Home Projects (upkeep/repair/mods/cool sh*t/advice/question)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

malchior

Re: Home Projects (upkeep/repair/mods/cool sh*t/advice/quest

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
malchior wrote:This was a good weekend for yard work. I put down about 4.5 cubic yards of mulch and finished off the front and left side of the house after an initial 2 cubic yards last week. It had been neglected by the previous owner for several years and needed a full 3" cover. I probably have some spots on the right side of the house that needs another 1.5 yards then I'm good. The backyard probably needs another 3 yards and then I'm set. A lot of work but it looks much better and should reduce weeding significantly.

I also got the pool from green to a light blue but it is very cloudy. I'm looking at a week of filtration at least I think. Not that clarity is that important right now since the water temp is still only 56 degrees. It'll be interesting to see if we can even use it on memorial day weekend or not.
You're freaking me out, man. We must be living in parallel universes, as this is about the third post of yours that I read and think "is someone in my head and writing posts about my shit?!"

I did the exact same things this weekend, down to getting the pool from green to blue, and it being around 56 degrees (due to my recent adventures in draining and refilling said pool). Definitely a chilly start to May. Kids are getting antsy wanting to go swim.
Here is the final test then -- did you also find 2 loose dogs and return them to their owners. :ninja:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:
malchior wrote:This was a good weekend for yard work. I put down about 4.5 cubic yards of mulch and finished off the front and left side of the house after an initial 2 cubic yards last week. It had been neglected by the previous owner for several years and needed a full 3" cover. I probably have some spots on the right side of the house that needs another 1.5 yards then I'm good. The backyard probably needs another 3 yards and then I'm set. A lot of work but it looks much better and should reduce weeding significantly.

I also got the pool from green to a light blue but it is very cloudy. I'm looking at a week of filtration at least I think. Not that clarity is that important right now since the water temp is still only 56 degrees. It'll be interesting to see if we can even use it on memorial day weekend or not.
You're freaking me out, man. We must be living in parallel universes, as this is about the third post of yours that I read and think "is someone in my head and writing posts about my shit?!"

I did the exact same things this weekend, down to getting the pool from green to blue, and it being around 56 degrees (due to my recent adventures in draining and refilling said pool). Definitely a chilly start to May. Kids are getting antsy wanting to go swim.
Here is the final test then -- did you also find 2 loose dogs and return them to their owners. :ninja:
I refuse to answer that. If you've ever read "Shatterday" by Harlan Ellison, you'll know why I'm not crazy about the idea of engaging my doppelganger. Sure, it starts off cordial enough, but then....*shudder*
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Mon May 06, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Last week I 'fixed' our insinkerator that was jammed with a ton of hard squash shell (no, it wasn't me that put it down there :)). Today I fired up our sprinkler system for the spring.

This expends my home maintenance/improvement mana points for the next three months.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote:Last week I 'fixed' our insinkerator that was jammed with a ton of hard squash shell (no, it wasn't me that put it down there :)). Today I fired up our sprinkler system for the spring.

This expends my home maintenance/improvement mana points for the next three months.
I assume you put "fixed" in quotes, because let me guess, it either required simply pushing the reset button on the unit, or taking an allen wrench and twisting it back and forth a few times from the bottom of the unit?

No points for you, sir! :D
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I assume you put "fixed" in quotes, because let me guess, it either required simply pushing the reset button on the unit, or taking an allen wrench and twisting it back and forth a few times from the bottom of the unit?

No points for you, sir! :D
Right idea but it was a bit more than that. Basically allen wrenching, hitting the button, filling sink with 1-2" of water, running it for a few seconds, digging out any goop that came up, reaching in and grabbing anything else I could get, and then repeating all steps about 20 times. PITA, but no skill required.

One point?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Also, I lost no fingers--that has to be one point, no?
stessier

Post by stessier »

I installed a toilet paper holder in one bathroom. This completes all items in that bathroom and is the first room in our house officially "complete". This required sourcing bolts, nuts, and washers of the appropriate size as well as a backing material to bolt into so that an impatient child didn't accidentally rip the fixture out of the cabinet. Time to plan and acquire parts - 3 weeks (including3 separate trips to Home Depot). Time to install fixtures (including clean-up) - 10 minutes. I attribute this to excellent planning. My wife has another description...
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RMC

Post by RMC »

I am still in the process of remodeling my bathroom. I ripped out everything, including the plaster walls.

I bought the house from my mother, and this is the house I have lived in since 1978(With time out for the service, college, and prior to my fathers death an apartment with my wife for less than a year). So I have actually remodeled this bathroom several times in the past, this makes remodel number 3. This remodel is the biggest, the other 2 were mostly replacing existing fixtures and flooring this is a total redo.

I am going from a one sink, tub/shower to a two sink, shower only bath. I have 3 girls, and this will be their bathroom, as well as the guest bathroom as well.

We have three bathrooms, one is the master bath, one is in my mother's apartment(She has a kitchen and two bedrooms in her unit, as well as a full bath.).

