[TV] The Americans on FX

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [TV] The Americans on FX

Post by hepcat »

And I hope they never get to the point where they go for the easy story that appeals to people with short attention spans and who aren't watching each week.
He won. Period.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Many shows would have dropped a bombshell like that in a season finale. I am glad there are 3 eps left to process. I love how they handled it, and how they shot the final scene when Stan came over.
Spoiler:
They did a phenomenal job with camera work to show how Paige sees everything differently now. Just really well done.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Quaro

Post by Quaro »

As long as every episode is put together as well as they have been, I don't mind the slow burn at all. Some of these scenes are just astonishing. The closing scene of that last episode, just wow.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm torn between thinking the Pastor is hiding some secret, and thinking he's just coming across ominous in his scenes with the family because he's so normal that it highlights Elizabeth and Phillip's abnormality even more.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:I'm torn between thinking the Pastor is hiding some secret, and thinking he's just coming across ominous in his scenes with the family because he's so normal that it highlights Elizabeth and Phillip's abnormality even more.
I'm thinking the Pastor is going to meet The Lord in a future episode after learning a certain secret...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Just based on Paige's not confessing to The Pastor when given the opportunity and watching her eyes open when Stan comes for dinner that The Pastor will not learn this secret. Not saying that he's not irritating enough to eliminate, however ;)
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Jolor wrote:Just based on Paige's not confessing to The Pastor when given the opportunity and watching her eyes open when Stan comes for dinner that The Pastor will not learn this secret. Not saying that he's not irritating enough to eliminate, however ;)
It's early. I think it will just come out by accident and she'll believe she could trust him being a man of God and all. Unfortunately, I don't think the secrecy of confession matters much to her atheist parents.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

The pastor is just creepy. I don't think they'd build someone up so well without there being a payoff. He's going to die but I'm not sure how. I think Phillip will be the one to kill him.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

EvilHomer3k wrote:The pastor is just creepy. I don't think they'd build someone up so well without there being a payoff. He's going to die but I'm not sure how. I think Phillip will be the one to kill him.
It's also entirely possible he is being observed by the FBI and they'll start to pump him for information after he's arrested during a political protest. If he reports a strange vibe from Paige's parents based on what she's been telling him...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:
EvilHomer3k wrote:The pastor is just creepy. I don't think they'd build someone up so well without there being a payoff. He's going to die but I'm not sure how. I think Phillip will be the one to kill him.
It's also entirely possible he is being observed by the FBI and they'll start to pump him for information after he's arrested during a political protest. If he reports a strange vibe from Paige's parents based on what she's been telling him...
If they decide to be a little out there it will be Henry, the one whom the Centre should have been recruiting all along, who will put an end to this meddling pastor.
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would love to see the internal family struggle between an unwilling Paige, and a rarin' to go Henry.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Once Stan figures out he can use his ex-wife to manipulate Henry, things are going to get extra weird.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Huh? You mean if Stan learns that the Phillips are spies?
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, in my scenario where Pastor Tim provides some intel and Stan then decides to investigate his neighbors based on their weird schedules and the fact that they *could* be the man/woman team they've been chasing now for two seasons...

I doubt anything like that would ever happen only because it would remove all those awesome tense moments and now they clearly have tons of new options with Paige suddenly seeing things differently.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Wow that didn't take long to happen... Oh Paige.
Black lives matter!

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Our favorite communists are back tonight! Can't wait to see how it all goes off the rails for our spy family this season along with life expectancy of various characters on the show.
Black lives matter!

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I was excited to see the commercials starting up last month. It's a great show.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Thanks for the reminder!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Odin

Post by Odin »

I think I'm still a full season or more behind on this show. My wife and I had been watching it together, preferably without the kids around due to some of the racier scenes. But the kids started staying up later and my wife seemed to be busier and we didn't watch it at all for a good year. Finally I said that we needed to get caught up and she confessed that she doesn't really dig "all those dramas you watch" (by which she means everything from Americans to superhero shows, Lucifer, the Expanse, etc., etc.,). Evidently she prefers sit-coms and just never bothered to say so. We've been watching Last Man Standing on Netflix and she's happy as a lark. I'm fine with that, but it left me with scads of unwatched Americans episodes that I can't seem to get caught up on with all the other shows I'm currently watching.

