You're going to like the way you look...

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Biyobi

Re: You're going to like the way you look...

Post by Biyobi »

Probably several vintage shops in Boston that would love them.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote:My wife keeps inviting me to these technology conferences that I can get into for free, often on interesting topics with prominent keynoters and usually with receptions (scallops wrapped in bacon!) afterward. I keep refusing because what few "business casual" clothes I own are decades old and ill-fitting. She says I could get away with jeans and a polo shirt but I don't want to be the guy who obviously doesn't belong there.
Jeans and a polo or oxford. Bring a black blazer and if you feel under-dressed, put it on.

If it were a cardiology or investment banking conference, that's one thing. A tech conference? Pack your sandals.
Kraken wrote:I ought to just give away my ancient clothes, or maybe try to sell them. Is there a market for dress shirts from the 1980s?
Vintage shop for cash or Goodwill/other charity for the writeoff.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I don't have a blazer. I have a couple of 20-year-old sport coats that are too tight to button. Probably ought to buy a new one someday.

I should've mentioned that these conferences are sponsored by MIT. My wife just met Jeff Bezos at tonight's reception. Clothing is generally hipster hip...which I think means plaid, although I'm hazy on that point. I'll have to ask her what Bezos was wearing.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Generation Tux
Just outside Louisville, former Men’s Wearhouse chief executive George Zimmer has packed a 250,000-square-foot distribution center with 30,000 tuxedos, which, if his new business venture goes well, will soon be shipping out to grooms and promgoers across the country.

After being fired in 2013 from the company he founded, Zimmer announced Monday that he is reentering the retail fray with an e-commerce site called Generation Tux, a suit and formal wear rental shop that aims to reimagine how guys get gussied up for special occasions.

Generation Tux is designed to be a more millennial- and Generation Z-friendly version of the old-school process of renting a tuxedo: The selection is done entirely online; there’s free shipping both ways; and tailoring is to be done at the customer’s home by zTailor, another Zimmer startup.

Generation Tux is also promising more stylish garments made of out of better fabrics than what one might get at a more traditional outpost. All tuxedos will rent for $95, and it can cost up to $150 for a full outfit that includes cuff links, shoes, bow ties and other pieces.
Zimmer will have some advantages as he tries to build Generation Tux. He’s received financial backing from the likes of Salesforce, the technology giant. And he has deep experience in the men’s formal wear category, which comes through when he talks about his target customer: It’s really a bride that he must win over, Zimmer says, not a groom.

“It’s pretty clear that although the groom would like to be included and have the opportunity to express his opinion, the final decision is the bride’s,” Zimmer said.

And yet building Generation Tux into a major retailing force won’t be easy. For starters, there are some signs that demand for tuxedo rentals might be slowing down more broadly. Men’s Wearhouse’s current chief executive, Douglas Ewert, said on a recent conference call with investors that rental income was down 3.3 percent in the latest quarter. The company believes that’s because many men are choosing to buy formal wear these days instead of rent it. Indeed, upstarts such as Bonobos, Trunk Club, Black Lapel and Indochino are trying to carve out niches outfitting men for weddings.

Plus, think about all the Pinterest-inspired weddings you’ve been to lately, the ones that took place in a historic barn and were decorated with burlap table runners and tea lights in mason jars. Rustic, shabby-chic weddings are all the rage, and those don’t call for a tuxedo. Zimmer said he’s not worried about the shift to less dressy weddings since he also rents out suits. And, he contends, it’s not like we’re seeing men showing up on the altar in T-shirts.
Generation Tux is a companion to another new venture that Zimmer launched earlier this year called zTailor. That business is something like Uber for tailors, meaning users of the site can summon a tailor to their home to do garment fittings.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Plus, think about all the Pinterest-inspired weddings you’ve been to lately, the ones that took place in a historic barn and were decorated with burlap table runners and tea lights in mason jars. Rustic, shabby-chic weddings are all the rage, and those don’t call for a tuxedo.
All of them? The only time I've been to a wedding like this was 20 years ago in the Kentucky mountains.

Ah well, only in America can that guy get away with murder, domestic abuse, and felony gun possession, and then go on to sell tuxes online. ( :wink: )
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zimmer, not Zimmerman. :P
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Plus, think about all the Pinterest-inspired weddings you’ve been to lately, the ones that took place in a historic barn and were decorated with burlap table runners and tea lights in mason jars. Rustic, shabby-chic weddings are all the rage, and those don’t call for a tuxedo.
All of them? The only time I've been to a wedding like this was 20 years ago in the Kentucky mountains.
One of the many Kim Davis hitchings?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
I was at one on Saturday. No suits in evidence, let alone tuxes, although two men wore kilts. Us oldsters wore sport jackets (a few even with neckties); some of the youngsters had vests, but most were in slacks and collared shirts.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I guess it no longer suits him.
As it turns out, he has no desire to leave the lovely Hawaiian islands. He just wants something a little more private so he bought rocker Neil Young's place for $20 million.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I just got an email that Men’s Wearhouse will be filing for Chapter 11.

As I said earlier, and have been living for the past four months, there is nothing in my job duties that specifically requires that I wear long pants.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I bought two new suits right as this whole thing started. Haven’t even taken them out of the garment bag...hoping they’ll still fit.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I bought a suit a few months back mainly to burn off an old gift certificate before something like this happened. Of course, haven't needed a suit with all the COVID. Still need to get the pants hemmed one day.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I probably need to get a new interview suit one of these days, but never cared for this place. Sales would have to be pretty steep to get me to check it out.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I have a pair of black slacks, that don't fit. So I asked amazon to send me a few pair to try on, and some black button up shirts as well. you can probably guess what kind of event I need those for.
The slacks have not been worn in so long they had dust on them from being on the hanger.

I think I shopped at mens warehouse one time, about 20 years ago. sometime since then, I made a vow to myself to never wear a tie again. (for work)
and I have kept that promise. All worn ties have been for costume or comedic effect.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:34 pm I have a pair of black slacks, that don't fit. So I asked amazon to send me a few pair to try on, and some black button up shirts as well. you can probably guess what kind of event I need those for.
A protest?

Wonder if Men's Warehouse emerges or if men's formal is just dead. Brook's Brothers also went BK recently.

MYT
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

A funeral, unfortunately. All black for a funeral.

There are still plenty of folks who wear suits and actual business attire for work and business. I guess they just shop fancier places then mens warehouse.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:16 pm A funeral, unfortunately. All black for a funeral.

Sorry to hear it.

*Suddenly panics about all the times he wore a white shirt to a funeral*

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Next funeral Im thinking straw hat, Hawaiian shirt, and short shorts. You know, just to liven the place up a bit. They're always so depressing.

And yes Im sorry for a funeral too. Ive grown to HATE them. Because of funerals Ive not enjoyed the smell of fresh florist flowers in over 20 years. Wife didn't either.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:46 am Sales would have to be pretty steep to get me to check it out.
We started at Men's Wearhouse when I bought my suits. Granted I don't do much suit shopping, but they seemed incredibly expensive to me. I asked for a very basic blue or grey suit, and the lowest price one the guy would show me was $600.

We left and went somewhere else, found got two suits (one grey and one blue) for $650. I'm sure the one the Men's Wearhouse guy was selling is probably better quality, but for as seldom as I wear them, I didn't much care.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Last suit I got was from Foley's. They have really amazing sales a couple times a year when they are switching out merchandise. If you can wait, it's a great way to get fantastic prices (assuming you can find something in your size).

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TheMix wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:27 am Last suit I got was from Foley's. They have really amazing sales a couple times a year when they are switching out merchandise. If you can wait, it's a great way to get fantastic prices (assuming you can find something in your size).
But they would be last year's design!!!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

True. Plus I was informed that it's Dillards, not Foley's. Whatever. You've seen one anchor store, you've seen them all. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:41 pm We left and went somewhere else, found got two suits (one grey and one blue) for $650. I'm sure the one the Men's Wearhouse guy was selling is probably better quality, but for as seldom as I wear them, I didn't much care.
This is why something off the rack at JCP works for me just fine and probably clocks in around $200.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:41 pm
Jeff V wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:46 am Sales would have to be pretty steep to get me to check it out.
We started at Men's Wearhouse when I bought my suits. Granted I don't do much suit shopping, but they seemed incredibly expensive to me. I asked for a very basic blue or grey suit, and the lowest price one the guy would show me was $600.

We left and went somewhere else, found got two suits (one grey and one blue) for $650. I'm sure the one the Men's Wearhouse guy was selling is probably better quality, but for as seldom as I wear them, I didn't much care.
When they have sales, they are decent. Otherwise overpriced. On the other hand, I did buy my tux there in '99, and they refit it for me in 2017 for free, so that was nice (but I'm pushing how much they could expand it now - original jacket needed broadening in the shoulders, and the pants are as long and let out as they can be. I did have to pick up the Casablanca White(well, cream) Tux Jacket as well during one of the sales, which I do love.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.