I don't <gasp> like pizza!
1%
Gangnam
9%

Total votes: 76

Brian

Re: [Pizza Wars 2013] Chicago style vs New York style

Post by Brian »

Godfather's is still around. At least in Omaha as that's where they are based.

I remember when they used to be awesome but now they are gawd awful.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
mori

Post by mori »

We have Godfathers in MN. I have not eaten at one in 20 years however. Do not remember them as being especially good or bad but just one of many in the rotation.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

ImLawBoy wrote:
JSHAW wrote:Image
Waaay too much bread in those crusts.
Those look kind of disgusting.
ImLawBoy wrote:
JSHAW wrote:Image
This looks about right.
You know that's the real deal because of the tablecloth.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Since we're on the subject, saw this on Gizmodo today.

http://gizmodo.com/how-much-pizza-costs ... 1533717170

There's also another article on that same page about a guy that's only ate Cheese Pizza for the last 25 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tonight's dinner was here. While I don't have the most trained ear, I do believe one of the waitresses was from Chicago, or a really good mimic.

We each had two slices, 1/4 of the pie. 1/2 pepperoni/italian sausage, full green pepper and breakfast bacon, which was full strips. The sauce was very flavorful. There was no firmness to the bottom crust, but the edge crust was nicely crisp. We both enjoyed it. No telling how close to authentic it actually is, but we certainly didn't get JSHAWed. :D
It's almost as if people are the problem.
mori

Post by mori »

What is breakfast bacon?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bacon, but without the usual Canadian descriptor that dominates the pizza space. If you look at the piece that's been removed, you can see it looped under the edge near the crust
Rip

Post by Rip »

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/09/ ... =obnetwork

Not a single Chicago pizza listed. I guess that settles that.

:ninja:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Conservative bias. :P
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zarathud wrote:Conservative bias. :P
Absolutely. Chicago-style pizza LIBERALLY applies toppings, much to their disgust.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pissing off both Chicago and New York:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/america ... tyle-pizza

We're number 2! We're number 2!

Suck it, RM9!
malchior

Post by malchior »

This poll is 100% alternate facts. New York #6 behind Phoenix and Detroit? I'm going to guess the readers of T&L are not the demographic that anyone who cares about good pizza gives a damn about. :)
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LordMortis wrote:Pissing off both Chicago and New York:

Suck it, RM9!
I never had Buddy's but it sure looks like Jet's to me. Are they similar? HAVE I HAD DETROIT-STYLE PIZZA AND NOT KNOWN IT?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Z-Corn wrote:
I never had Buddy's but it sure looks like Jet's to me. Are they similar? HAVE I HAD DETROIT-STYLE PIZZA AND NOT KNOWN IT?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote:

Suck it, RM9!
Sort of similar. They are both Detroit style but Buddy's way more greasy. You can taste the difference but the difference is preference, except the crust. The greasy crust definitely goes to Buddy's.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

http://www.freep.com/story/life/food/20 ... 641891001/
Pizza-loving Detroit took the No. 1. spot in SmartAsset’s 2017 edition of Best Cities for Pizza Lovers.

SmartAsset analyzed data from 150 of the largest cities in the U.S. based on these metrics: total number of pizza places; the number of pizza places per 10,000 residents; average Yelp rating along with the percent of pizza places averaging a rating above 4.4; and the cost of living.

Detroit was also cited for its Detroit-style pizza – a square, deep dish and with crispy crust.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Suck it, RM9!
That is literally the worst list I've ever seen on the internet. The notion that New Haven, CT didn't even make the list?! That's absolutely absurd.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Skipping New Haven discredits the entire list, its author, its publisher, the website, the hosting provider, the content distribution network, and Carl Icahn. New Haven apizza's abest!
Rip

Post by Rip »

Probably don't want to ask these people.

New York Pizza Festival Seriously Disappoints
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

In that list, the Virginia one looked good to me and the Knoxville one looked sad. Wisconsin's pizza gets a "WTF?" but honestly I would not expect any different from them. I've had NYC style pizza here and I know it's not the real thing, but if what I've had is even remotely close then I give it an A+!

