Brandon Sanderson's The Stormlight Archive

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Brandon Sanderson's The Stormlight Archive

Post by Isgrimnur »

If it ends up as his magnum opus epic, it needs its own thread.

The title for Book 2 has been revealed:
Tor Books is excited to announce the title to the highly anticipated sequel to Brandon Sanderson’s The Way of Kings. The forthcoming second book in the multi-volume Stormlight Archive series will be called:

Words of Radiance
The Way of Kings was Kaladin’s book. He will have a lot to do in Book Two, of course, and you can expect some great sequences within his viewpoint. However, the flashback sequences in Book Two belong to Shallan. In my notes for the series, I had planned for Shallan’s book to be named after the tome she is given at the end of the first novel: The Book of Endless Pages. On Roshar, that is a book of knowledge that can never be completed—because people should always be learning, studying, and adding what they’ve learned to it.

I don’t always think out book titles with marketing in mind, and a title isn’t set until the book is finished. In this case, once I mentioned the prospective title to my editor, he grinned and said, “Uh, are you sure you want to name a very long, very thick fantasy book The Book of Endless Pages?”
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
MHS

Re: Brandon Sanderson's Way of Kings

Post by MHS »

I told myself I wasn't going to start any more epic series until they were all completed. Don't we all tell ourselves that in this GRR Martin era? But of course, I didn't listen to myself and I'm really excited for the second book. It's just sad when a title announcement is something to report on, not even a release date. We will never learn. :)
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I found Way of Kings to be an excellent novel. It starts out a bit scattered as there are several "main" characters and story lines that are spread all over but he pulls things all together nicely and Im very much looking forward to the next book in the series.

As far as comparing Sanderson to GRRM in productivity, I think Sanderson is going to be a lot more focused on this series, especially now that his work on The Wheel of Time is done. Im definitely hoping we dont get GRRMed on this series.

One thing I noticed in the quoted part of the article was this: "I don’t always think out book titles with marketing in mind, and a title isn’t set until the book is finished."
Hopefully this means a release is on the horizon.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

His site has Stormlight 2 First Draft 40%, Stormlight 2 Prewriting 87%. It might be a while yet.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Speedwise Sanderson is way more Stephen King than GRRM. Regardless I need more books done before I dive in.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

What's "prewriting"? Is that like finger stretching exercises or maybe some yoga?
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Covenant72 wrote:What's "prewriting"? Is that like finger stretching exercises or maybe some yoga?
Brandon Sanderson wrote:When I am actually ready to sit down and write a book, I spend a couple of weeks or so pre-writing. Some of this time is spent outlining the plot. Some is spent fleshing out the ideas for the magic system, and some thinking about character arcs.
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/2007/09/inte ... sanderson/" target="_blank
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Hmm, lets see...10 book series, one book down, one coming out perhaps this year...8 left, lets say 2 yrs per book more or less...umm, I'll live vicariously through other peoples impressions and snag the series in my fifties. :lol:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Odin

Post by Odin »

$iljanus wrote:Hmm, lets see...10 book series, one book down, one coming out perhaps this year...8 left, lets say 2 yrs per book more or less...umm, I'll live vicariously through other peoples impressions and snag the series in my fifties. :lol:
Yeah, that's kind of my take. I've decided I just don't like waiting for the next book in a series to come out. I think after my experiences with GRRM and Robert Jordan, to name two especially notable (and egregious) examples, I'm not going to do it anymore.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Generally, I do exactly what everyone here is recommending and stay out until the series is finished, but I like Sanderson so I ended up picking this one up.

It's FANTASTIC. Not much more to say, really. It's really, really good. The only problem is that you reach the end and immediately want to start the next one....and that doesn't exist yet. :(
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I sometimes worry that 5 series is 1 series to much for Brandon. None the less, I will be getting this when it comes out.

I like Sanderson because I think deep down he says "ok, I want to write about about extra-awesome fucking ninjas, but it's magic and they don't look or smell like Ninjas" (Mistborne) and "I want to write a book about dudes who strap on power armor and beat up creepy crawlies and maybe an eldritch abomination or two, but it has to be fantasy themed" (Way of Kings).
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Peacedog wrote:I like Sanderson because I think deep down he says "ok, I want to write about about extra-awesome fucking ninjas, but it's magic and they don't look or smell like Ninjas" (Mistborne) and "I want to write a book about dudes who strap on power armor and beat up creepy crawlies and maybe an eldritch abomination or two, but it has to be fantasy themed" (Way of Kings).
Actually, that's another very good answer to the question of, "What is prewriting?"
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

For $2.99, I can throw it into the e-book backlog.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

$iljanus wrote:Hmm, lets see...10 book series, one book down, one coming out perhaps this year...8 left, lets say 2 yrs per book more or less...umm, I'll live vicariously through other peoples impressions and snag the series in my fifties. :lol:

