Star Wars: Rebels......animated.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Star Wars: Rebels......animated.

Post by Daehawk »

I know there is a thread on this...if someone finds it plz post the link...I cant find it of course...never can.

http://starwars.com/explore/star-wars-rebels/

Its like Clone Wars but not going to be as dark as that one got.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Re: Star Wars: Rebels......toon

Post by Holman »

My kids loved the Clone Wars, and I was actually pretty impressed with the way they handled the SW universe. Watching Clone Wars was much more satisfying that watching Episode I.

I just heard about Rebels a little while ago. We don't have cable, so I guess we'll have to wait for Netflix.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Supposedly all Star Wars books are officially non-canon now, with all upcoming TV shows, movies, and video games being official canon. ( I think the books were already considered non-canon, but I think a lot of people unofficially considered at least Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire trilogy to be legit.)

With the new movies I think they're really wanting to draw a line in the sand going forward.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I believe the way it worked was that the expanded universe stuff was considered quasi-canon. It was canon, but anything that came from an official source overrode it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In this one the Empire is in it....Stormtroopers, Tie Fighters, and Star Destroyers.....woop.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Stormtroopers, yes, but no woop. Sorry.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Blackhawk wrote:I believe the way it worked was that the expanded universe stuff was considered quasi-canon. It was canon, but anything that came from an official source overrode it.
Sort of. It was actually quite a bit more complex than that, with layers upon layers of canon. I approve of the new simplification of the system. It means we'll no longer have to debate whether or not certain things are canon, and it means we should have far fewer instances of contradictory stories.
Insert witty comment here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have a friend that's a Star Wars nut, to the point where playing the Trivial Pursuit game, we made him answer all the questions on a card to get credit. We never argued about "canon" for post-movie stuff.

Now his nerd-rage about Vulcan in the first new Star Trek movie, that was something to behold.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TiLT wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:I believe the way it worked was that the expanded universe stuff was considered quasi-canon. It was canon, but anything that came from an official source overrode it.
Sort of. It was actually quite a bit more complex than that, with layers upon layers of canon. I approve of the new simplification of the system. It means we'll no longer have to debate whether or not certain things are canon, and it means we should have far fewer instances of contradictory stories.
What, you mean we won't have to wonder whether the events of Splinter of the Mind's Eye and the Holiday Special actually happened?
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Isgrimnur wrote:I have a friend that's a Star Wars nut, to the point where playing the Trivial Pursuit game, we made him answer all the questions on a card to get credit. We never argued about "canon" for post-movie stuff.

Now his nerd-rage about Vulcan in the first new Star Trek movie, that was something to behold.
That's not the kind of argument I'm talking about. I'm referring to things like Boba Fett's back story, which got overridden by the prequels without warning (and good riddance, if you ask me). I'm talking about people not being sure there actually is such a thing as a TIE Defender in the Star Wars canon as we go forward. These questions and issues will stop being relevant.
Blackhawk wrote:
TiLT wrote:
What, you mean we won't have to wonder whether the events of Splinter of the Mind's Eye and the Holiday Special actually happened?
Those were at the very bottom of the canon tiers, called N-canon (for non-canon). It's mostly the differences between G-canon (the movies), T-canon (the TV shows), and C-canon (the Expanded Universe) that causes problems.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What, you mean we won't have to wonder whether the events of Splinter of the Mind's Eye
As a kid I got that at the library and liked it so much I never returned it. I wonder what my fee is ??
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

YellowKing wrote:Supposedly all Star Wars books are officially non-canon now

Not quite. There's a sort of cut-off point where all of the former EU novels are labeled as "Legends", and to confuse the issue some more, there will be some new novels going forward that will be considered as part of the new canon. So, basically they're just wiping the slate clean so they don't have to deal with all that baggage.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

This isn't surprising. Nothing tracked in the EU from all of the Star Wars graphic novels I had from Empire Strikes Back through 1 year after Return of the Jedi. The origins of the Mandalorian Knights, background on the Clone War, the Hutts, Droid World, etc. all were tossed aside. Episode One made everything worse. It's a shame that Mom decided to store all my old comics in the leaky garage. :(

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just watched "Star Wars: Rebels". Lots of fun. Liked it way more than "Clone Wars". Think it will take them a couple of episodes to really hit their stride, but showed tremendous promise. My daughter said it was as if Star Wars and Firefly had a baby. Not a bad analogy.

If you access to Disney XD online (or the Disney XD streaming app on various devices) you can watch it now before it premieres on Disney XD next week.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Netflix? Hulu? Amazon?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hentzau wrote:Just watched "Star Wars: Rebels". Lots of fun. Liked it way more than "Clone Wars". Think it will take them a couple of episodes to really hit their stride, but showed tremendous promise. My daughter said it was as if Star Wars and Firefly had a baby. Not a bad analogy.

If you access to Disney XD online (or the Disney XD streaming app on various devices) you can watch it now before it premieres on Disney XD next week.
Do you need to have a cable subscription or something else you pay for to access Disney XD online?
Black Lives Matter.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

El Guapo wrote:
hentzau wrote:Just watched "Star Wars: Rebels". Lots of fun. Liked it way more than "Clone Wars". Think it will take them a couple of episodes to really hit their stride, but showed tremendous promise. My daughter said it was as if Star Wars and Firefly had a baby. Not a bad analogy.

Do you need to have a cable subscription or something else you pay for to access Disney XD online?
I believe so. It asks you for a provider when you launch the app or go into the videos online.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've just started watching Clone Wars and plan on watching Rebels. I'm also reading the first official Extended Universe novel, A New Dawn. Great time to be a Star Wars fan!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive only watched the shorts and character info stuff so far but I can already say my favorite character is Chopper.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Hey Daehawk, would you mind removing the "......toon" part from the thread title? It's driving the OCD parts of me nuts. :P

Watched the episode yesterday and was very pleasantly surprised. Unlike the somewhat forced personalities from the Clone Wars (due to Lucas' design), these ones felt much more natural and "real" for what the setting is. Kind of a mix between Firefly and Star Wars, but less about being dark and more about being fun. What makes this extra interesting is that the premise for the show is very close to how people have been running their Star Wars RPG campaigns for decades.

Edit: Thanks, but... uh... that's wasn't exactly what I meant.
Last edited by TiLT on Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Re: Star Wars: Rebels......animated.

Post by Holman »

The NYT had an article on Rebels this week, including some interesting background on the project.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Saw it this morning. Firefly + Star Wars + geared toward a younger market but without going into Jar-Jar Binks territory (yet) would be my description. I liked it, but not as much as Clone Wars.
Holman wrote:The NYT had an article on Rebels this week, including some interesting background on the project.

Disney hopes “Rebels” will finally put the five-year-old Disney XD on the map. The channel, aimed at boys 6 to 14 and available in 80 million homes, has lacked a breakout hit, with the somber “Tron: Uprising” a particular disappointment.

“We spoke to Lucasfilm extensively about including more comedy,” said Mr. Marsh of Disney Channels Worldwide. “The comedic element is what’s going to make ‘Rebels’ break through.”

Ugh.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Kelric wrote:Saw it this morning. Firefly + Star Wars + geared toward a younger market but without going into Jar-Jar Binks territory (yet) would be my description. I liked it, but not as much as Clone Wars.
Holman wrote:The NYT had an article on Rebels this week, including some interesting background on the project.

Disney hopes “Rebels” will finally put the five-year-old Disney XD on the map. The channel, aimed at boys 6 to 14 and available in 80 million homes, has lacked a breakout hit, with the somber “Tron: Uprising” a particular disappointment.

“We spoke to Lucasfilm extensively about including more comedy,” said Mr. Marsh of Disney Channels Worldwide. “The comedic element is what’s going to make ‘Rebels’ break through.”

Ugh.
So you didnt like the original trilogy? Because they said in the article, at least a few times, that that was the direction they wanted to go with Rebels. It isnt like they are going to go all Three Stooges on us, they just want to recapture the light hearted camaraderie that was missing from the second trilogy and, for the most part, Clone Wars. Thats not to say I didnt appreciate Clone Wars, it was actually important as it took the jarring transition of Anakin to Vader and filled in a lot of why that transition took place, something the movies failed at miserably. Its just going to be nice to get some Star Wars that isnt all dark and brooding.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

