[TV] Cosmos (2014)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

[TV] Cosmos (2014)

Post by Smoove_B »

Unless my search-fu is off, I'm guessing the original thread was eaten during the great 2013 Summer OOutage?

Here's the first trailer. Show starts 3/9.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Re: [TV] Cosmos (2014)

Post by Isgrimnur »

:pop:

I suppose I should get back to watching the old series, too.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Smoove_B wrote:Unless my search-fu is off, I'm guessing the original thread was eaten during the great 2013 Summer OOutage?

Here's the first trailer. Show starts 3/9.
That's on fox?
I'm ... surprised.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, surprised that Fox opted in for that. Maybe they're trying to shed their image.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote:Yeah, surprised that Fox opted in for that. Maybe they're trying to shed their image.
You should hold off until you see how they've re-written the script.

"For 6,000 years, since the dawn of time, the Earth has been the center of the universe."
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Jeff V wrote:
Rumpy wrote:Yeah, surprised that Fox opted in for that. Maybe they're trying to shed their image.
You should hold off until you see how they've re-written the script.

"For 6,000 years, since the dawn of time, the Earth has been the center of the universe."
You obviously don't know anything about Neil de Grasse Tyson :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Oh, I know him plenty well. I also know what Fox editors and spin doctors are like. Among them, who do you suppose approves the final copy for air?
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Jeff V wrote:Oh, I know him plenty well. I also know what Fox editors and spin doctors are like. Among them, who do you suppose approves the final copy for air?
You may be confusing Fox News with the broadcast network.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Fox was undoubtedly inspired by GZA's collaboration with Tyson.
God put the needle on the disc of Saturn
The record he played revealed blueprints and patterns
:)

Startalk with Tyson and GZA.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

AWS260 wrote:
Jeff V wrote:Oh, I know him plenty well. I also know what Fox editors and spin doctors are like. Among them, who do you suppose approves the final copy for air?
This. I don't watch a lot of TV but I'm not aware that Fox has an anti-science bias outside of their so-called news division.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Even if they did, Tyson is too smart to be blindsided with something as obvious as edits. For something as significant as Cosmos, I don't doubt that he was very, very careful with the contract.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote:
AWS260 wrote:
This. I don't watch a lot of TV but I'm not aware that Fox has an anti-science bias outside of their so-called news division.
Aren't they both owned by the same asshole who would throw his mother in front of the train if it suits his political agenda?
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Fox News gave us Hannity, O'Reilly and Beck. Fox TV gave us Married With Children, The Simpsons, and Fringe.

Just sayin'.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote:
Kraken wrote:
AWS260 wrote:
Aren't they both owned by the same asshole who would throw his mother in front of the train if it suits his political agenda?
Well they're both entertainment networks, but Fox TV is mass market...so, whatever sells. Fox News is directed at a much more specific audience.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote:Even if they did, Tyson is too smart to be blindsided with something as obvious as edits. For something as significant as Cosmos, I don't doubt that he was very, very careful with the contract.

I agree with this. If they screw this up, just imagine billions and billions of Carl Sagan advocates crying foul. It has quite a reputation to fullfill, or I should say, big shoes to fill, and they'd be stupid to mess that chance up, for something they very likely paid lots for the rights to air. Although, I know of one person in particular in my group of friends who already feels they've messed up by having Tyson be host. But in all honesty, I'm not sure who else has the respect and gravitas needed to pull it off, other than maybe Michio Kaku or Bill Nye. So, I'm willing to give Fox some slack and see if they manage to pull it off.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Formix

Post by Formix »

So, that means they'll play the season out of order, and cancel it before it finds its audience?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I was pretty turned off with the IN YOUR FACE FAST EDIT DUBSTEP WUBWUBWUB ads they were running for it yesterday. Either the ads are really misrepresenting the tone of the show (dumb), or they're accurate and my head will explode.

Can you imagine a promo for Planet Earth done in that style?
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I'd bet the good doctor does, he's not going to let himself be used in the way you seem to think he would be.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Chaz wrote:I was pretty turned off with the IN YOUR FACE FAST EDIT DUBSTEP WUBWUBWUB ads they were running for it yesterday. Either the ads are really misrepresenting the tone of the show (dumb), or they're accurate and my head will explode.

Can you imagine a promo for Planet Earth done in that style?
This isn't a 1980 PBS version. It's on a mass media network that needs buzz to find its audience. A repeat of a Sagan version wouldn't have the sizzle to make it during primetime.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

So you're saying to expect an in-your-face, fast edit, blaring music production? I'm sincerely asking, because I haven't been following it.

If that's the tone they're going for, then I'm definitely not interested.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I haven't seen anything specific that I can hang my hat on in terms of actual footage that I recall, but if you're expecting a retreat of beelyuns and beelyuns, you're going to be disappointed, I'm sure.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think it is going to be very modern, but what is relevant is the content and how it is presented. None of us know that, but I have faith in NDT, so I'll give it an episode or two rather than deciding whether or not it is any good before I've seen it.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Isgrimnur wrote:This isn't a 1980 PBS version. It's on a mass media network that needs buzz to find its audience. A repeat of a Sagan version wouldn't have the sizzle to make it during primetime.
The original has such a deliberate, calm pace, that it's all but guaranteed that the remake is going to disappoint folks familiar with the source material. I'm interested to see the remake, but only because I know they aren't destroying all copies of the original at the same time.

Cosmos (1980) will always have an audience. It remains a beautiful thing.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As long as it's better than Through the Wormhole, which I turned off in disgust, I'll be cool with it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My problem with science shows (being somebody who follows science news) is that they're mostly on a remedial high school level, so they're only going to hook me with snazzy graphics that illustrate difficult topics in some new way. It needs a gee-whiz factor if 90% of the content is familiar.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote:My problem with science shows (being somebody who follows science news) is that they're mostly on a remedial high school level
Most of the audience would be lucky to claim a current elementary school level of science knowledge.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote:
Kraken wrote:My problem with science shows (being somebody who follows science news) is that they're mostly on a remedial high school level
Most of the audience would be lucky to claim a current elementary school level of science knowledge.
I realize I'm not their audience. Even most of those who mastered basic science back in the day don't keep up with ongoing developments, but I do. There is very little that a popular science show can teach me. In my eyes they succeed by presenting advanced concepts in a new and intuitive way.

I saw a good example of this a couple of days ago. I don't know how to find the image so I'll try to describe it. They were illustrating the particle/wave duality of light -- how something can look completely different depending on how it's observed. This is not an intuitive concept.

The image was a cylinder suspended in space. When you shine a light on its axis, the shadow is a circle. When you shine a light on its side, the shadow is a rectangle. Very simple example of an "aha!" illustration.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I watch science or history programs for entertainment purposes only. If ever I hear something of interest that I don't already know, I'll look to verify and expand my knowledge through more effective means (such as reading a book on the subject).
Black Lives Matter
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

Watched the trailer and then stumbled into Tyson being interviewed by Bill Moyers. Great example of why Tyson is such a star. He manages to create great answers and open minds even in response to some pretty silly questions.
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Tyson is maybe the one guy who could make this work. They will need state of the art graphics as well. Actually the Michio Kaku might be good with this as well.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

10 Things I Didn’t Know About Neil deGrasse Tyson Until After Reading His Profile in the New Yorker
Ann Druyan, Sagan’s widow and a producer of the new series, says that other networks, including PBS, had a chance to air the new series, but none of them could top the budget or creative control that Fox gave them.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Tyson recently interviewed God.

What is one of God's greatest achievements? Meticulously planting the fossil record in a young earth.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Reviews of the first episode are coming in and they are, for the most part, positive. http://www.metacritic.com/tv/cosmos-a-s ... ic-reviews

I'm not expecting to be overwhelmed by the content, but I am overwhelmed that a science program is getting such a large mainstream audience. I am eager to watch it.
Brian

Post by Brian »

An interview with Family Guy creator and Cosmos producer, Seth McFarlane.

Seth MacFarlane hopes Cosmos counteracts 'junk science,' creationism
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Looking forward to it for the visuals and whatever new factinos might be scattered throughout, but especially hoping for a sweeping narrative that will tie together the latest science news that I keep up with in a disjointed way. Science is the most interesting thing that humans do, and yet so many are peripherally aware at best.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Both my kids (5 and 10) enjoyed it and are looking forward to next week. I was touched by the the tribute they gave to Sagan.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I wasn't impressed, got bored during the cartoon history lesson. From the previews there look to be more of those segments so we'll see how it goes. It also seemed a bit disjointed.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I'll have to catch the replay tomorrow night. Who thought it was a good idea to put it on at the same time as Walking Dead.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Grifman wrote:I wasn't impressed, got bored during the cartoon history lesson. From the previews there look to be more of those segments so we'll see how it goes. It also seemed a bit disjointed.
That was the only segment that taught me something new and I think the cartoon format was better than using costumed actors. I'm giving its rambling approach a pass as the introductory "survey" episode. Hoping future episodes will be more focused.

My wife is my barometer for this show. She's mildly interested in science but doesn't follow science news or programming. She was impressed with Tyson's passion and personality and enjoyed the show overall, so that's a win.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I enjoyed it enough but it seemed like an awful lot of commercial breaks.