Netflix Instant Watch Recommendations

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: Netflix Instant Watch Recommendations

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Hard to watch unless you’re a Trump voter. How far we’ve fallen.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Indeed.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

And I'm not even referring to the eloquence and ability to speak in complete and coherent sentences. That's just gravy, relatively. The obvious intelligence and THOUGHTFULNESS compared to the current shithead is astounding. To go from one to the other is...
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:41 pm The more I think about the show, the more I realize I don't want a season 2 of The End of the F** World. Not because I don't love the show, the characters, the story...but because it would cheapen all of season 1. I mean, where do you go from that ending?

The show is all about:
Spoiler:
James coming out of the shell that his mother's suicide created, and Alyssa learning to trust another human being again after a lifetime of betrayals. James needed to sacrifice himself for Alyssa in order to complete his story, IMHO. And Alyssa seeing James make the ultimate sacrifice for another person should help her emerge from her equally thick shell. Pulling out of that ending in season 2 will just destroy the hope and tragedy that all of season 1 built up.

And you can't possibly have this show with any other actors/characters than James and Alyssa. They are the reason I'm still mulling the show over 3 days after finishing it.

edit: although a season 2 just about Frodo might work. Dude was hilarious. But name it something else.
Just finished this, a really fantastic and fascinating show.

I agree with your thoughts on another season. Although i could see them maybe just doing a completely new story with some equally damaged characters.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I keep going back and watching a few scenes over again. The actors really did an amazing job.
He won. Period.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Just finished the show and also really liked it. Is there talk of a second season or is that just speculation?
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

DIRTY MONEY just launched, and halfway through the first episode I'm hooked.

It's a six-part docu-series on corporate scandals, starting with the Volkswagen emissions fraud. Really fascinating and expertly put together. It's produced by Alex Gibney of "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room" fame, so it's high quality stuff.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:12 pm I keep going back and watching a few scenes over again. The actors really did an amazing job.
The one that really gets me is:
Spoiler:
James' reaction to having to kill the dog that Leslie runs over.

Watching him go from killing animals for fun to someone who can't even bring himself to put a suffering animal out of it's misery was a stark example of how big an effect Alyssa had on him, and how much an actual human relationship had changed him.
My only real gripe with the show was that
Spoiler:
the relationship between the two detectives felt entirely forced and completely unnecessary. It didn't really add anything at all.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I can't argue that last quibble. It felt like they were trying to draw an analogy between the relationship between Alyssa and James, and the one between the detectives. But it just didn't work at all.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I just finished Narcos Season 3 and now there is a big hole in my TV life. I'm going to miss that show. Simply amazing.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

McNutt wrote:I just finished Narcos Season 3 and now there is a big hole in my TV life. I'm going to miss that show. Simply amazing.
Until season 4, you mean?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The Castlevania anime is really good. Reminds me of the old Vampire Hunter D movies.

Wish it was more than 4 episodes though...guess I’ll just have to wait until next season.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Finished DIRTY MONEY. Fantastic series, though the last two episodes shift tone quite drastically. The first four deal with well-known corporate scams with clear good guys and bad guys. The fifth episode deals with a maple syrup heist, which while fascinating, breaks with the previous episodes by painting a situation in which the moral lines are not so clearly drawn. And the last episode is just an expose on Donald Trump and his business practices. Required viewing for Trump voters.

True crime fans may want to check out LONG SHOT, a short 40-minute documentary about a man wrongly accused of murder and the incredible coincidences that led to both his arrest and his release. Along those same lines, THE CONFESSION TAPES features several stories of people who gave false confessions under duress - if you think nobody would ever confess to a murder they didn't commit, you don't know the tenacity of some police department interrogators.

I also started MYTHS & MONSTERS, a documentary series about the role of myth and legend in humankind. It's pretty standard fare (discussion of Joseph Campbell's theory of the Hero's Journey, etc.), but it features some gorgeous animations that are fun to watch.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Holy crap, Altered Carbon is good.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:30 am Holy crap, Altered Carbon is good.
Holy crap, forgot that dropped! And away we go...
-mf
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It is going to be really tough to avoid watching Altered Carbon in one marathon session.

Oh, and it’s not lost on me that a show about interchangeable bodies features more than one actor from Whedon’s series Dollhouse.
He won. Period.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Made the same observation to the wife: Hey, Dollhouse! Dollhouse. Dollhouse...
-mf
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would watch a series based entirely around Poe. The general concept of AI hotels is entertaining as hell.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:48 pm I would watch a series based entirely around Poe. The general concept of AI hotels is entertaining as hell.
Those scenes are some of the best parts of the series. The interpretation of AI culture is really fascinating.

I was moved by the Day of the Dead celebration.

The rich are still dicks in the far future.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The 3rd Cloverfield movie, The Cloverfield Paradox, will be available on Netflix once the Super Bowl ends.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote:The 3rd Cloverfield movie, The Cloverfield Paradox, will be available on Netflix once the Super Bowl ends.
Would you say I should track down the first two first or no need?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Probably not as the movie was unaffiliated with Cloverfield until some reshoots, apparently. And other than a few references, you didn’t need to have seen the first Cloverfield before seeing Cloverfield Lane.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cloverfield is a direct tie-in. 10 Cloverfield Lane is merely set in a shared universe.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I thought it (10 Cloverfield Lane) was quite good! Loved John Goodman and... Mary Elizabeth Winstead. :wub:
-mf
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:10 pm
pr0ner wrote:The 3rd Cloverfield movie, The Cloverfield Paradox, will be available on Netflix once the Super Bowl ends.
Would you say I should track down the first two first or no need?
Looks like they're tying the 3rd directly to the first. But it's been so long since Cloverfield that I don't remember all the details other than it being a Godzilla like monster.

