Netflix Instant Watch Recommendations

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

tjg_marantz

Re: Netflix Instant Watch Recommendations

Post by tjg_marantz »

These are all under the Ultra HD 4K menu. Is Netflix saying that HDR means 4K and HDR and Ultra HD 4K doesn't have HDR?

Yes
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I had to do some more Googling, since there wasn't a real clear answer with my first couple searches, but that's the conclusion I also came to. Thanks.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:30 am Holy crap, Altered Carbon is good.
I watched the first episode over the weekend and really enjoyed it. I had low expectations, but I think this could be a win for them.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:42 pm
I watched the first episode over the weekend and really enjoyed it. I had low expectations, but I think this could be a win for them.
It got some lukewarm reviews from some places but this is a show that is worth trying out and judging for yourself. I’m enjoying it and want my own AI sidekick like Poe.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:10 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:42 pm
It got some lukewarm reviews from some places but this is a show that is worth trying out and judging for yourself. I’m enjoying it and want my own AI sidekick like Poe.
Finished Altered Carbon on the plane today. One hell of an ending that went in ways I didn’t expect. It’s a fantastic show, easily my favorite Netflix exclusive so far.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I watched the first episode and was not getting into it at all. With all this positive buzz I'm going to have to sit through at least two more episodes.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The big thing that make Altered Carbon a hit with me is that it takes the tired conceit of humans digitizing their essence and the resulting question of what makes us human, and takes it in a slightly different direction by concentrating on the bodies we inhabit. It's not your standard "oh look, he's now in a computer, all hail Lawnmower Man!" approach. That we remain ourselves and we remain human is a foregone conclusion in this world. It's all about the possibilities when the limitations of the flesh (and more importantly, death)isn't quite as meaningful as it once was.

...and kickass AI hotels that will deploy military grade weaponry to defend your ass if you book a room.

Poe is indeed the man.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, maybe that's what was interesting to me about this. Unlike the WestWorld or Humans (AMC) approach (exploring what makes us human), after the first episode of Altered Carbon I was left wondering what a world would be like where you have a select group of individuals that were functionally immortal.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Just finished the 7th episode of Altered Carbon, and it just keeps getting better.

I think one thing I really like about it that's a particular pet peeve of mine when it comes to sci fi is that they didn't try to remake the entire world. The production design has a very realistic feeling mashup of high technology with the familiar that ties things to our world nicely. Granted given how far in the future AC is set they could easily have taken more liberties, but I just hate it when a sci fi movie or show is set 10 years in the future, and inexplicably human aesthetics have completely changed.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Screenwriter Jeff Howard Talks ‘Before I Wake,’ Personal Tragedy, And Netflix Bringing Back Mid-Level Film
“Netflix is such a great place to be,” Flanagan says.

“What’s working with them like?” I ask.

“Nothing.”

“What do you mean? They’re completely hands-off?”

“Well, they transferred the money to an account and Mike went off and made the film!”

I had heard rumors that this was how Netflix operated, but it was shocking to hear it stated matter of factly. Typically, studios interfere with films. The more money they invest, the more they interfere. The less money a studio spends, the less they tend to interfere, but usually there is still some kind of interference.

Howard continued: “Yeah. They’re just yes or no. They work with people that they think are going to bring them something they want. They don’t develop stuff, they leave it up to the creators. And really they’ve brought back the mid-level film. Because they have essentially a captive audience with their subscribers, who obviously want new content all the time, they can take risks on films that aren’t small but also aren’t these ridiculously expensive ventures.”

It’s clearly working. Variety reported: “Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos confirmed plans to release as many as 80 movies, both acquisitions and its own productions, in 2018 that will range from ‘tentpole’-sized movies like ‘Bright’ to much smaller titles including ‘I Don’t Feel At Home In This World Anymore,’ which was well received at the Sundance Film Festival last year.”
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:25 pm I finished Cloverfield Paradox over lunch. That was... not great.
It was the poor man’s Event Horizon. Although I did get a chuckle out of Donal Logue’s scene. It was this film’s version of Raymond Burr in the original Godzilla. You know he was paid to show up for one day, work the new title of the movie into his monologue and let everyone know bad things were about to happen.
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Joel McHale is doing a weekly show modeling his previous show The Soup.
:pop:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

If you ever think your job is terrible, just picture having to watch all of the talk shows and reality TV to pull clips for Talk Soup. That's right there with working at a children's museum for me.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

McNutt wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:58 am If you ever think your job is terrible, just picture having to watch all of the talk shows and reality TV to pull clips for Talk Soup. That's right there with working at a children's museum for me.
Yeah. I dated a girl who worked for the production company that did a couple of reality shows several years ago. She started as a transcriber, watching every minute of footage and had to type up everything that was said and done so the editors and producers could quickly reference them. That was lonely, soul-crushing work. I imagine it's dialed up to 11 for Talk Soup.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Two seasons of The Frankenstein Chronicles just showed up. I watched the first episode and it’s pretty good...at least better than the Alienist. Set in 1800s England, it centers around Sean “I’m usually dead by the 20 minute mark” Bean as a detective investigating a series of murders involving bodies made up of numerous victims.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just watched the first (of 13) weekly episode of The Joel McHale Show with Joel McHale and enjoyed it quite a bit. We were fans of the Soup so it was a bit surreal to see him slip back into that role without missing a beat.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now imagine Greg Kinnear going back to it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We started watching it at the tail end of the John Henson years, right through Hal Sparks. Didn't watch the Aisha Tyler years (I think because we were in school), but started up again with Joel in 2004 and became fans of his. Excellent source of junk TV.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:17 pmThe Toys That Made Us series is utterly fascinating.
According to GeekDad, the second half of the first season will air in June and it will cover the Transformers, LEGO, Hello Kitty, and Star Trek. I'm really looking forward to it.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I watched Cloverfield Paradox last night. I thought it was great! Exceeded my expectations which I will admit were low. Probably also helped that I really enjoyed the first two Cloverfields. It was well done.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

USA Today: April's comings and goings.
Leaving April 15

Happy Tree Friends
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Monty Python is coming to Netflix yo
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

tjg_marantz wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:32 pm Monty Python is coming to Netflix yo
I’ll not have things getting silly.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

tjg_marantz wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:32 pm Monty Python is coming to Netflix yo
I demand a shrubbery!
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

But not too nice.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:01 pm
I demand a shrubbery!
No you don't.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

That argument sketch is the first one I thought of. Such a classic.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Just finished Babylon Berlin. Awesome Weimar Republic era show. It's starts small, expands scope as it goes. Great acting, cinematography, etc. Just a wonderful German show. 16 episodes.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Toe

Post by Toe »

Me and the wife finished Altered Carbon this weekend. While it started off strong, we felt it weakened considerably as time went by and just fizzled out toward the end. Some of the supporting actors where just plain awful (like the actress playing his sister). I would give it 4 tentacles out of 8.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I still found the world building to be quite good. But let's face it: it's all about Poe, baby.
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Toe wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:55 am Some of the supporting actors where just plain awful (like the actress playing his sister).
I just can't wrap my head around that sentiment. I thought Dichen Lachman was fantastic. The fight scene between her and Ortega was incredible.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought the wardrobe department really did a fantastic job on that fight scene.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This Friday Netflix debuts what looks like a fun popcorn flick. The Titan.
In the near future, a military family uproot their lives so they can participate in a ground-breaking experiment to accelerate man’s genetic evolution. The goal? To relocate humanity to another planet and avoid extinction. Starring Sam Worthington, Taylor Schilling, Tom Wilkinson and Nathalie Emmanuel.
Ah Nathalie Emmanuel. :wub:

Anyway, I love me a good creature feature, so I'm on this like Titan on Saturn.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I am sure that everything in that experiment will go smoothly.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

A ninety minute film about the volunteers suffering embarrassing bouts of diarrhea and mild headaches would make for a pretty damn boring film.

...although I'm sure JJ Abrams could make it work with some lens flare.
Covfefe!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The Wild Wild Country is a great 6 part documentary about an Eastern religious group/cult that came to Oregon from India in the early 1980’s to start their own commune/city but over time descended into paranoid madness, leading to attempted local govt takeovers, planned assassinations of state and federal govt officials and to the largest bio terrorist attack in US history. I remember this because the leader tried to flee the country and was captured in Charlotte, NC, where I lived at time and it hit a lot of local press. It’s fascinating and hard to stop watching. The first episode is a bit slow but it rapidly builds from there.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

just watched the first episode last night and I'm pretty shocked I've never heard of this.

look forward to getting into the meat of the story.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess I put the info in the wrong thread. With three different Netflix..es, it's easy to become confused. :D
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Heck, to be honest, I didn’t even realize there are 3 Netflix threads. I just posted in the first one I saw.

Anyway, the documentary is fascinating, but you really have to take what everyone says with a grain of salt. There is no questioning by the interviewers so everyone is just free to say what they want. That’s both a strength and weakness because there no confrontation when someone lies or shades the truth,

A great example of this is the former Rajneesh lawyer, Niren. He comes off as a sympathetic character, a true believer, rather soft spoken, sincere type who just loves and admires the Bhagwan, and who throws a lot of stuff on Sheela. But if you read his actions and words in a number of court depositions he handles as the cult attorney, you quickly see that he was just as much of an a** hole as Sheela was, and was probably much more involved and aware of things than he lets on in the interviews.

I would recommend reading a 20 part series by the Oregonian either while or after watching the series. I think it will give an additional counterpoint to some of the interviews.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:37 pm A ninety minute film about the volunteers suffering embarrassing bouts of diarrhea and mild headaches would make for a pretty damn boring film.

...although I'm sure JJ Abrams could make it work with some lens flare.
He can collaborate with Michael Bay and have Explosive bouts of diarrhea!
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us