I won't eat Chicago style because that's not pizza and if I was going to eat something like that I'd eat an Italian dish that is meant for that sort of meal. Sauce on top seems gimmicky to me. What does that do to improve the pizza? It sounds like something someone did just to be different. All square pizza looks good to me though, I've eaten square pizza and I love square or rectangular slices. If I had the power all pizza would be required to be made in a square or rectangular shape.

edit: to add missing word
Last edited by gameoverman on Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

gameoverman wrote:I won't eat Chicago style because that's not pizza
Yes it is.
gameoverman wrote: and if I was going to eat something like that I'd eat an Italian dish that is meant for that sort of meal.
Like pizza?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Ever since I found a place that sells brick cheese I've been making a sort of Detroit-style pizza in a cast-iron skillet. Sometimes I put the sauce on top, sometimes I do it normal. Either way it is delish!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I need to get cast iron cook ware... and a decent kitchen.

Not just for things like pizza, but things like omelettes are better baked in a cast iron skillet than pan fried.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

DD* wrote:Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/enter ... 653373002/
A new pizza joint in New York City – arguably one of the most serious pizza towns in the world – pays homage not to the Big Apple’s greasy slices, but to Detroit-style, deep dish pies.

Lions & Tigers & Squares Detroit Pizza recently opened in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan serving square, deep dish pizza with a thick, crispy crust a la Buddy’s, Cloverleaf or Loui’s in Hazel Park. The name is a nod to two of the Motor City’s sports teams, and the restaurant’s décor pays homage to 1960s Detroit with Tiffany-style lights and Detroit-themed photos, including Motown groups.
I'd try it. On a similar note another new pizza joint opened within 3 miles of my house. So I put the coupons in my car to try their version of the Detroit Deep Dish Garbage pizza and head to my Dr who says it's time to start working on the on that weight thing before that weight thing becomes that diabetes thing. :doh:

Guess what I'munna do on the way home :whistle:
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

New York Style Pizza is famous for its thin crust, which is hand-tossed and stretched, spread with tomato sauce, and topped with cheese and other toppings. Normally baked in a deck oven, the resulting crust is typically soft and foldable rather than crispy.

Chicago Style Pizza is a deep dish pizza. Its thick dough is pressed into a round pan as a pie, so that the crust sticks up around the edges. Sauce, cheese, and toppings are then placed into the bowl-like crust. It’s a thick, hearty pizza.

Detroit Style Pizza is made from a deep dish crust pressed into well-seasoned square steel pans and baked in deck ovens. A layer of pepperoni is applied directly on the dough, brick and mozzarella cheeses are spread edge-to-edge, and additional toppings are sprinkled on top. The cheese caramelizes to the crust edges during baking, and red sauce is ladled on before or after baking. Detroit Style Pizza features a crust that is light and airy on the inside, crispy on the outside.
source

Except that most Chicago Style Pizza's have the sauce on top too.
Still, sounds good.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:18 pm Ever since I found a place that sells brick cheese I've been making a sort of Detroit-style pizza in a cast-iron skillet. Sometimes I put the sauce on top, sometimes I do it normal. Either way it is delish!

Here's the last one I made in cast iron. House-smoked pulled pork, pepperoni and black olives. House-made sauce on the bottom.

Enlarge Image
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Black olive are my favorite of all possible pizza toppings. My world is shaken that the pizza is round but I would try it. :D

Also I have some pulled pork pizza with a lite bbq instead of red sauce and.... yum...
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:45 pm Black olive are my favorite of all possible pizza toppings. My world is shaken that the pizza is round but I would try it. :D

Also I have some pulled pork pizza with a lite bbq instead of red sauce and.... yum...
Black olives go on all my pizzas, home-made or store bought.

I am going to spring for a real Detroit-style steel rectangle pan one of these days but they are over $30 for a decent one and that's kinda expensive for a unitasker.
mori

Post by mori »

Do not like olives on my pizza but I understand its place on the pizza. That crust looks a little blacken.

I have taken cooking my frozen pizzas in a cast iron skillet. Preheat the oven with the skillet in the oven (sometimes with olive oil). Wait a little extra time then put the frozen pizza in the skillet and tart it up to personal tastes (I like cherry peppers, mushrooms, and added "Italian" seasonings. Some people go crazy with more cheese and/or meats.). Cook for the suggested time, and enjoy. The crust of frozen pizzas are the weakest part of the frozen pizza and cannot withstand alteration, this makes it so much better.

I see you can get Chicago or Detroit style pizza through Goldbelly, but I am confused. Is it precooked and you just reheating or is not cooked at all? Seems to defeat the reason to get the pizza if it is completely uncooked.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

mori wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:00 pm I see you can get Chicago or Detroit style pizza through Goldbelly, but I am confused. Is it precooked and you just reheating or is not cooked at all? Seems to defeat the reason to get the pizza if it is completely uncooked.
1/2 the yum of a Detroit pizza comes from the pan and oil caramelizing the cheese and crust together. It give you the same experience as eating the edge pieces of brownie, but in a pizza... I can't see that being replicated from a frozen pizza. But maybe it can be precooked that way? I dunno. Where's are cooking experts?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I perfected pizza over the winter, and now neither Wife nor I will eat restaurant pizza any more. Takes me about half an hour from rolling out the dough to serving. I have an elaborate process involving a pizza stone and parchment paper, and it took many tries to get that down just right.

Part of the perfection process was changing from black olives to kalamata. We agreed that black olives don't have enough flavor to justify their calories, whereas kalamata are strong enough to hold their own against all the other flavors in play.

Mine is neither Chicago nor NY style. I guess it's closer to NY, but we like a firm, well-done crust.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

You black olive lovers should give green olives and sausage a try some day.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

mori wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:00 pm That crust looks a little blacken.
Like LM said after your post, the blackened crust is part of it. I assure you it is not burned, just deeeeply caramelized. This is due to the technique of spreading the cheese (which I cube, that is a secret method) from edge to edge with no boarder crust.

We do at times use kalamata olives since I have a 2-kilo jug of them in my fridge at all times. When I do that I like to soak them in water for a couple hours first to draw out some of the salt. Plus I have to take the pits out which is sometimes more work than I want to do.

The dough is a no-knead variety that I mix the night before and allow to ferment for 24 hours before final rise in the cast iron pan. 550 F oven for 15 minutes. Blazing hot. That is still not quite enough time to finish the crust underneath before the toppings are ready so it gets finished on the stove top for a minute or two.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Archinerd wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:34 pm You black olive lovers should give green olives and sausage a try some day.

I have tried green olive and greek olives and other olives whose names I've long since forgotten. It turns out I only have a love green olives. I actually have a passive dislike for the rest.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

A thread about pizza turns out to be not much different than eating one in front of someone who would down an entire pizza themselves given the slightest pretext. Gahhhhh. :doh:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
mori

Post by mori »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:40 pm
mori wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:00 pm I see you can get Chicago or Detroit style pizza through Goldbelly, but I am confused. Is it precooked and you just reheating or is not cooked at all? Seems to defeat the reason to get the pizza if it is completely uncooked.
1/2 the yum of a Detroit pizza comes from the pan and oil caramelizing the cheese and crust together. It give you the same experience as eating the edge pieces of brownie, but in a pizza... I can't see that being replicated from a frozen pizza. But maybe it can be precooked that way? I dunno. Where's are cooking experts?
Detroit Style Pizza Company. I agree the carmelizing of the crust is important, just like in Chicago casserole. That is why I am confused by these pizza listings. If it is just a frozen pizza not cooked in the proper vessel, what is the point?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

$75 for three 7x9 cheese pizzas? :shock: I'm not even curious any more

I lied. I was curious enough to find their web site and now I'm curious enough that I will have to stop by if I am ever near St Clair Shores.

I can only assume they are precooked and flash frozen and you are just warming them at 350 to 400 for 15 minutes.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

em2nought wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:39 am someone who would down an entire pizza themselves given the slightest pretext.
No comment.