!

Look at this: http://www.smarthome.com/2672-222/INSTE ... ulb/p.aspx" target="_blank
Noice! Much cheaper as well.
telcta

Post by telcta »

ibdoomed wrote:

Thanks, I'll have to check more into Insteon, never heard of it. I never knew about Philips either until I read a story about a software upgrade giving geo fencing capabilities to turn on/off lights. Definitely some fun stuff out there and since I'm in a more manageable condo I can experiment a bit.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Since you are into home automation apparently, did you consider a lock like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Schlage-BE469NXCA ... ds=schlage" target="_blank
That's pretty sweet looking. Unfortunately I'm pretty limited to what I can install on the outside of our front door. However, we do have a wireless garage door keypad that was part of the condo and I'm thinking of upgrading to a better unit that allows for temporary keys that can be set by # of times used or # of hours valid.

I like the idea of having a contractor use a pin code to enter through the garage and leave the entry door inside the garage unlocked. Now, if I could program the wireless keypad remotely, that would be both awesome and dangerous.

Once I'm comfortable understanding the AC and gas heat (thank god I don't have to worry about filling oil tanks anymore) I'll be playing around more with automation.
stessier

Post by stessier »

telcta wrote:After the move into the new condo, finally got around to updating a bunch of little things. Replaced all the locks, got one door re-keyed so now we have just one key for all entry doors. Tried my first LED lights in the kitchen and replaced other bulbs throughout the condo with CFLs.
I'm curious why you tried a LED but put CFLs everywhere else. Did the LED not meet expectations?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
telcta

Post by telcta »

stessier wrote:
I'm curious why you tried a LED but put CFLs everywhere else. Did the LED not meet expectations?
There's a ceiling fan next to the kitchen with the open light fixtures underneath attached to a dimmer. I put an LED there to try it out and it buzzed so I moved the LED to an enclosed ceiling fixture in the kitchen, which also has a dimmer, and it seems fine. With a 4-pack of CFLs for less than $3 and the others from the old house, it was less expensive to swap out the old bulbs for now.

I hope the buzzing isn't normal with LEDs because I'd love to put them where dimmers are. The LEDs I grabbed were $12 each for 2700k, 60w equivalent, which I thought was low enough to start playing with. I just need more time and patience to experiment and I wanted those old bulbs out quickly.
stessier

Post by stessier »

telcta wrote:
stessier wrote:
There's a ceiling fan next to the kitchen with the open light fixtures underneath attached to a dimmer. I put an LED there to try it out and it buzzed so I moved the LED to an enclosed ceiling fixture in the kitchen, which also has a dimmer, and it seems fine. With a 4-pack of CFLs for less than $3 and the others from the old house, it was less expensive to swap out the old bulbs for now.

I hope the buzzing isn't normal with LEDs because I'd love to put them where dimmers are. The LEDs I grabbed were $12 each for 2700k, 60w equivalent, which I thought was low enough to start playing with. I just need more time and patience to experiment and I wanted those old bulbs out quickly.
I've installed 24 of the bulbs you linked and none of them have buzzed. I don't have any dimmers, though. You should be careful using them in enclosed fixtures, though. They aren't rated for that and you may end up with a shorter lifespan as a result.
telcta

Post by telcta »

stessier wrote:I've installed 24 of the bulbs you linked and none of them have buzzed. I don't have any dimmers, though. You should be careful using them in enclosed fixtures, though. They aren't rated for that and you may end up with a shorter lifespan as a result.
Figures that first one I installed buzzed, because of it being on a dimmer? Not sure, I'll have to check it out again.

How would I know what's rated for an enclosed fixture when I'm looking at LEDs? Could it be that rubberized coating on the bulb? I actually wasn't expecting that type of feel, I first thought the bulb was sweating.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

The packaging usually specifies. I don't know that I've seen an LED bulb that says it's ok to use in an enclosed fixture.

What I did notice while looking at light fixtures is that a lot of the enclosed styles are now available in similar-looking "dropped" models as well, so that they are not fully enclosed. I assumed this was so that they'd be compatible with all the newer bulbs.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
telcta

Post by telcta »

silverjon wrote:The packaging usually specifies. I don't know that I've seen an LED bulb that says it's ok to use in an enclosed fixture.

What I did notice while looking at light fixtures is that a lot of the enclosed styles are now available in similar-looking "dropped" models as well, so that they are not fully enclosed. I assumed this was so that they'd be compatible with all the newer bulbs.
I was going to put LEDs in all of these. I should probably replace these full enclosed fixtures with something that's open.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I bought two LED's for one of my outdoor motion detector lights (flood light style lamps), and I am still not sure it was a wise "investment", considering how low the kWh cost is here.

The bulbs are performing fine, and you wouldn't even know they were LED compared to the traditional bulbs I am using in the front of the house (same security light/motion detector housing), but at around $35 each, vs about $5 each for the traditional PAR38 incandescent type....that would take years to make up in cost. Of course it's greener, so you have that.
stessier

Post by stessier »

silverjon wrote:The packaging usually specifies. I don't know that I've seen an LED bulb that says it's ok to use in an enclosed fixture.

Here's a link to a thread where we were discussing LEDs recently.

And here's a link to the only bulbs I've found that said they are rated for enclosed use. They are way more expensive and are liquid cooled. On the plus side, they show a picture of exactly the type of fixture you are looking to put them in. :)

I decided to keep the CFL/incandescents in these type of fixtures until they burn out rather than pre-emptively changing them like I have with the other fixtures. We don't use them as much and I'm hoping LED tech will move forward fast enough to lower the price of these by the time I need them.
telcta

Post by telcta »

stessier wrote:Here's a link to a thread where we were discussing LEDs recently
Thanks, I'll be back. This is what I get for jumping into something half-assed. I must slow down and rethink my light bulb strategy.
WPD

Post by WPD »

I've officially given up on using our current electric mower and given into spousal pressure to get a gas. It did a decent enough job last year, but this year I have been out of town twice since the grass started growing and so once went 2 weeks and once a week and a half and it just didn't cut it (not literally). I had to go through 1 1/2 to 2 charges to complete the yard and what it did cut, did not look fantastic. Oh well.
Later ya'll.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Are you saying the problem was not enough power from the electric to cut dense/high growth? If so, how old is the mower?

More importantly, how many amps does it have?
WPD

Post by WPD »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Are you saying the problem was not enough power from the electric to cut dense/high growth? If so, how old is the mower?

More importantly, how many amps does it have?
Yeah, it never has had great luck in cutting dense/high growth since I purchased it last spring. If I don't cut it weekly it becomes hell. It has a 36V battery. Not sure of the amperage.

This review of the mower sums up the issue for me. The one lower on the page about the bag not holding anything is the other negative that I have definitely experienced.
Later ya'll.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ouch. Thanks for sharing, as I have been waiting impatiently for my gas mower to die so I can go electric, and I assumed the replacement tech was already there, but apparently not.

I would not be worried as much about run time (you can always get two batts), but power is definitely something I would need to be equivalent, especially since I usually mulch (which takes more power) instead of discharge.

I also have a very dense Empire Zoysia grass (though not as dense as the old school varietals, with really fine blades), that already can bog down my gas motor (6.5HP maybe?) occasionally if I let the grass grow for too long.

Maybe the next gen mowers (which should be coming out soon, if not already out) can get the power up, but I think most current battery tech coming out is more focused on run time and much slower discharge rate than it is on power. AFAIK, a 18V NiCd battery has just as much power as an 18V Lithium Ion, but it's the run time, and (to me), more importantly, the much slower discharge rate of the LI batteries that make them better for these kinds of tools.
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Ouch. Thanks for sharing, as I have been waiting impatiently for my gas mower to die so I can go electric, and I assumed the replacement tech was already there, but apparently not.

I would not be worried as much about run time (you can always get two batts), but power is definitely something I would need to be equivalent, especially since I usually mulch (which takes more power) instead of discharge.

I also have a very dense Empire Zoysia grass (though not as dense as the old school varietals, with really fine blades), that already can bog down my gas motor (6.5HP maybe?) occasionally if I let the grass grow for too long.

Maybe the next gen mowers (which should be coming out soon, if not already out) can get the power up, but I think most current battery tech coming out is more focused on run time and much slower discharge rate than it is on power. AFAIK, a 18V NiCd battery has just as much power as an 18V Lithium Ion, but it's the run time, and (to me), more importantly, the much slower discharge rate of the LI batteries that make them better for these kinds of tools.
Here ya go: http://www2.fiskars.com/Gardening-and-Y ... bX--pyBMg4" target="_blank
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

If I didn't have 1/2 an acre to cut, I might consider that!
malchior

Post by malchior »

This weekend I improved -- at least in my opinion -- the area around my pool. We had a couple of pine trees (about 18 - 20 feet tall each on the northeast corner of my pool as well as a Japanese maple. These trees were on either side of a light pole deep in between the two trees. We did not even know it existed until we started trimming the trees. My belief is that they were originally two small shrubs planted on either side of this lightpole when the pool was first build in the 80s. Either way, they were two full pine trees that blocked sunlight onto the pool for the entire morning. My father-in-law and I cut most of the branches with a pole saw and I finished them off with my trusty electric chainsaw. We dramatically improved the sight lines next to the pool and hopefully -- when we have a sunny day -- I hope to get at least 2 more hours of sunlight onto the pool. That should help get the temperature of the water up.

We also started up a mini-garden -- just a couple of tomato plants, some herbs and cucumbers. This is only in a planter box for now. We haven't sited the full size garden just yet -- looking at something more permanent for next year.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I have an 800 square foot, first floor condo. It has gas heat / electricity, and the furnace forces hot air into each room w/ the intake in the hallway. I want to add air conditioning but anything has to be contained in the basement: I can't put the condenser outside. Here is what I have figured out for myself so far....

1) This won't be cheap.
2) I have enough space above the furnace to put a 3' or less condenser coil or whatever it is that needs to go up there.

Other than that, I have no idea how to go about this. Help? My Google-fu has been not very helpful so far.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

That's a job where I would just call an A/C pro and hope they are honest with you. Get another quote to be sure, or two others for best insurance. Some things, I try to do myself, but HVAC is not one of them.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote:This weekend I improved -- at least in my opinion -- the area around my pool. We had a couple of pine trees (about 18 - 20 feet tall each on the northeast corner of my pool as well as a Japanese maple. These trees were on either side of a light pole deep in between the two trees. We did not even know it existed until we started trimming the trees. My belief is that they were originally two small shrubs planted on either side of this lightpole when the pool was first build in the 80s. Either way, they were two full pine trees that blocked sunlight onto the pool for the entire morning. My father-in-law and I cut most of the branches with a pole saw and I finished them off with my trusty electric chainsaw. We dramatically improved the sight lines next to the pool and hopefully -- when we have a sunny day -- I hope to get at least 2 more hours of sunlight onto the pool. That should help get the temperature of the water up.

We also started up a mini-garden -- just a couple of tomato plants, some herbs and cucumbers. This is only in a planter box for now. We haven't sited the full size garden just yet -- looking at something more permanent for next year.
PICS
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Carpet_pissr wrote:That's a job where I would just call an A/C pro and hope they are honest with you. Get another quote to be sure, or two others for best insurance. Some things, I try to do myself, but HVAC is not one of them.
Definitely having a pro do it, I just want to understand what needs to be done so I don't get completely screwed. :)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Not quite sure what you're trying to do, but have you heard of mini split systems? No possibility of using a mini-split system http://www.heatandcool.com/Ductless-Air ... 1591348166" target="_blank there? Mini splits are very nice in my experience. Might want to go for higher quality though, I've had a blade shatter on a cheaper unit. There are mini splits with more than one wall unit also. Didn't think to show one, but that's more likely what you'd want. http://ecomfort.com/36000-btu-quad-zone ... 7Aod0G0Asw" target="_blank
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

em2nought wrote:Not quite sure what you're trying to do.......
I have a furnace in the basement w/ forced hot air through ducts in the floor. I live in a condo, so I can not put anything outside for the air conditioner / condensing unit. In theory I can add a cooling appliance in the basement to cool my house. I just don't know how to go about it. (Note: I am NOT going to do it myself. Just researching what I would need to hire people to do.)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
malchior wrote:This weekend I improved -- at least in my opinion -- the area around my pool. We had a couple of pine trees (about 18 - 20 feet tall each on the northeast corner of my pool as well as a Japanese maple. These trees were on either side of a light pole deep in between the two trees. We did not even know it existed until we started trimming the trees. My belief is that they were originally two small shrubs planted on either side of this lightpole when the pool was first build in the 80s. Either way, they were two full pine trees that blocked sunlight onto the pool for the entire morning. My father-in-law and I cut most of the branches with a pole saw and I finished them off with my trusty electric chainsaw. We dramatically improved the sight lines next to the pool and hopefully -- when we have a sunny day -- I hope to get at least 2 more hours of sunlight onto the pool. That should help get the temperature of the water up.

PICS
I would love to see a shot of your pool area...trying to get some ideas about mine, and also currently have a jap. maple nearby in a pot, waiting to be planted...just not sure if I want a tree that close to the pool.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yea, I'll try to find a way to take good shot. I actually added a light pole on Friday morning on one corner of the pool. At some time in the past it was there but was removed and there was just a wire sticking out of the ground. I dug a new post hole and installed a pole there again. I had a big party on Saturday so I didn't want the loose wire there and it added some light to a darker corner of the backyard.

My pool area is apparently quite nice (lacking reference I thought it was standard) -- but I am getting the liner done next month and the pool guy was talking about how easy the job was going to be and how modern - well laid out everything was. Guess that is a good sign.

Edit: As to the trees - I'd recommend some distance. The leaves are a bitch. Even mid-season a windy storm can really drop quite a few leaves into a pool. I have a lot of trees around and it isn't "awful" so if it was one tree...it probably won't be bad but factor in how much shade you'll create and whether that is desirable for maintaining water temperature versus people having a refuge when it's real sunny / etc.

The trunk is probably at least 15 feet off a corner of the pool (grecian) adjacent to the biggest portion of the deck.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I guess I'll post this here instead of the garden thread, since it's more a thing about ornamentals and landscaping than growing food, but I got an "In Bloom" nomination this year, which is a pretty-yard competition held in my city. This has been a long-term goal of mine, but I wasn't expecting it for a while. Honestly, I'm kind of shocked it came now since there are piles of building materials lying around, untrimmed grass along the edges of flower beds, etc. I guess the flowers have looked nice enough to draw the casual observer's eye away from all that.

I feel especially pleased about it because the yard is a product of my design and labour, largely accomplished with scavenged plants and materials. You see a lot of nominees where their yard looks like it came out of a magazine, and was likely professionally designed and put together. Mine is rougher around the edges, but it's personal.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?