Wrong Restaurant, Wrong Robbery, Wrong Time

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Exodor

Wrong Restaurant, Wrong Robbery, Wrong Time

Post by Exodor »

Robbing restaurants in Vancouver, WA is dangerous...
Russell R. Rogers picked the wrong restaurant to rob Sunday afternoon, Vancouver police said.

Professional "extreme fighter" Benji Radach of Longview and his training partner tackled Rogers, 64, after he tried to hold up Elmer's Restaurant with a gun, police officers and restaurant workers said.

Radach, also known as "The Razor," felt he had a good chance of overpowering Rogers. The 25-year-old Longview resident is trained in Pankration, a combination of kickboxing, judo, wrestling and other martial arts --- in which the goal is to render the opponent helpless or senseless.

"The Razor"??
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

I think restaurant is one of the hardest words to spell.
I think Exodor would agree. :D
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Eduardo X wrote:I think restaurant is one of the hardest words to spell.
I think Exodor would agree. :D
Hey, I was close.

:oops:

Fixed.

The truly sad thing is that it was spelled correctly in the text of the quote, and I still misspelled it.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

I feel compelled to point out that pankration is not "a combination of kickboxing, judo, wrestling and other martial arts", but rather one of the original Greek sports that were codified into the Olympics. It is essentially "anything goes" fighting with only a couple of rules. This makes it sound like a modern amalgam of other fighting styles like something out of UFC.

A minor quibble, but I hate media inaccuracies of this sort. It seems so dismissingly apathetic.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I bet they all carry bad mofo wallets :lol: That Alexander the Great was one SORE loser though.

Pankration is a sport or martial art introduced in the Olympic games in 648 BC. It combined striking and grappling, and a match would be won by submission of the opponent. A contestant could signal submission by raising his hand, but sometimes the only form of submission was the death of one of the contestants. Joint locks and choke holds were common techniques of accomplishing this. In fact, there were only two rules: contestants were not allowed to gouge each other's eyes out, or to bite each other. The ancient Olympics also had a less violent pankration contest for young boys.

Ancient sculptures and pottery paintings depicting naked pankration fighters show blade-like hands and crouches reminiscent of modern martial arts.

Among pankration fighters, Dioxippus was the most famous. He won several Olympic games as no one dared challenge him. He became friends with Alexander the Great, and was challenged by one of Alexander's soldiers named Coragus. Coragus fought with weapons and full armour, but was still defeated by the unarmed Dioxippus; Alexander was ashamed for his army and forced Dioxippus to commit suicide.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I wonder if our long-lost friend Matrix was in that restaurant?

8)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Impressive, but a moronic thing to do. Tackle a guy with a gun, no matter how well you do it, and the gun can go off - even if you knock it out of his hand or knock him unconscious with the first blow.

Give the guy the cash box, let him walk out, insurance returns the money, nobody is ever in much danger. Tackle him, and you may save the insurance company a few thosand dollars, but you increase the danger to everybody in the building. If my kid had been in that resturaunt when he did that, I'd be pissed.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

In many countries, a common robbery scheme is to set up an armed checkpoint where people must pay a toll to pass. This is also done by children looking for some easy money, but of course they have no guns.
In Colombia a few years ago, a group of friends decided to pull this scheme off. They set up a roadblock, and along came the first car.
What they didn't realize is that the driver was the Colombian Olympic Sharpshooter. He killed 2 of the three men.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Bob

Post by Bob »

Among pankration fighters, Dioxippus was the most famous. He won several Olympic games as no one dared challenge him. He became friends with Alexander the Great, and was challenged by one of Alexander's soldiers named Coragus. Coragus fought with weapons and full armour, but was still defeated by the unarmed Dioxippus; Alexander was ashamed for his army and forced Dioxippus to commit suicide.
Note to Self: Do not befriend ancient rulers.
Discalced

Post by Discalced »

Blackhawk wrote:Impressive, but a moronic thing to do. Tackle a guy with a gun, no matter how well you do it, and the gun can go off - even if you knock it out of his hand or knock him unconscious with the first blow.

Give the guy the cash box, let him walk out, insurance returns the money, nobody is ever in much danger. Tackle him, and you may save the insurance company a few thosand dollars, but you increase the danger to everybody in the building. If my kid had been in that resturaunt when he did that, I'd be pissed.
Pussy.
CSL

Post by CSL »

Discalced wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Impressive, but a moronic thing to do. Tackle a guy with a gun, no matter how well you do it, and the gun can go off - even if you knock it out of his hand or knock him unconscious with the first blow.

Pussy.
:roll:
wankerjr

Post by wankerjr »

Bob wrote:
Note to Self: Do not befriend ancient rulers.
He should have recruited him.
Yet another shameless plug..for something
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Ancient rulers were always doing that. Wouldn't it have made more sense to put him in charge of training? Imagine what he could have done, and on top of that, if you have an army that skilled, you need fewer troops, meaning that your army can go even farther.

Alexander was a moron.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Eel Snave wrote:Ancient rulers were always doing that. Wouldn't it have made more sense to put him in charge of training? Imagine what he could have done, and on top of that, if you have an army that skilled, you need fewer troops, meaning that your army can go even farther.

Alexander was a moron.
That's funny! :lol:
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
CSL

Post by CSL »

Eel Snave wrote: Alexander was a moron.
I'm just waiting for you to do better.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Well, you know what I mean. Not with the whole world conquest-type thing, but...well, you know.

Shut up! You don't know me!
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Snow

Post by Snow »

In a "straight up" fight between an equal group of ancient martial artists (perhaps Shaolin monks or Dioxippus quality fighters) and a greek phalanx. which group would dominate? Assume the phalanx is at least 5 ranks deep, the martial artists may be armed with weapons of their choice and both sides have enough supporting troops to prevent flanking maneuvers.

I know which group I'd put my money on :)
Discalced

Post by Discalced »