Podcast recommendations

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

tjg_marantz

Podcast recommendations

Post by tjg_marantz »

Just getting into podcasts really. Listening while working etc.... Share what you listen to.

Sports:

Marek Vs Wyshynski - NHL mostly
Extra Time Radio podcast for everything MLS and soccer
Jay and Ddan podcast from TSN. Great chemistry, and you'll learn about Canada too, what couldd be better!

Tech:

This Week in Tech - self-explanatory. I think it's from Leo Laporte's gang, could be wrong, only listened to one so far but liked it.
The Nerdist - still exploring that one, good guests but have yet to listen to a full episode.

Other:

The Joe Rogan Experience - not listened yet but I like him and hoping he delves into MMA somewhat.

So what do you all listen to religiously? What good out there? Share!
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Crabbs

Re: Podcast recommendations

Post by Crabbs »

I'm a big fan of The No Agenda Show with Adam Curry (yes the former MTV VJ) and John Dvorak.
I guess I'd classify it as alt politics/news. They 'deconstruct' news/politics/media using clips from News programs, Press conferences, CSPAN, etc to examine contradictions and lies in our hyper media environment. They come up with some true crackpot conspiracy theories which make me chuckle, but it's nice to see someone take the media and government to task for some of the BS they try to shovel on us.The two pull no punches and have a really good rapport, making it a fun listen if news/media/politics is your sort of thing.

TWIT is Leo Laport's baby and has a whole network based around it. They have all sorts of podcast tech and non tech related that are well done. worth checking outtwit.tv
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Astronomy Cast
The Reality Check
The Nerdist podcast
Spark (CBC)
The Geekbox
Polygon - The Besties Podcast
CAGcast
Gamers with Jobs Conference Call
Nerd Poker
The Bugle
The Skeptics Guide to the Universe
This Week in Science (TWIS)
Weekend Confirmed: The Video Game Show
Pritzker Military Library Podcasts

Gamewank (defunct but hilarious)
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Lets see...

Here's what I'm listening to right now.

Still Untitled: The Adam Savage Project - Stuff that Adam find interesting
Penn's Sunday School - Penn Jillette, atheism, libertarianism, etc
Freakonomics Radio - weird economics
Judge John Hodgman - Nerd court
NPR Ask Me Another - puzzles with Jonathan Coulton doing accompaniment
Wait Wait - news humor
The Bugle - news humor with John Oliver
This Week in Computer Hardware - TWiT
Windows Weekly - TWiT
Triangulation - TWiT
Tech News Today - TWiT
PC Gamer Podcast
Lifehacker
stessier

Post by stessier »

For Sports and reality show updates (appear on Grantland or iTunes)
  • BS Report by Bill Simmons
  • Hollywood Prospectus with Juliet Litman and David Jacoby (tears apart weekly reality shows)
  • Grantland Network with Jalen Rose - Jalen Rose and David Jacoby (generally about basketball, but covers other topics as well)
The rest are all comedy, I guess, and appear on Smodcast.com -
  • Smodcast - Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier talk about stuff
  • Hollywood Babble-on - Ralph Garmin and Kevin Smith comment on entertainment industry
  • Jay and Silent Bob Get Old - Kevin Smith and Jay Mewes talk about stuff - the first 8 or so talk about Jay's trouble with addiction which I found riveting
  • Plus One - Kevin Smith and Jennifer Schwabach (his wife) talk about stuff
  • Tell Em Steve Dave - Walt Flannagan, Bryan Johnson, & Brian Quinn talk about stuff from the Secret Stash in Redbank, NJ

A while back, someone mentioned a podcast about a D&D adventure that was supposed to be pretty funny as the thing spiraled off the rails. Does anyone remember what that was?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've started listening to the Adam Carolla podcast. He's often maddening but always funny.
He won. Period.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

The Nerdist
Sideshow Network - A variety of shows. I mostly listen to it for the comedy mixtape which is a short clip from various stand up comedians, but they have some good shows as well.
The Podcast History of Our World - It started out good, but slowed down when he got to the Israelites. There are worse ways to spend 30 minutes though.
WNYC's Radiolab - Very unique storytelling. Love it.
This American Life
StarTalk Radio - W/ Neil Degrasse Tyson.
Stuff You Missed in History Class
A Mediocre Time with Tom and Dan - Local radio guys that are doing a podcast now. Very juvenile. I tend to only listen when I'm in a stupid mood.
Mohr Stories
Gamers With Jobs
ESPN Fantasy Focus Football
CBS Sports Fantasy Football

I will be going through this thread and finding some more to subscribe to.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote:
A while back, someone mentioned a podcast about a D&D adventure that was supposed to be pretty funny as the thing spiraled off the rails. Does anyone remember what that was?
Pretty sure that was Nerd Poker.
Last edited by LawBeefaroni on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added forum link
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I don't listen to many, mostly when I am at the gym.

Hollywood Babel-on
This American Life
Mohr Stories
Joe Rogan Experience (only certain guests)

I will be downloading a bunch of family friendly ones late may though. Driving the 11.5 hours to Disney World with my 9 year old niece.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

My favorite right now is Caustic Soda Podcast. It covers topics ranging from parasites to evil dictators in a funny offensive way. It's not for weak of stomach or sensitive types.
Two recent-ish shows I would recommend to newbies would be Bats or Bad Books (which is more interesting than it might sound).
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Some of these have been mentioned, but my top Podcasts (in order of how I listen to them each week, not necessarily from best to worst):

Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me - a weekly humorous news quiz
This American Life - journalism that each week picks a theme and has three or four pieces related to that theme
Selected Shorts - great short stories read by actors; I've found a number of authors through this program
Sound Opinions - Music news and reviews
RadioLab - like This American Life but for science
RISK - an often stupid, occasionally funny, but almost always disgusting true story telling program
New Yorker Fiction - a monthly program where authors of New Yorker short stories read their favorite New Yorker short stories by other authors
Black Lives Matter
Seppe

Post by Seppe »

Dont listen to podcast much anymore, here is some that have not been mentioned:

WTF with Marc Maron Podcast == dependent on the guest.
The D6 Generation - Dice Are Our Vice == long. covers boardgames.
Three Moves Ahead - mostly about video games. Some really good stuff, probably my favorite of video game stuff.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I don't really listen to podcasts, but my radio station for a while was airing a program called The Moth that I quite liked and is also available as a podcast. It's a storytelling format.
http://themoth.org/" target="_blank
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
stessier

Post by stessier »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
stessier wrote:
Pretty sure that was Nerd Poker.
Thanks - now I just have to remember to check it out when I get home.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: This American Life - journalism that each week picks a theme and has three or four pieces related to that theme
I couldn't help but read this in the voice of Ira Glass.
nasai

Post by nasai »

hepcat wrote:I've started listening to the Adam Carolla podcast. He's often maddening but always funny.
To me, his is the ONLY podcast that is a must hear. Yes, he's a rant machine, but more often than not, he is so on target, it's insane.
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The Quarter to Three movie podcast is quite good. Great chemistry between the three hosts. (The QT3 games podcast is more of a crapshoot week-to-week -- depends on the games being discussed and if they have a good guest.)
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

Not much of a fan of Joe Rogan, but he's grown on me.
His podcast episodes with Doug Stanhope, Dave Attel, Neil Degrasse Tyson and Georgio Tsoukalos (the 1st one) are really entertaining listening. He's got a few more good ones, but those are my favs.
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Brian

Post by Brian »

Here's what I've been listening to lately:

Good Job, Brain! - Weekly fun trivia.
Girl On Guy - Hosted by Aisha Tyler (AKA Lana from Archer) doing celebrity interviews
(Go back through her history and listen to the Nathan Fillion and Seth Green podcasts!)
Sex Nerd Sandra - Weekly sex talk covering just about everything sex related. This week's podcast: Clown Sex. Seriously.

Edit: Forgot Penn's Sunday School - Penn Jillette being Penn Jillette
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I don't really listen to many of them , but my favourite one is Coverville.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Hollywood Babble-On
Startalk with Neil Degrass Tyson
Skeptics Guide to the Universe
Nerd Poker
The Bugle
Good Job Brain
Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me
Judge John Hodgeman
Jay and Silent Bob Get Old
Smodcast
Tell Em Steve-Dave
Savage Lovecast
The Smartest Man in the World (Greg Proops)
History According to Bob

I like Joe Rogan's humor, but I just can't listen to it when he starts going off on one of his conspiracy theories or metaphysical rants.

I really need to try This Week in Science again, but the last time I tried it it just seemed like two drunk scientists talking way over my head. :P
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Skeptoid
Hard History with Dan Carlin

and all the howstuffworks podcasts.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Sex With Emily (sex talk with Emily Morse and "White Menace" co-host)
Geek Love Radio (Geeks talk love)
Freakonomics
NPR Planet Money
Critical Moment of Awesome (Geeks talk current events)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Brian

Post by Brian »

Kasey Chang wrote:Sex With Emily (sex talk with Emily Morse and "White Menace" co-host)
We listened to that one for a while but Menace is just far too annoying. They also have a tendency to ramble way off the subject about the most inane things and take forever to get back to the subject.

