Netflix Instant Watch Recommendations

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

AWS260

Re: Netflix Instant Watch Recommendations

Post by AWS260 »

Thumbs-up for To All the Boys I've Loved Before, a well-crafted teenage romantic comedy. Girl writes secret love letters to her crushes in her diary, the letters are accidentally sent to the boys, hijinks ensue. It won't change your life, it's just a sweet, light, well-acted movie.

The lead actor, Lana Condor, is fantastic. (You may know her as Jubilee in the last crappy X-Men movie, in which she barely appeared and did absolutely nothing.) She has tons of natural charisma, and hopefully this will lead to meatier parts in the future.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The Surrounding Game, a documentary about the game of Go. I've had a long fascination with this game because I've never had the patience to learn it.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Holman

Post by Holman »

Bojack Horseman Season 5 releases 9/14.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Holman wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:32 am Bojack Horseman Season 5 releases 9/14.
I will be binge watching this and Norm MacDonald's new show this weekend. :pop:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Holman wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:32 am Bojack Horseman Season 5 releases 9/14.
Binged all 12 episodes. Damn, that has to be some of the best TV show writing I can remember in a long time. The funeral episode, the Halloween party episode, and the non-stop subtly is brilliant. I love that they don't explain the jokes.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I just finished watching the premiere season of The Dragon Prince, an animated series from part of the team that did Avatar: The Last Airbender. I really enjoyed it, my only complaint is that it's a painfully brief 9 episodes and I need more. Supposedly they have the overall story ready to go if it does well and gets renewed.

Generally captured the same feeling as Avatar. Kid friendly and some goofy humor but there's a good story, interesting characters and darker themes as well. No first-episode penguin surfing either.

Two thumbs up from a 46 year old, 16 y/o son and 8 y/o daughter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Seconded from 38 yo and 6/4 yo daughters.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Thirdeded from a 48 year old and a 7 year old son.

We also started watching "Hilda" and are 3 chapters in. Many narcotics were most likely consumed in the creation. Very original and great animation. Voice acting is great.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Endless just showed up on Netflix. I rented it a while back on Vudu and loved it. It's set in the same universe and gives the audience a different look at the writing/directing team's first film, Resolution, which I believe received some good word of mouth around here. 95 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. Catch it if you like good science fiction/horror with a fun mystery. It does start slow, but as soon as it kicks into gear it doesn't stop until the credits roll.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The characters and events in the doc Operation Odessa makes the Wolf of Wall St seem quaint.

Must see. And watch through the end credits.

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Final warning that Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown is slated to leave Netflix as of Oct 1. I never got around to watching it, so I've spent the last month frantically binging the entire thing. I think I'll just barely finish it off before the deadline. If you can, watch a few episodes before it goes. It's very good.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just got notification that Season 2 of Norsemen went live today. I'm thrilled...had no idea that was coming.

In case you missed it, Norsemen is an absolutely hilarious Norwegian parody of Vikings. I can't recommend Season 1 highly enough.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Hilarious, thanks for sharing. Will be adding that to my watchlist. The Michael Scott of Norse Chieftains in effect! "P
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:41 pm Just got notification that Season 2 of Norsemen went live today. I'm thrilled...had no idea that was coming.

In case you missed it, Norsemen is an absolutely hilarious Norwegian parody of Vikings. I can't recommend Season 1 highly enough.
Whoo hoo! That was a really pleasant surprise for me earlier this year. I watched it on a lark and ended up binge watching most of it. The low key, dry humor is offset with some really absurd moments. Two big thumbs up for this one.
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Watched the first two episodes last night, and this season picks up perfectly where the last one left off.

The discussion about defining values and creating a mission statement for the Viking raiding party, "prosthetic hands", and figuring out why Arvid's wife didn't get pregnant had me in stitches.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Thanks for the recommendation. I just started the first season.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

China Salesman, but only for minutes 8-12 to watch Mike Tyson fight Steven Seagal. :pop:
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Started watching Norsemen as well based on the recommendation, and it's not bad!

Feels like Vikings meets the humor and pacing of The Office.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Apostle with Legion’s Dan Stevens is a great twist on the “blood cult” type story. And it only serves to reinforce my opinion that Stevens is one of the best actors working today. It doesn’t hurt that the equally great Michael Sheen is his costar.

He plays an Englishman in the early 1900s who sails to an island of religious fanatics to retrieve his kidnapped sister. It piles on the dread at a slow but steady rate. Two big thumbs up for this one. It’s almost Lovecraftian at times.
Covfefe!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Just finished The Haunting of Hillhouse tonight. It is shockingly good! Also, not at all what you would expect going into it. It is very reserved with its scares and spends a lot of time on character development and atmosphere. The ending is probably not what you would expect but manages to tie up all lose ends for a very satisfying conclusion.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Two episodes into Haunting of Hill House and I’m surprised how good this is. It’s got some genuinely creepy moments, but also a real story to support it.
Covfefe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We're halfway through Haunting of Hill House. It's a fantastic show. It's my type of horror: a lot of tension building with not a lot of gore.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

What do you use to stream Netflix? Apparently my Wii is not going to work after January. :x
Unfortunately, Nintendo will suspend all video streaming services on Wii - including the Netflix Channel - after January 30, 2019
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What the hell happened to Nintendo?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Also, I don't have a TV with an HDMI connection. So do I wait until the Super Bowl TV sales begin, or Black Friday, or Christmas sales to purchase something like this:

TCL 55S517 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2018 Model)
Enlarge Image
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

We bought our tv last year in September and there was a sale within the month so they price matched. From what I remember, October is as good a time as any. Most black Friday deals are for lower end models unless you get lucky. Check Amazon and camel camel camel the price to see the history.

Of course, v prices will always drop eventually, you just have to go for it eventually.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

“Absolutely Anything” popped up in my reccomendations list today, I’m sure as a result of watching so much Monty Python lately. An R-rated British comedy with Simon Pegg, Kate Beckensdale, Eddie Izzard, all the surviving Pythons, Rob Riggle, directed by Terry Jones...and Robin Williams doing voice work as a dog. How have I never heard of this before, it’s like my dream movie! Queued it up to watch on the plane today.

Tl;dr version: aliens plan to to destroy earth but give them one last chance to redeem themselves by giving a random person (Pegg) the ability to do anything with the wave of his hand, and seeing if he does anything good with it. If he does, then hurrah, humanity is saved.

Given the talent level involved, that might be the most dissapointing movie ever created. It’s painfully unfunny, poorly paced, and just never clicks at all. So sad to see that much comedic genius in one place...and do absolutely nothing with it. :(
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m about 4 episodes into the final season of House of Cards and the story is pretty awful. Two dimensional villains that should be twirling a mustache, and really stupid plot holes. However, I’m gonna finish it because Robin Wright is fantastic. She’s really just amazing at times.
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Bumping Mics with Dave Attell and Jeff Ross

:lol:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Moliere wrote:Bumping Mics with Dave Attell and Jeff Ross
This was fantastic. I was going to just watch the first episode and ended up bingeing the whole thing.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:33 pm I’m about 4 episodes into the final season of House of Cards and the story is pretty awful. Two dimensional villains that should be twirling a mustache, and really stupid plot holes. However, I’m gonna finish it because Robin Wright is fantastic. She’s really just amazing at times.
That's frustrating to hear. I'm of the opinion that they should have wrapped things up with season 4. The first three seasons were following the story of the British narrative, with a very similar setup. I feel that as the show got more popular, they felt the need to extend it indefinitely and lost the main plot thread that they had built up over those first seasons. They thinned it out and waited it out and missed their opportunity when the show was at its peak. Later seasons mostly feel like atmosphere that don't really lead up to much.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:36 am
hepcat wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:33 pm I’m about 4 episodes into the final season of House of Cards and the story is pretty awful. Two dimensional villains that should be twirling a mustache, and really stupid plot holes. However, I’m gonna finish it because Robin Wright is fantastic. She’s really just amazing at times.
That's frustrating to hear. I'm of the opinion that they should have wrapped things up with season 4. The first three seasons were following the story of the British narrative, with a very similar setup. I feel that as the show got more popular, they felt the need to extend it indefinitely and lost the main plot thread that they had built up over those first seasons. They thinned it out and waited it out and missed their opportunity when the show was at its peak. Later seasons mostly feel like atmosphere that don't really lead up to much.
That describes about 90% of TV shows out there.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

The new season of MST3K dropped just before Thanksgiving. On the whole I'd say it's even stronger than the first season with the Mac and Me episode being especially great.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, true. Many shows overstay their welcome. It's just I feel House of Cards to be a particularly interesting case and a tragic case of missed opportunity.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Await Further Instructions is on Netflix now. For a low budget British Horror/thriller you can’t go wrong with this one. It has its flaws, but it’s still a damn good movie if you like weird mysteries that turn into sci if horror.
Covfefe!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The documentary "Abducted in Plain Sight" is a fascinating and infuriating look at how a naive family in denial can be manipulated and abused by an evil charmer/manipulator into allowing their young daughter into being seduced by said evil person. I won't say more here but I was alternately fascinated and repelled by the story. So many WTF monents, hard to believe at times.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Watched the new series Russian Doll last week starring the always interesting Natasha Lyonne. Thought it was great all the way through, although, without spoiling anything, I thought the ending was a little bit of a letdown, but I suspect that has more to do with my preferences than anything with the show.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:28 am Await Further Instructions is on Netflix now. For a low budget British Horror/thriller you can’t go wrong with this one. It has its flaws, but it’s still a damn good movie if you like weird mysteries that turn into sci if horror.
Loved the setup.
Didn't like the resolution at all.
They could have taken the story in a couple of more interesting directions than they did.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I actually enjoyed it. It went full on horror at the end. It would have disappointed me had they
Spoiler:
gone with a more conventional ending full of soldiers arriving, a morality lesson on authority and toxic masculinity and a loose ending that promised a sequel at the expense of the film's final impact.

But it went balls to the wall horror and avoided all that.
The story had some issues, but ultimately I appreciated the execution.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:56 pm I actually enjoyed it. It went full on horror at the end. It would have disappointed me had they
Spoiler:
gone with a more conventional ending full of soldiers arriving, a morality lesson on authority and toxic masculinity and a loose ending that promised a sequel at the expense of the film's final impact.

But it went balls to the wall horror and avoided all that.
The story had some issues, but ultimately I appreciated the execution.
So maybe director Johnny Kevorkian is related to Doc...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter