Help - receiver died- advice (Not NFL related)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Help - receiver died- advice (Not NFL related)

Post by hepcat »

I have an older Yamaha receiver that I love. I bought it about 3 years ago because I needed the Dolby Digital Plus for Netflix. Unfortunately, it's not HDCP 2.2 on the 4K pass through. I bought a 4K tv not that long ago and have discovered that 4K content won't actually work through the 4K pass through since it's not HDCP 2.2. Which sucks.

I tried a converter that takes 2.0 and passes it off as 2.2, but that didn't work, unfortunately. At some point I need to upgrade...but I'm afraid that the moment I do, they'll introduce 2.4 or something and I'll be back in the same damn boat.
He won. Period.
DD*

Post by DD* »

When I upgraded my TV earlier this year (went from a 46" Toshiba to a 75" Samsung), I skipped the 4K as I didn't see the benefit vs cost, at least at this point. Not enough source material, IMHO, to justify the expense - even BD is only 1080. We watch mostly sports on "live" TV, and BD movies. I'm not sure my old eyes could tell the difference anyway :)
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The 4K wasn't my primary reason for the purchase. It was time for a new tv, and I was graduating up from a 42 inch DLP 720p. I was initially going to just go for 1080p...but then I saw HDR in action and decided to pay a bit more to jump on board.
He won. Period.
DD*

Post by DD* »

hepcat wrote:The 4K wasn't my primary reason for the purchase. It was time for a new tv, and I was graduating up from a 42 inch DLP 720p. I was initially going to just go for 1080p...but then I saw HDR in action and decided to pay a bit more to jump on board.
I went through the same evolution but they were blowing the 1080 TVs out to make room for the 4Ks, so I got much larger (and better) TV for the same amount of $$ by skipping the 4K. And now I have a legitimate excuse to upgrade down the line... :ninja:
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote:I have had absolutely no complaints. Of course, I'm still running a 2.0 system. I have a center channel speaker on my holiday wishlist. I got it because of the 4k passthrough, and a lack of HDMI capability on my old one. It turns itself on and off when I hit the tv remote, no setup required there.
I decided to go with the RX-V481.

I'd never really be able to get the full deal out of Atmos because I wouldn't have the speakers for it, and I saved some money in the process. Seems like the reviews are favorable to it, even with the 5.1 "limitation", so I do appreciate being steered down the road to Yamaha in this instance.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm glad it was a good direction.

My house has speaker wires running to ceiling plates, so I can eventually move to 7.1 with a little work and a lot of research and money.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote:I'm glad it was a good direction.

My house has speaker wires running to ceiling plates, so I can eventually move to 7.1 with a little work and a lot of research and money.
Got the receiver set up over the weekend.

Had some issues with it passing ALL the 4K+HDR signals - I had to go into some advanced settings and switch it to do full 4K+HDR (4:4:4), since it, unfortunately, defaults to 4:2:0 (which means no HDR support). But once that was done, everything passes through brilliantly. Watching Star Trek Beyond in 4K over the weekend was truly eye opening.
Hodor.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

DD* wrote:And now I have a legitimate excuse to upgrade down the line... :ninja:
Sorry to say, but you already have one...OLED. It's here, prices dropping off the cliff, and it will absolutely displace LCD, it's so much better. It was no coincidence that LCD prices roughly halved about the same time as the OLED price drops.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
DD* wrote:And now I have a legitimate excuse to upgrade down the line... :ninja:
Sorry to say, but you already have one...OLED. It's here, prices dropping off the cliff, and it will absolutely displace LCD, it's so much better. It was no coincidence that LCD prices roughly halved about the same time as the OLED price drops.
Sure, OLED is the superior tech, but it still has issues (input lag is bad if you want to game on it, for starters), and there's not enough of a difference between the B6P and Samsung's UNKS8000 to justify a $800-$1000 price difference.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

OLEDs also can't currently get as bright as LEDs - like half the nits. Not a problem for everyone, but LCD still will have a place.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

My biggest issue is that I dropped ~$500 on a new receiver in 2009, and I'm planning on jumping to 4k in the next year. However, my older receiver doesn't support HDMI2.2 with the updated HDCP, which means that upgrading my TV means I need a new receiver too.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

I won't buy another HDMI receiver unless it has a separate way of upgrading for the next HDMI/HDCP updates. A $500 copy-protection fee seems more like extortion to me.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stessier

Post by stessier »

You can always connect directly to the TV and just output the sound to the receiver (or so I've been told). :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote:You can always connect directly to the TV and just output the sound to the receiver (or so I've been told). :)
With today's TVs this is accurate but he would need to output with an optical cable as I doubt his current receiver has ARC capability through HDMI
Hodor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote:You can always connect directly to the TV and just output the sound to the receiver (or so I've been told). :)
Then I need to run multiple cables through my wall to the TV (hung over the fireplace with care) and back to the AV cabinet, also need a TV with enough inputs (it's an hdmi switching receiver).

Not good.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Ended up selling the Onkyo to a local guy on CL.

stessier

Post by stessier »

Okay, so the RX-V577 has been great, but it doesn't pass through 4k. Anyone have a suggestion for a receiver that does and wont break the bank?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote:Okay, so the RX-V577 has been great, but it doesn't pass through 4k. Anyone have a suggestion for a receiver that does and wont break the bank?
Amazon had a $299 Yamaha this week on the daily deals. Keep an eye on tech bargains

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Thinking I may do this for a awhile as the tv I'm thinking of has digital optical out and most 4k inputs will be through the planned xbox one x.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Monoprice has the Yamaha RX-V583BL on sale for $350, down from $500.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I can't remember what model Yamaha I have but I'm very happy with it.
Hodor.