That said, I like it quite a bit, and am looking forward to seeing what happens next.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Well, I've watched through the first four seasons of The Americans on Amazon. Overall, pretty good, especially season 3 and 4.
Spoiler:
I didn't really like season 2- the season storyline was weak, one or two plot points were dropped and the FBI/Americans felt completely stupid and incompetent

I like Philip and Elizabeth's characterization during season 3 and 4, and I the paige plotline was very well done, and I also liked the Martha storyline, but I had trouble buying how easily convinced she was by Clark after she learned that he had been completely lying to her. Also, for some reason some of the english subtitles to Russian scenes weren't being shown, so I never completely understood the point of the new woman at the rezedentura except that she was somehow related to the biological weapons storyline.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Bumpity bump
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Awesome! Placeholder while I finish watching the last season on Amazon. I assume no one kept watching since the last post is from 2015?
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Been watching every week. Top 3 show on TV.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Us as well though we are a week behind.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm back a week too. I'm really enjoying this season so far. I recommend it to everyone I know.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yup, we're a week behind but still enjoying it and I've found that I'm enamored with Keri Russell. Her side-swept hair and those soft and fuzzy sweaters are taking me back to a time as a teenager when girls were suddenly becoming less icky.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I could watch Frank Langella for the entire hour. One of the greats. The actor who plays Stan has also really stood out from day one.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Agreed about Stan. Amazing acting chops, and cast perfectly.

We finished season 4 last night. Is there no FX channel on cable TV? I'd rather not watch it on my iPad via the FX app.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Because there's just so much good TV lately and now Fargo and Archer have started up I'm a couple episodes behind. But everything I've watched this season has been great and even though I'll miss the show when the final season debuts in 2018 I'm glad that they'll probably do a great job wrapping things up.
Black lives matter!

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Series finale starts on 3/28. Probably a bit too early to care, but here's the first trailer...
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Not watching the trailer. Going in cold. Can't wait!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

tjg_marantz wrote:Not watching the trailer. Going in cold. Can't wait!

Same
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:59 am
tjg_marantz wrote:Not watching the trailer. Going in cold. Can't wait!

Same
Watched the trailer. Coming in hot!
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

That was spectacular. I'm going to miss this show terribly. Anyone on the fence, go for it. The story is told.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/05/the-amer ... story.html

So much sadness for everyone involved. Every character has about 2 or 3 questions that remain unanswered and yet the story is over and it feels right. Heartbreaking.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

So far behind but we WILL watch this.

I've got the past 27 episodes on the TiVo, unwatched. I need another holiday weekend to catch up...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

27? :shock: In a row?

We're also behind. I think we watched the first episode of this last season but that's it. Loved this show so much - sad to see it ending, but I'm glad they had a full run.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 6:57 pm 27? :shock: In a row?

We're also behind. I think we watched the first episode of this last season but that's it. Loved this show so much - sad to see it ending, but I'm glad they had a full run.

Yeah, like two-and-a-half seasons. Dedicated hoarder...
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Well, watched the finale and thought it was pretty damn perfect.

Note: the spoilers below also contain a reference to the last episode of breaking bad.
Spoiler:
I was actually happy that there wasn't any big gunfight or crazy car chase across the border at the end. The writers have always gone for a certain restraint that I think ultimately has more impact (so much so, that it's led me to re-evaluate the breaking bad finale--I mean, remote control machine gun in a trunk, really?). I can't recall being as glued to a TV screen as watching the showdown with Stan in the garage or feeling as gut punched as seeing Paige on the train platform. It's true that Philip and Elizabeth got away, but as little Gamora asked, "What did it cost you?"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I also loved that they went for an understated and emotional ending instead of a guns blazing action finale.
Spoiler:
I thought for sure that the scene on the train with the cops checking passports would end with Philip and Elizabeth seeing Paige on the platform under arrest. But the fact that she chose to stay and face either imprisonment or the life of a fugitive was equally devastating. I've not always liked her character, but she really did come into her own on this last season.

As for Stan, I love that they didn't reveal whether or not his lady was a Russian spy.

Overall, it was a respectful, thoughtful send off for a show that sometimes meandered off course, but still gave us a story that was unique.
He won. Period.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

There's a 17 minute stretch where the only words uttered are by the border patrol guy. The tension building is fabulous. It'll be terribly missed.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs