Cops behaving badly

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: Cops behaving badly

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:The number one cause of police fatalities isn't getting shot, it's automobile accidents. Including getting sideswiped while assisting/ticketing other motorists. That's really why I did a double take.
2014 figures
Line of Duty Deaths: 134

9/11 related illness: 7
Assault: 2
Automobile accident: 27
Drowned: 2
Duty related illness: 3
Fire: 1
Gunfire: 47
Gunfire (Accidental): 2
Heart attack: 19
Motorcycle accident: 4
Struck by vehicle: 5
Vehicle pursuit: 5
Vehicular assault: 10
49 firearm deaths, 51 deaths caused by vehicles of some sort. It's a tossup, statistically. This year so far is 20 to 30.
"Vehicle pursuit" (which I assume means auto accidents during a high-speed chase) and "struck by vehicle" (which could happen while changing a tire) are separate from "automobile accident." Does the latter simply mean accidents that occur during routine driving?

Of course "routine driving" is different for cops. They often travel at high speed when not in active pursuit, e.g. racing to an accident or crime scene. I can see why the numbers might be high.

Actually it's "9/11 related illnesses" that's most arresting. 7 in that year alone?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Be nervous when a cop asks "are you some kind of Constitutionalist?" while he is holding a drawn gun.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'd like to hear more about the history between the person holding the camera and the police department. I also would think that keeping your hands in your pocket when a policeman asks you to remove them is really, really stupid.

However, that doesn't mean the cop wasn't abusing his power and acting in a manner that I think should result in his immediate firing.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: "Vehicle pursuit" (which I assume means auto accidents during a high-speed chase) and "struck by vehicle" (which could happen while changing a tire) are separate from "automobile accident." Does the latter simply mean accidents that occur during routine driving?

Of course "routine driving" is different for cops. They often travel at high speed when not in active pursuit, e.g. racing to an accident or crime scene. I can see why the numbers might be high.
Responding to calls would fall under "automobile accident. " Wasn't it the Lafayette shooting recently where two responding squad cars collided resulting in a fatality? And "Officer down" calls are often the most dangerous as fellow officers race to the scene.

Holman wrote:Actually it's "9/11 related illnesses" that's most arresting. 7 in that year alone?
From what I understand, mostly respiratory illnesses and cancer that are likely attributable, but not with 100% certainty, to 9/11 response. Lots of toxic smoke, particles, and asbestos.

See the Zadroga Law.

You want a shocking stat? The number of K9 deaths due to "heat exhaustion" (which is usually being locked and cooked in their handler's car).
2015 K9 Line of Duty Deaths: 17
Animal related: 2
Automobile accident: 1
Drowned: 1
Fire: 2
Gunfire: 2
Heat exhaustion: 7
Poisoned: 1
Struck by vehicle: 1
Last edited by LawBeefaroni on Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Binktopia

Post by Binktopia »

That is interesting about the K-9 units. I mean, aren't they professional dog handlers who should know that dogs can DIE in a car with no ventilation?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Cop pulls gun on citizen filming him (not far from where I live):
In the video, McComas starts recording as the officer slowly drives down his street and idles in front of his house. McComas wrote on the post that he was outside hitching a boat to his vehicle when the officer drove by.

The officer pulls the patrol SUV up toward McComas, who appears to be standing on or near his driveway, and idles for nearly a minute and a half before powering down the window, and holding up what appears to be a phone or camera. About 26 seconds later, the officer opens the door and gets out, walking toward McComas and speaking into the radio unit on his shoulder. With his hand on the holstered gun, the officer says, “Hi, go ahead and take your hand out of your pocket.”

“No, sir, I’ve done nothing. I’ve done absolutely nothing,” McComas says.

The officer says, “Hey, seriously,” as he draws his weapon, pointing the barrel of the handgun toward the ground.

“Put your gun down, really?” McComas says.

He continues talking, stating, “This one’s really got a gun on me,” and the officer briefly raises the gun as McComas tosses his keys and a second phone on top of his car. McComas’ hand is then visible as he points at the officer and says, “No, you don’t touch me, you don’t touch me.”

The officer holds the gun, pointed at the ground, for just over two minutes while the men talk, and at points argue. During the conversation, the officer states, “I don’t even know who you are.”
Video can be found here.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It can also be found about four posts above yours. :wink:
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

hepcat wrote:It can also be found about four posts above yours. :wink:
I must be on his Foe list so he doesn't see my posts. :ninja:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Bounty hunters try to raid Phoenix police chief's home

It sounds like the bounty hunters might have been tricked into thinking a fugitive could be found at a particular address, which also happened to be where the police chief lived.
:pop:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moliere wrote:
hepcat wrote:It can also be found about four posts above yours. :wink:
I must be on his Foe list so he doesn't see my posts. :ninja:
Sorry, I didn't click through the first time I saw it. :oops:

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

An ‘unarmed’ white teen was shot dead by police. His family asks: Where is the outrage?
WaPo wrote:Zachary Hammond was on a first date when he was fatally shot by a police officer in his car during a drug bust in South Carolina, his family says.