My guess it that this is the kind of thing they're aiming at:
[Han answers the intercom after comandeering an attack station]
Han Solo: [sounding official] Uh, everything's under control. Situation normal.
Voice: What happened?
Han Solo: [getting nervous] Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?
Voice: We're sending a squad up.
Han Solo: Uh, uh... negative, negative. We had a reactor leak here now. Give us a few minutes to lock it down. Large leak, very dangerous.
Voice: Who is this? What's your operating number?
Han Solo: Uh...
[Han shoots the intercom]
Han Solo: [muttering] Boring conversation anyway. LUKE, WE'RE GONNA HAVE COMPANY!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I watched episode 2 this week. The storyline has been interesting enough to keep watching even with the annoying teen angst angle. I only wish they would come up with original dialogue for C3PO. He makes the same references and uses the same lines in every movie and every TV series.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

rshetts2 wrote: So you didnt like the original trilogy? Because they said in the article, at least a few times, that that was the direction they wanted to go with Rebels. It isnt like they are going to go all Three Stooges on us, they just want to recapture the light hearted camaraderie that was missing from the second trilogy and, for the most part, Clone Wars. Thats not to say I didnt appreciate Clone Wars, it was actually important as it took the jarring transition of Anakin to Vader and filled in a lot of why that transition took place, something the movies failed at miserably. Its just going to be nice to get some Star Wars that isnt all dark and brooding.
I loved the original trilogy and still do, but of course I first saw it when I was a very small child. My tastes have changed somewhat (though I still have a few Star Wars Legos....). I'm going to give it a few more episodes provided I remember when it comes on.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Well, Lucas was likely INTENDING to add the light hearted camaraderie in the Second Trilogy with Jar Jar. And everyone hated him -- I would not be surprised if Lucas let things get darker as a result. He apparently had that instinct with the ending of the Original Trilogy, but knew it wouldn't fit the tone of the prior movies.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Kelric wrote:I'm going to give it a few more episodes provided I remember when it comes on.
Apparently I won't be watching it, as the person I shared the cable log in with no longer gets Disney XD. :(
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Star Wars Rebels Marathon on Disney XD today, starting at 3 central. Woo!!!

And apparently also on the Disney Channel in 15 minutes...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

RMC

Post by RMC »

I have this all recorded, and watched the first 2 part episode. I liked it, was a fun little show, that was okay for my kids to sit and watch with me.

So I guess I am optimistic about it.

Thanks for the book idea, YellowKing, I just ordered it from Amazon with the OO link :D
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

RMC wrote:Thanks for the book idea, YellowKing, I just ordered it from Amazon with the OO link
I actually just finished it over the weekend. While I wasn't completely blown away by it, I did enjoy getting some back story on Hera and Kanan.

I mentioned it in another Star Wars thread either here or on GT, but I feel like a lot of times they play it a little safe with books and shows. It's as if they're terrified to stray away too much from the movies, so you end up seeing the same basic plots and characters and situations over and over and over.

I'm hoping that once the new movies come out we'll see a little more creativity since content producers will no longer be locked into such a rigid timeline.

Next up for me will be Tarkin, which is, of course, the back story of Grand Moff Tarkin.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Billy Dee confirmed as in as Lando.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/12/ ... b01e00001d
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Daehawk wrote:Billy Dee confirmed as in as Lando.

Sweet now all he needs is to do is some Colt 45 commercials and his journey to the Dark Side will be complete!
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

rshetts2 wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Billy Dee confirmed as in as Lando.

Sweet now all he needs is to do is some Colt 45 commercials and his journey to the Dark Side will be complete!
I remember those
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

The problem with having Billy Dee Williams play Lando these days is that he no longer sounds like Lando. That was a problem when he appeared in a computer game (Jedi Knight 2?) a decade ago too.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

But in the last episode it was pretty sweet having Frank Oz back doing Yoda.

BTW, I think that last episode was my favorite of the bunch. I always felt that Luke's ascension to Jedi was really missing something. That something was what they did in the last episode of Rebels.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

For those of you who have watched the show with kids, how old are your kids? In general how age appropriate is the show?

My daughter's 5.5, and wound up seeing part of A New Hope at a friend's house, so now she's interested in Star Wars. I would love to watch this with her, but I'm trying to figure out if this would be age appropriate, or whether it's too soon for her.
Black Lives Matter.
RMC

Post by RMC »

El Guapo wrote:For those of you who have watched the show with kids, how old are your kids? In general how age appropriate is the show?

My daughter's 5.5, and wound up seeing part of A New Hope at a friend's house, so now she's interested in Star Wars. I would love to watch this with her, but I'm trying to figure out if this would be age appropriate, or whether it's too soon for her.
I have a 7 and 10 year old daughter that watched it with me. They were mildly interested, but not really caught up in it.

My 5 year old, almost 6 year old daughter was meh about it.

But other than explosions, and fighting, there was no bad language or anything that was bad for the kids to see it.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat