Captain America-The Winter Soidier (spoilerific spoilers!!!)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Odin

Re: Captain America - The Winter Soldier

Post by Odin »

Combustible Lemur wrote:
Odin wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, that's what I figured. His SUV's glass wasn't unbreakable, just impervious to small-arms fire. Presumably those missiles and artillery were firing WAY more powerful stuff. But still, combine "Let's have it stick out in the most vulnerable, easy-to-hit-from-the-ground area" with "oh, and let's make it out of something transparent for maximum breakability and so they know damn well what to shoot at" and it sure adds up to something that looks rather silly when you think about it. I mean, was there even remotely any apparent value to giving the CPU a nice view OR to having it dangle from the bottom of the vessel? Much less both?

I mean, it's a movie and I get that, so I'm not inclined to be too critical, but it struck me right away as a WTF? level design flaw. :D
Spoiler:
I had the same thought, the best I came up with is the data center needed to be close to the surveillance array that was also linked to the satellite. I dunno, a capsicle basically overthrew the not so phantom Cia with the help. Of a guy in a jet pack. Incredulity stretched but not broken.
Spoiler:
You know, that's a good point I hadn't considered (and I don't think they really mentioned) - that it was part of a communications array between the three ships and the satellite. Still, you'd think then that it would make sense to put it on TOP of the carriers? Or maybe we were supposed to gather that it was a targeting array for identifying Insight's targets, which I suppose makes sense and is probably what they had in mind, but they forgot to spell it out. Yeah, I'm going to go with that explanation, because it's the least stupid. :D
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Very fun movie, jam-packed with comic book references. I can't believe
Spoiler:
I got to hear Robert Redford say "Hail Hydra."
Odin

Post by Odin »

Haha, yeah, that's awesome.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So with the credit scene:
Spoiler:
We're working in Magento's kids, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch? I guess they're not tied in with the X-Men license at Fox, but they won't be referred to as mutants or tied to Magneto at all. And Fox is going to do everything in their power to keep the X-Men rights with them.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Isgrimnur wrote:So with the credit scene:
Spoiler:
We're working in Magento's kids, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch? I guess they're not tied in with the X-Men license at Fox, but they won't be referred to as mutants or tied to Magneto at all. And Fox is going to do everything in their power to keep the X-Men rights with them.
Spoiler:
My guess is since they were Avengers and not x-men, they are considered part of that group.
Edit: apparently the answer is "both"
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Odin

Post by Odin »

Spoiler:
Yeah, those characters have ties to both franchises, so I figure either they weren't spelled out in the license as being explicitly an X-Men property, or they were spelled out as being available to both franchises. Though that really seems like some very prescient planning on somebody's part. Maybe Marvel went back and re-negotiated for them or something? I dunno.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
Looking at character pages, it doesn't appear that they've been in any previous films. I find it hard to believe that Marvel's contract is worded in such a way that Fox could still have a crack at them after Age of Ultron comes out. But you never know with these kind of things. Not exactly like Fox has ever hinted at Magneto having kids afai can remember.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Spoiler:
Fox will get Quicksilver to the big screen before Marvel does, in this year's X-Men: Days of Future Past Ultra Crossover Double Jackman Retcon. (I may have gotten the movie's name wrong, but it will definitely include Quicksilver.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The way forward for Marvel: (I make no warranty as to whether there might or might not be spoilers there):
There’s a map of films reaching far into the next decade on the wall of [Kevin] Feige’s office [president of Marvel Studios]. “It’s like looking through the Hubble telescope. You go, ‘What’s happening back there? I can sort of see it,’ ” he laughs. “They printed out a new one recently that went to 2028.”
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Why the need to spoiler info that hasn't even been made into a movie, hasn't even made it to screenplay & script form?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jag wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:So with the credit scene:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
My guess is since they were Avengers and not x-men, they are considered part of that group.
Edit: apparently the answer is "both"
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
I love how Universal just has Namor the Sub-Mariner. They must have picked that out of the bargain bin at Marvel.
Black Lives Matter.
DD*

Post by DD* »

This gives me hope that eventually we could see a good Ghost Rider movie, once I finishing bleaching the Nicholas Cage versions from my brain....
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

DD* wrote:This gives me hope that eventually we could see a good Ghost Rider movie, once I finishing bleaching the Nicholas Cage versions from my brain....
It's funny how when Marvel get's something wrong or it just plain flops at the boxoffice they attempt to do a reboot.
Example - The Punisher
Example - The Fantastic Four

3 movies and 3 different actor's playing The Punisher. I have the Warzone movie on dvd and have never watched it.
Damn I have a dvd/bluray backlog problem. :grund:
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I loved Warzone just because it had Pulo from Rome using a rocket launcher on a punk using parkour to run away.

But, yeah, it's bad
stessier

Post by stessier »

I just got back from seeing this. I loved it.

One question about the ending.
Spoiler:
Who was the burned guy they put on the stretcher at the end when they were flipping through a bunch of characters quickly. Was that the Strike Team leader? I didn't recognize him and it went fast.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I believe so.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Well that can't be good for our hero. :lol:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Everyone in this universe has a story.
Spoiler:
The pirate on the boat is Batroc the Leaper.

Apparently, the STRIKE leader is named Brock Rumlow.
Now I know how people that just watch GoT feel around book readers. The people that know the comics get so much more out of something as simple as a character name.
Jag

Post by Jag »

IceBear wrote:I loved Warzone just because it had Pulo from Rome using a rocket launcher on a punk using parkour to run away.

But, yeah, it's bad
I keep seeing actors from Rome all over the place. My wife was watching Grey's Anatomy and I walked in and said "that's Vorenus!" :D
Odin

Post by Odin »

For those who didn't recognize him or just didn't know, Batroc he Leaper was played by retired UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St-Pierre. Which I thought was fairly cool because I like Georges St-Pierre. It was a pretty decent fight-scene, too.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

IceBear wrote:You won't see Spiderman or Fantastic Four or the X-men characters in movies made by Marvel Studios as they don't own the rights to them
So, when a studio buys the movie rights to characters, do they have them forever or do they evetually expire?
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It all depends on the contracts. By all reports, Fox and Sony signed deals where they get to keep the rights as long as they keep cranking out films. Whether there's a drop dead date to that clause, I've never heard.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I think it was a little short-sighted of Marvel to place no end on Spidey, but then again, I don't think anyone ever expected a comic book company to actually start making movies, either.

The only way I think Spider-Man will ever return to Marvel Studios is if Sony got into some serious financial trouble and wanted to sell him back.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Jag

Post by Jag »

Buatha wrote:I think it was a little short-sighted of Marvel to place no end on Spidey, but then again, I don't think anyone ever expected a comic book company to actually start making movies, either.

The only way I think Spider-Man will ever return to Marvel Studios is if Sony got into some serious financial trouble and wanted to sell him back.
I think Marvel had gone bankrupt around that time. They really had to reinvent themselves.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Yeah, we can't blame Marvel. They were in a really rough spot back then, and needed money. They weren't into making movies and they never would be (as far as anyone knew). Besides, who knows if they'd even have the capacity to capitalize on those other franchises even if they owned them. I think I'd like to see them get those rights back so the Marvel cinematic universe could really reflect the Marvel universe, but then again, I'm thrilled with the movies we're getting from Marvel and SONY.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Isgrimnur wrote:By all reports, Fox and Sony signed deals where they get to keep the rights as long as they keep cranking out films.
Clauses like that sometimes lead to movies like this:

Wikipedia wrote:With the option scheduled to expire on December 31, 1992, [production company] Neue Constantin asked Marvel for an extension. With none forthcoming, Eichinger planned to retain his option by producing a low-budget Fantastic Four film, reasoning, he said in 2005, "They didn't say I had to make a big movie."
Rip

Post by Rip »

Going Wednesday with my stepfather.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Very good sophomore outing for Cap. IMO, probably the best Marvel movie outside of the original Ironman and the Avengers. It will be interesting where they take things now after this as the happenings here will rock the entire Marvel universe. Evans was great as Cap, and I really like Johanson's Black Widow, after seeing this, I think she could carry a movie of her own. I like the team aspect a lot with those two and Falcon. Very good job.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I enjoyed it less than I was hoping to. It was good, but the emphasis on frenetic action kept causing me to disengage. I have this problem with most Marvel films. There's decent character development but too little grounded drama. Contrast this with Nolan's Batman films, specifically The Dark Knight.

(Not that those were perfect either; the action in particular used too many closeups and shaky cam for my liking there, too. While it has a very visceral effect, it detracts from the choreography. Too often I just don't know what's going on; I'm prevented from savouring the action the way I can in, say, the Donnie Yen Ip Man films.)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

I can't wait for the Blu Ray to come out so I can see some of the names of the Insight targets.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
Odin

Post by Odin »

Sectoid wrote:I can't wait for the Blu Ray to come out so I can see some of the names of the Insight targets.
Yeah, same here. Though I'm hoping/expecting to see them somewhere online long before that point. With fanboys bigger than me to explain who they all are, so I don't have to do the research, ha ha!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

FYI, I read Sebastian Stan signed
Spoiler:
a NINE picture deal
with Marvel when he signed on for the original Captain America. Umm, yeah.
Spoiler:
That should tell you where the story's headed.
Hodor.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Spoiler:
Was anyone really surprised Bucky Banner was The Ghost Whisperer? I don't know the comics lore but thought it was very obvious. Though perhaps I read a spoiler over the past several months and just forgot.
Potential spoiler for future films:
Spoiler:
Of course after seeing the film, I made the very stupid mistake of learning who kills Kenny Rogers in the comics. So I guess I blew the shocker from Captain America 3 for myself, too.
Last edited by Sudy on Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Sudy Nym wrote:
Spoiler:
Was anyone really surprised Bucky Banner was The Ghost Whisperer? I don't know the comics lore but thought it was very obvious. Though perhaps I read a spoiler over the past several months and just forgot.
Spoiler:
There were audible gasps at the screening I went to when the big reveal happened.
Hodor.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

pr0ner wrote:
Sudy Nym wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
There were audible gasps at the screening I went to when the big reveal happened.
Spoiler:
I'm impressed and bewildered, then. I figured all the comics geeks would already know, and the rest probably wouldn't remember the first film.

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Just saw this. We sat through the first bit o' extra in the credits but didn't realize there was a second one... can someone spoiler it up here, please?
-mf
Odin

Post by Odin »

MonkeyFinger wrote:Just saw this. We sat through the first bit o' extra in the credits but didn't realize there was a second one... can someone spoiler it up here, please?
Spoiler:
Bucky Barnes, wearing street clothes, visits the Captain America display at the Smithsonian and learns all about his former self.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Odin wrote:
MonkeyFinger wrote:Just saw this. We sat through the first bit o' extra in the credits but didn't realize there was a second one... can someone spoiler it up here, please?
Spoiler:
Bucky Barnes, wearing street clothes, visits the Captain America display at the Smithsonian and learns all about his former self.
Thanks.

8-)
-mf
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

pr0ner wrote:
Sudy Nym wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I saw the movie and I have no idea what you all are talking about. Can someone explain. I didn't see anything that was a big reveal.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Spoiler:
Unless you're being humorous, Bucky Barnes was revealed to be The Winter Solider. As mentioned, I wasn't surprised in the least, but admittedly I imagine I heard a spoiler at some point in months past. I'd think I would have found it pretty heavily telegraphed regardless.