So kudos to them for introducing us to Masque (which has been a real game changer :twisted: ) but we're done with that one. We'll stick with Sex Nerd Sandra.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

The Jays and Dan TSN podcast is so good it's now making me angry every time I listen that they are leaving for FOX Sports 1.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

J.D. wrote:The Jays and Dan TSN podcast is so good it's now making me angry every time I listen that they are leaving for FOX Sports 1.
They are continuing the podcast once they go south and Fox Sports 1 is looking into getting their Sportscentre(er?) up in Canada somehow.

I want to see them in a Raccoon fur coat for their first broadcast. ;)

And yeah, people, if you like the funny, this podcast is tremendous.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I know he has a few fans here, so I thought I'd mention Alton Brown has a new podcast fittingly called "The Alton Brown Cast".
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Not sure where to put this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8OZ_EpiHrQ" target="_blank All the best, boys!

Sent from my SGH-T999V
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Which leads me to this gem:
Fox Sports 1 (FS1) is an upcoming American sports-oriented cable and satellite television channel. The network will air live sporting events, including the UEFA Champions League, the UEFA Europa League, the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, Major League Baseball (starting in 2014), the UFC, the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, and original programming.

The network will be owned by the Fox Sports Media Group division of 21st Century Fox, and will launch on August 17, 2013, replacing Speed.
Fox Sports 1 will also absorb the remaining programming from Fox Soccer after the channel is replaced by FXX.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

tjg_marantz wrote:Not sure where to put this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8OZ_EpiHrQ" target="_blank All the best, boys!

Sent from my SGH-T999V
:cry:
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Brian wrote:We'll stick with Sex Nerd Sandra.
Those who like sex talk really needs to check out the SexNerd Sandra episode this week. It's 2 hours long... Bawdy Storytelling special celebrating Sandra's 100th episode. LOTS of awkward sex moments

http://bawdystorytelling.com/sexgeeksecrets-la/" target="_blank
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Thought I would put this back up on the list, see if anyone is listening to anything new.

My current rotation is:

Good Job Brain (thanks for the recommendation, Brian!)
The D&D podcast (when they have one)
Nerdist (on occasion. Depends if I like the guest they are talking to.)
This American Life
The Alton Browncast (Alton Brown talking about various topics. Best one he did was an hour and a half with Adam Savage talking about movies. But I think this one is dead, hasn't had a new episode for months.)
And my new addition, Picking Favorites. Zachary Levi, some buddies, and a celebrity guest talk about 3 favorite things of theirs.

Any other new recommendations from anyone?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Brian

Post by Brian »

In addition to the previous list:
Brian wrote:Good Job, Brain! - Weekly fun trivia.
Girl On Guy - Hosted by Aisha Tyler
Sex Nerd Sandra - Weekly sex talk with Sandra Dougherty
Penn's Sunday School - Penn Jillette being Penn Jillette
Star Talk Radio - With Neil deGrasse Tyson
Edumacation - With Kevin Smith & Andy McElfresh
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

The Allusionist. Episodes are short (about 15 min) and only has a new episode every 2 weeks but it's a fun way to learn about etymology.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Archinerd wrote:The Allusionist. Episodes are short (about 15 min) and only has a new episode every 2 weeks but it's a fun way to learn about etymology.
Awesome, I love insects!

:wink:
And I'll throw Invisibilia out there. Start here and here.

MYT
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Archinerd wrote:The Allusionist. Episodes are short (about 15 min) and only has a new episode every 2 weeks but it's a fun way to learn about etymology.
Awesome, I love insects!

:wink:
And I'll throw Invisibilia out there. Start here and here.
I could not get into Invisibilia. I don't exactly know what it is, but it's the same issue I have with Radiolab after season 2 or 3.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've become a bit of a podcast junkie. However, I have dropped a few shows that were just too time consuming. Namely GiantBomb and Screenrant. Both are excellent podcasts, but with most episodes going 2 1/2 - 3 hours+ each week, I just couldn't keep up. I also recently dropped the "Stuff You Missed in History Class" and "Stuff To Blow Your Mind" podcasts from HowStuffWorks.com. While the content was really interesting, it was basically two people reading me facts I could just Google myself if I really wanted to. Ultimately I couldn't stay interested in something that wasn't giving me some insight or perspective on those facts.

My current rotation is the following:

CoasterRadio.com - Probably my favorite podcast because it was my first. Two 40-ish year old theme park nerds who do a nice family-friendly show about theme parks. They've been going strong for 10 years and have a small but loyal fan base that they're very interactive with, which is a large part of their charm.

In the Loop - Another theme park podcast, but with a decidedly more R-rated cast. They tend to be a little more critical, but are still from a decidedly customer-centric point of view.

Season Pass - Yes, yet another theme park podcast. However, this is by far the most technical and in-depth of the bunch. With lengthy interviews from notable theme park personalities and designers, there are some real standout episodes. While most episodes average between an hour or two, they just did a four hour extremely detailed break down of Knott's Scary Farm Trapped haunted house with the designers. If you want to learn the details of design and how the industry really works, this is where it's at.

Chips, Dips and Dorks - The 80's Movie Podcast - Co-hosted by Mike Collins from CoasterRadio.com, this podcast (recorded on the cast's lunch break) has them talking about a different movie from the '80s each week. It's sort of like hanging out with a bunch of your nerdy co-workers discussing The Goonies.

The Dice Tower - Noted board game reviewer Tom Vasel hosts this podcast which is always entertaining. From reviews to game design to top ten lists, if you love board games you'll definitely want to check this one out every week.

Serial - If you don't know about this one already, then you don't really listen to podcasts.

The Memory Palace - Short but vivid episodes about historical personalities and their stories. Beautifully produced but be forewarned, new episodes come out very sporadically. Binge on the archive instead.

Here Be Monsters - Hard to describe and harder to put down. Here Be Monsters covers all sorts of fascinating stories about human nature - from crazy drug trips to Juggalo concerts, fake Bigfoots to singing crickets. You never know what you're going to get, but it's guaranteed to be interesting.

Criminal - Short episodes about various aspects of criminality. Great little show that explores unique aspects of criminal cases.

99% Invisible - Out of all the NPR-ish slickly produced podcasts, this one is probably my favorite. However, it's actually not produced by a big corporation, it just sounds like it. 99% Invisible tells stories about design - in buildings, logos, technology, and life. The stories are always interesting and I can honestly say this show has made me look at ordinary things in a much different light.

Invisibilia - I just started this one and I like it OK so far. Basically sort of a RadioLab clone with two women instead of two guys.

RadioLab - Speaking of RadioLab, another one of those NPR podcasts that have seen a lot of success. I haven't listened to a lot of these, and some of the production choices get a little annoying to me, but I like the content.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - I'm late to the game on this one, but I've been LOVING it. For those who don't already know, Dan Carlin has the uncanny ability to talk for 5 hours about Genghis Khan and make you hang on to every word. Really interesting insights into various historical figures and events that really bring it alive. If you even remotely like history, check out one episode. The one he did about the morality of dropping the atomic bomb was the first one I started with, and turned me into an instant fan.

TLDR - Another recent one I started - it's basically like an Invisibilia for stories about the Internet. Really good so far.

Here's the Thing with Alec Baldwin - I know, I know - you don't like Alec Baldwin. But let me tell you - while I'm not a fan of the guy personally, he makes for a hell of an interviewer. Each episode he sits down with a celebrity for a half hour chat and never shies away from tough questions. If you like to hear celebrities letting their guard down to chat with one of their own, check it out.

Welcome to Night Vale - A fictionalized radio show purporting to come from a desert town called Night Vale where the supernatural is the norm. Part horror, part comedy, and totally strange. The best way to see if it's your cup of tea is to just listen to the pilot episode. If you stick around, however, you'll start to see a rich world built up over time.

Thrilling Adventure Hour - This show is actually filmed live in Hollywood with a rotating cast. It's done in the style of old radio dramas, with various recurring shows alternating each week. The parody of old-time radio programs is spot-on and hilarious. I'm eagerly awaiting the rumored crossover with Welcome to Night Vale.

The Truth - Just recently started this one which is described as "audio movies." Short fictional narratives done entirely with sound and always varied. The first episode I caught was a somewhat creepy sci-fi piece about a device that could extract historic sounds from wooden furniture, and the second was a somewhat comedic character study of a guy getting a tow truck ride. So obviously there's no telling what you'll get each episode. Definitely entertaining enough, however, that I'll continue to check out their archive.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

YellowKing wrote: 99% Invisible - Out of all the NPR-ish slickly produced podcasts, this one is probably my favorite. However, it's actually not produced by a big corporation, it just sounds like it. 99% Invisible tells stories about design - in buildings, logos, technology, and life. The stories are always interesting and I can honestly say this show has made me look at ordinary things in a much different light.
This is one of my top 2 favorites. The other is Caustic Soda which I mentioned further up thread.
I usually listen all the way to the end (of 99%) even on episodes I'm not that interested in just to hear what My boy Carver/Maslow have to say.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Snap Judgment.
It's almost as if people are the problem.