Netflix Instant Watch Recommendations

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

coopasonic

Re: Netflix Instant Watch Recommendations

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:25 pm NME
Netflix have revealed a bunch of statistics about users’ usage over the last 12 months, and it turns out one user streamed Bee Movie a whopping 357 times in 2017.
Probably someone with a small kid.
My kids aren't even that small anymore and will watch the same movie over and over again. The number of times I have seen Cars and Despicable Me is ... let's go positive and call it astonishing.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I didn't have the ability to watch movies over and over again when I was a kid. I'm sure I would have too.

This example might be someone who runs a kid-friendly business and has something like this on in the background.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:25 pm NME
Netflix have revealed a bunch of statistics about users’ usage over the last 12 months, and it turns out one user streamed Bee Movie a whopping 357 times in 2017.
Probably someone with a small kid.
Why do you think someone hates a child that much?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

I recommend Dreamland.

It's an Aussie comedy about a government infrastructure building agency. Comedy gold, right? The cast includes two competent characters, one semi-competent, and then everyone else. I'm three episodes in and it's quite funny. It was recommended to me because I watched W1A - which is British funny whereas this is straight up funny.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

PSA: The Magicians Season 2 is now Netflixified.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 31, 2016 4:00 pm season 3 of Peaky Blinders is finally up! :horse:
Oy! PEAKY FUCKIN BLINDERS is back!

(Season 4)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Yeah. On the final episode. Brody is so over the top lol. Apart from that, love love love this show so much.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

And finished...

Holy shit balls.

Seriously love this show to death.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm only one episode in, but even Brody's 2 minute introduction scene in the first episode was fantastic.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Hey! That's Littlefinger/Mayor Carcetti! Peaky Blinders rocks!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love his character’s name, Aberama Gold. I had never heard that first name before. Now I want everything to name their kid Aberama.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:55 pm I love his character’s name, Aberama Gold. I had never heard that first name before. Now I want everything to name their kid Aberama.
I kept hearing it as “Alabama” and even that would be a cool name.
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ok, binge watching today and after 4 episodes, I wanna shout ENOUGH WITH THE DAMN RESERVOIR DOGS SLOW MO SHOTS!
Covfefe!
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

hepcat wrote:Ok, binge watching today and after 4 episodes, I wanna shout ENOUGH WITH THE DAMN RESERVOIR DOGS SLOW MO SHOTS!
Pfft!

Love me some Johnny Cash this season.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’ve heard a ton of Nick Cave as usual (which is great for Cave fanatics like me), but I don’t recall hearing any Cash so far.

I want to get my hands on the cover of Red Right Hand that was played over Jessie Edens intro early in the season.

Edit: Looks like it was by Fidlar.
Covfefe!
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

hepcat wrote:I’ve heard a ton of Nick Cave as usual (which is great for Cave fanatics like me), but I don’t recall hearing any Cash so far.

I want to get my hands on the cover of Red Right Hand that was played over Jessie Edens intro early in the season.

Edit: Looks like it was by Fidlar.
Season 4 episode 2, Further On Up the Road.

Final scene, Arthur and Tommy sitting in the yard contemplating the smell of Birmingham... It's low but it's there. 55:30 mark or so.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Did you forget about Tunefind?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Isgrimnur wrote:Did you forget about Tunefind?
He's still porking ladies from the 1800's. Give him a chance.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Anyway, my love life aside, episode one of season four of Black Mirror went in a direction I was not expecting about 15 minutes in. My hat’s off to the writing team. They took what I expected to be a cliched story line and turned it on its head.
Covfefe!
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Yeah. I thought I knew, then I didn't. Real good start. Arkangel next.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ok, everyone needs to watch “La Mante”, “The Mantis”, a French miniseries funded by Netfix. The crux of the story is that there is a serial killer who is a copycat of The Mantis, a female serial killer who currently serving a life sentence for 8 murders. She agrees to help the cops, but only if her son, who is also a cop, is her contact for the case. There are so many twists in this thing that it’s crazy. Part crime procedural, part psychological thriller, I highly recommend it.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Dave Chappelle's new special dropped. :dance:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The Toys That Made Us series is utterly fascinating. The four episodes so far go into the history of Star Wars, Barbie, He-Man, and G.I. Joe with interviews with the designers and other players in the creation of those toys. It's got a terrific sense of humor and some of the behind-the-scenes shenanigans and business decisions are riveting.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Just finished Peaky Blinders and I think Arthur put it best when he said "And that's why you don't fuck with the Peaky Blinders."
Black lives matter!

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Peaky Blinders won't be the same
Spoiler:
without Tom Hardy. His scenes were always the highlight of the episode.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Moliere wrote:Peaky Blinders won't be the same
Spoiler:
without Tom Hardy. His scenes were always the highlight of the episode.
You assume much.

Finished The Crown. So much whiney goodness.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We finished The Crown as well last night. I liked it, and will be a little sad when the principal actors are changed next season.

I think my wife took Prince Philip’s cheating dickishness personally. The show ended and she went on a rant about how men suck and Matt Smith is no longer her favorite Doctor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

msteelers wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:55 am I think my wife took Prince Philip’s cheating dickishness personally. The show ended and she went on a rant about how men suck and Matt Smith is no longer her favorite Doctor.
You should have her call Paingod's wife.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

whoa...paingod's wife was the woman Prince Phillip cheated with? :shock:
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

YellowKing wrote:The Toys That Made Us series is utterly fascinating. The four episodes so far go into the history of Star Wars, Barbie, He-Man, and G.I. Joe with interviews with the designers and other players in the creation of those toys. It's got a terrific sense of humor and some of the behind-the-scenes shenanigans and business decisions are riveting.
Agreed. The lawyer who negotiated the Star Wars deal for Kenner was dryly entertaining. And who knew Barbie had slutty roots?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:44 pm And who knew Barbie had slutty roots?
:whistle:
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:57 am
msteelers wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:55 am I think my wife took Prince Philip’s cheating dickishness personally. The show ended and she went on a rant about how men suck and Matt Smith is no longer her favorite Doctor.
You should have her call Paingod's wife.
:D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The End of the F** World is pretty damn great. Eight 20 odd minute episodes follow James, a self avowed teen psychopath and Alyssa, a disenchanted girl as they try to find her father...although James is just tagging along so he can kill her after they do.

It’s a dark comedy that feels like a Wes Anderson film. The leads should be big stars soon. They’re fantastic.
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:47 pm The End of the F** World is pretty damn great. Eight 20 odd minute episodes follow James, a self avowed teen psychopath and Alyssa, a disenchanted girl as they try to find her father...although James is just tagging along so he can kill her after they do.

It’s a dark comedy that feels like a Wes Anderson film. The leads should be big stars soon. They’re fantastic.
Watched this over the last two days and enjoyed it. The wife was on the couch when I cranked up an episode and decided to leave after the... incident... saying that whatever I was watching was sick. Okay, 'nite, see ya later!
:pop:
The ending caught me a bit off guard.
-mf
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Which incident? There's like one per episode, for cryin' out loud. :wink:

But yeah, this is an R rated series for many reasons. Although oddly enough, sex isn't really one of them. It's all language and situations. It's also oddly sweet, which I wasn't expecting.
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:59 pm Which incident? There's like one per episode, for cryin' out loud. :wink:
LOL... was trying to keep away from spoiler-y words. I think it was the 3rd episode? The one where James finally
Spoiler:
gets his chance to kill someone and it wasn't all that he thought (hoped?) it would be. And it was oddly sweet to see them come together and for James to start to 'feel things' ("Maybe I'm not a psychopath") right before they (I assume) killed him. :(
-mf
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The more I think about the show, the more I realize I don't want a season 2 of The End of the F** World. Not because I don't love the show, the characters, the story...but because it would cheapen all of season 1. I mean, where do you go from that ending?

The show is all about:
Spoiler:
James coming out of the shell that his mother's suicide created, and Alyssa learning to trust another human being again after a lifetime of betrayals. James needed to sacrifice himself for Alyssa in order to complete his story, IMHO. And Alyssa seeing James make the ultimate sacrifice for another person should help her emerge from her equally thick shell. Pulling out of that ending in season 2 will just destroy the hope and tragedy that all of season 1 built up.

And you can't possibly have this show with any other actors/characters than James and Alyssa. They are the reason I'm still mulling the show over 3 days after finishing it.

edit: although a season 2 just about Frodo might work. Dude was hilarious. But name it something else.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Trailer is awesome. Added to watchlist.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Watched the first Letterman interview with Obama. May not agree with everything he did but at least he could form sentences.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Thought that was a great interview.