Help - receiver died- advice (Not NFL related)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Help - receiver died- advice (Not NFL related)

Post by stessier »

So I woke up this morning and my receiver was dead. It won't power up and I have no idea why. I tried a different outlet I knew to be working and looked for a fuse on the unit to reset (without any luck) and that pretty much exhausted my troubleshooting. If anyone has any other ideas to try, please share.

But I think I need a new receiver. This one was inherited and I believe has had a decent long life (~10 years). Right now the receiver is used to connect a DVD player, Roku, and Tivo to a Sony Trinitron (circa 2000). It's all done with RCA cabling. My speakers are just a left/center/right setup. In my future, I'd like to add a sub, but don't plan on adding rears/sides. Any suggestions? I'd like something for under $500 if possible.

I'm also thinking of taking the opportunity to upgrade the TV to something in the 55" LED family. Would anyone have any suggestions there? Is going to Best Buy still the best option for actually seeing how things look?
Last edited by stessier on Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Re: Help - receiver died - need receiver and TV advice

Post by coopasonic »

Onkyo TX-SR313 and some HDMI cables. $200 and does what you need.

For another hundred the TX-NR515 adds 50% more output power, dolby prologic and internet stuff that is redundant with your roku, also moves you from 5.1 to 7.2, which you don't need. Why not, right? :D

If any of your components (TV) don't support HDMI replace them. I don't have any TV input, I have no LED TVs (front projector (yay), plasma (free) and DLP(cheap)).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I know NOTHING about home theater, but the Amazon Gold Box deal of the day is for an Onkyo home theater setup. HT-S6500 for $430.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
stessier

Post by stessier »

I think the Onkyo TX-SR313 will do the trick. This will be the short term replacement that eventually ends up in the kids room (that receiver was bought in 1995 and can't possibly last much longer).

The Tivo and Roku support HDMI. The DVD player doesn't, but we don't really use it anyway.

The home theater setup looks interesting but unnecessary at this point.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jag

Post by Jag »

I'm a big fan of Onkyo receivers, although audio heads will tell you they did have some QC issues in the last few models, which I think are mostly fixed either through updates or subsequent revisions. Those issues definitely drove the prices down though, so you can get a very competitive receiver for less than comparable models from Pioneer, Denon, etc (which are also very good brands). I'm on my third Onkyo receiver, the 809 which I got around xmas and I love it.

As far as that HTB on Amazon today, my very first HT was an Onkyo HTB and it was great as a starter, but the speakers kind of suck and speakers are the most important part of a HT setup. I wouldn't skimp on that. Get a decent receiver that meets your budget and build from there.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I actually have what I believe to be decent speakers - Klipsch R-82. The center channel is just a crummy extra small speaker I have lying around.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

For the LED TV, go for a Samsung that fits your budget/feature requirements.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The Onkyo is good / Yamaha and Denon in that price range are all good choices as well. Especially in the last two model years you will get tremendous bang for your buck in features/future-proofing at that price point. I had been in the habit of upgrading every 3-4 years and finally think I'm good for awhile now since buying a model last year. I can't see any reason to upgrade since many models are 4K (pass-thru) ready now.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

The Onkyo is a nice little amp for the price. As far as sound, your speakers deliver the sound so if you have $5 speakers, even hooked up to a $2000 amp, youre going to get $5 sound. Klipsch speaker are nice but I would find a decent replacement for your center. It likely doesnt matter much for music but for video surround, if you have a weak center, peoples voices will sound weak. I recently upgraded my center speaker and it made a huge difference.

There a million TV threads with all the info you need here if you search but the quick summary is there are small differences in picture quality between LED, LCD and Plasma. All three provide excellent picture. Plasma delivers the best bang for the buck and Panasonic makes the best reviewed Plasmas. If you want LED or LCD Samsung and LG seem to be pretty well received.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote:I actually have what I believe to be decent speakers - Klipsch R-82. The center channel is just a crummy extra small speaker I have lying around.
Yeah, to amplify what rshetts2 said, the center channel is the most important one for TV/movie viewing. Spend some of the $300 I just saved you on the receiver on a decent center channel speaker. I have the 4C from that page in my media room (along with 7 other aperion speakers) and it is very nice. :twisted:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

rshetts2 wrote:Plasma delivers the best bang for the buck and Panasonic makes the best reviewed Plasmas. If you want LED or LCD Samsung and LG seem to be pretty well received.
I recently picked up the highest end Panny Plasma, the 65VT50 and the picture is just incredible. Much deeper and more realistic than LCD.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I got the receiver today and it was very, very simple to setup. The speakers sound good, which is all I can ask at this point. The manual comes on a CD and I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

After reviewing the budget yesterday, the TV is going to have to wait until we sell the second house, unfortunately.

Edit: So the old receiver was something I inherited and didn't have a manual for. I never really knew what all the options did or how it was setup - I just went with what my father-in-law had used.

So all I did was plug this new receiver in and it already sounds better. I'm sitting about 12-15' from the TV and it sounds like I'm sitting right next to the speaker. I don't have it turned up loud - it just seems to make the speakers clearer and easier to hear. It's really freaky - in a good way. We used to have to crank it to hear well this far away. I can't wait to dig into the features and see what else is going on.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

stessier wrote:I'm sitting about 12-15' from the TV and it sounds like I'm sitting right next to the speaker. I don't have it turned up loud - it just seems to make the speakers clearer and easier to hear. It's really freaky - in a good way. We used to have to crank it to hear well this far away.
That's what power (RMS) gets you - i.e. the ability to hear the full audio range without having to crank it up. Great for night time listening as well, if you have others in the house that are sleeping.
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote:I think the Onkyo TX-SR313 will do the trick. This will be the short term replacement that eventually ends up in the kids room (that receiver was bought in 1995 and can't possibly last much longer).

The Tivo and Roku support HDMI. The DVD player doesn't, but we don't really use it anyway.

The home theater setup looks interesting but unnecessary at this point.
Ack! For the last 2.5 years, the receiver was perfect. Then, 10 days ago, the sound just stopped. Apparently Onkyo has this as a known issue. For the last 10 days, I could get the sound back by doing a factory reset. Over the last three days, though, I was having to do this multiple times an hour. Today, the reset trick isn't working.

Sooooo - any suggestions for something similar but not Onkyo? It needs to have video out by rca type cable as I still don't have an HDMI tv (at this point I should just hold out for some type of google glass tv solution).
coopasonic

Re: Help - receiver died - need receiver advice

Post by coopasonic »

Hmmm... I have to check which of my receivers died this summer. It was the one in the media room... In fact I think it was the Onkyo. Oops, sorry bout that. :P Mine lasted 6 years anyway. I replaced it with this: Yamaha RX-V577 7.2-channel Wi-Fi Network AV Receiver with AirPlay.

As I recall, it's overkill for your needs, but they have lower tier receivers that are well regarded as well.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

coopasonic wrote:Hmmm... I have to check which of my receivers died this summer. It was the one in the media room... In fact I think it was the Onkyo. Oops, sorry bout that. :P
No problem - as long as we both suffer, I'm good with it. ;)
Mine lasted 6 years anyway. I replaced it with this: Yamaha RX-V577 7.2-channel Wi-Fi Network AV Receiver with AirPlay.

As I recall, it's overkill for your needs, but they have lower tier receivers that are well regarded as well.
Definitely overkill, but it's only $75 less for the one I need. Hmmmm. Anyone know of a lottery I can win so I can get the TV to make this truly worth it? :D
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Are receivers still necessary?

I have one in my office for the record player but in an all-digital room aren't they redundant?

Trying to figure out what I'm missing out on.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

What do you use to get the sound to your speakers? I have the Roku, Tivo, and DVD going into the Receiver and then the speakers and TV going out.

Coop - this is the second review for the Yamaha -
I purchased this a few days ago to replace an Onkyo TX-NR609 that stopped outputting sound a few months ago, after just 2 years. I can't speak to the v577's long term reliability, but the sound quality and features are terrific.
Heh.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

It's sad when "~10 years" is considered a "decently long life" for a receiver.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Every time I see this thread pop up for a split sceond I think it's a horribly insensitive fantasy football help request.

I can't shake it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
rshetts2

Re: Help - receiver died- advice (Not NFL related)

Post by rshetts2 »

Stessier have you considered a higher end sound bar? There are some pretty nice ones and although they wont compete with a full on high end receiver set up, they can sound pretty good and they are very space efficient as well.

Something like this Polk Audio Magni-Fi Soundbar with Wireless Active Subwoofer may fill your needs.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Magni- ... B00O16236I
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
stessier

Post by stessier »

I've never really looked at a soundbar but I don't think that would work. I have nice speakers - I just don't have anything to drive them. And I use the receiver as a display switch between my different components (DVD, Roku, Tivo) - it doesn't look like the soundbar can do that (although I'm having trouble determining if it has any connections in it).
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

What I'd do is enter the model number on Ebay and see what a used one is selling for.

I've bought several used pieces of audio equipment from Ebay, and have had really
great success with them all.

For the price of what you're maybe pay an audio repair shop to troubleshoot and repair it
you can buy one on Ebay.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

I have the Onkyo TX-SR313 and now I'm worried it's going to give up the ghost! I've had it about 2 years with no problems.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Captain Caveman wrote:I have the Onkyo TX-SR313 and now I'm worried it's going to give up the ghost! I've had it about 2 years with no problems.
I've been there. :D

My wife just called. She spent an hour this morning resetting the thing every 2 minutes trying to get the sound on. She finally got it and then I called to talk to her about replacement options. I think it heard - it's been fine ever since. :lol:
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Every time I see this thread pop up for a split sceond I think it's a horribly insensitive fantasy football help request.

I can't shake it.
You're not alone. :D
"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
"His elbow commands the sun! Bow before him!" -Two Sheds
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Captain Caveman wrote:I have the Onkyo TX-SR313 and now I'm worried it's going to give up the ghost! I've had it about 2 years with no problems.
Last week I purchased a TX-NR838. Loved seeing this thread pop up. (Though most online sites mentioned Onkyo's reliability when I was doing my research, so it wasn't as if I was gobsmacked.) Hooked it up this weekend and am infinitely happier than I was with the HK setup I had previously.

For the first time in recent memory, however, I actually registered my product.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote:
coopasonic wrote:Hmmm... I have to check which of my receivers died this summer. It was the one in the media room... In fact I think it was the Onkyo. Oops, sorry bout that. :P
No problem - as long as we both suffer, I'm good with it. ;)
Mine lasted 6 years anyway. I replaced it with this: Yamaha RX-V577 7.2-channel Wi-Fi Network AV Receiver with AirPlay.

Definitely overkill, but it's only $75 less for the one I need. Hmmmm. Anyone know of a lottery I can win so I can get the TV to make this truly worth it? :D
So I ended up getting this one and I love it. It's not at all dead, but I have a question - everything I have right now is hooked up via RCA cables (since I have a really old tv). If I hook up a Blu-Ray player to the receiver via HDMI, will the video still be output over the RCA cable? Or do I have to output via HDMI and then get a converter to RCA cables?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

malchior wrote:The Onkyo is good / Yamaha and Denon in that price range are all good choices as well. Especially in the last two model years you will get tremendous bang for your buck in features/future-proofing at that price point. I had been in the habit of upgrading every 3-4 years and finally think I'm good for awhile now since buying a model last year. I can't see any reason to upgrade since many models are 4K (pass-thru) ready now.
So what did you do with your old one? Cough... :lol: Or is that the one I already have? :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
stessier

Post by stessier »

Not sure this is the right thread, but I'm giving it a shot.

I'm new to HDMI. My receiver has multiple HDMI slots as does my TV. I currently have my components connected to the receiver and then one HDMI line to the TV. Is there any reason to do it the other way (components to the TV and 1 HDMI to the receiver)? Would that even work?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

stessier wrote:I'm new to HDMI. My receiver has multiple HDMI slots as does my TV. I currently have my components connected to the receiver and then one HDMI line to the TV. Is there any reason to do it the other way (components to the TV and 1 HDMI to the receiver)? Would that even work?
It depends.

My current setup is such that my AV Receiver has a couple of HDMI inputs, but not enough. So I connect all HDMI devices to the TV, and then I just connect audio back to the receiver (via optical audio cable). There is no reason to send the video to the receiver (in my setup, plus I think my receiver only supports HDMI video anyway, it's old).

No matter what input the TV is on, my receiver never changes inputs.

If I had a newer, fancy AV receiver, that was more capable than my TV, I might do something different.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mine is new, everything goes to the receiver, one connection back to the tv. Mt receiver knows when the tv turns on/off, and follows suit automatically.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
DD*

Post by DD* »

In case anyone is looking, I have a very solid AVR for sale. Special tentacle discount price of $150 + shipping.

Onkyo TR-SX707
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Montag

Post by Montag »

DD* wrote:In case anyone is looking, I have a very solid AVR for sale. Special tentbacle discount price of $150 + shipping.

Onkyo TR-SX707
Does it have calibration? I am interested.
Edit: going to back pedal. Amazon reviews were not kind.
words
DD*

Post by DD* »

Montag wrote:
DD* wrote:In case anyone is looking, I have a very solid AVR for sale. Special tentbacle discount price of $150 + shipping.

Onkyo TR-SX707
Does it have calibration? I am interested.
Edit: going to back pedal. Amazon reviews were not kind.
Not sure what you mean by 'calibration'. It has Audeyssy multiple location equalization (uses a microphone to automatically set speaker levels at various seating locations), which is pretty much an industry standard for AVRs. I believe Pioneer has a homegrown version but most other companies utilize Audeyssy.

I've never bothered looking on Amazon - the AVR has performed fantastically for me for 4-5 years before it ran into the HDMI board issue (as detailed, it is a known issue and was fixed under recall at the factory). I used it as the centerpiece for all of my HT components (Xbox 360/One, AT&T Uverse/Comcast cable, various BD players, etc. Always performed flawlessly when switching between components, upscaling DVDs, or what have you). I suppose YMMV but I can only relate my experience. When I sent it back for the recall, I kind of fell into a higher-end Denon AVR, otherwise it would be back in my equipment stack. Now it is just gathering dust in my den.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

To piggyback on this thread, I'm about to buy a new receiver to go along with my new 4K TV.

Does anyone here have a receiver they use that's capable of 4K upconversion or passthrough? If so, what's your model? Been looking at a few options and would like to buy sometime in the next day or two, but more research from the hivemind is never a bad thing.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My purchase was under the "major purchases" thread. I got the Yamaha RX-V581:
4K Ultra HD pass-through Yes (4K / 60p 4:4:4)
4K Ultra HD Pass-through and upscaling Yes (4K / 60p 4:4:4)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote:My purchase was under the "major purchases" thread. I got the Yamaha RX-V581:
4K Ultra HD pass-through Yes (4K / 60p 4:4:4)
4K Ultra HD Pass-through and upscaling Yes (4K / 60p 4:4:4)
Thanks! This is one of the ones I've been looking at. How do you like it?
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have had absolutely no complaints. Of course, I'm still running a 2.0 system. I have a center channel speaker on my holiday wishlist. I got it because of the 4k passthrough, and a lack of HDMI capability on my old one. It turns itself on and off when I hit the tv remote, no setup required there.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Just a random comment -

I am really liking my new Vizio M-series 55" tv as it is a huge upgrade from my 1999 Sony Trinitron. Being new to the HDTV universe, it is surprising to me how little content there is at the higher resolutions. There is very, very little in 4K and not every OTA channel even broadcasts in 1080 (in my area anyway). A lot of the older material on Netflix is in 720 at best and you have to be sure to check a box to allow for HD streaming while 4K is an extra cost. I don't really watch Blu-rays, so maybe that is the big draw. I find it all very fragmented and odd.