Captain America-The Winter Soidier (spoilerific spoilers!!!)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Captain America - The Winter Soldier

Post by Daehawk »

Love how she is posing in that poster.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

Rumpy wrote:I guess now would be a good time to see the first one.
Many Regal Cinemas are doing a double feature on either Thursday or Friday with the first followed by the second. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
DarkVulgar

Post by DarkVulgar »

Rumpy wrote:I guess now would be a good time to see the first one.
Yes it would.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just watched it. No, I haven't seen the first one. I did see Avengers.

It's... good, appropriately on topic given the state of NSA surveillance, order vs. chaos, etc. And how "sunshine" seem to be the only way to prevent such things from ever happening. But where does one draw the line between security and freedom?

Fight choreography is great, as everybody has their own fighting style. Balroc has that capoira style kicking, and Winter Soldier is power punch and close-in blade, while Black Widow is spinning kicks and flying takedowns. But they seem to have adopted Paul Greengrass (Bourne series) type of jerky camera.

They introduced "Falcon" pretty nicely. And it's a good tie-in with the original movie, lots of back references.

I watched it in IMAX 3D, and the 3D is good but not overwhelming.

All in all, I think I can give this like 8 out of 10. It scratched all the right places, and there are no major screwups.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
DD*

Post by DD* »

Tickets purchased for 10:00 am tomorrow! Woohoo!
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

To celebrate our anniversary this weekend, the wife and I are going out for huge steaks, tons of bourbon, and Captain America on the big screen.

To quote the inimitable Trey Parker, America -- fuck yeah.
DarkVulgar

Post by DarkVulgar »

Look for the "Pulp Fiction" reference at the end of the movie. LOL
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Heads up, there are two scenes during the credits so hang around for both!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

There were some very nice shout outs to long time Marvel fans in the movie.

And this makes me wonder about the direction for Agents of SHIELD...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I wish I could go and see it this weekend but I am on call all weekend. Could you spoil what you mean about the direction of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Big spoiler about the end of the movie in there! Go in at your own peril!
Spoiler:
The movie ended with basically the dismantling of SHIELD.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I kinda figured something like that was going to happen
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Grifman wrote:Heads up, there are two scenes during the credits so hang around for both!
Spoiler:
Is that Loki's scepter?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
DarkVulgar

Post by DarkVulgar »

Kasey Chang wrote:
Grifman wrote:Heads up, there are two scenes during the credits so hang around for both!
Spoiler:
Is that Loki's scepter?
Yes
disarm

Post by disarm »

Went to see The Winter Soldier this afternoon on IMAX 3D...awesome movie that is easily one of the top Marvel films so far, right up there with Ironman and The Avengers. I think the coolest thing is that it really raises a lot of questions about what will happen in future Marvel films, and should even have a major impact on the Agents of SHIELD tv show. I love the way that Marvel is tying all their stories together...great stuff!
DD*

Post by DD* »

What he said! Plus....
Spoiler:
the twins!?!?! Batroc the Leaper!! Oh my stars and garters!
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Odin

Post by Odin »

Just got home. FAN-TASTIC! Really, really good. Definitely up at the top of my list, on par with Iron Man 1 and The Avengers. I'm dying to get my hands on the Blu-Ray and watch it a bunch more times.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I am out of the loop on the comics so I am wondering
Spoiler:
Who will Strike team commander turn into after the building collapsed on him?
Excellent movie. Although I have to wonder where Iron Man or the Fantastic Four were during certain events. Some X-Men action would have been sweet too. I guess they were probably busy filming their own sequels.
Spoiler:
Because you'd think Fury would send out the call to Reed and Tony long before the override was used. That time being when they left the "cave" that they were in.
There is no hug button. Sad!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

You won't see Spiderman or Fantastic Four or the X-men characters in movies made by Marvel Studios as they don't own the rights to them
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

IceBear wrote:You won't see Spiderman or Fantastic Four or the X-men characters in movies made by Marvel Studios as they don't own the rights to them
True Believers care not for your Hollywood arglebargle foofaraw.
There is no hug button. Sad!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Just saying :-)

I hate being on call this weekend as I can't go to see this movie :-(
DarkVulgar

Post by DarkVulgar »

killbot737 wrote:I am out of the loop on the comics so I am wondering
Spoiler:
Excellent movie. Although I have to wonder where Iron Man or the Fantastic Four were during certain events. Some X-Men action would have been sweet too. I guess they were probably busy filming their own sequels.
Spoiler:
Because you'd think Fury would send out the call to Reed and Tony long before the override was used. That time being when they left the "cave" that they were in.
Spoiler:
Strike team commander Rumlow becomes Crossbones. In the comics he is a Red Skull henchman and the Red Skulls daughter(Sin) boyfriend.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Crossbones
Spoiler:
Nope, but somebody else... Remember that Jasper said on the roof...
Spoiler:
Jonathan Strange... i.e. Dr. Strange
DarkVulgar

