Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Cops behaving badly

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Punisher wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:18 pm
Paingod wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:26 pm
Moliere wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:25 pmWoman attacked by police K9 while taking out the trash.
Jesus.

"What did I do to him?!"
"Nothing. Nothing. You were in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Bullshit. More like ... "We were walking our combat trained animal and letting it drift out of sight and around corners 20 feet ahead of us. Totally our fault."
I don't know. It didn't look like she was separating her recyclables...
j/k
Anyway, probably not a good idea to try pulling her arm out that way. The dogs teeth are curved inward. You should try to put your arm/hand towards the throat.
Common sense skills for everyday living

#31: Check the weather before leaving the house, be sure to dress appropriately.

#32: When assaulted by a police K9, remember to force your fist down it's throat. The teeth curve inward, LOL!

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Punisher wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:18 pm Anyway, probably not a good idea to try pulling her arm out that way. The dogs teeth are curved inward. You should try to put your arm/hand towards the throat.
Good luck remembering that while being mauled. I'm guessing most people would be in panic mode. If you were being facetious then disregard my response. I was channeling GreenGoo.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

:snooty:
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Moliere wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:48 pm
Punisher wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:18 pm Anyway, probably not a good idea to try pulling her arm out that way. The dogs teeth are curved inward. You should try to put your arm/hand towards the throat.
Good luck remembering that while being mauled. I'm guessing most people would be in panic mode. If you were being facetious then disregard my response. I was channeling GreenGoo.
I was referring to the cop that kept on pulling her. I would think the handler would know about this, but in the heat of the moment, I guess things happen.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Convicted. Chips showed up because... We don't know but it wasn't for why they said they were there. For smoking outside his home? I don't know.

Bodycam footage... released one hour before trial...

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/cr ... 00449.html
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Officers with the Topeka Police Department knew about the contents of the video in late September 2014, more than a month before the trial, Ganieany wrote in a motion.

But the department didn’t make the video available to the prosecution until just one hour before the trial “and made no indication that there was anything inconsistent with the officer’s report on the video,” Ganieany wrote.
A recent investigation by The Star showed that Kansas has one of the most restrictive laws on police body cameras in the country. Footage is classified as an investigative record and not subject to mandatory disclosure under the Kansas Open Records Act.
So the police department put him through all of this crap knowing damn well that he wasn't guilty at all. Policing needs to change around this country, that's really really bad.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Call of Duty gaming community points to ‘swatting’ in deadly Wichita police shooting
“A male came to the front door,” Livingston said. “As he came to the front door, one of our officers discharged his weapon.”

Livingston didn’t say if the man, who was 28, had a weapon when he came to the door, or what caused the officer to shoot the man. Police don’t think the man fired at officers, but the incident is still under investigation, he said. The man, who has not been identified by police, died at a local hospital.

A family member identified that man who was shot by police as Andrew Finch. One of Finch’s cousins said Finch didn’t play video games.
Answer the door, get shot. I hope they catch the crank caller. We'll see how the cop justifies the shooting.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Looks like they have a decent idea who did this.That said it still doesn't explain the shooting. What always disturbs me the most is this is *normal* in the United States.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I don’t think it’s going to be normal for very long.
Black Lives Matter
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Lorini wrote:I don’t think it’s going to be normal for very long.
Hehe.

Oh wait, you're not joking.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jail time might be discouraging, who knows.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

malchior wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:38 am Looks like they have a decent idea who did this.That said it still doesn't explain the shooting. What always disturbs me the most is this is *normal* in the United States.
Update 2: Los Angeles police have arrested 25-year-old Tyler Barriss on a warrant from Wichita for making the hoax phone call.
Krebs article
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

He’s being held without bail which is interesting. Wonder how that will turn out. On the other hand he probably shouldn’t be close to a phone.
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I understand police need some leeway in being able to pro-actively protect themselves. You can't expect a cop to allow himself or herself to be shot before taking action. However I think we've reached a point where things have swung too far the other way.

If I'm a cop, coming to someone's house in response to a call, then I should be alert, yes. But I don't even know for a fact crime of any type has been committed. So when I knock at the door, I'm bothering them. I'm the one who needs to cut them slack. There's no way this should end with me shooting the guy who answers the door when no officer has been attacked and no weapon has been wielded by the resident, or even seen by anyone.

It would be different if the police were in pursuit of someone from the scene of a crime. It's just mind boggling that someone dies because they answered when the police knocked.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

But the false call did describe a dangerous crime. Dad was somehow shot in the head during an argument and now the caller was holding family members hostage. We don't know why the officer fired, but I would say he had reason to be more than just "alert" in this case.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Freyland wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:51 pm But the false call did describe a dangerous crime. Dad was somehow shot in the head during an argument and now the caller was holding family members hostage. We don't know why the officer fired, but I would say he had reason to be more than just "alert" in this case.
Not necessary. They could have shot him anyway.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:27 pm
Freyland wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:51 pm But the false call did describe a dangerous crime. Dad was somehow shot in the head during an argument and now the caller was holding family members hostage. We don't know why the officer fired, but I would say he had reason to be more than just "alert" in this case.
Not necessary. They could have shot him anyway.
While I firmly believe that qualified immunity has its place and should exist, it does appear to be broken and in the need of fixing.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

PA state detectives catch Leechburg Police Chief in underage sex sting.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

L.A. 'swatting' suspect to answer charges in Kansas over hoax call that led to fatal police shooting
The Los Angeles man at the center of what is believed to be the first fatal "swatting" incident in the U.S. is being held on suspicion of manslaughter in connection with a hoax phone call that led to a deadly shooting in Kansas, records show.

Tyler Rai Barriss, 25, was booked Thursday on suspicion of involuntary manslaughter and interference with law enforcement, according to Wichita police records. Barriss has also been accused of making a false alarm,a felony.
I was wondering how they would connect him to the killing. I guess involuntary manslaughter fits the definition even if the cop is negligent in the shooting too.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I hope they can convict him and throw the book at him.
Meanwhile the cop who did the actual killing gets off scot free.
Justice.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

1) Husband threatens to hurt himself.
2) Wife calls the cops for assistance.
3) Husband and wife are outside, unarmed, and discussing the situation with the cops.
4) Cop inside the house shoots the family dog.
5) Bullet ricocheted off the concrete floor and hit their 9-year-old daughter. Fortunately only minor wounds.

Lesson? Don't call the cops for assistance.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah I saw that. Jury ignored him and convicted anyway. Way to go jury.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Police union slashes number of ‘get out of jail free’ cards issued
The city’s police-officers union is cracking down on the number of “get out of jail free” courtesy cards distributed to cops to give to family and friends.

Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association boss Pat Lynch slashed the maximum number of cards that could be issued to current cops from 30 to 20, and to retirees from 20 to 10, sources told The Post.

The cards are often used to wiggle out of minor trouble such as speeding tickets, the theory being that presenting one suggests you know someone in the NYPD.

The rank and file is livid.

“They are treating active members like s–t, and retired members even worse than s–t,” griped an NYPD cop who retired on disability. “All the cops I spoke to were . . . very disappointed they couldn’t hand them out as Christmas gifts.”
Uh, fuck you NYPD cop who retired on disability. People don't get to break the law because they're friends/family with a cop.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:whistle:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Border Patrol stops a Greyhound bus and starts demanding to see everyone's papers.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

What border is there in Florida that you can drive a bus across? Maybe they didn't want any Alabamanians sneaking in?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Georgia and Alabama are essentially foreign countries.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Moliere wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:02 pm Georgia and Alabama are essentially foreign countries.
Not one of those shithole countries, I hope.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Who brings proof of citizenship with them anywhere in the US? You'd need passport or birth certificate, right? State IDs don't count.

