Captain America-The Winter Soidier (spoilerific spoilers!!!)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

msteelers

Re: Captain America-The Winter Soidier (spoilerific spoilers

Post by msteelers »

noxiousdog wrote:
McBa1n wrote: Probably Marvel's best to date, which isn't saying a lot,
By what measure can this even remotely be believable?
+1
Odin

Post by Odin »

McBa1n wrote:Finally caught the movie. It's really good. Probably Marvel's best to date, which isn't saying a lot, but still - very solid action flick.
FYI "isn't" does not mean the same as "is." English is tough, though, so I can understand the confusion.
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

Odin wrote:
McBa1n wrote:Finally caught the movie. It's really good. Probably Marvel's best to date, which isn't saying a lot, but still - very solid action flick.
FYI "isn't" does not mean the same as "is." English is tough, though, so I can understand the confusion.
Heh, no need to be a shitbird about it, sir.
It made sense in my brain when I wrote it... Pardon me if my English is inelegant at times. I shall edit it -- for clarity.
It was an incorrect word and probably deserved the laughs and snark it received. Well done, sirs. Well done. Thank you for your understanding. I will try to edit myself better in the future.

No need to be rude. Mistakes do happen to some of us more than others (me being the former).
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Odin

Post by Odin »

McBa1n wrote:
Odin wrote:
Heh, no need to be a shitbird about it, sir.
It made sense in my brain when I wrote it... Pardon me if my English is inelegant at times. I shall edit it -- for clarity.
It was an incorrect word and probably deserved the laughs and snark it received. Well done, sirs. Well done. Thank you for your understanding. I will try to edit myself better in the future.

No need to be rude. Mistakes do happen to some of us more than others (me being the former).
Mistakes are one thing. Save the name-calling for the playground.

I wasn't actually aware you had made a mistake. I was being sarcastic because I, like several others who responded to your post, believed you were being genuine, and that you actually didn't like the other Marvel movies. It just turns out that the way I expressed that sarcasm turned out to be more accurate than I realized.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Oh, I'm sorry, McBain. I also thought you were being serious.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Odin wrote:Mistakes are one thing. Save the name-calling for the playground.
You say this after that snarky little "is doesn't mean isn't" comment? You deserved it.

Now, on to the movie. Thought it was very good, though most of my enjoyment came after the movie when I was walking out to the car. An old couple, had to be at least in their mid 70's if not 80's, came out and the woman very loudly said to her husband, "there were too many bombs and explosions, not enough story!"

I thought the Falcon was a little weird, with how dedicated and loyal he was to Captain America. It's just some guy he met while running (very fun scene), and all of a sudden he's dedicating his life to helping him out?

I was a little surprised by how much Black Widow there was. This movie could have been called Captain America & Black Widow. She got nearly as much screen time as he did.

Edit - Also, I'm usually good about trying to not allow typecasting in my brain, but that was Abed, dammit.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

cheeba wrote:I thought the Falcon was a little weird, with how dedicated and loyal he was to Captain America. It's just some guy he met while running (very fun scene), and all of a sudden he's dedicating his life to helping him out?
It wasn't "some guy", it was Captain America. The Falcon recognized him and knew who he was, and when a super hero who saved the world from an alien invasion asks for your help I think you help him out.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

msteelers wrote:
cheeba wrote:I thought the Falcon was a little weird, with how dedicated and loyal he was to Captain America. It's just some guy he met while running (very fun scene), and all of a sudden he's dedicating his life to helping him out?
It wasn't "some guy", it was Captain America. The Falcon recognized him and knew who he was, and when a super hero who saved the world from an alien invasion asks for your help I think you help him out.
That, and it was a way back in. He wasn't really comfortable being a civilian.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

When Captain America backs a cause, it carries some weight. That was why The Falcon was eager to follow him. He has a pretty solid reputation of being a good guy and doing what is right, not to mention he saved the world from an alien invasion. That's why so many SHIELD employees took action and fought with him just because HE said it was the right thing to do.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Yeah that kinda makes him a groupie.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I was a little surprised by how much Black Widow there was. This movie could have been called Captain America & Black Widow. She got nearly as much screen time as he did.

