House of Cards, Season 3

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Redfive

Re: House of Cards, Season 3

Post by Redfive »

I think that's about where my wife and I are as well.

It's not bad by any means, just not as riveting as the prior 2 seasons.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:I'm about to start episode 11 tonight. That alone shows that this season hasn't really struck a chord with me.

Petrov is no Tusk.
Nope, he's Vladimir Putin on steroids. Or he's really... Vladimir Putin!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just preferred the Machiavellian machinations of Tusk over the rather blunt approach of Petrov.
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Late to the party but just started S2 this morning. I also saw the big moment in the first episode coming but thought it would be a fakeout.

Anyway, has anyone read the source novels? Are they worth getting?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Season 5 is up, everybody.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Must finish Bloodline first...
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Season 4 was pretty bad. I hope Season 5 makes up for it. Ironically, I didn't find season 3 as bad as people had said. I still found it quite good, particularly the Russian president. But season 4 was stuck in an abyss, and the new dynamic between Frank and Claire didn't work.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Binged Season 5 over the weekend. On par with past seasons. I don't see how Claire can separate herself from everything Frank did. She would be charged just as quickly instead of getting a free pass to the Presidency.

Amused by the Bohemian Grove reference. :ninja:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Please tell me that wasn't just an un-tagged S5 spoiler in a S3 thread...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And I just started the season too.

:grund:
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Moliere wrote:Binged Season 5 over the weekend. On par with past seasons.
I've only watched half so far, but I'm not enjoying it as much as the others. It seems to be getting less and less plausible (even in the age of Drumpf).
Rip

Post by Rip »

Is it ironic that House of Cards turned out to be a house of cards?
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Did you learn those drive-by posting skills in Chicago?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Rip wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:19 pm Is it ironic that House of Cards turned out to be a house of cards?
It's OK, Spacey is gay!
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've actually felt seasons 4 and 5 were pretty weak, 5 moreso. It's getting to the point where it's feeling like they're stretching things out in terms of evidence coming forward. I would have thought that by the end of season 5, there'd some clear-cut evidence to implicate him, but that storyline is moving along so slowly.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Rumpy wrote:I've actually felt seasons 4 and 5 were pretty weak, 5 moreso. It's getting to the point where it's feeling like they're stretching things out in terms of evidence coming forward. I would have thought that by the end of season 5, there'd some clear-cut evidence to implicate him, but that storyline is moving along so slowly.
Biggest problem for me is they went way too fast to start the show. I could have seen him ascend to the presidency over 4 years at least. The chase was the hook. Hell, don't even make it about the presidency until season 4.

Still enjoy it though. Love the atmosphere and that intro theme gets me every time. So beautiful.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, the intro with the time-lapse of the city is great. That's one of my favourite things about it.

I don't know about the pacing, but I think it started out fine, about the same way as the British version. And if you've seen that version, then you can start to see similar plotting and structure. I know some point to season 3 as being the weakest of the first 3, but I disagree. I felt it was fairly good, and overall, those first 3 seasons were gripping television. By season 4 though, It started to feel like they were slowing down the pacing and stretching out the story to get more seasons out of it. It felt very thin on the actual story arc, and by season 5, I felt it was almost non-existent. Season 6 being their last, they're going to have to really ramp up on the events, some of which should have happened this season, and it's going to feel rushed as a result. It's kind of been frustrating to watch because, while the first 3 seasons set up some nice hooks, seasons 4 and 5 never really follow up on them, other than maybe touch on them once or twice, never to be heard from again.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Yeah, saw the British one. It was 12 episodes long and wrapped up. The American version, if it was 2 or 3 sessions would have been fine. But of course money so they keep tacking on seasons and it suffers. It is what it is.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Production on Season 6 just started, so they've got some time to work things to a conclusion. Wiki tells me that production on Season 5 lasted July - February.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I barely made it through season 5. It needed to end anyway.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

tjg_marantz wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:46 pm Yeah, saw the British one. It was 12 episodes long and wrapped up. The American version, if it was 2 or 3 sessions would have been fine. But of course money so they keep tacking on seasons and it suffers. It is what it is.
Yeah, it really does suffer. Seasons 4 and 5 should have moved along much more quickly than they have. Season 5 felt more like atmosphere than anything else.And frankly, I'm not sure Claire in the hotseat is really working for me. And I just heard that Netflix is thinking of a Claire-based spinoff. The fun thing about the British version was seeing just how far FU could go before things caught up with him, and this version seems to have lost focus on that. So, a Claire spinoff wouldn't really make much sense. In the British version, if I remember things correctly, the wife just wanted to wash her hands of everything he had done after having had enough of it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Verge
“MRC and Netflix have decided to suspend production on House of Cards season six, until further notice, to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew,” the companies said in a statement.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wow, that was quick! :shock:
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Apparently the "final season 6" decision had been made well before the current kerfuffle.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

One way they could solve this without totally derailing the premise:
Spoiler:
Would be for Claire to kill off Francis in the Season opener. This would be in keeping with the original British version. Then they wouldn't have to deal with Spacey for the rest of the season. Problem solved. Rest of the season could deal with all the loose ends crashing down on Claire while realizing she isn't in the clear.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Isgrimnur wrote:Apparently the "final season 6" decision had been made well before the current kerfuffle.
Yeah but that shouldn't get in the way of good clickbait.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Spacey is an EP on House of Cards so it'll be interesting to see what they can really do to his character and how much control he really has over things.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deadline
Netflix confirmed today that its popular political drama House of Cards will have a sixth and final season without its Oscar-winning star Kevin Spacey. Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos said the show will enter production next year, with Robin Wright in the lead.

The eight-episode season will “bring closure of the show for fans” and bring back to work some 2,000 people in the Baltimore area whose livelihoods depend on the show, Sarandos said today at UBS’s Global Media and Communications Conference in New York. Previous HoC seasons consisted of 13 episodes each.
In light of the allegations, MRC had suspended Spacey. Meanwhile, Netflix stated that it will “not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey.”
So now they'll have a few more months of work before their livelihood is taken away.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:36 pm The eight-episode season will “bring closure of the show for fans”
Something they should have been drawing to with 4-5. I largely felt this season was filler-TV.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:36 pm So now they'll have a few more months of work before their livelihood is taken away.
Isn't that the nature of their jobs? These shows can't be expected to go on forever.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It is. I’m just pointing out the absurdity of using that as a rah-rah talking point.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Anyone watching Season 6? I trudged my way through the first episode before removing the season from My List. Either the formula was stale or I didn't care for the sans Kevin Spacey premise.
Carpet_pissr

House of Cards, Season 3

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I think I’m nearing the end of season 1 and this is just not hooking me like everyone told me it would. I might give it two more episodes before complete abandonment, but not looking good.

OTOH Princess Buttercup IS looking good.

79% RT seems about right, if a little high.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Moliere wrote:Anyone watching Season 6? I trudged my way through the first episode before removing the season from My List. Either the formula was stale or I didn't care for the sans Kevin Spacey premise.
Binged the whole season in 3 night shifts. Liked it as an ending. But it does feel like they tried too hard to avoid Spacey.

Will miss the title sequence though. Good piece of music that.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs