House of Cards, Season 3

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Redfive

House of Cards, Season 3

Post by Redfive »

This just dropped on Netflix today. We've only watched the first episode :shock:
Spoiler:
Had to go back and check the credits to see if George R.R. Martin wrote the episode.
The closing monologue with the final shot of his b-day present was just awesome too.

I'd like to draw this out and make it last a little, but I'm pretty sure the wife and I will just binge watch it.
Last edited by Redfive on Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: House of Cards, Season 2

Post by Zaxxon »

I started episode one today planning to take a couple weeks to get through the season.

I'm almost halfway there...
lildrgn

Post by lildrgn »

I started S1 last week and finished just in time for Friday. I'm 4 eps in to S2 now. So great!
You complete me.
words
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

In my best George Takei voice after watching the 1st episode of season 2 "oh my..."
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Just finished the first two episodes. Definitely a "did that just happen" moment.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Just finished the whole thing last night. Great episodes on the whole and plenty of twists and turns beyond that one in the first episode. Now I just have the long wait until season 3. :(
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Man... First epsiode of season 2

:shock:
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
The Evil Dead

Post by The Evil Dead »

Yeah, that first episode was crazy. And amazing. Only a few more episodes to finish, then just a few more months until season 2 of Orange is the New Black :pop:
Listen to the Eels
RydeCrash

Post by RydeCrash »

I just finished Season Two; all I can say is Kevin Spacey is Masterfully Sinister!!

Ryde

Stratics Chat Operator--Retired
SFI O-R-B Forum Administrator--Retired
Temporary Strategy First Inc WWII-Online Forum Administrator At Game Launch--Retired
nasai

Post by nasai »

Redfive wrote:This just dropped on Netflix today. We've only watched the first episode :shock:
Spoiler:
Had to go back and check the credits to see if George R.R. Martin wrote the episode.
The closing monologue with the final shot of his b-day present was just awesome too.

I'd like to draw this out and make it last a little, but I'm pretty sure the wife and I will just binge watch it.

I have only read this comment in this thread because last night I finally got to the first episode. I'm sure I'll get to the remainder by the end of March.
Spoiler:
All said, I could see the major moment, with Zoe and the train, coming a mile away, but I didn't think it'd actually happen. I too loved the last shot with the cufflinks. Funny how I didn't even think of his name in that way until that shot. An example of great writing, certainly.

Lastly, I can see Frank's assistant (can't recall his name) eating a bullet or something by the end of the series run. He's like Todd in Breaking Bad. He's absolutely the most evil sociopath on the show.
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Just finished up the season. Well played, Francis...well played. slow clap :clap:

Felt bad early on in the season when he couldn't play on his Playstation any more but I guess he found other ways to let off steam...in a most surprising way later in the season...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Yeah, that letting off steam moment sure as fuck caught me off guard!

Excellent season. But damnit, gotta wait another year now! :tjg:
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Just finished this today :clap:

Btw, releasing all episodes at once is the best way to watch for me. Love that Netflix does this with House of Cards
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

tru1cy wrote:Just finished this today :clap:

Btw, releasing all episodes at once is the best way to watch for me. Love that Netflix does this with House of Cards
It's harder not to have things spoiled unless you rush watching them all. I've been avoiding this thread and other references to it as much as possible until I finished season 2 tonight. Not a surprise ending, but still entertaining.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
naednek

Post by naednek »

I'm on episode 11 of season 2, and that's when it jumped the shark for me. I won't get into any details, but really? Like that's believable.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

naednek wrote:I'm on episode 11 of season 2, and that's when it jumped the shark for me. I won't get into any details, but really? Like that's believable.
Are you referring to the ménage à trois or something else?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Moliere wrote:
naednek wrote:I'm on episode 11 of season 2, and that's when it jumped the shark for me. I won't get into any details, but really? Like that's believable.
Had to look it up but it's the ménage à trois.
Black lives matter!

naednek

Post by naednek »

Moliere wrote:
yes
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

As it's being called, the Meetchun threesome lol.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

tjg_marantz wrote:As it's being called, the Meetchun threesome lol.
He puts the Service in Secret Service ;-)
Black lives matter!

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

naednek wrote:
Moliere wrote:
yes
Just finished this tonight. In regards to that (not sure if spoiler tags are warranted or not at this point, but just in case)
Spoiler:
It's been made abundantly clear since the beginning of the show that Frank and his wife have an open relationship. They also not so subtly suggested in the first season that Frank is also interested in men (the episode with his college buddies made that clear). And I have gotten the impression that generally Frank and his wife aren't very physical with each other; they look for outside people for that. But a few episodes prior to the menage, he and his wife decided that now that Frank was the VP, they couldn't be doing that anymore due to the risks of being caught. So what's a better solution than to find someone that 1) is already around and 2) is known to be loyal? I think they were setting up the Meetchun Threesome for awhile.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Do you mean Meechum? :P
Hodor.
Sabassis

Post by Sabassis »

This is so good, i started watching the British version this is based off, also on netflix. Im on the final season, season 3, and ill just say the British version of Francis (last name like Urkit in this version) is truly more evil than Francis Underwood. FU!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

pr0ner wrote:Do you mean Meechum? :P
I just followed tjg's lead. I should have known not to trust a Canadian when spelling in English....
Black Lives Matter
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Minus 1 poutine for spelling.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

:shock:

That was amazing.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Speaking of House of Cards, we've just recently gotten into it and we're loving it so far. But I've encountered an issue playing S1Ep6 via my Chromecast. It's the only thing that's caused a problem so far, and I wonder if it's something to do with Netflix itself, or maybe the episode in particular. Can someone who has access to the Canadian version and has a Chromecast please check if they're able to play this particular episode?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I spent the last 3 days binge watching Season 3. While the show remains entertaining all of the characters have become more unlikable. There's no one to root for and the finale held no surprises.
Spoiler:
Claire leaving and Rachel's murder were so forecasted that it was just a matter of waiting for them to happen.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I'm just about done watching this season and I think liked watching Vladimir Putin...umm, Viktor Petrov just ham it up on screen. The actor is also the brother of Hannibal on NBC.
Black lives matter!

KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

We have enjoyed the ride. One more episode to go for the most recent season. Remembering the show is for entertainment, we usually comment on how great the writing is for the characters after each episode. The acting, marvelous. Two thumbs up!

Enjoyed the Sesame Street parody Tru1cy.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

A show that was once darkly great has descended into prosaic moralism.
It’s the exact opposite: House of Cards is going softer than President Frank Underwood’s gut. The first two seasons were a palate-cleansing, tit-for-tat inversion of Aaron Sorkin’s cloyingly earnest West Wing, where even the bad guys tended to be good-hearted, if ideologically misguided. But in just three seasons of House of Cards we’ve gone from Underwood (Kevin Spacey) not thinking twice about shoving under a train the unethical journalist he was fucking to a world where he actually takes seriously the idea of a federally funded jobs program that will—finally! seriously! emphatically!—end unemployment as we know it. He actually seems to earnestly want to do something for people and not simply because it will give him more power. Hell, at one point, he echoes FDR talking about how the “country needs bold, persistent experimentation” to turn the economy around and approaches his “America Works” program as something other than the shovel-ready malarkey the old Frank would have gleefully exulted.

Even more disappointing is the devolution of First Lady Claire Underwood (Robin Wright) from a ruthless operator who puts Agrippina the Younger to shame into a latter-day Lady Macbeth filled with doubts about her and her husband’s patently unredeemable actions. “We’re murderers, Francis,” she says at one point in the new season—as if that’s a bad thing.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

So if the characters in a tv show shift from unrelentingly evil to somewhat less evil, that qualifies as a "descent." A strange world we live in these days.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Just 3 episodes into season 3 and I agree with that article. Not enjoying this season nowhere near as much as the previous two. I couldn't really put my finger on it, but yes, I can see some of it has to do with what the article is talking about. Also, I should know better than to read this tread before I finished the whole season as already got spoiled a tiny bit.
naednek

Post by naednek »

disappointing season. Finished it today. Nowhere as good as the first two.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Season 2 wasn't as good as the first two?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Isgrimnur wrote:Season 2 wasn't as good as the first two?
not my fault the thread hasn't been updated...
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

naednek wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Season 2 wasn't as good as the first two?
not my fault the thread hasn't been updated...
Didn't realize the thread was still in use. Fixed :)
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
hepcat

Re: House of Cards, Season 3

Post by hepcat »

I'm about to start episode 11 tonight. That alone shows that this season hasn't really struck a chord with me.

Petrov is no Tusk.
Last edited by hepcat on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.