Netflix Instant Watch Recommendations

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Netflix Instant Watch Recommendations

Post by hepcat »

Wait...wait...bear with me now...Bumblebee makes a cameo as a transformable toilet and hijinx ensue!
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Titan isn’t that good. It has a few interesting parts, but even then it just mimics far better films. It’s certainly not the worst thing I’ve seen, but it really doesn’t have anything going for it that I can recommend.
He won. Period.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Grifman wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:23 pm The Wild Wild Country is a great 6 part documentary about an Eastern religious group/cult that came to Oregon from India in the early 1980’s to start their own commune/city but over time descended into paranoid madness, leading to attempted local govt takeovers, planned assassinations of state and federal govt officials and to the largest bio terrorist attack in US history. I remember this because the leader tried to flee the country and was captured in Charlotte, NC, where I lived at time and it hit a lot of local press. It’s fascinating and hard to stop watching. The first episode is a bit slow but it rapidly builds from there.
Cannot +1 this enough.

Shortly after I moved to OR in 2015, I was on a team that took part in the Wild Canyon Games, which used to be held at the Young Life camp just outside Antelope. The WC Games was a multi-day team relay event, and I did the 10K and a day oh geo-caching. As I was running and roaming all over the terrain around the camp, I noticed all these ramshackle, abandoned buildings. Really creepy. It was only later that I found out that Young Life had taken over much of what used to be the Rajneesh compound, and all the old abandoned buildings were the living quarters for the old commune.

Very strange to be watching Wild Wild Country and recognizing some of that stuff.

Also, just went to dinner this week with some neighbors, and it turns out the husband sold anesthesia machines to the Rajneeshi back in the day. He met Ma Anand Sheela. Crazy,
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Not sure if this has already been mentioned in the thread, but The Frankenstein Chronicles. Just started watching it today and it's proving to be quite good. It's in the vein of Ripper Street, but I got bored by Ripper Street after the second season. It stars Sean Bean as a detective.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:32 pm Not sure if this has already been mentioned in the thread, but The Frankenstein Chronicles.... It stars Sean Bean as a detective.
So, just one Season, then?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Freyland wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:53 pm
Rumpy wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:32 pm Not sure if this has already been mentioned in the thread, but The Frankenstein Chronicles.... It stars Sean Bean as a detective.
That's what I was thinking! I thought it was written into his contract that he always dies at the end of the movie/season.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If he makes it past the opening credits, I just assume he’s sleeping with one of the studio heads.
He won. Period.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Rumpy wrote:Not sure if this has already been mentioned in the thread, but The Frankenstein Chronicles. Just started watching it today and it's proving to be quite good. It's in the vein of Ripper Street, but I got bored by Ripper Street after the second season. It stars Sean Bean as a detective.
Good stuff. Was hoping someone would dive in.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Moliere wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:56 pm
Freyland wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:53 pm
That's what I was thinking! I thought it was written into his contract that he always dies at the end of the movie/season.
Well, there are two seasons, so I assume he makes it to the second season being that he's the lead detective.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Also another recommendation: Glitch. It's an Australian series where several people that have been dead come back, but they're not zombies and appear normal trying to resume their lives, including the original mayor of the small town it's set in . A cop and a doctor try to get to the bottom why it's happening. It's quite entertaining and very well acted.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4192782/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The James Acaster 4-part special is phenomenal. Some of the most brilliant comedy I've seen in years. He's a master of the callback, so the whole thing works best if you watch all four parts in relatively close succession. He's *very* British so the accent is thick and a few of the slang references went over my head, but damn he has some genius material.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ok, going to do something slightly different: Going to recommend the new Netflix exclusive Benji movie. Hey, I did say it was going to be different. Last weekend I watched the movie, which is a straight up remake of the very first movie which was released in 1974. I just watched that version today to see how it compared.

