I don't <gasp> like pizza!
1%
Gangnam
9%

Total votes: 76

Brian

Re: [Pizza Wars 2013] Chicago style vs New York style

Post by Brian »

There are still Godfather's Pizza places around. They started here in Omaha so there are still quite a few but I don't know about other locations.

The one's here are all terrible.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

There are several godfathers in Iowa as well. Basic chain restaurant pizza. There are two kinds of pizza. Good and bad. It doesn't matter if it is Chicago or New York or Detroit style. Good pizza can be found in any of the styles.

One person's 'great pizza' is also another person's bad. We visited my wife's cousins in New York and they treated us to what they said was great pizza. It wasn't. The sausage on it was bad and overall, it just wasn't very good. There are people who don't like Tomaso's pizza in Cedar Rapids even though it has been voted best pizza in the area for years. It all comes down to what you like. Personally, I'll take Tomaso's Detroit Style pizza any day. My kids don't like it and prefer Little Ceasar's. I will admit that Little Ceasars is the best $5 pizza in town. It does not, however, compare to Tomaso's.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
JSHAW wrote:In Charlotte NC in the 70's we had a chain called Godfathers Pizza, good stuff. They had 1 place open until the late 90's
and it shut down. They served chicago style, and my wife who's from Charlotte still remembers Godfathers and she still
raves about their pizza. It was really good.
Herman Cain approves this message.

Don't think he'd approve that they all shut down in NC. :lol:

I was going to mention him but decided to keep the politics out of the pizza.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Chicago-style "pizza" is delicious. The problem, as explained adequately by Jon Stewart is that it's not pizza, it's a casserole.

There is no such thing as "NY-style" pizza. It's just pizza. Some places make it well (i.e. NY), some places are impressed by odd toppings (New Haven, CT), some places make it poorly (most places in NJ).

But it's all pizza. What Chicago serves isn't pizza. It's very good though.

I would literally murder a human to get convenient access to real Beef on Weck.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It's absolutely pizza, and these claims that it's not pizza are puzzling, to say the least. There is more than one style of pizza, just like there's more than one style of sandwich. A sub on French bread is a sandwich, just as a turkey club with three slices of toasted white bread is a sandwich, just as a marinated vegetables on foccacia is a sandwich, just as PB&J on wheat bread is a sandwich. Different styles, still a sandwich. Same principle applies for pizza, no matter how clever Jon Stewart thinks he's being by calling it a casserole.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
mori

Post by mori »

Some of my best local pizza options. The Bufalina is so damn good.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

I have been behind enemy lines and had the Chicago sausage deep dish at Gino's East, which was one of the best things I have ever eaten. However, the "first time" factor may have been playing a role in how much I liked it. The only way to be sure would be to go back and have it again (and next time I'm eating a whole pie :) ).

NY (& NJ) style pizza is a whole different animal, but which I greatly enjoy with high frequency. As far as the pleasure derived from eating either, it's a wash. Although, as LawBeef alluded to, it has to be the right time and right place for deep dish. However, anytime and anyplace is right for NY style.
18-1™ & 2-0
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

No one is alleging that Chicago Deep Dish "pizza" isn't delicious. It's just not pizza (no matter protestations from Chicago natives that don't know any better).
Make up bags of change
tgb

Post by tgb »

Can all just be thankful we're not in Japan?

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Just like beer threads bring out the beer snobs it seems that a pizza thread is bringing out the pizza snobs. :lol:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

As for foreign pizzas...my wife, who invariably orders either a veggie burger or pizza when she's not eating at home, says the the best pizza she's ever had in her life was the slice of margherita she got from a take-out window in Venice. I don't know if she's a connoisseur but she certainly eats a lot of pizza. 20+ years later she still holds it up as the ultimate pizza.

I'll bet that Venetians and Romans have arguments much like this one.

Oddly enough, we both got a slice from the same pie and sat down on a curb together to eat it. I don't remember it being remarkable. It was just pizza to me.
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

Kraken wrote:As for foreign pizzas...my wife, who invariably orders either a veggie burger or pizza when she's not eating at home, says the the best pizza she's ever had in her life was the slice of margherita she got from a take-out window in Venice. I don't know if she's a connoisseur but she certainly eats a lot of pizza. 20+ years later she still holds it up as the ultimate pizza.

Oddly enough, we both got a slice from the same pie and sat down on a curb together to eat it. I don't remember it being remarkable. It was just pizza to me.
I go to the farmers market during the non-snow months and get a fresh margherita pizza from the woodfire mobile pizzeria and it's awesome. I like almost all pizza though, even the $1 totinos.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

LordMortis wrote:Image

And a sample of what the crust of the best tasting pizza is supposed to look like.
Yeah I had no idea Detroit Style pizza was a thing until like this year or last year.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote:As for foreign pizzas...my wife, who invariably orders either a veggie burger or pizza when she's not eating at home, says the the best pizza she's ever had in her life was the slice of margherita she got from a take-out window in Venice. I don't know if she's a connoisseur but she certainly eats a lot of pizza. 20+ years later she still holds it up as the ultimate pizza.

The Neopolitans might have something to say about pizza.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We have a local place here that sells New York style pizza. The guy who runs it was born and raised in NYC and moved down here so I assume he knows WTF he's doing. I don't know how it compares to a "real" NY pizzeria, but it's by far the best pizza in town. Occasionally when you go in there you'll see various mob types in there. It's like stepping into a Sopranos episode.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote:

They should focus on ice cream.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote:
Alefroth wrote:

That ice cream is anything but focused.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Alefroth wrote:
Kraken wrote:
Alefroth wrote:

That ice cream is anything but focused.
Maybe that's what he meant. If they focused on their ice cream, you wouldn't have to taste Strawberries in your vanilla or your chocolate.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

JSHAW wrote:Just like beer threads bring out the beer snobs it seems that a pizza thread is bringing out the pizza snobs. :lol:
And the coffee thread. And the shaving thread. And the fast food/french fries thread. And the... :D
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
JSHAW wrote:Just like beer threads bring out the beer snobs it seems that a pizza thread is bringing out the pizza snobs. :lol:
And the coffee thread. And the shaving thread. And the fast food/french fries thread. And the... :D

There is no one right way to make pizza... I whole heartedly agree with that sentiment. But some pizza still generally hits the spot better other pizza.

I do regret that when Trent was in town he wanted BW3 and not taking him through a field of pizza variety, from chili pizza to seafood pizza to the chain pizza thing of beauty. If I had only known.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Godfathers was awesome. They closed up shop here around 1995 or so. I worked there in 1986. The best perk was making my own personal pan pizza and salad for lunch break. Awesome. Fahget aboot it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LordMortis wrote:There is no one right way to make pizza...
Well, unless you're Jon Stewart or RunningMn9. Then you stomp your feet and hold your breath and say there is only one way to make pizza, facts be damned. :P
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And a sample of what the crust of the best tasting pizza is supposed to look like.
I didn't catch this when it first went up. I've had a pizza like that before with the same type of crust and absolutely loved it. I wish I could find a place around here that does it that way.

edit: hmmm...Little Caesars calls their deep dish pizza "detroit style". I'll need to give it a shot. I usually avoid that place as they sell those horrid 5 dollar pizzas that show up at parties all the time.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote:

I didn't catch this when it first went up. I've had a pizza like that before with the same type of crust and absolutely loved it. I wish I could find a place around here that does it that way.

edit: hmmm...Little Caesars calls their deep dish pizza "detroit style". I'll need to give it a shot. I usually avoid that place as they sell those horrid 5 dollar pizzas that show up at parties all the time.
Don't judge a square deep dish pizza by eating Little Ceaser's. While passable (and way better than their round pizza), it's not really representative of the real thing.

Are you close to any of these:

http://jetspizza.com/stores/state/IL" target="_blank
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote:

The aforementioned Pequod's has that kind of crust. Say the word and I'm there.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

hepcat wrote:

That is what we call "Sicilian". You people really call them "square pizza"?

There is a place close to my house that makes the best Sicilian I've ever had. It's all in the crust. Their sauce and cheese are great also, but the crust makes it, as with any good pizza. For Smoove's benefit, who is the only one within reasonable distance to try this, I'm talking about Cesco's on 94. Order a large Sicilian with sausage, pepperoni and extra cheese. It's insane.
18-1™ & 2-0
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

ImLawBoy wrote:
Well, unless you're Jon Stewart or RunningMn9. Then you stomp your feet and hold your breath and say there is only one way to make pizza, facts be damned. :P
Why can't you just be happy that your pizza-derivative product is delicious? Why the sensitivity? If you guys are that hung up about it, you could try just making actual pizza. ;)
Make up bags of change
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

For the life of me I can't find a single good place near me for pizza. It's mind boggling since there's like 7 places in my area. I sometimes drive all the way to Randolph to get pizza which is like 40 minutes round trip. :lol: And I'm totally in the NY is pizza and Chicago is something else. I mean they gave John Stewart a f'n fork and knife to eat the thing!
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Trent Steel wrote:That is what we call "Sicilian". You people really call them "square pizza"?
"We" just call it deep dish. But the rest of the world equates deep dish Chicago style deep dish or Pizza Hut.
It's all in the crust.
That's what I'm saying. Caramelizing the crust in peanut oil by a seasoned pan just mixes in with pizza so damned yummy. You love the good cheese. You love the sauce baking into the bread but the crust makes the pizza. And the more flavor you blend in with baked grease crust (and sauce and cheese) the better it can be. So a pepperoni awesome just to appreciate the crust and the pepperoni and sauce and cheese and all but a garbage pizza is sheer taste bud delight.

Those who would prefer a brownie with no edges need not apply.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Trent Steel wrote:There is a place close to my house that makes the best Sicilian I've ever had. It's all in the crust. Their sauce and cheese are great also, but the crust makes it, as with any good pizza. For Smoove's benefit, who is the only one within reasonable distance to try this, I'm talking about Cesco's on 94. Order a large Sicilian with sausage, pepperoni and extra cheese. It's insane.
Have you ever tried the old Pietro's in Hackettstown (in the old blockbuster plaza)? The new one is mediocre, but the old one had a deep dish "everything" pizza that was beyond ridiculous. You could only get a single slice down because of volume, but it was excellent.
Make up bags of change
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: That's what I'm saying. Caramelizing the crust in peanut oil by a seasoned pan just mixes in with pizza so damned yummy. You love the good cheese. You love the sauce baking into the bread but the crust makes the pizza. And the more flavor you blend in with baked grease crust (and sauce and cheese) the better it can be. So a pepperoni awesome just to appreciate the crust and the pepperoni and sauce and cheese and all but a garbage pizza is sheer taste bud delight.

That's how I remember Cottage Inn used to be.

*sigh*
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Honestly, to me, there's not much bad pizza out there and I'm happy with just about any pizza in front of me.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

LordMortis wrote:
Trent Steel wrote:That is what we call "Sicilian". You people really call them "square pizza"?
"We" just call it deep dish.
I dare you to make less sense.
LordMortis wrote:Caramelizing the crust in peanut oil by a seasoned pan just mixes in with pizza so damned yummy. You love the good cheese. You love the sauce baking into the bread but the crust makes the pizza. And the more flavor you blend in with baked grease crust (and sauce and cheese) the better it can be. So a pepperoni awesome just to appreciate the crust and the pepperoni and sauce and cheese and all but a garbage pizza is sheer taste bud delight.

/Homer drool
18-1™ & 2-0
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Trent Steel wrote:There is a place close to my house that makes the best Sicilian I've ever had. It's all in the crust. Their sauce and cheese are great also, but the crust makes it, as with any good pizza. For Smoove's benefit, who is the only one within reasonable distance to try this, I'm talking about Cesco's on 94. Order a large Sicilian with sausage, pepperoni and extra cheese. It's insane.
Have you ever tried the old Pietro's in Hackettstown (in the old blockbuster plaza)? The new one is mediocre, but the old one had a deep dish "everything" pizza that was beyond ridiculous. You could only get a single slice down because of volume, but it was excellent.
I was at that place eons ago, but for a sit down dinner. I remember not being too impressed at the time, but I didn't have their pizza. There are only two places within reasonable distance to me that I will say has outstanding pizza. The aforementioned Cesco's and Sonny's. Dominick's is okay, but they use a conveyor belt oven, which automatically downgrades them.

All this pizza talk is making me feel like I'm going to be taking a crack at my personal slices record soon.
18-1™ & 2-0
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote:That's how I remember Cottage Inn used to be.
If you ever come back this way, get their Mediterranean Chicken pizza on thin crust. ooowwhh so good.
Last edited by LordMortis on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I have no complaints about Sonny's (I am more familiar with the old one in Andover). You will have to bring one of these Sicilians to Smoove's.
Make up bags of change
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

RunningMn9 wrote:I have no complaints about Sonny's (I am more familiar with the old one in Andover).
The old one in Andover is where we got the pizza when I ate 15.5 slices.
RunningMn9 wrote:You will have to bring one of these Sicilians to Smoove's.
I was thinking the same thing. This will be arranged.
18-1™ & 2-0
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Trent Steel wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
"We" just call it deep dish.
I dare you to make less sense.
Challenge accepted!

from Google picture search, our deep dish is subcategory of Sicilian:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sicilia ... 80&bih=829" target="_blank

(Ignore all of the Little Ceaser's pics. Again they'll do when they need to because you they're ready and they're not horrible but they aren't representative of how good things can really be.)

https://www.google.com/search?q=detroit ... 80&bih=829" target="_blank

Also I had to settle for Mac and Cheese or soup from a can last night because I never made it out of the house. Tonight I must run errands. I am so getting a Jets 10.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

RunningMn9 wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:
Why can't you just be happy that your pizza-derivative product is delicious? Why the sensitivity? If you guys are that hung up about it, you could try just making actual pizza. ;)
Oh, I know that Chicago style pizza is delicious. I'm just baffled that you want to play word games about it and call it something other than what it is - pizza. You're usually a pretty logical guy, so your inability (or unwillingness) to recognize that being a different style of pizza doesn't make something not pizza is quite confusing to me.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

If you are baffled by my behavior in this thread, then you don't know me very well. :)
Make up bags of change