Netflix Instant Watch Recommendations

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Netflix Instant Watch Recommendations

Post by Carpet_pissr »

DudeBro, three of my favorite comedy series are: Arrested Development, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Flight of the Conchords. Bring the absurdity.

Edit: add Community to that list
PLW

Re: Netflix Instant Watch Recommendations

Post by PLW »

I can heartily recommend American Vandal. It's a faux- True Crime documentary, and it's amazing. I watched the whole thing in two binges.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I finished watching "Norsemen" last night, which is an absolutely hilarious spoof on "Vikings" produced in Norway. So much funny packed into 6 episodes, highly recommended.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I just finished the first season of The Good Place. I highly recommend it. Disclaimer - I have a thing for Kristen Bell, but she's really good in this role. Ted Danson is just awesome and the rest of the cast mesh well.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skinypupy wrote:I finished watching "Norsemen" last night, which is an absolutely hilarious spoof on "Vikings" produced in Norway. So much funny packed into 6 episodes, highly recommended.
whoa...i saw the listing for that but didn't realize it was a comedy. I just figured it was an attempt to capitalize on the popularity of Vikings. I need to check it out now.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Watched GERALD'S GAME last night.

I was curious as to how they would adapt this one, since the novel takes place mainly in the main character's head. However, they pulled it off pretty well. Some really creepy sequences. This was a tough one to pull off given the fact that most of the book takes place in the lead character's head and the sexual abuse themes.

Mike Flanagan's films seem to always be entertaining for me but fall *just* short of truly being great, and I think this fits the pattern.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:I finished watching "Norsemen" last night, which is an absolutely hilarious spoof on "Vikings" produced in Norway. So much funny packed into 6 episodes, highly recommended.
whoa...i saw the listing for that but didn't realize it was a comedy. I just figured it was an attempt to capitalize on the popularity of Vikings. I need to check it out now.
Fwiw, the first episode is probably the worst one. It really gets rolling after that though.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I watched Gerald's Game last weekend. I agree with Yellowking, it's good but not great. Fast moving story makes it good. I would like to see more movies from Netflix.

I'm currently watching Ozark based on reading about it here. Thanks OO! I'm really enjoying it a lot. I have two episodes to go, but it's probably in my top five favorite Netflix originals. Really well made, good story writing, love the castings (great fit for their roles), and well acted. I doubt my wife will enjoy it, but she is going to give it a try because I keep talking about it. I really hope they continue this one!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

They already have. Season 2 has already been green lit.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Here are two different kind of recommendations:

Jack Whitehall: Travels with my Father. He's an English comedian, and he brings along his father on a trip of Asia. Thing is, his father stubborn and unable to experience new things, the results which lead to funny situations.

Paul Hollywood's Big Continental Roadtrip: He's a chef and racecar driver, traveling Europe with a bunch of different cars. The unique thing about this show is that he gives us an in-depth look at each country and how their car culture has affected them, all the while driving their country's various cars on offer. He might drive 5-8 different of these cars per episode.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Torfish wrote:I'm currently watching Ozark based on reading about it here. Thanks OO! I'm really enjoying it a lot. I have two episodes to go, but it's probably in my top five favorite Netflix originals. Really well made, good story writing, love the castings (great fit for their roles), and well acted. I doubt my wife will enjoy it, but she is going to give it a try because I keep talking about it. I really hope they continue this one!
Yes, and it finally gave Jordana Spiro a role she could do something with. She was great in My Boys and hasn't done a whole lot since (that I've noticed--Mob Doctor was meh and died on the vine after one short season).
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

We tried traveling with my father and gave up 10 minutes in. Too fake. Do they tone it down a bit?
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

They do, a bit. But it's all a matter of taste, I guess.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Skinypupy wrote:
hepcat wrote:
Fwiw, the first episode is probably the worst one. It really gets rolling after that though.
I had no idea it was a comedy either. Guess I'll add it to the list.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We watched Geralds Game over the weekend. I agree with what was said earlier in this thread. It was good, but fell short of being great.

One part had my wife and I screaming.
Spoiler:
When she cut her hand and the skin came off so she could get out of the cuffs.
I'm getting queasy just thinking of it.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

msteelers wrote:We watched Geralds Game over the weekend. I agree with what was said earlier in this thread. It was good, but fell short of being great.

Spoiler:
...which is technically described as
Spoiler:
degloving
for obvious reasons, though that probably won't make you feel any less queasy about it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ugh. That’s a disgustingly fitting term for that action. AUGH!!!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
msteelers wrote:We watched Geralds Game over the weekend. I agree with what was said earlier in this thread. It was good, but fell short of being great.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
degloving
for obvious reasons, though that probably won't make you feel any less queasy about it.
You are a monster.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

msteelers wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
degloving
You are a monster.
Had two of those calls at work over the summer. Watch it working around farm equipment is all I can say... :|
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Spoiler:
That part of the book really bugged me too.

I'm still not watching this movie. I now am doubly not watching the movie.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Mindhunter is a great look at the early days of behavioral science in the FBI. Set in the 70s, it follows a young agent who becomes haunted by a failed hostage situation with a mentally ill person and becomes fascinated by the study of what makes serial killers tick.

Episode two features a truly charismatic performance by an actor playing real life sicko Ed Kemper. His jailhouse interview with the young agent is completely disarming.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I've seen some ads for that one and been intrigued. Will have to check it out.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Anyone who enjoys, let's call it Campy Horror (sometimes know as "silly stupid fun" apparently), should check out The Babysitter. All kinds of awesome. :D
-mf
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:05 pm I've seen some ads for that one and been intrigued. Will have to check it out.
Watched Episode 1 of Mindhunters last night and quite enjoyed it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:41 pm DudeBro, three of my favorite comedy series are: Arrested Development, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Flight of the Conchords. Bring the absurdity.

Edit: add Community to that list
Holy crap, Clem Fandango is now a Star Trek Discovery cast member! :shock:

How in the world am I going to avoid yelling "Yes I can hear you, Captain Lorca!" every episode now?
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Anyone who hasn't watched "Cube" should check it out.

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I was under the house last week, running some speaker wire, and my wife was inside, yelling "CAN YOU HEAR ME?!" over and over, because she heard me bumping around and thought I was hurt or stuck.

Finally, I screamed at the top of my lungs (apparently she didn't hear my first responses) YES I CAN FUCKING HEAR YOU, CLEM FANDANGO!". She was not amused. :D
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

"Big Mouth" is one of the most wildly inappropriate and hilariously vulgar shows I've ever seen. It's also an honest look at the mess that is puberty, growing up, and sexuality. Highly recommended, and reviews are really good as well.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I had to stop watching Gerald's game. Too disturbing.
Spoiler:
I stomached through the beginning, but when it flashed back to the dad and daughter I had to stop.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

naednek wrote:I had to stop watching Gerald's game. Too disturbing.
Spoiler:
I stomached through the beginning, but when it flashed back to the dad and daughter I had to stop.
Yeah, I’m not one to talk out loud when I’m watching something, but I remember saying something like “Oh no. Please don’t go there” when that scene started unfolding.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Moliere wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:17 pm Anyone who hasn't watched "Cube" should check it out.

+1

I also enjoyed the rest of the series...4 of them I think?? maybe more... it's been a while.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:12 am Anyone who enjoys, let's call it Campy Horror (sometimes know as "silly stupid fun" apparently), should check out The Babysitter. All kinds of awesome. :D
Thought this was rather 'meh'. Promising setup, poor execution (no pun intended).

Time would probably have been better spent watching "Tucker and Dale vs Evil" again.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

hepcat wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:51 pm Mindhunter is a great look at the early days of behavioral science in the FBI. Set in the 70s, it follows a young agent who becomes haunted by a failed hostage situation with a mentally ill person and becomes fascinated by the study of what makes serial killers tick.

Episode two features a truly charismatic performance by an actor playing real life sicko Ed Kemper. His jailhouse interview with the young agent is completely disarming.
This is great, just finished watching the entire season. Highly recommended.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Was the actor playing Ed Kemper freaking great or what? That’s a standout performance that will hopefully lead to more roles for him.
He won. Period.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

PLW wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:38 am I can heartily recommend American Vandal. It's a faux- True Crime documentary, and it's amazing. I watched the whole thing in two binges.
+1 Maybe the best thing I've seen on Netflix all year.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:27 am I finished watching "Norsemen" last night, which is an absolutely hilarious spoof on "Vikings" produced in Norway. So much funny packed into 6 episodes, highly recommended.
Thanks for the recommendation!

"Hate the game, not the player." Among many other modern day quotes. :lol:

Also, l like how they make no attempt at speaking with an accent or even with different languages. The scene where the two slaves start reciting the same prayer and are asked to translate, still speaking English to each other in front of the Vikings, also speaking English was great.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote:Was the actor playing Ed Kemper freaking great or what? That’s a standout performance that will hopefully lead to more roles for him.
Hot damn, yes. Only through three episodes but Mindhunters is fantastic so far.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The actor's ability to portray this incredibly sick and twisted human being who has done things that are utterly evil beyond comprehension as someone you could actually like and trust...even while describing acts of depravity that are truly sickening...is amazing. I've heard that serial killers often charm their victims into going with them before they're murdered, but I always found that hard to believe. But I could see someone being caught off guard by him. The other killers they interview just seem like scumbags and weird creeps without any depth in comparison.

I checked out some interviews with the real Ed Kemper and the actor nailed it.
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"To the 53 people who've watched A Christmas Prince every day for the past 18 days: Who hurt you?"

Fess up! Who here is part of this group of 53?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NME
Netflix have revealed a bunch of statistics about users’ usage over the last 12 months, and it turns out one user streamed Bee Movie a whopping 357 times in 2017.
Probably someone with a small kid.
It's almost as if people are the problem.