Holy crap. Elfstones of Shannara coming to TV. MTV that is.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jag

Holy crap. Elfstones of Shannara coming to TV. MTV that is.

Post by Jag »

Very strange, but I loved the series when I was a kid.

Why Shannara on MTV is a good thing
Dear Readers,

You cannot imagine how difficult it has been waiting for this morning’s announcement about the endeavor to turn the Shannara books into a TV series, starting with Elfstones of Shannara. Really, it has been very hard not to talk about it. I’ve known about the particulars of this effort for some time. I’m very excited about Miles Millar and Al Gough writing and Jon Favreau directing. I am also very excited about MTV’s strong passion for the project and I am very confident they will be a great home for it.
Apparently Sword of Shannara was too LOTR like (no kidding) and didn't have enough female leads.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Re: Holy crap. Elfstones of Shannara coming to TV. MTV that

Post by bb2112 »

Jag wrote:Very strange, but I loved the series when I was a kid.

Why Shannara on MTV is a good thing
Dear Readers,

You cannot imagine how difficult it has been waiting for this morning’s announcement about the endeavor to turn the Shannara books into a TV series, starting with Elfstones of Shannara. Really, it has been very hard not to talk about it. I’ve known about the particulars of this effort for some time. I’m very excited about Miles Millar and Al Gough writing and Jon Favreau directing. I am also very excited about MTV’s strong passion for the project and I am very confident they will be a great home for it.
Apparently Sword of Shannara was too LOTR like (no kidding) and didn't have enough female leads.
Although I like the idea, I am skeptical about MTV being the right vehicle. I also wish they would have started with Sword of Shannara. It is the better story.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

bb2112 wrote:Although I like the idea, I am skeptical about MTV being the right vehicle. I also wish they would have started with Sword of Shannara. It is the better story.
This. I agree with all points.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I thought Sword was the worst of the series. It was dull, heartless, and almost made me stop reading the series.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hmmm... wonder if it depends on when you read them (i.e. how old you were).

I guess Sword is probably the most memorable for me because of the weapons master. I loved the idea of the final fight. The rest of the book is pretty blurry. But then so are the others...

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I read it when I was 17, at a time when I thought Dragonlance was the height of fantasy literature. The problems I had with it were first, that it was Lord of the Rings, an almost chapter-by-chapter recreation of it. Second, nothing in it made me care about characters. I get attached to characters. He killed one partway through the book, and I didn't care in the least. They were so flat that I never felt connection to any of them.

After Sword, though, Brooks started writing his own books, and the series got pretty good.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
DD*

Post by DD* »

Gym-Tan-Elfstones FTW!
Last edited by DD* on Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sword of Shannara was the first book I ever threw at a wall. I was disgusted by the blatant ripoffiness of it.

Of course I was 13 at the time and felt these things too deeply. I probably bonfired my copy. I don't think I ever forgave the Brothers Hildebrandt either.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jag

Post by Jag »

DD* wrote:Gym Tan Elfstones FTW!
I had a little pouch of dragon dice that I pretended were my Elfstones. I was such a geek :D
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I enjoyed Sword of Shannara, but I recognize the whole LotR thing. Elfstones was fun too as I recall.

With Jon Favreau writing, I think the concerns about MTV are overblown. MTV is looking for their Breaking Bad/Mad Men series...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

bb2112 wrote:Although I like the idea, I am skeptical about MTV being the right vehicle. I also wish they would have started with Sword of Shannara. It is the better story.
We already have Lord of the Rings...why would we need it again?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I liked Sword even if it was a bit of a ripoff. Nothing was more of a LotR ripoff than the Silver Call duology by Dennis McTiernan.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wonder if they'll use a live audience or just go with canned laughter? Personally I think laugh tracks rarely work well.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Redfive wrote:I liked Sword even if it was a bit of a ripoff. Nothing was more of a LotR ripoff than the Silver Call duology by Dennis McTiernan.
I was trying to remember the name (without going and checking my books). But, yeah, if you want a ... tribute... to LotR, that's the one that comes to mind. I actually don't even recall Sword being a ripoff. But it's also possible that I read it first. I do have the urge now to dig it out and see what's what.

The thing to realize about Silver Call, though, is that it's not exactly a ripoff. At least not in the usual sense. He intentionally wrote it as a tribute. The forward in the book explicitly states that (at least my copy). When I think "ripoff", I think of someone who takes someone else's ideas, etc., and then tries to pretend that they didn't. <cough>Vanilla Ice</cough>

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Reading Sword after reading LotR made me sure to not pick up another book. Perhaps I was done a disservice in my order choice there, but there it is.

And it's MTV. Can we expect some of the characters to be played by teen mothers?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

I agree about being too Lord of the Rings. Maybe they will emphasize the future aspect of Shannara.

I wish someone would do the first couple of Landover books instead. That would have Fantasy and be different enough.
Jag

Post by Jag »

According to the full press release '
If MTV likes the script, it is expected to give the project a straight-to-series order. Shannara reunites Gough and Millar with Daniels, who developed and put Smallville on the air while she was entertainment president at the WB. “I am thrilled to be working with the Smallville creators Al and Miles again along with the amazingly talented Jon Favreau,” Daniels said. “We feel that the Shannara novels are a perfect fit for MTV as this type of fantasy genre has continuously proved to resonate with our audience.”

Shannara is set in our world, thousands of years after the destruction of our civilization. The story is centered on the Shannara family, whose descendants are empowered with ancient magic and whose adventures continuously reshape the future of the world. The first season of the potential series will be based on The Elfstones Of Shannara, the second title in the series — a fan favorite accredited with cementing the series place in the fantasy world. The book series features plenty of young-adult adventure and romance to suit MTV’s target demographic. Shannara also would be compatible with MTV’s only successful drama series so far, Teen Wolf, which also has supernatural elements.
I didn't know this, which I found surprising.
Brooks is the second-biggest-selling living fantasy book writer, after Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling, with the Shannara books estimated to be the highest-selling fantasy book series in the world that is yet to get a screen adaptation. The first book in the series came out in 1977, the two most recent were published this year, and two more are scheduled for 2014. “The adaptation of these books is very important to me, and I believe we are on the right track in our endeavor to create an epic television series that both new and old fans of the books will love,” Brooks said.
I'm guessing it's going to be like the Sword of Truth series which had two amazingly gorgeous women on it.
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

A long time ago, before the web when we were on service like GEnie, Terry Brooks took part in a round table discussion about his Shannara Books. I think this was after Landover got started,but long before the Nest Freeman books. I asked if Shannara took place in the past or future since I thought the early books were ambiguous on that point. I sort of thought they were future, but he refused to answer back then. I remember asking what was his intent and him telling me intent was a legal term and he is no longer did legal stuff. :D
Jag

Post by Jag »

I always thought it was pretty clear that it was a future world of ours. I don't remember why, but there were indications.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

The robots and skyscraper ruins
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

IceBear wrote:The robots and skyscraper ruins
I was like 17 when I read the Sword and Elfstones. So I remember thinking ancient civilization? Lemuria? Atlantis?

Says more about my reading habits and my perceptions at the time.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Definitely future - has something of a "Dark Tower" vibe, especially in the latter books.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

APPEARS this month, The Shannara Chronicles (based on bk 2, The Elfstones of Shannara) will finally premiere.

I read the The Sword of Shannara Trilogy ages ago [in the Lost Years when I was a feral bookworm] but I wasn't a big fan - although later, I did enjoy Brooks' other Shannara-related series (especially 'The Word And The Void Trilogy' and 'The Genesis of Shannara Trilogy' - both trilogies being pre-Shannara background).

So, anticipating the MTV series debut, I re-read The Sword of Shannara and Elfstones. I still feel Brooks' is a bit wordy (too much trivial detail) and derivative but the books were interesting reads regardless.

I'm surprised how little I really remembered from my earlier reading of either book - I only had a faint recollection of much of the plot. Aside from recalling how many Tolkien parallels there were and the opening scene wherein that major jerk Allanon introduces himself to Flick (iirc) - it was all new to me.

Anyhow, I hope the tv series doesn't disappoint completely.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote:Reading Sword after reading LotR made me sure to not pick up another book. Perhaps I was done a disservice in my order choice there, but there it is.

And it's MTV. Can we expect some of the characters to be played by teen mothers?
Real Elves: Shannara
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

If it's out this month they haven't shown any trailers which can't be good as they have been spamming trailers of their Scream reboot since late April
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
DD*

Post by DD* »

I am willing to be surprised, but I predict disaster.

Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Um. Look who they cast as Allanon:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1051220/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_3

Guess that's one way not to confuse him with Gandalf.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I look forward to him counseling friends and family about a major character's drinking problem.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Isgrimnur wrote:I look forward to him counseling friends and family about a major character's drinking problem.
I think he's going to stab Wil Ohmsford and say "Sorry kid".
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I don't get it. :|
Jag

Post by Jag »

Isgrimnur wrote:I don't get it. :|
I figured you for an Arrow watcher. Manu Bennet is a major character.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ah. I'm like eight episodes into season 1, and it's been a couple months since that.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jag wrote:
and Jon Favreau directing.
From the original post, Is Favreau still attached to the project? He's pretty good, although the source material in this case is questionable. :wink:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

IMDB lists him as EP for the pilot.

IGN
However, scheduling conflicts have taken Favreau out of the director's chair and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' Jonathan Liebesman will be directing the first two episodes - and then staying aboard with an executive producer credit.

Favreau will still remain on as an executive producer.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

hepcat wrote:I wonder if they'll use a live audience or just go with canned laughter? Personally I think laugh tracks rarely work well.
I wonder how they will work kicking someone off the show every week and how they will manage to put pregnant teenage moms in it.
Black Lives Matter
DD*

Post by DD* »

Road Rules in Eastland is going to rock. Can you say emo Gnomes? Winar!

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Jag wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:I look forward to him counseling friends and family about a major character's drinking problem.
I think he's going to stab Wil Ohmsford and say "Sorry kid".
Never watched Arrow. I figured he'd see a troll and say 'Jupiter's C*ck those guys are big'
Jag

Post by Jag »

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Jag wrote:First trailer released for Comic-Con. Man it looks good.
Wow.

What a pleasant surprise. Fantasy IMO is hard to pull off without being totally cheesy and that trailer looked great.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Piqued my interest - I like how they incorporated old world relics in the scenery. Not sure about the "metal lightsaber" sword though. Definitely on my radar now...