[HBO] True Detective

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

GreenGoo

Re: [HBO] True Detective

Post by GreenGoo »

Finished it last night.

I haven't read this thread or seen if anyone had further comments on season 3, but I feel like people were dissatisfied with the ending? The season finale of season 2 dragged on and on and on and I kept checking my watch, and a few times the season 3 finale felt a little long, but not nearly so bad. Several times I thought it could be wrapped up but kept going. With 5 minutes left I was satisfied and then it kept going and I got worried they were going to M.Night.shamalamadingdong it up in a bad way, but they managed not to screw it up in my opinion. We the viewers have our answer. That the characters never quite made it that far is completely fine for me.

Unlike season 1, which got weaker as it went along, season 3 actually got stronger, which was awesome. By the end I quite liked the old man with memory issues aspect, whereas it annoyed me at the beginning.

Also,
Spoiler:
I did not clue into the partner's situation until the beginning of episode 7. Up until then I just thought he was a cop with a heart of gold sympathetic for a man that was hurting. All the pieces were right there in front of me, I just never put them together until episode 7. Hell, he chases a skirt at the church and later is shown to be making a life with her. That divorce happens, especially to cops, is not unheard of. The Dad was married too and it is common knowledge today in 2010s that this behaviour was common place as self defense for decades, probably centuries.

Hell, the intro song changed right around then. Prior to that the intro song contains the line "I hide among you, well disguised". I mean, if that isn't a giant neon sign I don't know what is. Still though, they did such a good job of putting all the pieces in front of me without drawing me a map that it took me 6 episodes to get there. By the end there was no subtlety to it, but they still didn't say it out loud, which I liked. This seems to be a theme with the writer as season 2 contained some similar elements.

Too overt and I think I'm being insulted, too covert and I never pick up on it. This was done "just right" for me so that I could appreciate it without feeling like the director was punching me in the face with it.
I still liked the first season better, but season 3 started strong and got stronger. Season 2 is a completely separate entity that I struggle to even compare to the other 2.

My earliest tv memories are things like Dukes of Hazzard and Happy Days. That TV has evolved from that (and earlier, even more hamfisted shows) into shows like True Detective is an actual miraculous wonder.

Pretty amazing story telling. One thing that jumped out at me from the very beginning of the series is the writing. It felt several orders of magnitude above other critically acclaimed shows.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I could just be dense, but I didn't come to your spoilered conclusion at all. I guess it could make some sense for Stephen Dorff's character, but I'm not seeing it for Hays. :?:
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:04 pm This is important to you guys for some reason? The reason I don't know who these people are is that I have never seen them in anything, or enough things to notice.

So what?
Joking dude!

You should check out Halt And Catch Fire though, you might like it.

Scoot McNairy is in it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:50 pm I could just be dense, but I didn't come to your spoilered conclusion at all. I guess it could make some sense for Stephen Dorff's character, but I'm not seeing it for Hays. :?:
It's Dorff's I'm talking about. For me it took 6 episodes to realize. For others it may have been obvious, so maybe spoilers seem out of place.

Like I said, the pieces are all there, I just couldn't see it.

Not Hayes, although I like how his perspective was shown to us and maturing over his life.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:10 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:04 pm This is important to you guys for some reason? The reason I don't know who these people are is that I have never seen them in anything, or enough things to notice.

So what?
Joking dude!

You should check out Halt And Catch Fire though, you might like it.

Scoot McNairy is in it.
Yeah, I admit it annoyed me that instead of more discussion about the show I inspired incredulity about my celebrity knowledge. Thanks for the recommendation.
GreenGoo wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:33 pm
Spoiler:
Hell, the intro song changed right around then. Prior to that the intro song contains the line "I hide among you, well disguised". I mean, if that isn't a giant neon sign I don't know what is.
I was binge watching and lost track of which song applied to which season. I was wrong, and the song I was thinking of was the second season intro. That's a shame, as I thought it (would have) worked really well with the 3rd season.