Sugar makes you fat

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rip

Sugar makes you fat

Post by Rip »

In recent years, sugar - more so than fat - has been receiving the bulk of the blame for our deteriorating health.

Most of us know we consume more sugar than we should. Let's be honest, it's hard not to.

The (new) bad news is that sugar does more damage to our bodies than we originally thought. It was once considered to be just another marker for an unhealthy diet and obesity. Now sugar is considered an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease, as well as many other chronic diseases, according a study published Monday in JAMA Internal Medicine.

“Sugar has adverse health effects above any purported role as ‘empty calories’ promoting obesity,” writes Laura Schmidt, a professor of health policy in the School of Medicine at the University of California at San Francisco, in an accompanying editorial. “Too much sugar doesn’t just make us fat; it can also make us sick.”
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2014/02/0 ... ?hpt=hp_c2

I read through this knowing that for most people this is likely true yet struck by the fact I eat and drink plenty of sugary and salty products. Heck I drink a six pack or more of Mountain Dew daily, yet I am thin as a rail, so much so that many people assume I must have some sort of speed addiction or something. I am now over fifty and feel just fine. Can't remember the last time I saw a doctor for anything other than broken bones and such. I can only assume that like Skye on shield I must be some kind of alien.

Has anyone got GH-325?
Daehawk

Re: Sugar makes you fat

Post by Daehawk »

He aint got no legs Lt. Dan.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Crux

Post by Crux »

Not to get all ranty, but this is just further proof of how badly most of the public health policy in this country is bought and paid for by corporations. This isn't really breaking news, it's just now beginning to be accepted by the mainstream media enough for them to actually report on it. Most of the dietary stuff published in the news are hit pieces designed to scare people away from eating perfectly healthy foods or sustaining perfectly healthy diets all so Nestle and their ilk can turn a bigger profit. Here's some other news flashes:

-Eggs are really good for you and don't cause high cholesterol
- Fatty meats are actually good for you and help your brain health/function, among other things
- Fat doesn't make you fat. Sugar makes you fat. Eating fat is incredibly important to your overall health - brain health, skin health, hair health, just to name a few

Etc, etc, etc.
If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit - Mitch Hedberg
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Crux wrote:- Fatty meats are actually good for you and help your brain health/function, among other things
- Fat doesn't make you fat. Sugar makes you fat. Eating fat is incredibly important to your overall health - brain health, skin health, hair health, just to name a few

Etc, etc, etc.
If you consume more calories than you expend, eating too much of anything will make you fat. Since sugar happens to taste really well (as a general rule), it's just more likely to be the culprit of overeating than, say, lard :)
Rip

Post by Rip »

Crux wrote:Not to get all ranty, but this is just further proof of how badly most of the public health policy in this country is bought and paid for by corporations. This isn't really breaking news, it's just now beginning to be accepted by the mainstream media enough for them to actually report on it. Most of the dietary stuff published in the news are hit pieces designed to scare people away from eating perfectly healthy foods or sustaining perfectly healthy diets all so Nestle and their ilk can turn a bigger profit. Here's some other news flashes:

- Fatty meats are actually good for you and help your brain health/function, among other things

Etc, etc, etc.
That doesn't address that I eat lots of sugary stuff and have a 27 inch waist and am 69 inches tall. Now I understand there are a number of skinny people that are "metabolically fat" but as far as I know I am not, as I do not have any of the symptoms in particular belly fat. I have zeor belly fat or other fat and although I am not what you would call muscular I am not without muscle either. I can do plenty of pushups, pull ups, etc. So it would seem at least to me that while this data applies to many people it isn't the one size fits all it is often sold as.

Myself I follow the eat what my body craves by giving me a desire for it. Sometimes I really have a desire for salty stuff, sometimes I really want some pasta or potatoes, sometimes I want a nice steak or hamburger. What I want I eat. Has worked fine for me.

Another strange thing about my diet and desires is that I never eat or want to until 4-6 hours after I wake up. I simply cannot get out of bed and eat, the thought makes me nauseous.
Crux

Post by Crux »

gilraen wrote:
Crux wrote:- Fatty meats are actually good for you and help your brain health/function, among other things

Etc, etc, etc.
If you consume more calories than you expend, eating too much of anything will make you fat. Since sugar happens to taste really well (as a general rule), it's just more likely to be the culprit of overeating than, say, lard :)
Except that's not entirely accurate. Food has a metabolic cost, and the traditional unit of measurement doesn't apply equally to all of them. A "calorie" of protein doesn't impact your body the same way as a "calorie" of sugar. They are processed by entirely different hormones, do not have the same caloric impact on your body and take completely different pathways through your body.
If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit - Mitch Hedberg
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Rip wrote:Has worked fine for me.
You're a lucky guy. As an experiment, go around the house today and while you're making your various meals, try to completely avoid eating things with High Fructose Corn syrup. Let me know how it works out.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Crux

Post by Crux »

Rip wrote:
Crux wrote:Not to get all ranty, but this is just further proof of how badly most of the public health policy in this country is bought and paid for by corporations. This isn't really breaking news, it's just now beginning to be accepted by the mainstream media enough for them to actually report on it. Most of the dietary stuff published in the news are hit pieces designed to scare people away from eating perfectly healthy foods or sustaining perfectly healthy diets all so Nestle and their ilk can turn a bigger profit. Here's some other news flashes:

Etc, etc, etc.
That doesn't address that I eat lots of sugary stuff and have a 27 inch waist and am 69 inches tall. Now I understand there are a number of skinny people that are "metabolically fat" but as far as I know I am not, as I do not have any of the symptoms in particular belly fat. I have zeor belly fat or other fat and although I am not what you would call muscular I am not without muscle either. I can do plenty of pushups, pull ups, etc. So it would seem at least to me that while this data applies to many people it isn't the one size fits all it is often sold as.

Myself I follow the eat what my body craves by giving me a desire for it. Sometimes I really have a desire for salty stuff, sometimes I really want some pasta or potatoes, sometimes I want a nice steak or hamburger. What I want I eat. Has worked fine for me.

Another strange thing about my diet and desires is that I never eat or want to until 4-6 hours after I wake up. I simply cannot get out of bed and eat, the thought makes me nauseous.
I'll certainly allow that everyone's body is different. That said, understand that most processed food in the US is literally designed to make you crave more food and to not know when to stop eating. The former head of the FDA wrote a really nice book about this that I can't remember the title of off the top of my head. Unless you're either extremely rare or eating a very clean, unprocessed diet, what you crave and what your body needs are rarely in alignment.

But you also just might be very, very good at portion control. Unusually so.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

gilraen wrote:

Etc, etc, etc.
The problem with sugar is how its used in so much of our processed foods. Check out labels and you will see high fructose corn syrup in just about every thing out there. Its not so much about how people use sugar as it is about how ubiquitous it is in our foods now. Add in our national addiction to sugared soda and its easy to see how excess sugar intake is so over the top here in the US.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

rshetts2 wrote:
gilraen wrote:

Etc, etc, etc.
The problem with sugar is how its used in so much of our processed foods. Check out labels and you will see high fructose corn syrup in just about every thing out there. Its not so much about how people use sugar as it is about how ubiquitous it is in our foods now. Add in our national addiction to sugared soda and its easy to see how excess sugar intake is so over the top here in the US.
You can be malnourished and overweight, the caloric intake math still holds. And yes, I'm very aware of things with HFCS in them, I deliberately try to avoid it.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Smoove_B wrote:
You're a lucky guy. As an experiment, go around the house today and while you're making your various meals, try to completely avoid eating things with High Fructose Corn syrup. Let me know how it works out.
AMybe in the future, haven't the time today or this weekend to go through the effort identifying which ones do and trying to eat around them. Besides I need my Mountain energy, it helps keep my mind flying and helps me avoid sitting on my ass all day. I do wish I could get it with pure cane sugar but alas the soda business has developed a strong preference for corn syrup. Bastards.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Rip wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:
AMybe in the future, haven't the time today or this weekend to go through the effort identifying which ones do and trying to eat around them. Besides I need my Mountain energy, it helps keep my mind flying and helps me avoid sitting on my ass all day. I do wish I could get it with pure cane sugar but alas the soda business has developed a strong preference for corn syrup. Bastards.
In theory you can get it, if your local supermarkets sell the "Throwback" version of Mountain Dew (made with real sugar). I wouldn't be surprised if it's not widely available, though.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rip wrote:Heck I drink a six pack or more of Mountain Dew daily, yet I am thin as a rail, so much so that many people assume I must have some sort of speed addiction or something.
When I read that, I don't think you have a speed addiction, I think you might have some sort of endocrine system malfunction.

I was the same way, I ate pizza 8 times a week, drank a lot of full-leaded soda, and was thin as a rail. Then I was diagnosed with Graves Disease -- an overactive thyroid which gave me hyper-metabolism but put me at very high risk for stroke. After nuking, I went from 160 to 240 in 6 months without changing my diet. That led to early onset of type 2 diabetes (drinking lots of soda was a big indicator of that).
Black Lives Matter
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

As a non nutrition and fitness expert, and someone very overweight who is trying to live healthier, is there a distinction between natural sugars found in say fruit, versus sugar added to foods? I find that in a given day I can easily go over my calorie tracker's sugar limit just by eating fruit throughout the day. For example my one red grapefruit ends up using almost 33% of my daily sugar goal.
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
Rip

Post by Rip »

gilraen wrote:
Rip wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:
In theory you can get it, if your local supermarkets sell the "Throwback" version of Mountain Dew (made with real sugar). I wouldn't be surprised if it's not widely available, though.
It isn't and I have looked. Amazing considering how much sugar cane Louisiana produces.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Jeff V wrote:
Rip wrote:Heck I drink a six pack or more of Mountain Dew daily, yet I am thin as a rail, so much so that many people assume I must have some sort of speed addiction or something.
When I read that, I don't think you have a speed addiction, I think you might have some sort of endocrine system malfunction.

I was the same way, I ate pizza 8 times a week, drank a lot of full-leaded soda, and was thin as a rail. Then I was diagnosed with Graves Disease -- an overactive thyroid which gave me hyper-metabolism but put me at very high risk for stroke. After nuking, I went from 160 to 240 in 6 months without changing my diet. That led to early onset of type 2 diabetes (drinking lots of soda was a big indicator of that).

That could be, it describes me. I can sit out in near freezing weather and eat a choclate bar and I start beading sweat on my forehead. I also often feel cold and am only happy when I am on the verge of sweating.

Nuking is a reference to radiation treatment for the thyroid?
DD*

Post by DD* »

Rip wrote:
In recent years, sugar - more so than fat - has been receiving the bulk of the blame for our deteriorating health.

Most of us know we consume more sugar than we should. Let's be honest, it's hard not to.

The (new) bad news is that sugar does more damage to our bodies than we originally thought. It was once considered to be just another marker for an unhealthy diet and obesity. Now sugar is considered an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease, as well as many other chronic diseases, according a study published Monday in JAMA Internal Medicine.

“Sugar has adverse health effects above any purported role as ‘empty calories’ promoting obesity,” writes Laura Schmidt, a professor of health policy in the School of Medicine at the University of California at San Francisco, in an accompanying editorial. “Too much sugar doesn’t just make us fat; it can also make us sick.”
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2014/02/0 ... ?hpt=hp_c2

I read through this knowing that for most people this is likely true yet struck by the fact I eat and drink plenty of sugary and salty products. Heck I drink a six pack or more of Mountain Dew daily, yet I am thin as a rail, so much so that many people assume I must have some sort of speed addiction or something. I am now over fifty and feel just fine. Can't remember the last time I saw a doctor for anything other than broken bones and such. I can only assume that like Skye on shield I must be some kind of alien.