Marvel has been toying with the idea of a full on Black Widow movie. This may have been, partially, their way of market testing the viability of the character carrying a movie. If it was, I think the test was successful. Also, she was an excellent contrast for Cap, with her much looser and darker moral code. It made for an interesting team dynamic.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

A groupie with a very specific skill set.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

You're in the military and the most famous, legendary soldier in the world asks for help. Yeah, he's a groupie, but that seems in character
DD*

Post by DD* »

And that is really Cap's superpower - inspiration and leadership! Call me a groupie if you will, but if Captain America calls, by God I'll answer! Image
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

See, if he and Black Widow came to my house, I'd let 'em stay the night. But if in the morning he says, "hey, wanna come blow up a couple helicarriers?" I'd say, "You know all those guys that helped you in New York? Let me call one of them for you."
Odin

Post by Odin »

cheeba wrote:See, if he and Black Widow came to my house, I'd let 'em stay the night. But if in the morning he says, "hey, wanna come blow up a couple helicarriers?" I'd say, "You know all those guys that helped you in New York? Let me call one of them for you."
That's (one of the reasons) why you're not The Falcon.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

cheeba wrote:See, if he and Black Widow came to my house, I'd let 'em stay the night. But if in the morning he says, "hey, wanna come blow up a couple helicarriers?" I'd say, "You know all those guys that helped you in New York? Let me call one of them for you."
You keep on believing that, but once Cap calls on you, you'll be strapping on wings and dodging missiles for Truth, Honor and the American way! :wink:
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

rshetts2 wrote:

Marvel has been toying with the idea of a full on Black Widow movie. This may have been, partially, their way of market testing the viability of the character carrying a movie. If it was, I think the test was successful. Also, she was an excellent contrast for Cap, with her much looser and darker moral code. It made for an interesting team dynamic.
I thought they were a great team, and it was interesting to see them bond over course of the film:

Do you trust me?
I do now.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Two caveats:
- I know absolutely nothing about Captain America other than what was shown in Avengers. Didn't see the first Cap film.
- I typically don't care much for superhero movies.

Saw Cap 2 this afternoon and much to my great surprise, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Fantastic fight and action sequences, a well-written characters, and some very cool twists and turns in the plot. I came in expecting to roll my eyes like I typically do at these sort of films, but came away with a new favorite comic book/superhero movie. Didn't see that coming at all.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Skinypupy

Re: Captain America - The Winter Soldier

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote:
Sudy Nym wrote:
Spoiler:
Was anyone really surprised Bucky Banner was The Ghost Whisperer? I don't know the comics lore but thought it was very obvious. Though perhaps I read a spoiler over the past several months and just forgot.
Spoiler:
There were audible gasps at the screening I went to when the big reveal happened.
I was pretty surprised. Probably should have seen it coming in retrospect, but it was a cool "woah" moment.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

noxiousdog wrote:
msteelers wrote:
That, and it was a way back in. He wasn't really comfortable being a civilian.
After flying in those wings, who would be? I want some...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Grifman wrote:
Hyena wrote:Knowing Whedon, it was planned from the FIRST Ironman movie, back when Shandling's character was just a name on paper.
Except that Whedon had nothing to do with the first Ironman movie. He didn't come along until the Avengers :)
Ok, perhaps a *bit* of hyperbole from me, but it wouldn't surprise me. :mrgreen:

Plus, Shandling's character was in Ironman 2. Was Whedon on board when that one came out? Don't remember.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Odin wrote:
That's (one of the reasons) why you're not The Falcon.
This was a great response. :D
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I watched the first Cap movie on the flight today and came away entirely unimpressed. Glad I didn't bother with it earlier, as I probably would have skipped the sequel.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Yeah the first Cap was average at best.
MHS

Post by MHS »

The first Captain America was really true to the whole "Truth, Justice and the American Way" idealism and innocence of the 40's. The Cap was more cynical and a lot more bad-ass this time around, which made for a better movie for most of us.
Last edited by MHS on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
DD*

Post by DD* »

