[TV] Agents of Shield

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Scraper

Re: [TV] Agents of Shield

Post by Scraper »

Turtle wrote:They've actually been decently good at making it so that you don't need to watch the movies to know everything. It helps, but the franchise runner and Whedon himself likes to keep them reasonably separate, and the movie has no cross overs with AoSh.
I have to disagree with this a little bit. If you didn't see WInter Soldier prior to seeing the very next episode of Agents of Shield then the movie would have been spoiled. I hear the same thing about last night's episode and Ultron. So I will keep the season finale on DVR until I see Ultron, and then watch them in the correct order.
FTE
Jag

Post by Jag »

Scraper wrote:
Turtle wrote:They've actually been decently good at making it so that you don't need to watch the movies to know everything. It helps, but the franchise runner and Whedon himself likes to keep them reasonably separate, and the movie has no cross overs with AoSh.
I have to disagree with this a little bit. If you didn't see WInter Soldier prior to seeing the very next episode of Agents of Shield then the movie would have been spoiled. I hear the same thing about last night's episode and Ultron. So I will keep the season finale on DVR until I see Ultron, and then watch them in the correct order.
Winter Soldier tie in was much bigger than Ultron but is more satisfying if you watch Ultron before last night's SHIELD.
Odin

Post by Odin »

There's actually a moderately sizable (or huge, if you go by mass) cool moment in Ultron that would be utterly spoiled by this week's MAoS. So while you can watch the show without seeing the movies and it pretty much all makes sense, if you ever DO plan to see the movies, some of the biggest and/or coolest surprises will likely lose some luster.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Agreed. My brother hasn't seen Ultron and asked me to prescreen AoS for him. 6 minutes in I had to call him and ask for parameters because while everything will make sense without seeing Ultron and you won't really know you are spoiled until seeing Ultron, you will indeed be spoiled.

As for the episode itself, you can bet I didn't see that end coming. Very enjoyable.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thank you for this thread. I'll be seeing Ultron in a couple of weeks - I'll leave the last few episodes on hold until afterward.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

stessier wrote:Agreed. My brother hasn't seen Ultron and asked me to prescreen AoS for him. 6 minutes in I had to call him and ask for parameters because while everything will make sense without seeing Ultron and you won't really know you are spoiled until seeing Ultron, you will indeed be spoiled.
This. I love that it seems to be a throwaway moment in the series, but it actually strengthens BOTH. I don't think it matters in which order you see it, personally.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Hyena wrote:
stessier wrote:Agreed. My brother hasn't seen Ultron and asked me to prescreen AoS for him. 6 minutes in I had to call him and ask for parameters because while everything will make sense without seeing Ultron and you won't really know you are spoiled until seeing Ultron, you will indeed be spoiled.
This. I love that it seems to be a throwaway moment in the series, but it actually strengthens BOTH. I don't think it matters in which order you see it, personally.
Yep, if you see the movie first it creates kind of a WTF moment, whereas the TV series explains that WTF moment. So in a way the TV show is a spoiler but its really not a major deal in my opinion.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Odin

Post by Odin »

It's not, except that in the movie it's an "OH YES!" moment, whereas in the show it's more of an "oh, that's cool" moment. Better to see it fresh in the film, IMO.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Wow, so many shocking things in that episode I don't know where to start.

I thought we were finally on the verge of a Fitz-Simmons relationship, but WTF happened?
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Rip wrote:Wow, so many shocking things in that episode I don't know where to start.

I thought we were finally on the verge of a Fitz-Simmons relationship, but WTF happened?
Spoiler:
Mac did a hell of a job on his first day of Alien Artifact security head. Fitz literally leans on the door handle and it opens. You can't even put a pad lock on the thing?
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Rip

Post by Rip »

Scoop20906 wrote:
Rip wrote:Wow, so many shocking things in that episode I don't know where to start.

Spoiler:
Mac did a hell of a job on his first day of Alien Artifact security head. Fitz literally leans on the door handle and it opens. You can't even put a pad lock on the thing?

Ummm, you mean Simmons, right? Fitz was gone already.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Rip wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:

Spoiler:

Ummm, you mean Simmons, right? Fitz was gone already.
Spoiler:
It is not clear if it is Fitz's fault or not but Fitz leaned on the container and probably trigged something when he lose his balance while asking Simmons out to eat somewhere nice
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I thoroughly enjoyed this season and the finale.
Spoiler:
I like what they did with Cal. It feels like they gave him a happy ending, but really all they did was take his family away from him again by erasing his memory. If he ever starts to remember he will be back with a vengeance.

Sidenote: when he finally transformed into Mr. Hyde my fiance was shocked. She turned to me and asked "What is he, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?" Well yes... that's almost exactly what he is!
Any thoughts on Simmons? I am not looking forward to waiting all summer just to find out what the hell happened in that scene.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Its so hard to guess where they are going to go with this or much on the show.

For example, Ward's story this season was all over the place although in hindsight it just seems like they were trying to give him something to do before he became the new head of Hydra.

I suspect she is trapped in the Kree block and Skye is able to free her using her vibrate powers but the experience leave her with scars like Fitz.

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Well, that certainly was a lot of TV! And very good TV, by and large. Ward and Bobbi may be the most interesting characters on the show at this point -- hope they both have plenty to do next season. I wonder if Simmons
Spoiler:
will end up powers from her time in the Kree stone, so that she can join Skye's new secret super-team.
I thought the show's biggest weak point this season was the actor who played Skye's mother. It was such a pivotal, crucial role, and it really could have used someone of Kyle MacLachlan's caliber.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

AWS260 wrote: I thought the show's biggest weak point this season was the actor who played Skye's mother. It was such a pivotal, crucial role, and it really could have used someone of Kyle MacLachlan's caliber.
Agreed. Skye's mom just came across as flat all season. Pretty, but not much substance in that character. Might be a gross exaggeration, but I don't think there is anyone that could have matched MacLachlan's energy. He basically stole every scene he was in. Great fluctuations between mania, cheerful dad, and calm, rational doctor. That scene of them hanging out for "daddy/daughter day" was greatness. Regarding the mom,
Spoiler:
I hope the mom is gone for good, but if she can be reassembled and sewn back up, surely she can heal from a broken neck/back. My guess is that S.H.I.E.L.D. wouldn't have allowed her to stay dead, they probably locked her up somewhere.
I liked how, in the final shot, they
Spoiler:
explain the coming outbreak of Inhumans in the world, setting up both new allies and new enemies for next season.
Also, this just in, Mockingbird is smokin' hot.

All in all, very good TV.

**edit because it's hard to "stone" a scene...
Last edited by Hyena on Thu May 14, 2015 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I want to disagree that Skye's mommy was a weak spot on the show because I find the actress to be smoking hot...but sadly, I cannot. MacLachlan was a goddamn force of nature throughout his appearance. He even made me overlook the incredibly silly makeup they used on him in the season finale.

I also want more of the tattooed mini-hulk that showed up in the bar with Ward. I kept expecting him to ask Ward to lift him up on the bar. He was like a doll version of a neo-nazi.
He won. Period.
Trozam

Post by Trozam »

hepcat wrote: I also want more of the tattooed mini-hulk that showed up in the bar with Ward. I kept expecting him to ask Ward to lift him up on the bar. He was like a doll version of a neo-nazi.
The actor's name is Loki. I think he was born for the role.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

AWS260 wrote:Well, that certainly was a lot of TV! And very good TV, by and large. Ward and Bobbi may be the most interesting characters on the show at this point -- hope they both have plenty to do next season. I wonder if Simmons
Spoiler:
will end up powers from her time in the Kree stone, so that she can join Skye's new secret super-team.
I thought the show's biggest weak point this season was the actor who played Skye's mother. It was such a pivotal, crucial role, and it really could have used someone of Kyle MacLachlan's caliber.
Regarding Simmons
Spoiler:
I think Simmons does gain powers. They spent most of the 2nd half of the season establishing her fear of and desire to catalog and control the powered, including Skye. It seems like they may just be setting her up to see thing from the other side.
Im thinking that the TV execs decided that giving Morse and Hunter their own series would have taken a key dynamic they spent a season building, out of AOS at the cost of diluting the cast. Its likely the decision to give Agent Carter another season also figured into the decision to axe the Mockingbird spinoff. Honestly, I think it was a good choice. AOS has really found itself and they probably should give it some stability in the "team" dynamic for a change.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