So anyway, I am doing all the work myself, and have one sink and the toilet back in, as well as the shower stall in place. I now have to plumb the other sink and the shower.

Did I mention that I moved everything(Shower, Toilet, and sink), so had to cap a bunch of stuff and replumb the toilet and first sink. <sigh> Then I just gutted the plumbing that was there, and redid everything. So I only have to plumb up to the fixtures now, I have all the supplies to a valve under the floor to the bathroom fixtures.

I had to make several trips to Lowes and Home Depot, and I live in the middle of nowhere, so it takes an hour+ for a round trip to the Depot or Lowes to get stuff.

I also managed to use leveling compound to level the floor, but covered up where the forced air vent was going to move to. So I switched the bathroom to base board heating. :)

I still have drywall to put up, but have to finish the plumbing, and my wife wanted a wall in a new spot, and it makes sense. So this weekend is all about a little more rough in work, and then finishing the plumbing for the sink and shower stall.

I wish I could just call in a plumber to do all this, but I am too cheap. I already finished most of the electrical, but still have to put in light bars over the sinks, and some outlets for my daughters to plug in teenage girly bathroom crap.

Then I have to put in the flooring. I already leveled the floor, and put luan down so the floor is prepped for whatever we decide to put down.

I love home ownership, but wish I had unlimited wealth to have someone else do all this work while I played computer games. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, if there's anything you're going to be anal about...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

stessier wrote:I installed a toilet paper holder in one bathroom. This completes all items in that bathroom and is the first room in our house officially "complete". This required sourcing bolts, nuts, and washers of the appropriate size as well as a backing material to bolt into so that an impatient child didn't accidentally rip the fixture out of the cabinet. Time to plan and acquire parts - 3 weeks (including3 separate trips to Home Depot). Time to install fixtures (including clean-up) - 10 minutes. I attribute this to excellent planning. My wife has another description...
That seems about right. As a Dad of three, toilet paper dispenser repair is easily in my list of "top 5 things I have to repair on an ongoing basis (thanks, kids!)".

I wish I could catch one of them in action doing whatever it is they do to the things to beat them down so much. Would not be shocked if kicking, or some kind of kid karate was involved.

Post by Default »

Looking at a house tomorrow. 65K in a neighborhood that normally is 250K. Part of that is the lack of a gas line into the house, resulting in oilheat and hot water and an electric range.

It needs some fixing up. :wink:

<edit>
I also have a sneaking suspicion that the oiltank is underground, which means an EPA-type cleanup. PA offers a grant for partial reimbursement of cleanup costs.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

@toilet paper holders
I have never given much thought to the fact that the one is my house is a recession in the wall, in no need of replacement or repair, ever. They built things differently in the 40s.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

silverjon wrote:@toilet paper holders
I have never given much thought to the fact that the one is my house is a recession in the wall, in no need of replacement or repair, ever. They built things differently in the 40s.
Ooh, nice! It might even be worth it to cut some sheet rock for that idea. Hmmmm....
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Yeah, our walls are lath and plaster, so it probably wasn't difficult at construction to just shape out a half-cylinder with two depressions for the spring-rod. Not sure how you'd approach doing something similar with modern walls, but it might be interesting to try.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Square hole, round holder.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Cut sheetrock rectangle, or whatever form the mold comes in, and insert mold. Attach to wall using...?? Hell you could probably use something like Gorilla glue, dunno. Maybe some kind of mounting clips.

In theory, a very simple project. Based on my recent history though, I will run into a project-stopping dilemma that will result in much online research, several trips to Lowe's, and several hours. Not to mention chronic rolly eyes from the wife.
stessier

Post by stessier »

silverjon wrote:Yeah, our walls are lath and plaster, so it probably wasn't difficult at construction to just shape out a half-cylinder with two depressions for the spring-rod. Not sure how you'd approach doing something similar with modern walls, but it might be interesting to try.
Egads - a spring rod! I hate the spring rods. The lever up type are far superior in my experience and are the only ones I will install in my home. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

It's a well-behaved spring-rod. Even when we did have a paper-unrolling cat, it didn't yank out or anything.
wot?

RMC

Post by RMC »

stessier wrote:
silverjon wrote:Yeah, our walls are lath and plaster, so it probably wasn't difficult at construction to just shape out a half-cylinder with two depressions for the spring-rod. Not sure how you'd approach doing something similar with modern walls, but it might be interesting to try.
Egads - a spring rod! I hate the spring rods. The lever up type are far superior in my experience and are the only ones I will install in my home. :)
What is this lever up type you speak of? I was not aware there were options in this regard to toilet paper holders...
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
stessier

Post by stessier »

RMC wrote:
stessier wrote:
What is this lever up type you speak of? I was not aware there were options in this regard to toilet paper holders...
Nor I until I got to my last house and one was already installed. Now I ask for them by name! (Although I'm not even sure what their name is.)

Anyway, here are some links -

Link 1 - the piece on the left tilts up to slide the new roll on
Link 2
Link 3

This is one of the ones I installed. I like the "swooped" appearance - gave it a Star Trek-y feel.

I find this type to be the devil. :)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Once again proving that knights make anything instantly cooler. ANYthing.

Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Very cool. And they are easy to install? These look like they might be used for my bathroom remodel. Thanks for the information!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm getting 404 on that pic.
stessier

Post by stessier »

RMC wrote:Very cool. And they are easy to install? These look like they might be used for my bathroom remodel. Thanks for the information!
Very easy if going into a wall. Each side comes with a bracket that requires two screws. It comes with wall anchors that require a 5/16" hole. Insert anchors, insert screws and the brackets are set. Then each side is placed over the bracket and held in place with a set screw. Also, the one's I've installed come with a template you tape on the wall and drill through so all the spacing is correct. All you really have to do is make sure you tape it up level and drill straight.

The one I installed into the cabinet required me getting my own bolts and nuts, but otherwise installed the same.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Once again proving that knights make anything instantly cooler. ANYthing.

let me try again:

And apparently any kind of knight:

Last one:

silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Seems like a job more appropriate for a squire.
wot?

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

silverjon wrote:Seems like a job more appropriate for a squire.
Or Robin.

Post by Default »

Should have been demolished. :ninja:
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

J brought home this old pipefitters' trick from a course at work.

Hold your hands in front of you with your pinky tips touching and parallel to the ground, keeping them fairly relaxed and positioned so your ring fingers are also touching.

Your fingers should be forming angles of roughly 30, 45, and 60 degrees, and your thumbs are 90.
wot?

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

silverjon wrote:J brought home this old pipefitters' trick from a course at work.

Hold your hands in front of you with your pinky tips touching and parallel to the ground, keeping them fairly relaxed and positioned so your ring fingers are also touching.

Your fingers should be forming angles of roughly 30, 45, and 60 degrees, and your thumbs are 90.
LOVE little "hacks" like that...thanks
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

seems more like my thumbs top out at about 45 maybe 60.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote:seems more like my thumbs top out at about 45 maybe 60.
Freak.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anyone have a good reference site or forum for lawn irrigation systems?

I found a dedicated (and I mean DEDICATED) forum for any and all pool concerns, and I even found one for lighting, but my Google-fu fails me when trying to find the definitive online resource for irrigation, which I am sure is out there.

The website for my system's manufacturer is not very helpful, and so I am flying blind here. And I'm determined this is a project I will repair/maintain myself, as opposed to calling someone.

Looking for a "troublefreepools.com" -like forum that transformed me from a dependent, sniveling know-nothing newbie into a black belted, "NEVER use a pool store", swimming pool sensei in about a month. :D
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
MindToyGames

Post by MindToyGames »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Last one:
I actually really like this. God, i'm a geek.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Heck, I do too. Would never put it in my house, but for say, Lord British's ...would be awesome!

http://www.wired.com/business/2013/03/l ... -included/" target="_blank
WPD

Post by WPD »

I fixed the kitchen sink! :horse:

We've had a problem for a couple of weeks with the hot water not having as much pressure as the cold water only at the kitchen sink and I finally had the time/motivation to investigate today. After gathering my assortment of manly tools, I got under the sink to stop the water and noticed that the hot water thingy was partially turned to the side unlike the cold water thingy. After adjusting the hot water thingy I tested it out and the sink is fixed.

I AM A GOLDEN KITCHEN SINK FIXING GOD. :ninja:
Later ya'll.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Looking for a "troublefreepools.com" -like forum that transformed me into a dependent, sniveling know-nothing newbie into a black belted, "NEVER use a pool store", swimming pool sensei in about a month. :D
This is one of the best pool resources...ever. Talk about a wealth of knowledge. I went from green mess -> perfect pool in time for Memorial day. Amazing. Now if only it would warm up into a constantly usable range...I actually just bought a solar cover because evaporation has been *INSANE*. I leave for work and it is the same level as sundown the night before. Perfect. I come back today after work and it is down almost an inch which translates into 450 - 500 gallons. Holy effing hell. I need to trim that sucker down stat.

Oh and congrats on the sink. My favorite accomplishment so far in my new house was ripping out the old pedestal sink in our master bathroom (former owners -- morons :roll: ) and put in a new cabinet, sink and medicine cabinet and made the once again *MASTER BATHROOM* usable. You know...with a place to put your toothbrush or something and a mirror... :lol:
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Image
That's the one I would do if we ever replace the bidet with one that didn't have a built in holder.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Malchior: Sure that's evaporation and not a leak?
malchior

Post by malchior »

100% sure. In fact, I started logging because I thought I had unreasonable evap and thought it was a leak so I did bucket tests. After a couple of days I noticed it sometimes did not drop at all. I went back and correlated it with relative humidity and temperature.

Basically, the water is 68 degrees. It was 95 today with humidity around 30%. Evaporation hell. Last night in a longer time period it didn't drop at all - but RH was around 95%. I was at the pool store picking up 5 gallon jugs of Cl and I remarked about it and the pool kid at the counter said evaporation is going to kill you until mid-June unless you get a solar cover. Mine just isn't trimmed up so it isn't helping yet.