MHS wrote:The first Captain America was really true to the whole "Truth, Justice and the American Way" idealism and innocence of the 50's. The Cap was more cynical and a lot more bad-ass this time around, which made for a better movie for most of us.
Or even the 40's ;)

Personally, I thought the first Cap movie was just about perfect. It was a WWII war movie and I found it very true to the background of Steve Rogers/Captain America - not necessarily plot, but the fiber of the character. And I think Evans owns the part almost as well as Downey owns Tony Stark/Iron Man.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I too enjoyed the first one but then I like period pieces and the 40's setting was fun. That being said I thought the second Capt. America movie was overall a much better movie especially plot wise. With all of the leanings towards the morally conflicted superhero ( in part due to Nolans success with Batman ), its nice to see a straight forward guy with a solid moral compass. Heck they even took that away from Superman in the last DC movie. Marvel showed us you can make a good movie with dark subject matter without making the hero a hot mess.
Odin

Post by Odin »

My only gripe with the first Captain America was that I thought it spent too long on the origin story and not long enough on his WWII exploits (which were largely covered in a montage). It won't seem as bad once I've got three (or more) Captain America movies sitting in my house on Blu-ray, but when that's all I've got to watch, I really want more action and less fonduing.
MHS

Post by MHS »

DD* wrote:
MHS wrote:The first Captain America was really true to the whole "Truth, Justice and the American Way" idealism and innocence of the 50's. The Cap was more cynical and a lot more bad-ass this time around, which made for a better movie for most of us.
Or even the 40's ;)

Personally, I thought the first Cap movie was just about perfect. It was a WWII war movie and I found it very true to the background of Steve Rogers/Captain America - not necessarily plot, but the fiber of the character. And I think Evans owns the part almost as well as Downey owns Tony Stark/Iron Man.
I'm aware of when WWII occurred. :P However, I was thinking the Captain America comic books didn't come out until the 50's, but the first one was in 1941, so I stand corrected.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
DD*

Post by DD* »

I thought that was a rather unusual error on your part ;)

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I just watched this again on blu-ray and man, I had forgotten how well-choreographed the hand-to-hand combat is. Definitely the best fights ever to appear in a Marvel movie.

I also found Anthony Mackie's performance really strong -- just very natural and confident. He didn't register as much when I saw this in the theater, probably because his character is so low-key compared to everyone else.
DD*

Post by DD* »

I agree, the fight scenes are very well done and you get a real sense of just what a serious badass Cap truly is.

Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Just saw this the other night and while I will agree that it was a quality production, I didn't care for it. It had the same problem I have with most modern action movies: Too Much Action! It's just fight, fight, fight, shoot, crash, explode, etc. etc. etc. Not enough tension, buildup, and suspense for me. And while the humor was awesome, there wasn't nearly enough. I certainly hope that Marvel doesn't try to follow DC down the "Our heroes are grim, humorless and determined" route. That worked for three Batman movies, but I don't want that to become the new norm for superhero flicks.

I will give Marvel a lot of credit for one thing, though. After watching the two Captain America movies I have actually become a fan of...*gasp*...Captain America! He always seemed like a do-gooder pain in the ass in the comics, and he was easily my least favorite Marvel superhero. But now I've really come to like and respect the dude, something I didn't think was possible...
disarm

Post by disarm »

Apollo wrote:Not enough tension, buildup, and suspense for me. And while the humor was awesome, there wasn't nearly enough. I certainly hope that Marvel doesn't try to follow DC down the "Our heroes are grim, humorless and determined" route. That worked for three Batman movies, but I don't want that to become the new norm for superhero flicks.
I think if you see Guardians of the Galaxy, you will agree that Marvel isn't at risk of making everything grim and humorless...
hitbyambulance

Re: Captain America-The Winter Soidier (spoilerific spoilers!!!)

Post by hitbyambulance »

i admit to watching these MCU movies out of order, so Nick Fury's "Last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye." line struck me as ... well, a future director didn't play along with that backstory.
msteelers

Re: Captain America-The Winter Soidier (spoilerific spoilers!!!)

Post by msteelers »

What happened in Captain Marvel made me like that line from Winter Soldier even more.