I'm a few episodes behind, but i think MacLachlan is the best character plus the acting is superb. And, I was pleasantly surprised that he pronounced Milwaukee correctly (one does not pronounce the L if you grew up there). :D
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Simmons
Spoiler:
Given that either Gordon or Skye's mom pointed out that the Kree block was a threat to Inhumans, I'm guessing that Simmons will gain powers but end up on the foe end of the spectrum.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Shinjin wrote:Simmons
Spoiler:
Given that either Gordon or Skye's mom pointed out that the Kree block was a threat to Inhumans, I'm guessing that Simmons will gain powers but end up on the foe end of the spectrum.
Spoiler:
anti-inhuman

Maybe she will be like Highlander?
:D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My guess for Simmons?
Spoiler:
They're going to do something similar to what Joss did on Angel with Fred/Illyria.
He won. Period.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

hepcat wrote:My guess for Simmons?
Spoiler:
They're going to do something similar to what Joss did on Angel with Fred/Illyria.
Too soon ... too soon.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Yeah, well she ended up smoking hot on Person of Interest as a full-time this last season, and bunch of other bit roles before that. So, I'm not gonna complain about what happened to her character in that show. ;)
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Turtle wrote:Yeah, well she ended up smoking hot on Person of Interest as a full-time this last season, and bunch of other bit roles before that. So, I'm not gonna complain about what happened to her character in that show. ;)
She is rocking the role of Root. Unfortunately it looks like that will come to an end in 13 episodes, next season.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Season 3 got off to a great start! A new villain! A new bus! New shadowy government villains/misguided good guys? Simmons on another world! Skye, er, Daisy(?) looking really damn good in a tank top!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Shinjin wrote:
hepcat wrote:My guess for Simmons?
Spoiler:
Too soon ... too soon.
Well, I was wrong. Instead they went with what happened to
He won. Period.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Great season opener. The show has a definite direction now. The bubbly feel good moments are giving way to darker and more serious themes as the history of shield has built up. I like the new take charge Skye (she will never be Daisy) to me. I miss her hacking stuff tho.

We finally have powered Heros on the show full time. I like that. Production costs have improved too it seems.

But the body count of this show. So many regular characters have died. I need to sit down and count them out.

Odin

Post by Odin »

Good news for AoS - 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' Emerges as Number 1 Scripted Show For Timeslot in Adults 18-49. Hopefully people liked the premiere enough to stick with it. I know I did.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Its nice to see that the slow season one character development run has paid off. Since the Winter Soldier tie-in this show has really kicked it in gear. AOS has really become a fun show to watch.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I'd swear that May's father was wearing the exact same costume in AoS that he wore in RIPD.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Holy @#$%!!! Just caught up on this season - wow! Really, really liking this show. Now I have to figure out when Coulson
Spoiler:
saved the Asgardian

as I don't remember it from the show. Maybe I need to rewatch season one....
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Odin

Post by Odin »

Season 1, Episode 8 - The Well
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Feels like a long time ago.

stessier

Post by stessier »

Just got caught up and am loving this season! I really enjoy Mack and his pairing with Daisy. I wish they would release the whole season at once. This waiting 9 months for a story to unfold is so 1990.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Sabassis

Post by Sabassis »

Loving this show this season. Skye(i agree will never be Daisy) has so matured as an actress and character. Im really enjoying this show. And Maye needs to get over herself.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I've been enjoying it for the most part, although there have been some killed off that bothered me a little. But I'm hoping that the plan isn't what it seems to be with Simmons.
Spoiler:
If the story is that she goes back to rescue some dream-boy she fell in love with.
If that is the storyline I will probably be less apt to watch. I want alien drama not love triangle drama.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I thought this week's episode was very good, partly because it was well-written and told a good story, and partly because it's pretty daring to take an ensemble show and literally spend the entire episode with just one of the characters. Plus I've always kind of liked Simmons, so it was good to spend some time with her. I could have lived without the romance, but I suppose it wasn't unrealistic given the circumstances. If you have one guy and one girl on an entire planet with no sure chance of getting home, chances are probably good that they'll hook up.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I do wonder who came through the portal with a man sized bamboo cage. Or, if Well's built it, why he built a man sized bamboo cage.
He won. Period.