Post by DarkVulgar »

So did anyone else catch the Pulp Fiction reference? For those that missed it....
Spoiler:
On Fury's headstone it said "The path of the righteous man....Ezekiel 25:17
Odin

Post by Odin »

killbot737 wrote:Excellent movie. Although I have to wonder where Iron Man or the Fantastic Four were during certain events. Some X-Men action would have been sweet too. I guess they were probably busy filming their own sequels.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Even leaving out the characters that Marvel isn't licensed for, I'd agree that it seems like a call to Tony Stark, at minimum, would have been in order (and we know he was in town, since he showed up on the list of targets). A warning to Coulson and Barton would have been polite, but of course there wouldn't have been time to call everybody in Fury's contacts, even assuming he knew who to trust. But Stark, the son of one of the founders of SHIELD and someone with pretty unimpeachable credentials could actually have flown over and helped.

Assuming, of course, that his surgical alterations and the destruction of his armors at the end of IM3 still allow him to be Iron Man, which I suppose we don't know for sure. So I can let this slide until more details come in, but if we find out in the next Avengers that Tony would have been mission-capable at that time, then shame on Fury/Marvel for not calling him.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Kasey Chang wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Crossbones
Spoiler:
Nope, but somebody else... Remember that Jasper said on the roof...
Spoiler:
Jonathan Strange... i.e. Dr. Strange
Spoiler:
It's Stephen Strange. But that's just me, being a comic book geek.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Thanks for the correction.
AjD

Post by AjD »

Forum effect starting up here... might take the son tomorrow now.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Taking my kids to see it now. So second time for me. :)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Going this afternoon to see it. I feel almost too excited for this. The reviews have been overwhelming.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, any time I go to the movies feeling this enthusiastic it ends up disappointing just because I built it up too much in my head...going to have to try to calm down :)
Odin

Post by Odin »

I've run into that a few times. Fortunately in this case it proved to be a non-issue.

Funny story - I never know how full a showing is likely to be, and I've arrived a few times only to stand in a long line and get shitty seats, so now I tend to arrive quite early to make sure I'm first in line. I did so yesterday for Captain America.

There was no official "line" per se - for some reason the cineplex management didn't bother, so a few of us earlybirds were just kind of loitering around the door to the house where the previous showing was finishing up. One of the other earlybirds and I had struck up a conversation, and he speculated that the prior showing must be almost over. Just at that point, a father and his very young daughter came walking out to go to the bathroom. He heard us, and commented, "Whew, it's a long one all right. Starts off really slow for the first half, but it wasn't bad by the end. It's almost over."

:shock: <- That's the face I made to the other guy with whom I'd been talking. It was literally the first negative thing I'd heard anybody say or write about the film. I still don't know what his deal was - there was nothing "slow" about ANY part of Winter Soldier. I think that guy just didn't like movies and wanted to be home drinking a beer and watching sports of some kind. Pansy.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Saw the 1030am IMAX 3D version today. Liked this one alot better than the first Cap. More action, I get the first one had to set everything up. There really was not much in the way of value-added on 3D effects, and wearing the 3D glasses didn't bother in
my enjoyment of the movie.

Two things about the plot I started thinking about on the drive home.
Spoiler:
The Shield/Hydra plan to use the 3 helicarriers to wipe out a couple million Americans, thus bringing into effect the New World Order, and Americans giving up their freedoms for security - Was no one left alive ever going to find out the firepower that killed millions of people originated from the helicarriers belonging to Shield?

Am I to believe that there wasn't anyone that were serving as crew and support on the Helicarriers that were against the plan, and they didn't openly revolt against Shield/Hydra because they didn't want to be killed. So they just kept their mouth shut, did what was asked, and thus they stayed alive.
I'm not normally a big nitpicker when it comes to these kind of Marvel/DC superhero movies. I try and suspend my disbelief as much as possible for maximum enjoyment, but these 2 issues got in my brain and bugged me on my drive home.
Odin

Post by Odin »

JSHAW wrote:Saw the 1030am IMAX 3D version today. Liked this one alot better than the first Cap. More action, I get the first one had to set everything up. There really was not much in the way of value-added on 3D effects, and wearing the 3D glasses didn't bother in
my enjoyment of the movie.