That's awful, stopping a bus like that. Fuck.

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moliere wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:17 pm Police union slashes number of ‘get out of jail free’ cards issued
The city’s police-officers union is cracking down on the number of “get out of jail free” courtesy cards distributed to cops to give to family and friends.

Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association boss Pat Lynch slashed the maximum number of cards that could be issued to current cops from 30 to 20, and to retirees from 20 to 10, sources told The Post.

The cards are often used to wiggle out of minor trouble such as speeding tickets, the theory being that presenting one suggests you know someone in the NYPD.

The rank and file is livid.

“They are treating active members like s–t, and retired members even worse than s–t,” griped an NYPD cop who retired on disability. “All the cops I spoke to were . . . very disappointed they couldn’t hand them out as Christmas gifts.”
Uh, fuck you NYPD cop who retired on disability. People don't get to break the law because they're friends/family with a cop.
It also appears as if these were being sold for extra income. They show up on Ebay apparently, and can go for over $100. There is some question as to whether the ebay ones may be counterfeit, of course...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:11 pm Who brings proof of citizenship with them anywhere in the US? You'd need passport or birth certificate, right? State IDs don't count.

So, if I was on a bus and these guys came on board and asked for this info what would happen if I refused them. As an old white guy I am sure they wouldn't care, but what right do they have to ask for ID from everyone on a bus?
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

These guys aren't even the official paper checkers. They're not wearing the right colour uniforms.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'd put on my best "shithole country" accent and tell them to kiss my American ass.

MYT
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:11 pm Who brings proof of citizenship with them anywhere in the US? You'd need passport or birth certificate, right? State IDs don't count.

Yeah, this doesn't make sense I know I dont carry my passport or birth certificate (and not everyone even has a passport)..
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Punisher wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:29 pm

Yeah, this doesn't make sense I know I dont carry my passport or birth certificate (and not everyone even has a passport)..
It makes sense as a fishing expedition. No one will have proof so they can harass whoever they want.

MYT
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:26 pm

So, if I was on a bus and these guys came on board and asked for this info what would happen if I refused them. As an old white guy I am sure they wouldn't care, but what right do they have to ask for ID from everyone on a bus?
They don't. It's illegal. You cannot be detained unless you are suspected of a crime, and you do not have to furnish id to a police officer, again, unless you are suspected of a crime. All you need to do is ask if you are suspected of a crime and if you are being detained.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Grifman wrote:
Scuzz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:26 pm

They don't. It's illegal. You cannot be detained unless you are suspected of a crime, and you do not have to furnish id to a police officer, again, unless you are suspected of a crime. All you need to do is ask if you are suspected of a crime and if you are being detained.
ICE can make it a little difficult for you even though Americans cannot be detained.

From an NPR story:

You Say You're An American, But What If You Had To Prove It Or Be Deported?

"In the U.S., people accused of crimes have an automatic right to an attorney. But those accused for the first time of entering the country illegally actually face civil — not criminal — charges, so they don't have a right to court-appointed legal counsel, making the process of proving they're American that much harder.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement declined NPR's request for an interview. But an official speaking on background said the agency takes claims of citizenship seriously and has already set up mechanisms, such as an 800 number, to prevent this from happening. This is a complex problem, the official said, and many times individuals might not even know they're citizens when they're picked up by immigration.

"It is more common for ICE to encounter people who attempt to avoid removal by falsely stating they are U.S. citizens," the official said.

What's more, the official said it is not that agency's job to determine citizenship. Instead, a final determination is made by immigration judges and, on appeal, by federal judges.

Still, even though it's unlawful for American citizens to be held in ICE-ordered detention, neither local authorities nor immigration officials treat these cases any differently than they would a case involving someone who is truly in the country illegally. "

What the fuck do I do as an Asian American other than bend over for ICE. I don't have the skin color or the last name of Smith to tell them to fuck off. And they're not cops who usually don't ask about immigration status.

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?