Ditto. A Song of Fire and Ice has pretty much taught me not to get too excited about any series that isn't down tot he last book, and I only started on it last year. I can only imagine the people who got in early on that can't even remember what the first books were about.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Re: Brandon Sanderson's The Stormlight Archive

Post by Isgrimnur »

3: Oathbringer cover revealed
Oathbringer, Book 3 of the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson is currently scheduled for release on November 14, 2017.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just in time for my annual "use em or lose em" vacation!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

He is only on book 3? He's shooting for what, 10? Bump the thread up when the final book is printed and then I'll read them. (I love Sanderson, but I don't have the patience to start/stop/start a big series at this point.)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ironically, he's super fast. Just likes to work on a bunch of projects at once.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yeah, he writes at an insane pace. But I'm with Kelric - I really enjoy his writing but I'll really enjoy reading the whole series as one piece...in a decade when he finishes it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote:Ironically, he's super fast. Just likes to work on a bunch of projects at once.
Yeah, writing ADD or something. Amazon tells me whenever he has something new... and it's never what I want!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote:3: Oathbringer cover revealed
Oathbringer, Book 3 of the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson is currently scheduled for release on November 14, 2017.
Ugh, I was hoping it would come out during exercise season so I might have a chance in finishing it in one checkout from the library. The first 2 audiobooks were 48-49 hours in length, and required 2 checkouts each when I read them in December/January.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

coopasonic wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:Ironically, he's super fast. Just likes to work on a bunch of projects at once.
Yeah, writing ADD or something. Amazon tells me whenever he has something new... and it's never what I want!
How do you get Amazon to do this?
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lorini wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
Go to the author page and under the picture on the left click the yellow follow button.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Brandon also keeps progress bars on his website.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

See all that does it annoy me that he works on so much at once.

Also if you have younger kids, my 5th grader likes the Alcatraz books.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

coopasonic wrote:
Lorini wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
Go to the author page and under the picture on the left click the yellow follow button.
Thanks!
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I'm looking forward to book 3. Took me awhile to get the hang of the world he's crafted, but I found the story enjoyable after awhile. Of course, I'll need some sort of refresher because I don't remember much of what's taken place thus far.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Baroquen wrote:Of course, I'll need some sort of refresher because I don't remember much of what's taken place thus far.
Here, I'll help you:
The plant life hides when you walk by.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Book 1 FREE! March 23. For 48 hours only.
Tor.com is offering a free download of the ebook edition of The Way of Kings, the first volume of Brandon Sanderson’s Stormlight Archive, on March 23rd and 24th, 2017!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The 4th book came out two weeks ago and nobody told me.

I found it randomly while browsing amazon for books for my son for christmas. Amazon emailed me about the release of Dawnshard, which is a novella set between books 3 and 4 but never bothered to tell me about book 4!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I didn't realize the book had come out either until two days ago when I randomly searched for it. Put in a request to get the Kindle version from my local library. Currently 16th in the queue and expected to get it in ~2 months. I have plenty to read in the meantime, so I don't mind waiting.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I've had it on my wishlist since it was available for pre-order, but at $16, I'm reading other books for now. I did want something new last week, but ended up going with Harrow the Ninth (at $14, and of course, it was on sale yesterday for $3 or so :grund: He chose... poorly. ).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:28 pm I've had it on my wishlist since it was available for pre-order, but at $16, I'm reading other books for now.
It's not bad in terms of pages/$...

Print length : 1212 pages
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Still haven't gotten to book 3. The first 2 I got on audiobook from the library, the third never appeared. I bought the ebook some time ago, but I have too many Librarything ebooks I'm obliged to read. I thought I bought the Audible narration at one point, but it doesn't show up.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Reading it, but it's a little slow so far.

I came across this video about the world of Roshar. The problem in reading on Kindle is not paying attention to the illustrations, and this was helpful.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I put it on my christmas list since there is little chance I could get to it before christmas anyway and my in-laws are annoyed that I don't want stuff. I have all the stuff dammit!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Book 1 was good and setup a promising fantasy storyline. Book 2 was very good with fleshed out characters that I cared about. Book 3 I couldn't get into. The first 400 pages are a boring slug. Very disappointed on the direction. Too much super powers and mundane conversations.

I hope book 4 is much better and on the level of book 2. I'm in no rush in finding out, because book 3 almost killed my interest.

I really want this series to succeed and be awesome because there just isn't much else out there right now (that I'm aware of) in terms of grand scale in-progress book series.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I knew this was coming out, but it's on my list as a potential Xmas gift so I'm not buying it yet.

I've enjoyed all three books in the series so far. The toughest part for me was getting into the world and it's mythos overall. And before reading the new one, I know I'll have to go back and find a recap/summary online as I'm sure I've forgotten a lot of the details.

But I'm looking forward to eventually diving in.