Fundraising for 2019/2020: 12 Months Renewed - We are good until October 2020. Paypal Donation Link Here

Home Projects (upkeep/repair/mods/cool sh*t/advice/question)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymon

Re: Home Projects (upkeep/repair/mods/cool sh*t/advice/question)

Post by Jaymon » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:45 pm

I need to put up a shelf. Specifically, I want to hang a long board from the ceiling, so cats can walk on it.

but I am having trouble locating the hardware. I need something that can attach to the ceiling, and be able to support weight. Not cables, because I don't want any sway. I imagine in my head some sort of U . possibly made out of pipe or some other brackets.

A couple of anchors that attach securely to the ceiling (drilling through up to the cross beams). Then vertical supports hanging from the anchors, and a horizontal cross piece, at the bottom of the vertical posts. A series of these across the room, each hanging from a separate ceiling cross beam, with a long wooden board running across the horizontal pieces.

the trouble is, I can't think of the proper technical terms for any of those bits, which means I can't find them on the internet shopping.

can ya'll think of the proper names for the pieces I need?
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:50 pm

My parents once rented out the basement apartment to a guy who used threaded steel rods to hang a shelf from the ceiling that then supported his stereo equipment. Worked well for maybe a year or so...then failed spectacularly. Chances are though your cat will do a better job landing on its feet should the same occur.

stessier

Post by stessier » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:07 pm

Jaymon wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:45 pm
I need to put up a shelf. Specifically, I want to hang a long board from the ceiling, so cats can walk on it.

but I am having trouble locating the hardware. I need something that can attach to the ceiling, and be able to support weight. Not cables, because I don't want any sway. I imagine in my head some sort of U . possibly made out of pipe or some other brackets.

A couple of anchors that attach securely to the ceiling (drilling through up to the cross beams). Then vertical supports hanging from the anchors, and a horizontal cross piece, at the bottom of the vertical posts. A series of these across the room, each hanging from a separate ceiling cross beam, with a long wooden board running across the horizontal pieces.

the trouble is, I can't think of the proper technical terms for any of those bits, which means I can't find them on the internet shopping.

can ya'll think of the proper names for the pieces I need?
Something like this?

Enlarge Image
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:12 pm

yes, like that, but I am searching for a way to buy those pipe things individually, so I can construct my own version.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:17 pm

Head to Home Depot to the galvanized pipe section. Get plans for a pipe desk, then flip it and mount it to the ceiling. Use the "floor" flanges to mount to joists.

stessier

Post by stessier » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:36 pm

Here is such a desk. If you go to the Fittings drop down on this page, you'll probably get way more than you ever wanted to know.

Enlarge Image
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:02 pm

Use Klee Klamps if you want a pipe desk or bear much weight.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867

em2nought

Post by em2nought » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:42 am

Jaymon wrote:
be able to support weight. Not cables, because I don't want any sway. I imagine in my head some sort of U .
I think you could do it cheap with some Simpson Strong Tie material. You could just put a few bends in these to make something plenty sturdy enough for cats. https://www.lowes.com/pd/USP-36-in-20-G ... ap/3691968 Make four bends to form a "U" shape with feet.

If I had a cat I'd want to go the full monty after looking at this book https://www.amazon.com/Cats-House-Bob-W ... oks&sr=1-1 The guy practically turns his house into Disney Land for cats. :mrgreen:
Waiting for the tide to bring me a sail.

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:35 am

Jaymon wrote:
These usually go in the garage, but you can mount them anywhere with a beam, I guess.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Storage-Org ... 5yc1vZccyy
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have! | Playing: ADR1FT, Frontier Pilot Simulator

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:12 am

oh thats another good one. I saw those, but they didn't click with me at first, but now I see that some of them are adjustable.

thanks everybody

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:26 pm

Based on that , I stopped searching for shelving suppliers, and instead searched for pipe.

GeilSpace (and others) make precut threaded pipes and connectors. I got a stack of 18" x 1/2" pipe (prepainted), elbow connectors, and flanges.
So that turned out to be simple, once I stopped thinking about shelving.

I have got a detailed plan drawn up, next step is to pick up some boards, and then start drilling holes in the ceiling!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:36 pm

Jaymon wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:26 pm
start drilling holes in the ceiling!
Make sure you've checked what's on the other side.

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:12 pm

Bought the wrong kind of LED replacement tubes for my flourescent lights. Turns out there are a couple different kinds. Single end vs. dual end power, ballast-bypass-required (aka direct wire) vs. ballast compatible vs. hybrid/universal, and that's not even counting the actual size of the tubes (T8/T10/T12) and length and color temp and lumens output. I apparently bought the direct wire kind when I should have bought the ballast-compatible kind (that I bought in Lowe's before). Accidentally destroyed one of the four tubes (melted the plug on one side). Had to order another set, this time the right one.
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have! | Playing: ADR1FT, Frontier Pilot Simulator

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:56 am

And it's surprising how cheap these LED tubes are nowadays. AmazonBasics brand of 12 tubes is only like $27. I know I paid like $9 each at Lowes for Phillips brand of roughly the same LED replacement tubes.

EDIT: Must have been on sale or something, price went up to like $36 for 12, which is still MUCH MUCH cheaper than retail prices.