10 Cloverfield Lane is a better movie but it only appears to be set in the same universe rather than being a direct sequel.
Hodor.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

How can this be a direct sequel if it wasn’t related at all to Cloverfield until the reshoot? I guess it could be, but doesn’t sound promising to force fit so much into the movie after already finished.
Black Lives Matter
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:27 pm How can this be a direct sequel if it wasn’t related at all to Cloverfield until the reshoot? I guess it could be, but doesn’t sound promising to force fit so much into the movie after already finished.
No, 10 Cloverfield Lane wasn't related until reshoots. The light Cloverfield tie-in on that is pretty obvious after you've seen it (you should see it, it's real good).
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Watched the first three episodes this morning. I’m hooked.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Was just coming here to post that I've watched the first couple episodes of Altered Carbon, and it's really good.

Writing in the first couple episodes was occasionally hit and miss, but still solid, and the acting, production values, and setting really propel it forward.

Any show that features an AI re-creation of Edgar Allen Poe as a main character gets high marks in my book.

And you can also see James Purefoy's dong if that's your thing.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Is it one of the 4k Netflix shows, or (just) 1080p?

I upgraded when I got a 4k tv, but it doesn't seem like enough netflix content is 4k to be worth the extra $$$... but I may wait to cancel if this is in 4k.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

It seems like all Netflix originals get an HDR pass, if not full 4K + HDR.
Hodor.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:27 pm

I upgraded when I got a 4k tv, but it doesn't seem like enough netflix content is 4k to be worth the extra $$$... but I may wait to cancel if this is in 4k.
I'm no expert, but from what I've read it is indeed 4k.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Sepiche wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:32 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:27 pm

I'm no expert, but from what I've read it is indeed 4k.
So basically you just stayed at a Holiday Inn last night is what you are saying? :coffee:

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:32 pm It seems like all Netflix originals get an HDR pass, if not full 4K + HDR.
I'm pretty sure that all their HDR stuff is 4K. I don't think they carry any non 4K HDR stuff. I know some games do that on the PS4, though.
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:27 pm I upgraded when I got a 4k tv, but it doesn't seem like enough netflix content is 4k to be worth the extra $$$... but I may wait to cancel if this is in 4k.
Really? I see quite a bit of it on Netflix. Pretty much anything with the words Netflix Original above the title is either HDR or just Ultra HD (i.e. 4K). And Netflix has a lot of those these days. :?
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:08 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:32 pm It seems like all Netflix originals get an HDR pass, if not full 4K + HDR.
I'm pretty sure that all their HDR stuff is 4K. I don't think they carry any non 4K HDR stuff. I know some games do that on the PS4, though.
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:27 pm I upgraded when I got a 4k tv, but it doesn't seem like enough netflix content is 4k to be worth the extra $$$... but I may wait to cancel if this is in 4k.
Really? I see quite a bit of it on Netflix. Pretty much anything with the words Netflix Original above the title is either HDR or just Ultra HD (i.e. 4K). And Netflix has a lot of those these days. :?
They have a 4k filter you can apply. Yes there's stuff, not as much as I'd like for it to cost 25%+ more ($13.99 vs $10.99)

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'll have to look again when I get home, but I could swear some stuff on the XBox One Netflix app just says HDR, and other stuff says Ultra 4K HDR.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I finished Cloverfield Paradox over lunch. That was... not great.

Travelers Season2, however, has been fun so far. Need to finish that so I can start Altered Carbon the way you are all talking...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:18 pm I'll have to look again when I get home, but I could swear some stuff on the XBox One Netflix app just says HDR, and other stuff says Ultra 4K HDR.
I know that you can technically have HDR without 4K (Horizon Dawn on the PS4 is HDR at HD), but I believe all Netflix HDR shows are also 4K. However, this article I found seems to indicate that Netflix may be showing HDR in just HD and not 4K if your bandwidth can't handle streaming at 4K:
This separation of resolution and HDR/WCG isn't just theory. Netflix and other services will stream non-4K HDR under certain circumstances. When you first start streaming an HDR show, often the video quality will start out lower and ramp up to 4K resolution -- but it's HDR the whole time. If your Internet bandwidth can't sustain 4K video, they'll send a lower resolution like 1080p or 720p -- but it stays in HDR. If your Internet is really bad, you might even get standard-definition HDR(!).
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

As I said I'll confirm when I get home but from what I remember some stuff, like Marvel TV series or Black Mirror, shows just HDR while stuff like Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul shows Ultra 4K HDR.

My bandwidth can handle 4K with no issues so I don't get why one show would show one format and another show shows something else.

I will say that I know international Netflix lists Star Trek Discovery as an HDR title but that's not getting streamed in 4K.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ok, so on my Netflix app on XBox One X, here are a few examples of shows that show Ultra HD 4K:
Breaking Bad
House of Cards
Planet Earth II
Master of Nine
Marcos

Things that just show HDR:
The Punisher
Godless
Luke Cage
Stranger Things

These are all under the Ultra HD 4K menu. Is Netflix saying that HDR means 4K and HDR and Ultra HD 4K doesn't have HDR?
Hodor.