First off: Both movies feature a kidnapping plot and an old house where the thieves operate, but everything else about them is completely different. I have to say, I think the original movie has aged badly. Everything about it comes off feeling very amateurish. The acting is just very flat and almost monotone.

Some have said that this new version is too dark for kids. They both have their dark moments, in fact. In the original movie, one of the thieves kicks a dog, which is never done in the remake. There's a scene in the remake where the dog is told to bugger off and leave them alone, which people have complained of being too dark for kids, but again, this same thing happens in the original movie, and both of them feature scenes with the dejected dog.

I feel the acting is much improved in the new movie, both by kids, adults and dogs. Some swear that the original movie is more charming and innocent, but that may be rose colored glasses speaking, as I actually found the new version more charming and relatable. Also, another thing the movie does better is its choice of setting. In the original movie we get a non-descript location, and I guess in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter, but in the remake they shot it in New Orleans, making it a bit more interesting to look at.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I thought the new Benji was great, and the kids loved it.

The sheer volume of kid entertainment you consume as a parent (either directly or indirectly) quickly educates you on the amount of garbage out there. So it's REALLY refreshing when a movie or show comes out that the whole family can enjoy and isn't just dumbed down slapstick. I'm not ashamed to admit when I like a kid's film, because quality kid stuff should get that recognition. If nothing else, to give parents who are half-insane from their 100th episode of Dora the Explorer some small sliver of hope that life is still worth living.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Agreed. And actually, I felt this movie had a lot to offer to adults as well. I was really impressed with how much they conveyed with facial expressions, both by the kids and the dog. Ok, so it might not win any Oscars, but I felt it was above average for this type of movie. There was actual depth rarely seen in movies of this type.

To top it off, that dog which must be a Yorkie, Morkie or something similar resembled my Sister's dog a lot.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just finished binging both seasons of Santa Clarita Diet. While I love Olyphant, I’ve never been a fan of Drew Barrymore. That has now changed, this show is fantastic.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:32 pm Just finished binging both seasons of Santa Clarita Diet. While I love Olyphant, I’ve never been a fan of Drew Barrymore. That has now changed, this show is fantastic.
+1 to this. The kids are also amazing. There's probably at least one moment every couple episodes where I had to pause the show because I was laughing so hard.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Nathan Fillion also steals every damn scene he’s in. The absurdity of his...situation is brilliant.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:32 pm Just finished binging both seasons of Santa Clarita Diet. While I love Olyphant, I’ve never been a fan of Drew Barrymore. That has now changed, this show is fantastic.
So I only got through 2 or 3 episodes and thought it was incredibly stupid. Does it change if you stick with it or is it just not for me? I ask you specifically because Drew Barrymore was my main problem with the show.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You're good to drop it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:37 am Nathan Fillion also steals every damn scene he’s in. The absurdity of his...situation is brilliant.
Absolutely. The first season was fun, but man the second season just took off from the opening on.

Olyphant can do just about anything it seems. Badass or comic sidekick. He’s fantastic. Drew I can take or leave, but she was okay in this.

As for the kids, they were strong throughout it all.

I tore through all of season 2 in about 3 days. Now I’m annoyed because I have to wait a year for more.

This show should not work, but it does. And very well at that.
He won. Period.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Through 4 episodes of Lost in Space and I really like it. It seems like they run from one disaster to another, but so fear I like all the characters. Posey’s Take on “Dr. Smith” is quite good, and a bit creepy and insidious. So far, so good.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m halfway through episode one and was just about to give up on it. But I’ll give it some more time with that thumbs up.
He won. Period.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The first episode was the weakest. The show got more interesting for me as it went on. There are a number of mysteries that develop that served to draw me in. And the characters grew on me. The kids are pretty good - the middle sister is my favorite - she’s a funny smart ass. The take on the robot is interesting also. So far so good.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I really hate Dr. Smith right now.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:47 am
So I only got through 2 or 3 episodes and thought it was incredibly stupid. Does it change if you stick with it or is it just not for me? I ask you specifically because Drew Barrymore was my main problem with the show.
Drew was just OK, but the rest of the cast more than makes up for it. I thought she did much better in season two, but is still the weakest link.

I also found the overall premise pretty damn funny from the start, so YMMV.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Grifman wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:57 pm The first episode was the weakest. The show got more interesting for me as it went on. There are a number of mysteries that develop that served to draw me in. And the characters grew on me. The kids are pretty good - the middle sister is my favorite - she’s a funny smart ass. The take on the robot is interesting also. So far so good.
Okay, it got much better after the intro of the robot. I’m looking forward to his back story now.

And Posey is always good.
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Grifman wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:23 pm The Wild Wild Country is a great 6 part documentary
Wild Wild Country - SNL
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Orbiter 9. Probably one of the best sci-fi and most original movies on Netflix. Just became available a few days ago. It's got a really interesting premise to it. I can't really talk much about it without giving it away, but it was pretty cerebral.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isn't the big reveal the same as the twist in
Spoiler:
The Ascension? They kind of give it away in the trailer, if so. Or is there another twist that makes it different in some way?
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, yes and no. I think Ascension was poorly executed. It might be a similar premise, but if so, I felt it was much better done here, and takes much less long to get to it. I remember Ascension took forever to get to that point. On the whole, this movie has a much different feel to it and it ends up exploring the effects one would have in such a situation. The initial premise is only about the first 15-min and it takes off from there. Overall, it was a more intelligent story than Ascension.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

And one of my favourite movies from last year was just released on Netflix: Loving Vincent. This is a movie that explores Van Gogh and his death. Sort of like a mystery, painted in the style of his paintings. Every single frame was painted by hand. It's a really beautiful movie. It was one of the nominations for best animated picture.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Finished Santa Clarita Diet last night. I was not expecting that ending. I did get another episode of Jonathan Slavin, which was nice.

Liv Hewson and Skyler Gisondo are excellent (Abby and Eric) and should both have some really good career options coming out of this.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:27 pm Finished Santa Clarita Diet last night. I was not expecting that ending. I did get another episode of Jonathan Slavin, which was nice.

Liv Hewson and Skyler Gisondo are excellent (Abby and Eric) and should both have some really good career options coming out of this.
I really felt that Gisondo was the star player this season. Almost every scene with him was gold.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Rumpy wrote:Orbiter 9. Probably one of the best sci-fi and most original movies on Netflix. Just became available a few days ago. It's got a really interesting premise to it. I can't really talk much about it without giving it away, but it was pretty cerebral.
Just watched this tonight. Good stuff. Go in without watching the trailer or reading anything more about it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just finished watching all 9 seasons of The Office. While the post-Michael stuff was hit and miss, I loved that show.

I always find myself a little bit sad after a long binge watch like that, knowing that you don’t get to spend any more time with those characters. :(
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Skinypupy wrote:Just finished watching all 9 seasons of The Office. While the post-Michael stuff was hit and miss, I loved that show.

I always find myself a little bit sad after a long binge watch like that, knowing that you don’t get to spend any more time with those characters. :(
One of my all time favorites and I still watch reruns almost nightly

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive just started going through this thread for my wife. She has Netflix now thanks to that refund and is interested in movies. But so far Im seeing series shows. Are there movies scattered about in here or is there a Netflix recommended movies thread? If not would anyone be interested in one?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Literally three posts up is a recommended movie. :)
stessier

Post by stessier »

You Magnificent Beast - by Greg Davies

I've been on something of a British comedy kick and just watched this one. It took me a few minutes to get it, but I really enjoyed it. Most of it was longer form jokes and stories rather than quick punchlines. Quite different from the comedy shows I'm used to, but had me laughing out loud a number of times.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I caught Wind River last night. Didn't realize this had come to Netflix. I had meant to watch it in the theater last year but never made it. Good stuff.

They really did a good job, considering that this is the first time that the MCU and Netflix serieses have been mashed up.