Has anyone got GH-325?
WTF dude!?!?!?! Spoiler alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Rip

Post by Rip »

Spoiler? That was months and months ago.

Not much more of a spoiler than saying Obama got re-elected.

Besides at theis point one could question whether that even has any importance.

Here is another spoiler. Skye is HOT!.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

But sugar tastes gooood. Candy tastes goooood...
Toe

Post by Toe »

Arkon wrote:As a non nutrition and fitness expert, and someone very overweight who is trying to live healthier, is there a distinction between natural sugars found in say fruit, versus sugar added to foods? I find that in a given day I can easily go over my calorie tracker's sugar limit just by eating fruit throughout the day. For example my one red grapefruit ends up using almost 33% of my daily sugar goal.
Last thing I read on the matter seemed to indicate that there is not much difference in the sugar. What is different however, is that the fruit solids help ease the sugar into your blood stream, resulting in less of a negative impact.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rip wrote: That doesn't address that I eat lots of sugary stuff and have a 27 inch waist and am 69 inches tall. Now I understand there are a number of skinny people that are "metabolically fat" but as far as I know I am not, as I do not have any of the symptoms in particular belly fat. I have zeor belly fat or other fat and although I am not what you would call muscular I am not without muscle either. I can do plenty of pushups, pull ups, etc. So it would seem at least to me that while this data applies to many people it isn't the one size fits all it is often sold as.

And I know peple that have smoked for 40 years and don't have emphysema or lung cancer. Must be that we're wrong about smoking too.

You're mistaking a sample size of 1 as something that is statistically significant. AKA the anecdotal evidence fallacy.

You're also making the assumption that waist size is the only indicator of a person's health.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rip

Post by Rip »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Rip wrote: That doesn't address that I eat lots of sugary stuff and have a 27 inch waist and am 69 inches tall. Now I understand there are a number of skinny people that are "metabolically fat" but as far as I know I am not, as I do not have any of the symptoms in particular belly fat. I have zeor belly fat or other fat and although I am not what you would call muscular I am not without muscle either. I can do plenty of pushups, pull ups, etc. So it would seem at least to me that while this data applies to many people it isn't the one size fits all it is often sold as.

And I know peple that have smoked for 40 years and don't have emphysema or lung cancer. Must be that we're wrong about smoking too.

You're mistaking a sample size of 1 as something that is statistically significant. AKA the anecdotal evidence fallacy.

You're also making the assumption that waist size is the only indicator of a person's health.
No I am that how I feel and how often I am sick enough to be forced to see a doctor as an indicator of my health. I feel fine and I see a doctor so infrequently that if I needed to I wouldn't know where to start. At 50 that makes me feel pretty good since most people I know are get sick and have to see a doctor if not end up in the hospital at least every few years. I haven't been admitted to a hospital since I had my tonsils taken out at like ten years old. Anyone else around here that can say that?

While not statistically significant it certainly seems to indicate I am not being destroyed by my high sugar/high carb diet of eating whatever my body craves. As I have said maybe I am just special or lucky. Perhaps in the next few years I will become a stroke machine banging on deaths door. I will let you know so you cna then mock me.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rip wrote:
No I am that how I feel and how often I am sick enough to be forced to see a doctor as an indicator of my health. I feel fine and I see a doctor so infrequently that if I needed to I wouldn't know where to start. At 50 that makes me feel pretty good since most people I know are get sick and have to see a doctor if not end up in the hospital at least every few years. I haven't been admitted to a hospital since I had my tonsils taken out at like ten years old. Anyone else around here that can say that?
I can say that. In fact, the only times I've ever been in the hospital were for accidents as a kid (eating rhubarb leaves, stepping on a rusty nail, smashed toenail). That doesn't mean that I think my smoking and boozing 20 and 30s were a particularly healthy lifestyle. Nor do I even recommend the toned-down LawBeefaroni drink and diet plan of today.
Rip wrote:While not statistically significant it certainly seems to indicate I am not being destroyed by my high sugar/high carb diet of eating whatever my body craves. As I have said maybe I am just special or lucky.
You are lucky, be it genetics, mutation, or just odds. And basing health recommendations on that fact (and refuting scientific consensus) would be like you hitting a number in routlette and proclaiming it as a sure-fire way for everyone to make a 3,500% return on their life savings (and refuting mathematical consensus).
Rip wrote:Perhaps in the next few years I will become a stroke machine banging on deaths door. I will let you know so you cna then mock me.
No need, just let me know what your pancreas looks like. :lol:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

Rip wrote:No I am that how I feel and how often I am sick enough to be forced to see a doctor as an indicator of my health. I feel fine and I see a doctor so infrequently that if I needed to I wouldn't know where to start. At 50 that makes me feel pretty good since most people I know are get sick and have to see a doctor if not end up in the hospital at least every few years. I haven't been admitted to a hospital since I had my tonsils taken out at like ten years old. Anyone else around here that can say that?
I've never been admitted to a hospital and still have my tonsils. The sugar you are eating has already claimed them - stop before it is too late!!!! <- joke
While not statistically significant it certainly seems to indicate I am not being destroyed by my high sugar/high carb diet of eating whatever my body craves. As I have said maybe I am just special or lucky. Perhaps in the next few years I will become a stroke machine banging on deaths door. I will let you know so you cna then mock me.
It doesn't show anything. When you die, we'll be able to add your data to the set and learn stuff. Until then, meh.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Arkon wrote:As a non nutrition and fitness expert, and someone very overweight who is trying to live healthier, is there a distinction between natural sugars found in say fruit, versus sugar added to foods? I find that in a given day I can easily go over my calorie tracker's sugar limit just by eating fruit throughout the day. For example my one red grapefruit ends up using almost 33% of my daily sugar goal.
Not really. Sugar is sugar, usually sucrose, glucose, and fructose. They are metabolized differently by the body, however, which is important. Also, when eating fruit, you are also getting other essential nutrients and fiber, which help offset some of the negative properties of the sugar.
Rip

Post by Rip »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Rip wrote:
I can say that. In fact, the only times I've ever been in the hospital were for accidents as a kid (eating rhubarb leaves, stepping on a rusty nail, smashed toenail). That doesn't mean that I think my smoking and boozing 20 and 30s were a particularly healthy lifestyle. Nor do I even recommend the toned-down LawBeefaroni drink and diet plan of today.
Rip wrote:While not statistically significant it certainly seems to indicate I am not being destroyed by my high sugar/high carb diet of eating whatever my body craves. As I have said maybe I am just special or lucky.
You are lucky, be it genetics, mutation, or just odds. And basing health recommendations on that fact (and refuting scientific consensus) would be like you hitting a number in routlette and proclaiming it as a sure-fire way for everyone to make a 3,500% return on their life savings (and refuting mathematical consensus).
Rip wrote:Perhaps in the next few years I will become a stroke machine banging on deaths door. I will let you know so you cna then mock me.
No need, just let me know what your pancreas looks like. :lol:
I'm not suggesting it for everyone else. I am simply suggesting for me that while I may have been healthier had I chose a different lifestyle and diet, it isn't the tragic decision that is certain to lead to an early grave that most stories would like you to believe again for me. I am suggesting that each person is different and it is good info to know but the knee jerk OMG I am killing myself reaction that most of these stories are determined to cause.

That said I still try to limit myself to some degree and make it a point to throw in anything that I know will be better for me like green beans or corn. While the things I detest, beets, seafood, tofu, cooked carrots and so on I don't eat because I don't like them and my body doesn't crave them.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rip wrote:
Jeff V wrote:

That could be, it describes me. I can sit out in near freezing weather and eat a choclate bar and I start beading sweat on my forehead. I also often feel cold and am only happy when I am on the verge of sweating.

Nuking is a reference to radiation treatment for the thyroid?
Radioactive iodine...iodine concentrates in your thyroid, the radiation kills off cells.

As far as fruit and sugar is concerned, some whole fruits contain fiber, which helps slow the sugar's entry into the bloodstream. Some fruits have low fiber and a commensurately high glycemic index and should be avoided.
Fruit juice is like mainlining pure cane and should be avoided at all costs if you are even a little bit pre-diabetic.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote:
Avoiding HFCS does complicate grocery shopping. Last week I finally gave up on buying tartar sauce and made my own because every commercial brand had corn syrup (Hellmans makes one with sugar but the grocer was out of it). With some effort, I have nearly eliminated HFCS from our diet.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

98% of my groceries come from the produce aisle and the meat aisle, so I've not had a problem eliminating HFCS.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Also, shopping at Whole Foods makes it pretty damn easy...I don't know if they have even one product in their store that contains it (maybe I am thinking of Earthfare, which is a regional version of WF). Not sure if Trader Joe's is so strict about HFCS, but I always check labels on stuff I buy to make sure it doesn't have it (though there have been plenty of recent reports that say it's not the monster it has been made out to be - no doubt funded by the very companies that save tons of money using it! :P )
Crux

Post by Crux »

You know, this is the other part where the national consciousness with food falls down. It isn't just how much sugar you eat - it's what you eat it with. At the core, sugar is all about insulin, and your body has a difference insulin response to sugar depending on the quantities of fat and protein it is eaten with.

There is a much bigger negative metabolic impact on, say 10 grams of sugar eaten alone (say in a piece of chocolate) compared to 10 grams of sugar eaten along with 10 grams of protein and 10 grams of fat. In the second case the insulin response will be more gradual, more measured and generally better for you. The critical thing for someone in your situation that I would say is this: don't ever eat plain sugar, and don't ever let straight carbs make up the bulk of your diet. I try to have a respectable amount of protein, fat and carbs at every meal, and to keep to snacks that have a low glycemic impact. An apple is a great snack - roughly 60 calories, lots of fiber and a low glycemic imapct.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Crux wrote:There is a much bigger negative metabolic impact on, say 10 grams of sugar eaten alone (say in a piece of chocolate) compared to 10 grams of sugar eaten along with 10 grams of protein and 10 grams of fat.
I think you need to look again at chocolate
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Also, shopping at Whole Foods makes it pretty damn easy...I don't know if they have even one product in their store that contains it
It's on their unacceptable ingredients list, right along with MSG.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:Also, shopping at Whole Foods makes it pretty damn easy...I don't know if they have even one product in their store that contains it
It's on their unacceptable ingredients list, right along with MSG.
Huh! Very interesting...didn't know they actually had a posted list of naughty ingredients, just anecdotally noticed that I have yet to see ANY product on their shelves with it.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Not a lot of people get fat eating fruit. I remember reading that there differences though, depending on the type of sugar.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Crux wrote:It isn't just how much sugar you eat - it's what you eat it with. At the core, sugar is all about insulin, and your body has a difference insulin response to sugar depending on the quantities of fat and protein it is eaten with.

There is a much bigger negative metabolic impact on, say 10 grams of sugar eaten alone (say in a piece of chocolate) compared to 10 grams of sugar eaten along with 10 grams of protein and 10 grams of fat. In the second case the insulin response will be more gradual, more measured and generally better for you. The critical thing for someone in your situation that I would say is this: don't ever eat plain sugar, and don't ever let straight carbs make up the bulk of your diet. I try to have a respectable amount of protein, fat and carbs at every meal, and to keep to snacks that have a low glycemic impact. An apple is a great snack - roughly 60 calories, lots of fiber and a low glycemic imapct.
THIS. +100

My family is learning this the hard way after my 6 year old Fish's diagnosis with Type 1 diabetes in January. There is so much sugar hidden everywhere (even in corn!) and her 15 g carbohydrate "free" snacks are not created equal.

Rip, I was once like you. 160-180 lbs and could eat anything. My metabolism crashed like a bad transmission in law school, probably due to sleep apnea and the rest of the family genetics kicking in. Now my kids think I'm secretly Santa Claus because I'm "fat and jolly" (their words, not mine).
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Rip

Post by Rip »

Zarathud wrote:
Crux wrote:It isn't just how much sugar you eat - it's what you eat it with. At the core, sugar is all about insulin, and your body has a difference insulin response to sugar depending on the quantities of fat and protein it is eaten with.

THIS. +100

My family is learning this the hard way after my 6 year old Fish's diagnosis with Type 1 diabetes in January. There is so much sugar hidden everywhere (even in corn!) and her 15 g carbohydrate "free" snacks are not created equal.

Rip, I was once like you. 160-180 lbs and could eat anything. My metabolism crashed like a bad transmission in law school, probably due to sleep apnea and the rest of the family genetics kicking in. Now my kids think I'm secretly Santa Claus because I'm "fat and jolly" (their words, not mine).
I weigh 105 and have weighed between 95 and 115 my entire adult life. I'm already 50 so I can't see that changing.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Not a lot of people get fat eating fruit. I remember reading that there differences though, depending on the type of sugar.
You should see some of that crazy, raw vegan, 30 bananas a day diet shit that's on the internet.
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Bananas aren't particularly good for you, and I eat more than I should (3-4 per week). Then again, I'm part chimp.
Black Lives Matter
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

I love this topic. You could have a symposium every year and every year the advice would change 180 degrees.

Here's my take.

Sugar doesn't make you fat. Fat doesn't make you fat. Protein doesn't make you fat.

Eating too much makes you fat.

This seems like a pretty obvious stance to take, I think. You can't gain weight by consuming less energy than you expend. Cutting macro nutrients out of your diet is completely asinine and pointless. I know if you want your obese population to no longer be obese then saying "Sugar Is Poison And If You Stop Consuming It You Won't Be Fat" will be more effective than actually telling people the truth, but it's like using a sledgehammer to kill a fly. Does it actually work? Well sure, in that you're effectively telling people to cut a large portion of their caloric intake from their diet. Of course they're going to lose weight if they do that. That's how dieting works.

I don't think this War On Sugar is going to turn out to be any different than the War On Fat and War On Eggs and War On Carbs. It's all a marketing gimmick likely put together by people looking to sell a book or damage an industry.

In the end, if people want to be healthier they need to start leading a more active lifestyle and start understanding their own caloric needs. They need to understand that you're not going to lose weight by not eating [Insert Random Food Here]; you're going to lose weight by burning more calories than you consume. You may accomplish that goal by cutting out a certain food that you eat frequently, but only if you don't replace it with something equivalent. Chances are you can eat whatever the hell you're currently eating—you just have to accept that you're going to have to eat less of it.

As far as saturated fats and dietary cholesterol are concerned—who the hell knows? For every study saying it's bad for your heart there's probably one saying it's good for your heart. I personally would limit both. I'm not sure what "brain health" has to do with it, really. There are hundreds of millions of people around the world who get very little of either (vegetarians for instance and those whose diets consist mainly of grains, legumes, and beans) who have perfectly normal, healthy brains.

I'm 5'6" and about 130-135 pounds. When I was a teenager I struggled to keep my weight high enough to be healthy. Of course when somebody weighs too little what is the universal advice? Eat More. But when somebody weighs too much all of a sudden it's fucking rocket science and nobody has any answers! Imagine that...
Last edited by BooTx on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.