Podcast recommendations

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Re: Podcast recommendations

Post by Jaymann »

Starting tomorrow, Sam Harris is going to pay subscription only. You can register and plead poverty if you must, but fuck that. I'm gonna check out Skeptics Guide and some others on this list.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

I recently started listening to podcasts during my commute and have come across a couple true stories that have been really compelling and very well done...

The Shrink Next Door - The story of a man who develops a relationship with a new psychiatrist in the early 80s, then lets that doctor manipulate and take over his life for almost 30 years. The whole story was uncovered when the reporter telling the story moved in next door to the patient's multi-million dollar home in the Hamptons...where the psychiatrist had been living with his wife for years.

Dr. Death - A young neurosurgeon begins practicing in the Dallas area, but it quickly becomes apparent that he is either completely incompetent, or intentionally harming people. The story outlines the challenges of stopping a harmful surgeon, and the broken system that allowed him to seriously injure or kill 33 patients before his career was finally ended...and he became the first physician ever sent to prison for medical malpractice.
nasai

Post by nasai »

Since my show is back up and running, I'll be a POS and post my links here:

https://apple.co/3bv3aH1 - Rockstar Radicals (Self Improvement)
https://apple.co/3qwThie - Rockstar Superhero (Music Interviews, etc)

I just moved the shows to Spreaker and they resubmitted everything, so my entire subscriber base (and ratings!) are gone. Totally bummed, but Spreaker is a mile and a half above Libsyn, so I guess you gotta break some eggs. I hope you enjoy it, though. FWIW, YMMV. :roll:
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Been looking to add suggested Podcasts! I need something to break up the monotony at work. Like always, thanks guys!

My favorites are:
Conan O'Brian Needs a Friend - some episodes I have to stop what I'm doing because of laughing so hard!
For the Record: The 70's - music of the decade dissected with research and opinion.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
nasai

Post by nasai »

KKBlue wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:55 pm Been looking to add suggested Podcasts! I need something to break up the monotony at work. Like always, thanks guys!

My favorites are:
Conan O'Brian Needs a Friend - some episodes I have to stop what I'm doing because of laughing so hard!
For the Record: The 70's - music of the decade dissected with research and opinion.
I love Conan too, although I've found I have to skip the first ten minutes a lot of times. I know it's his schtick, but his whole "talking like a guy from the 30's" thing has worn thin. Yes, he's amazingly quick witted and I do love Sona. Just that I want to get to the interview. His shows with Dana Carvey, and especially Timothy Olyphant, are LEGEND.
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

nasai wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:07 pm ... and I do love Sona.
Finished the current podcast with Dave Grohl which was fun. Nasai, please do listen through to the very end :-)
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
nasai

Post by nasai »

KKBlue wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:11 pm
nasai wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:07 pm ... and I do love Sona.
Finished the current podcast with Dave Grohl which was fun. Nasai, please do listen through to the very end :-)
:horse:
Holman

Post by Holman »

In the area of of history, some of my favorites are:

Tides of History: currently focusing on deeply researched discussions of early civilizations, but back issues include all kinds of topics.

Revolutions: long multi-episode treatments of various revolutionary periods in history (meaning actual political revolutions) from the 16th century to the present.

Fall of Civilizations: deep-dive episodes into past civilizations at the moment when everything changed for them, with a special focus on archaeology and anthropology.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Some podcasts are so great you assume everybody knows about them. If you don't, check out Lex Fridman. Of Russian lineage, Lex focuses on AI, computation, science, technology, history, philosophy and the nature of intelligence, consciousness, love, and power (whew). He has some of the best guests anywhere, and even has the guts to play Comfortably Numb on the guitar.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter