Netflix Instant Watch Recommendations

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: Netflix Instant Watch Recommendations

Post by $iljanus »

Sepiche wrote:Watched the new series Russian Doll last week starring the always interesting Natasha Lyonne. Thought it was great all the way through, although, without spoiling anything, I thought the ending was a little bit of a letdown, but I suspect that has more to do with my preferences than anything with the show.
If they ended the series that way I would have thought, "Oh okay then. Good yet underwhelming at the end." However, there's another season planned so the ending works for me.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My brother got me hooked on those odd Australian shows that Netflix snaps up and throws out there for our mindless entertainment.

This week it's been "Clash of the Collectables" (and yes, that's how they spell it down under).

In each episode, two antique experts (one from Australia, one from the UK) are given an equal amount of money and are free to buy as much as they can up to their allotted sum. Their haul is then auctioned off, and whoever makes the biggest profit wins that round. Over the course of ten episodes, the expert who wins the most rounds is declared the champion.

I love antiques shows in general, but it's particularly fascinating to watch these two gentlemanly old codgers face off. The real charm of the show is watching them interact and haggle with dealers, as well as learning about the eccentric variety of things they purchase. If there's any weak spot, it's the end of show auction which is performed just for the show and is made up of many of the same bidders each episode. I'd have liked that to have been a bit more realistic and less prone to staging for drama, but it's still good clean fun.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

YellowKing wrote:My brother got me hooked on those odd Australian shows that Netflix snaps up and throws out there for our mindless entertainment.

This week it's been "Clash of the Collectables" (and yes, that's how they spell it down under).

In each episode, two antique experts (one from Australia, one from the UK) are given an equal amount of money and are free to buy as much as they can up to their allotted sum. Their haul is then auctioned off, and whoever makes the biggest profit wins that round. Over the course of ten episodes, the expert who wins the most rounds is declared the champion.

I love antiques shows in general, but it's particularly fascinating to watch these two gentlemanly old codgers face off. The real charm of the show is watching them interact and haggle with dealers, as well as learning about the eccentric variety of things they purchase. If there's any weak spot, it's the end of show auction which is performed just for the show and is made up of many of the same bidders each episode. I'd have liked that to have been a bit more realistic and less prone to staging for drama, but it's still good clean fun.
Oh I thought, and keep in mind that I'm not judging, that you started binge watching Yummy Mummies. And no, not the Egyptian kind.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

$iljanus wrote:Oh I thought, and keep in mind that I'm not judging, that you started binge watching Yummy Mummies. And no, not the Egyptian kind.
I haven't quite stooped that low, but I did get roped into a few episodes of "Back With the Ex."
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

YellowKing wrote:
$iljanus wrote:Oh I thought, and keep in mind that I'm not judging, that you started binge watching Yummy Mummies. And no, not the Egyptian kind.
I haven't quite stooped that low, but I did get roped into a few episodes of "Back With the Ex."
I'll confess that the trailer for Yummy Mummies was like a car wreck unfolding in front of my eyes and I almost checked it out. But I was afraid that my Netflix recommendations would be screwed as soon as I would hit play.

Probably should create a watch of shame profile.
Black lives matter!

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Watched “The Little Hours” tonight. It’s supposedly a comedy about a convent that gets turned upside down when a new deaf-mute gardener arrives (Dave Franco). Figured that with Allison Brie, Aubrey Plaza, Kate Miccuci, and John C Reilly, it would be at least mildly entertaining.

Ended up being one of the most boring movies I’ve ever seen. It set a new standard for insufferably dull. I kept waiting for something - anything - interesting to happen and...nada. I want that 90 minutes of my life back.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Started the Umbrella Academy. TV-14, figuring it might be okay with younger kids (7 & 10) in the room. Nope nope. All it took was one good solid pencil to the eye and we changed the proverbial channel.

I thought it was interesting enough to watch, and I just need to find time to do that. I'm still sitting at 2 seasons left with Breaking Bad and the last 15 minutes of Polar. :? TV time is usually wife time, and she's in a place now where all she wants to watch is the Great British Baking Show, because anything else causes her stress levels to spike.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Paingod wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:48 pm Started the Umbrella Academy. TV-14, figuring it might be okay with younger kids (7 & 10) in the room. Nope nope. All it took was one good solid pencil to the eye and we changed the proverbial channel.
Thank You! Was just about to walk into the same exact trap. :horse:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TV-14
This program contains some material that many parents would find unsuitable for children under 14 years of age.
Programs rated TV-14 may contain some material that parents or adult guardians may find unsuitable for children under the age of 14. The FCC warns that "Parents are cautioned to exercise some care in monitoring this program and are cautioned against letting children under the age of 14 watch unattended." Programs with this rating contain crude humor, drug/alcohol use, moderate language, strong violence (may include some amounts of blood and gore), intense sexual content and moderate suggestive themes or dialogue.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:00 pm Image
Enlarge Image
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Finished Umbrella Academy the other day, and really enjoyed it all the way through. Some fairly obvious twists over the course of it, but there were also quite a few I didn't see coming.

I can also see a lot of seeds for conflicts in further seasons that give me hope new seasons will be as good as the first:
Spoiler:
The whole thing leaves off on a massive cliffhanger, but there are numerous things I can see them expanding on:
- More details about the time commission
- Vonya has gone from the ordinary team member to the most powerful, while Allison has lost her powers setting up an interesting flip of roles
- How did Ben die?
- Klaus' powers seem to be maturing
- Hargreeves wife + more of his secrets
- Only 7 of 43 infants are part of the Academy, might we see some who grew up on their own?

It's a fascinating universe with lots of interesting ideas and characters to explore.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I binged through 6 episodes of Umbrella Academy last night. While I think they could do better at moving the story a little quicker, I've really enjoyed it so far. Some of the twists have been fantastic, and I can't wait to see how it ends.

I'd also add my surprise at the TV-14 rating. There's lots of fairly graphic violence, extensive drug use, and language (although no F-bombs) that I probably wouldn't be showing to an early teen. YMMV.

EDIT: Finished this on the plane today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Plot took some interesting twists that I didn’t really expect, and the cliffhanger ending was well executed. Definitely get a thumbs up from me.
Laura

Post by Laura »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:29 pm My brother got me hooked on those odd Australian shows that Netflix snaps up and throws out there for our mindless entertainment.

Thanks for recommending this. I doubt I would have discovered it otherwise. I have watched eight episodes and am loving it. The two old codgers make the show, though I am interested in antiques. I enjoy critiquing their selections, thinking "great choice" or "you don't want to buy that" and then seeing if I am right.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Watched BEHIND THE CURVE, the Flat Earther documentary that just came out. Really fascinating look at some of the crackpots out there. To the film's credit, it never delves into ridiculing or belittling these people, as much as I wanted it to. :D
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:56 pm I binged through 6 episodes of Umbrella Academy last night. While I think they could do better at moving the story a little quicker, I've really enjoyed it so far. Some of the twists have been fantastic, and I can't wait to see how it ends.

I'd also add my surprise at the TV-14 rating. There's lots of fairly graphic violence, extensive drug use, and language (although no F-bombs) that I probably wouldn't be showing to an early teen. YMMV.

EDIT: Finished this on the plane today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Plot took some interesting twists that I didn’t really expect, and the cliffhanger ending was well executed. Definitely get a thumbs up from me.
Binged the last three episodes last night and thoroughly enjoyed it and the messy time travelling mayhem. Bring on season 2! :D

So... do have something I didn't understand at all. Spoilered just in case but let's say it centers around the original of Vanya's violin. Sorta.
Spoiler:
We get to see a younger version of Dad with this dying wife and it's her violin that she wants him to take with him when he leaves. He picks up some jar with glowy things in it and walks by a window with what I assume are ICBM / nuclear missiles launching outside. Open jar, glowy things escape and fade to... London in an earlier time? As in time travel? I'm guessing it's supposed to help with the whole "how did Dad know about the apocalypse?" thing but :?
-mf
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:54 am
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:56 pm I binged through 6 episodes of Umbrella Academy last night. While I think they could do better at moving the story a little quicker, I've really enjoyed it so far. Some of the twists have been fantastic, and I can't wait to see how it ends.

Binged the last three episodes last night and thoroughly enjoyed it and the messy time travelling mayhem. Bring on season 2! :D

So... do have something I didn't understand at all. Spoilered just in case but let's say it centers around the original of Vanya's violin. Sorta.
Spoiler:
We get to see a younger version of Dad with this dying wife and it's her violin that she wants him to take with him when he leaves. He picks up some jar with glowy things in it and walks by a window with what I assume are ICBM / nuclear missiles launching outside. Open jar, glowy things escape and fade to... London in an earlier time? As in time travel? I'm guessing it's supposed to help with the whole "how did Dad know about the apocalypse?" thing but :?
Spoiler:
I think the rockets are supposed to be people escaping from a dying world.

Post by Default »

Jeeeeeeebus, fast Korean zombies.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh damn. Now I want a season 2 of Umbrella Academy. Like...tomorrow.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Default wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:59 pm Jeeeeeeebus, fast Korean zombies.
They are not to be trifled with. Especially the cute little blood smeared ones.
Black lives matter!

Toe

Post by Toe »

I watched all 6 episodes of the korean horror series Kingdom over the weekend. Started out rather slow (as asian stuff often does) but really picked up in eps 3 and 4. A bit disappointed with the final episode as it seems it spent most of the time building up to an epic cliffhanger. Overall I would recommend to any genre lovers (zombie horror) as some of the set pieces were really epic in scale and the cinematography was top notch.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:24 pm
MonkeyFinger wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:54 am

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I think the rockets are supposed to be people escaping from a dying world.
Ah... thanks. I can go with that. :wink:
-mf
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sepiche wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:30 pm My wife had an extra hard day of work the other day and was looking through Netflix for something to help her unwind and came across a new anime series called Aggretsuko and I couldn't have written a show better to help her through her troubles at work... she keeps saying Retsuko is her spirit animal now.

Season 2 is out.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Golem just showed up. I was about to pay to rent it on Amazon, so the timing was fortuitous. It received decent word of mouth and I’ve been dying to see it.

It’s a low budget monster film. I was afraid it might be slower like The Witch (which I loved, but do admit it’s an awful slow burn), but it has a few action pieces. The Golem itself isn’t quite what you expect...which makes the moments he goes badass even more fun. They made a completely unique version of the old tale.

I liked it and recommend it for any horror fan. I also believe that any remake of the Omen films has already found its new Damien. Good lord.
He won. Period.
Formix

Post by Formix »

No Stranger Things discussion, yet?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Formix wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:51 pm No Stranger Things discussion, yet?
Only 3 eps in, shhhhhhhh! (we had to catch up on handmaid's tale first so we are a little behind.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

All I'm gonna say is that season 3 of Stranger Things is by far my favorite season so far. Absolutely fantastic from start to finish.

Conversely, season 3 of Jessica Jones has me hating every single goddamn character EXCEPT for the receptionist in Jessica's office. And not hate in a good way, but hate in a "why should I care one shit about you at all?" way. What a train wreck.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:56 pm Conversely, season 3 of Jessica Jones has me hating every single goddamn character EXCEPT for the receptionist in Jessica's office. And not hate in a good way, but hate in a "why should I care one shit about you at all?" way. What a train wreck.
But it's better than Iron Fist S2 right? come on, it has to be better. I am struggling to get through it. I am far more forgiving with Jessica. Danny and Colleen... gods...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Honestly? No. It's not. At least there were some decent fight scenes in S2 of Iron Fist. In JJ you can count yourself lucky if someone runs for a few seconds. It's like watching paint dry...if the paint was a cast of douche bag characters with zero charisma, shrill voices, petty problems with no real world context, and a story line ripped straight from an Uwe Boll film.

Nah, that last part is too mean.

...to Uwe Boll.
He won. Period.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Interesting. I thought Stranger Things 3 was fine, but didn't think it was quite as good as seasons 1 & 2. Maybe it's just not as novel to me anymore.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I finished Season 3 this afternoon and absolutely loved it. My favorite season so far as well.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:38 pm The Golem just showed up. I was about to pay to rent it on Amazon, so the timing was fortuitous. It received decent word of mouth and I’ve been dying to see it.

It’s a low budget monster film. I was afraid it might be slower like The Witch (which I loved, but do admit it’s an awful slow burn), but it has a few action pieces. The Golem itself isn’t quite what you expect...which makes the moments he goes badass even more fun. They made a completely unique version of the old tale.

I liked it and recommend it for any horror fan. I also believe that any remake of the Omen films has already found its new Damien. Good lord.
I just watched this last night myself. I didn't enjoy it as much as you but I thought it was OK. I had heard it described as a horror movie but I didn't get that from it. I mean, I'm not sure what I would classify it as. Historical fiction with a supernatural element? Mythology?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s more like The Babadook (especially since it includes the motherhood angle) and It Follows in that it’s more arthouse horror than outright horror. If you go in expecting Insidious 4 or Annabelle 27, it will probably disappoint. But at least the monster is actually a monster and not just an allegorical attempt to explain loss.

Another good, low budget horror film on Netflix is Lifechanger. A shape changer who has to kill to survive tries to connect with a human he/she/it believes they love. Slow and thoughtful, but surprisingly gory.
He won. Period.
naednek

Post by naednek »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:56 pm All I'm gonna say is that season 3 of Stranger Things is by far my favorite season so far. Absolutely fantastic from start to finish.

Conversely, season 3 of Jessica Jones has me hating every single goddamn character EXCEPT for the receptionist in Jessica's office. And not hate in a good way, but hate in a "why should I care one shit about you at all?" way. What a train wreck.
I felt the last few episodes of JJ was pretty good, but overall a boring season.

Season 3 of Stranger Things is by far my favorite even though there wasn't much mystery. The characters and settings just clicked, and it was just fun. I wish they made more episodes more than 8. Maybe 10 or 12.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think the brevity of the season worked in its favor. The story never felt padded. It knew the tale it wanted to tell and it told it without meandering too far off course (I will say I was beginning to think the Dustin side story was a miss early on, but they pulled it back into the main story without missing a beat).

I do agree with some critics though that the Hopper character seemed a little too abusive at times towards those he loved. He came across as a rage machine at times. But again, they pulled back towards the end and wrapped it up nicely.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I just finished S3 of Stranger Things last night and enjoyed it quite a bit - more than S2. This season felt more like an 8 hour movie instead of a series of 50 minute episodes, all chopped up into discrete elements. I thought the subtle head-nods to movies like The Thing, The Blob and even the Terminator were great.

As expected, I did see that Netflix officially said it's getting one more season and then it's ending. Not really surprising.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:45 pm It’s more like The Babadook (especially since it includes the motherhood angle) and It Follows in that it’s more arthouse horror than outright horror. If you go in expecting Insidious 4 or Annabelle 27, it will probably disappoint. But at least the monster is actually a monster and not just an allegorical attempt to explain loss.

Another good, low budget horror film on Netflix is Lifechanger. A shape changer who has to kill to survive tries to connect with a human he/she/it believes they love. Slow and thoughtful, but surprisingly gory.
See, I would say the Babadook was a horror movie a lot more than the Golem. There isn’t much suspense and the scenes of violence are filmed more like an action movie than something that is supposed to inspire dread. I guess the difference for me is that the “bad thing” here was a protector first and a monster second. If you are rooting for the monster to win, can it be really be horror? There is really only one instance in the movie where it does something bad that was not done in self-defense.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Lordnine wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:17 am I guess the difference for me is that the “bad thing” here was a protector first and a monster second. If you are rooting for the monster to win, can it be really be horror? There is really only one instance in the movie where it does something bad that was not done in self-defense.
The very first scene in the film was
Spoiler:
of the first Golem standing amidst the dead bodies of villagers he was supposed to have protected, but had instead killed.
Then
Spoiler:
one of the first acts by the Golem created by the mother was the slaughter of an innocent woman who the mother was simply jealous of
and finally
Spoiler:
during the final battle, when the Golem broke loose from the rabbi, he just started slaughtering indiscriminately

The ONLY thing that remotely kept him in check was the presence of the mother...and even then you could tell he was anxious to break loose and just kill . He was an instrument of pure violence, not a protector. I'm not sure why you would be rooting for the Golem in this film. He's a weapon without a soul. He just happens to take the form of the dead son of the mother.

Frankenstein is considered a horror story, and its creature is far more sympathetic than the Golem.
He won. Period.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:34 am
Lordnine wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:17 am I guess the difference for me is that the “bad thing” here was a protector first and a monster second. If you are rooting for the monster to win, can it be really be horror? There is really only one instance in the movie where it does something bad that was not done in self-defense.
The very first scene in the film was
Spoiler:
of the first Golem standing amidst the dead bodies of villagers he was supposed to have protected, but had instead killed.
Then
Spoiler:
one of the first acts by the Golem created by the mother was the slaughter of an innocent woman who the mother was simply jealous of
and finally
Spoiler:
during the final battle, when the Golem broke loose from the rabbi, he just started slaughtering indiscriminately

The ONLY thing that remotely kept him in check was the presence of the mother...and even then you could tell he was anxious to break loose and just kill . He was an instrument of pure violence, not a protector. I'm not sure why you would be rooting for the Golem in this film. He's a weapon without a soul.

Frankenstein is considered a horror story, and its creature is far more sympathetic than the Golem.
I guess because it’s a weapon without a soul? Frankenstein’s monster was exactly my though as well as it's mostly reactionary instead of something sinister. There is no malice in its actions. I never got the feeling that it did want to break away and kill. It's only action on its own was to play with the doll. Everything else came from the desires of the mother or as its own defense. I think the link shared between the mother and golem was key here. As they shared each others pain, the Golem also shared the mothers desires but without the societal/morale constraints put in place. An interesting thought, even the doll and self defense may have been inspired by the mother, since it is from her mourning of her son and desire to keep him alive.

As for the third spoiler,
Spoiler:
was it actually indiscriminately? It looked like to me that most of the villagers were already dead at that point. I only recall it explicitly attacking the attackers. Even if it was indiscriminately, the mother hated a large portion of the village at that point so the golems actions would have been in line with the above.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Watch the ending again.
Spoiler:
It's killing whatever is in front of it. That's why the mother finally decides to stop him.
As for being reactionary, a gun is only fired when someone pulls the trigger...but what it hits after that is beyond the control of the person who pointed it. That's the Golem. The mother had a modicum of control over it, but it wasn't acting out her best intentions. It was made to kill. It didn't care who. That's why
Spoiler:
the old healer who was the little girl who tried to stop it in the first scene of the film when she saw that it had killed the very people it was created to protect, warned the mother that she had just brought death into their village.

And I don't think the mother hated the villagers. She just hated the rules that kept her in check.
He won. Period.