The homeowners confronting crooks thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: The homeowners confronting crooks thread

Post by Daehawk »

There was another 60 something year old did the same exact thing years ago but actually shot the two teenagers. He went to prison.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rip

Post by Rip »

Rip

Post by Rip »

Three would-be robbers were shot and killed Monday when an Oklahoma homeowner's son opened fire on them with an AR-15, authorities said.

Wagoner County sheriff's deputies were called to the home in Broken Arrow, southeast of Tulsa at around 12:30 p.m. local time. When they arrived, they found the three dead suspects and two uninjured residents.

Sheriff's spokesman Deputy Nick Mahoney said the suspects enetered the home through a glass back door with the intent to burglarize it. It was not immediately clear why they picked that home.

Mahoney said the suspects encountered the homeowner's 19-year-old son, who opened fire after an exchange of words. Two of the suspects died in the home's kitchen while a third was found in the driveway.

It was not immediately clear whether the suspects were armed, but Mahoney said the preliminary investigation indicated the shootings were in self-defense. The homeowner's son volunteered to give a statement at the sheriff's office.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/27/ho ... glars.html
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

260 miles, 5 stolen vehicles, 2 robbed homes
The bravery of a homeowner put an end to the three-day long manhunt, Fitzhugh said.

The inmates had run through the woods to a home on Pruitt Road, near the rural community of Christiana.

Authorities had said the homeowner saw the inmates trying to steal his vehicle and called his neighbor. Both men, armed with guns, confronted the fugitives and held them at gunpoint, they said.

But Patrick Hale told reporters on Friday that he never drew his weapon.

He had been at his home on Pruitt road with his daughter when two friends called warning him about the fugitives.

Hale loaded his weapons, called 911 and "prayed like I never prayed before," he said, as the two men crossed a barbed wired fence that's about 300 yards from his back door.

The 35-year-old father took his daughter, got into his car and began backing it up from their driveway when Robe and Dubose took their shirts off and started waving them.

"My vehicle looks very similar to a police cruiser," Hale said. "For some reason they started to surrender and lay down on their stomachs in my concrete driveway."

Hale said he was ready to do "whatever" he could to protect his family.

"I had a weapon on me but I never had to draw the weapon," he added.
With 1/3 of the people owning guns in Georgia, eventually their luck had to run out.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
PLW

Post by PLW »

Moliere wrote: With 1/3 of the people owning guns in Georgia, eventually their luck had to run out.
They were caught in TN, which has an even higher rate (about 40%).
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Apparently the car's resemblance to a police car caused the fugitives to surrender, not the guy's firearm. I mean it's good he had one but it never came into play at all.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Who is to say its presence didn't if the fugitives realized their mistake when they saw the owner?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I'm so disappointed. I had in my mind the image of the two armed homeowners walking out there and getting the drop on the criminals. The guys just gave up! No guns drawn. *insert sound of air leaving balloon*
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Last edited by Victoria Raverna on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not if you're bringing a broomstick to a gun fight.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Robbing a gun store with a hammer seems like a bad idea.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm assuming the deceased had severe mental illness. That's just sad all around.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

17-year-old Spokane girl pulls gun on home intruder on the run from Spokane County deputies
A 17-year-old north Spokane County girl protected herself and her home with her dad's gun when a suspected car thief on the run from Spokane County deputies came into her house Monday morning.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

TACOMA, Wash. (AP) – A Pierce County man who says he was aiming his gun at a car thief when he accidentally shot and killed his neighbor pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

The News Tribune reports Tobin Panton shot and killed Linda Green last year.

Panton saw someone driving off in his Jeep, so he shot at it.

Panton says he fired until his gun was out of bullets.

One of those bullets went into Green’s house and hit her in the head.

Training, folks.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Moliere wrote:17-year-old Spokane girl pulls gun on home intruder on the run from Spokane County deputies
A 17-year-old north Spokane County girl protected herself and her home with her dad's gun when a suspected car thief on the run from Spokane County deputies came into her house Monday morning.
FWIW, the suspect was known to be in the area and she called her dad and asked permission to get out the gun. He told her it was weapons free so she kept the pistol at hand and was able to scare the guy off when he tried to break in. That's proper firearm safety and training.

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LawBeefaroni wrote:That's proper firearm safety and training.
The most important form of gun control.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

From the article:
They showed her a picture of the man they were looking for and Kimber positively identified him as the man who was also in her house.
I hope that doesn't screw up their case. It would be better if they showed her photos of multiple 'suspects' and she identified the one they were looking for. Otherwise it sounds more like a railroad job, ie "This is the guy who did it, say it's him and we can put him away for a long time".
Rip

Post by Rip »

A 60-year-old Texas woman wasn't taking any chances Monday morning when she heard two intruders enter her home, grabbing her pistol and shooting one of the would-be thieves dead, police said.

The woman, who was not immediately identified, confronted the two armed men after they entered her Harris County home through an open garage door around 11:30 a.m., WTSP reported.

Cathy Hanks, a neighbor, said it's not surprising the woman fired her pistol when she saw a threat in her home, explaining: "That's really how we are. That's just Texas."

"It's the state of Texas. If you're going to go into someone's home, you're going to get shot," Hanks said.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/01/te ... ruder.html
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

gameoverman wrote:From the article:
They showed her a picture of the man they were looking for and Kimber positively identified him as the man who was also in her house.
I hope that doesn't screw up their case. It would be better if they showed her photos of multiple 'suspects' and she identified the one they were looking for. Otherwise it sounds more like a railroad job, ie "This is the guy who did it, say it's him and we can put him away for a long time".
I don't think convicting him for entering her house is their goal (and they can probably confirm it with fingerprints anyway). He's already on the run, they just want to confirm if it was him as they try to find him. It wasn't a lineup, more intel gathering.

BTW, did anyone find it odd that the article has a photo of the girl (17-years-old) in her garage with her (or her family's) license plates clearly visible?

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Pistol Packing Woman Foils Keithville Burglary
Four men who were planning to break into a home in Keithville are caught when the female resident shows up with a gun.

Sheriff Steve Prator says the incident happened just before 10 a.m., when deputies got a call from the 11000 of Peggy Lane in Keithville regarding a burglary in progress. The homeowner told deputies several men were at her front door dressed in hoods and carrying backpacks. When she met them at the door with a handgun the suspects fled in an SUV that was parked in the bushes.
Rip

Post by Rip »

No idea if he was a homeowner but he has a family and he confronted a crook with a gun to defend them.
A father eating at a Popeye’s restaurant -- and carrying his licensed handgun -- shot a would-be robber dead Wednesday after the thief threatened the man's family at gunpoint and demanded the dad's belongings.

The San Antonio Police Department said Ander Herrera, 19, walked into the restaurant on South Flores Street just after 9 p.m. Wednesday and demanded Carlos Molina hand over his cash.

Molina, 32, said he had no money because he had just bought his family a meal. The gunman then turned toward the counter and started yelling at a manager who was trying to take cover, FOX29 reported.

Authorities said two more members of Molina’s family came out of a restroom amid the commotion and the suspect pointed his gun at them.

Molina then whipped out his gun and shot Herrera several times, killing him.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/08/te ... e-say.html
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Well, then those auto shop guys too.
Updated: Nov 25, 2017 - 5:38 PM
ROCKLEDGE, Fla. - A man with a .45-caliber handgun and “multiple magazines” walked to a Rockledge auto shop and shot two employees, killing one, before another employee who was armed shot him, Police Chief Joseph LaSata said.
Upon hearing the commotion in the parking lot, police said, a manager went outside and confronted Bailey before running back into the shop, with Bailey following behind.

Another employee in the shop, who has a concealed weapons permit, shot Bailey once he came inside, police said.

Police said the manager, Bailey, and the other employee were all shooting inside the business.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This doen't belong here but it doesn't belong in the Trevon/Zimmerman thread either but something has to give. This is beyond upsetting.

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-n ... ster-hills
ROCHESTER HILLS, Mich. (WJBK) - A 14-year-old missed his bus and it nearly cost him his life.

Things took a dangerous turn when Brennan Walker went looking for help at a Rochester Hills home Thursday morning and was confronted by a man with a gun.
"I got to the house, and I knocked on the lady's door. Then she started yelling at me and she was like, 'Why are you trying to break into my house?' I was trying to explain to her that I was trying to get directions to Rochester High. And she kept yelling at me. Then the guy came downstairs, and he grabbed the gun, I saw it and started to run. And that's when I heard the gunshot," he says.
Shoot a kid in the back while he's running away? The fuck is wrong with you? I can actually see feeling threatened and ignoring the body language of someone seeking help, even if I don't understand it, but what the hell state can you possibly be in when you shoot at a fleeing child?
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Does this go here?
A Delaware County father is being held on a murder complaint in connection with the fatal shooting of his 13-year-old who was driving what the father thought was a stolen family vehicle, according to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation.

Rutherford was notified by neighbors after many vehicles were seen at his older son’s house, which was supposed to be vacant. Rutherford drove to the house and witnessed someone driving his son’s pickup truck.

Rutherford gave chase and fired his rifle at the driver several times, unknowingly hitting his 13-year-old son, the press release states.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

You can't/shouldn't shoot at anyone unless, among other things, there is immmediate danger to your or someone else's life and you intend to kill them. Shooting some kid fleeing your house or fleeing in a stolen car is never going to go well in the best of circumstances. It less than ideal circumstances, you end up being the criminal.

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:27 pm You can't/shouldn't shoot at anyone unless, among other things, there is immmediate danger to your or someone else's life and you intend to kill them. Shooting some kid fleeing your house or fleeing in a stolen car is never going to go well in the best of circumstances. It less than ideal circumstances, you end up being the criminal.
From a legal perspective you should never say your intent was to kill. Instead you fired until the immediate threat to your life was over. If you're not in immediate danger you will go to jail for firing your gun. And frankly, your TV/car/etc is not worth the danger of shooting someone.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It was drilled into my head when I carried for work: If you shoot, you say you shot to stop. Not to kill, but even more than that, never, ever say you fired to wound.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:27 pm You can't/shouldn't shoot at anyone unless, among other things, there is immmediate danger to your or someone else's life and you intend to kill them. Shooting some kid fleeing your house or fleeing in a stolen car is never going to go well in the best of circumstances. It less than ideal circumstances, you end up being the criminal.
I believe that some states DO allow lethal force to protect property. Not sure about OK, but some do.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bystanders confronting crooks
A gunman opened fire inside an Oklahoma City restaurant, leading to two bystanders shooting him dead in the parking lot.

Oklahoma City Police said gunman Alexander Tilghman, who walked into Louie's Grill & Bar on the east side of Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City around 6:30 p.m. local time Thursday, shot three people: mom Natalie Giles, 39; her 12-year-old daughter, and another child. Another person fell and broke his arm during the incident, police said.

"A bystander with a pistol confronted the shooter outside the restaurant and fatally shot him," Oklahoma police tweeted Thursday night.

Friday morning, police updated that statement to say two people, Juan Carlos Nazario, 35, and Bryan Wittle, 39, shot the gunman.
The shooter was the only person who died in the incident. His identity was not confirmed as of Friday morning and his motive was unknown. Police said the incident is under investigation.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:27 pmAnother person fell and broke his arm during the incident, police said.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Moliere wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:23 am
From a legal perspective you should never say your intent was to kill. Instead you fired until the immediate threat to your life was over. If you're not in immediate danger you will go to jail for firing your gun. And frankly, your TV/car/etc is not worth the danger of shooting someone.
From a legal prespective, and a practical one, that's correct. The idea is to end the threat, nothing more, nothing less. From a mental preparedness standpoint though, and related to the article I was talking about, you have to understand that you may kill someone.

Like you don't shoot at a fleeing stolen truck out of anger or frustration or to make a point. You have to understand that you're using deadly force on the occupants and if you don't know who they are, you don't know your target.

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote:what the hell state can you possibly be in when you shoot at a fleeing child?
Texas?

gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

In that OKC case I wonder if either guy called dibs on shooting the shooter. Or was it a 'you go high, i go low' deal? They should give lessons on how to coordinate an impromptu response to mass shooters.
Rip

Post by Rip »

http://wreg.com/2018/06/02/homeowner-te ... t-memphis/
We spoke to the man who lives in that house.

He was too traumatized to do an interview, but told WREG he came home from the barber shop around 7 p.m. He saw his door pried open and heard his dog barking like crazy.

He says he then saw two men snooping through his house.
The men reportedly aimed a gun at him. He grabbed his weapon and opened fire.

Police said the attempted burglars were shot and died at the scene.

The homeowner was taken into custody but later released.

MPD sent an update on Twitter stating "no criminal charges will be filed at this point."

"We are living in a day and time where we don't use much wisdom. Like the young folks brevity of life, it's just like they don't care," said Harris.

The homeowner told WREG he's unsure who the guys were. He said this is the second time he's dealt with violence. His home was shot up in September.