Two things about the plot I started thinking about on the drive home.
Spoiler:
The Shield/Hydra plan to use the 3 helicarriers to wipe out a couple million Americans, thus bringing into effect the New World Order, and Americans giving up their freedoms for security - Was no one left alive ever going to find out the firepower that killed millions of people originated from the helicarriers belonging to Shield?
Spoiler:
Well, they were being pretty thorough. I think the idea was that the 20 million included anyone who was or could be a threat to them around the world, including presumably anybody who was likely to rise up and lead an organized resistance against them after it was discovered that they had just murdered President Ellis and anybody else of any real importance. Presumably, those helicarriers would have left NYC and the East Coast pretty quickly and continued mopping up around the world, using cloaking technology and massive firepower to wipe out any opposition. It's a bit of a stretch, I suppose, but not beyond the realm of suspension of disbelief for the Marvel cinematic universe.
Spoiler:
Am I to believe that there wasn't anyone that were serving as crew and support on the Helicarriers that were against the plan, and they didn't openly revolt against Shield/Hydra because they didn't want to be killed. So they just kept their mouth shut, did what was asked, and thus they stayed alive.
Spoiler:
I think we were supposed to gather from Cap's announcement over the PA system that the assumption was being made that Hydra would have fully staffed the helicarriers with its own people. Which makes sense, since they couldn't very well have tolerated an uprising once their plan was put in motion.
If you're going to nitpick something...
Spoiler:
how about the fact that the datacenter for the entire helicarrier was not only sticking out the bottom, but was actually made of glass for maximum vulnerability?

I actually turned and muttered about it to my wife. :D
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Odin,
That's a great nitpick, one that did cross my mind on the drive home.
Spoiler:
Thinking about Fury's SUV attack and the windows not breaking immediately it made me think about
the glass on the undercarriage of the carrier. Surely 21st century tech has advanced enough to use bullet-proof
break resistant materials on a glass-like dome on a helicarrier? Must have been a govt. contractor looking to cut corners. :lol:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Odin wrote:
killbot737 wrote:Excellent movie. Although I have to wonder where Iron Man or the Fantastic Four were during certain events. Some X-Men action would have been sweet too. I guess they were probably busy filming their own sequels.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Even leaving out the characters that Marvel isn't licensed for, I'd agree that it seems like a call to Tony Stark, at minimum, would have been in order (and we know he was in town, since he showed up on the list of targets). A warning to Coulson and Barton would have been polite, but of course there wouldn't have been time to call everybody in Fury's contacts, even assuming he knew who to trust. But Stark, the son of one of the founders of SHIELD and someone with pretty unimpeachable credentials could actually have flown over and helped.

Assuming, of course, that his surgical alterations and the destruction of his armors at the end of IM3 still allow him to be Iron Man, which I suppose we don't know for sure. So I can let this slide until more details come in, but if we find out in the next Avengers that Tony would have been mission-capable at that time, then shame on Fury/Marvel for not calling him.
To correct Odin's spoiler comment:
Spoiler:
Tony Stark was shown to be in NYC, not DC. He wasn't as nearby as he thought.
Hodor.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

JSHAW wrote:Odin,
That's a great nitpick, one that did cross my mind on the drive home.
Spoiler:
Thinking about Fury's SUV attack and the windows not breaking immediately it made me think about
the glass on the undercarriage of the carrier. Surely 21st century tech has advanced enough to use bullet-proof
break resistant materials on a glass-like dome on a helicarrier? Must have been a govt. contractor looking to cut corners. :lol:
Maybe not missile proof.

Sent courtesy of the Galaxy.... note2.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Spoiler:
Yeah, that's what I figured. His SUV's glass wasn't unbreakable, just impervious to small-arms fire. Presumably those missiles and artillery were firing WAY more powerful stuff. But still, combine "Let's have it stick out in the most vulnerable, easy-to-hit-from-the-ground area" with "oh, and let's make it out of something transparent for maximum breakability and so they know damn well what to shoot at" and it sure adds up to something that looks rather silly when you think about it. I mean, was there even remotely any apparent value to giving the CPU a nice view OR to having it dangle from the bottom of the vessel? Much less both?

I mean, it's a movie and I get that, so I'm not inclined to be too critical, but it struck me right away as a WTF? level design flaw. :D
Combustible Lemur

Odin wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, that's what I figured. His SUV's glass wasn't unbreakable, just impervious to small-arms fire. Presumably those missiles and artillery were firing WAY more powerful stuff. But still, combine "Let's have it stick out in the most vulnerable, easy-to-hit-from-the-ground area" with "oh, and let's make it out of something transparent for maximum breakability and so they know damn well what to shoot at" and it sure adds up to something that looks rather silly when you think about it. I mean, was there even remotely any apparent value to giving the CPU a nice view OR to having it dangle from the bottom of the vessel? Much less both?

I mean, it's a movie and I get that, so I'm not inclined to be too critical, but it struck me right away as a WTF? level design flaw. :D
Spoiler:
I had the same thought, the best I came up with is the data center needed to be close to the surveillance array that was also linked to the satellite. I dunno, a capsicle basically overthrew the not so phantom Cia with the help. Of a guy in a jet pack. Incredulity stretched but not broken.
Combustible Lemur

IceBear wrote:Yeah, any time I go to the movies feeling this enthusiastic it ends up disappointing just because I built it up too much in my head...going to have to try to calm down :)
If you fret you'll see all the silliness if you relax this is one of the if not the best marvel movie yet. It lacks a little of the newness the others benefited from, but story and construction wise, delicioso!

Sent courtesy of the Galaxy.... note2.