At the time the 19-year-old was shot and killed, his date, Tori Morton, was eating an ice cream cone, according to the family’s attorney, Eric Bland.

Morton, 23, was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana — all 10 grams of it — which, according to police, was the reason undercover agents set up the drug buy.

The official police report never mentioned the two gunshots that killed Hammond on July 26 in a Hardees parking lot. Seneca police say a second report — which has not been released to the public — details the officer’s account of the shooting.

Amid heightened scrutiny of fatal police shootings across the country, Hammond’s death has prompted numerous questions, few answers — and almost no national outrage.

Police say the officer was a victim of “attempted murder” by Hammond, who was driving the vehicle. According to Seneca Police Chief John Covington, Hammond was driving the car “toward the officer” who was trying to make the stop.

The officer fired twice, striking Hammond in the shoulder and torso.

His death was classified as a homicide; an autopsy conducted by the Oconee County Coroner’s Office did not specify from which direction the bullets hit Hammond’s body.

On Wednesday, Hammond’s family released the results of a private autopsy, which concluded that both bullets entered Hammond’s body from the back. According to the autopsy, the second bullet proved to be fatal, entering from the back of Hammond’s left side and passing through his chest, piercing his lungs and heart.

In a statement Wednesday, Coroner Karl E. Addis said he does not know how Hammond’s body was positioned at the time he was shot.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

a) We have to know about it to be outraged by it. So that's the first step. Blame the media's lack of interest, perhaps.
b) Kid was killed during a drug sting. Do I think Marijuana should be legal? Yes. But that doesn't change the fact that he was killed during a drug bust. That alone colours things pretty seriously.
c) Details please. Now that I know this event occurred, I'd like to know what happened. When cops are going into a situation that THEY are the ones fully informed and know what's going on, it's hard to imagine a scenario where they are in such poor control of the situation that they need to shoot an unarmed kid.

If he had been shot 10 minutes after the drug deal went down while walking down the street minding his own business, with lots of contradictory eye witnesses telling us he was on his knees with his hands behind his head, you can be damn sure there would be more media interest and more national outrage.

How many people were killed on the same day? I don't have the energy or time to lose my shit for each and every one of them. Asking me where my outrage is, I'd have to say I'm saving it for a special occasion.

Feel free to riot though, if that helps.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote:Details please.
I haven't dug into it, but my understanding by what I read elsewhere is that this kid was with a girl he wanted to date and she asked for a ride. He took her somewhere and it turns out she wanted to sell some weed to someone. That someone was a cop, and when his uniformed backup showed up, the kid spooked and tried to escape - because "Holy shit! I'm involved in a drug bust!" isn't a great first date. He gets killed for trying to drive away.

That could be an inaccurate recount, but it's what seems to be the case from what I read.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

From what I posted and read earlier.

Cops say he aimed his car at the arresting officer, so he shot at him twice in defense in the upper body.
Parents/lawyer say the kid was shot in the back and the autopsy reveals the car was not moving.
Police report says he was shot through the drivers window.

None of it fits together and sure sounds wild for a drug bust for $50 worth of weed.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LordMortis wrote:None of it fits together
That's for damn sure. Maybe he had it in Park, and then mashed the accelerator when the cop showed up - revving the engine, and making the cop panic and shoot?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Of course it's tragic. And it sounds like this kid had his life ended by another overzealous cop. But attempts to try and use any tragedy like this as evidence that black people in America are the only people who deserve justice in the eyes of some perceived group of people (we all know who, but they always leave that out until they get to their facebook posts), and that whites are now being treated unfairly, is ridiculous. Of course I understand that the parents are upset. That they're lashing out. But they're lashing out at the wrong people. The police involved in the shooting are the ones who are at fault here. Period.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: None of it fits together and sure sounds wild for a drug bust for $50 worth of weed.
Welcome to the War on Drugs.

This one isn't about cops killing unarmed kids, this is about terrible drug laws and overzealous enforcement of them.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote:Of course it's tragic. And it sounds like this kid had his life ended by another overzealous cop. But attempts to try and use any tragedy like this as evidence that black people in America are the only people who deserve justice in the eyes of some perceived group of people (we all know who, but they always leave that out until they get to their facebook posts), and that whites are now being treated unfairly, is ridiculous. Of course I understand that the parents are upset. That they're lashing out. But they're lashing out at the wrong people. The police involved in the shooting are the ones who are at fault here. Period.
I missed this. The slant I was seeing was an article attacking #alllivesmatter people whom ignore these sorts of things and that the #blacklivesmatter people were Internet supportive or outraged or whatever it is we do on the Internet. I also tried to ignore all of the political snark because what it really seems to be (though later facts my change my opinion) is another example of abuse of police authority, where police try to control a situation with violence that resulted in a teenagers death for something small. And that's what needs to be highlighted.
Holman

Post by Holman »

If people are really interested in protecting citizens from overuse of police violence, why focus on comparative racial outrage instead of the core issue? Are most of Outraged actually concerned about police violence, or are they just resentful of minorities?

Police killings of blacks get attention now because the pattern itself has become the story. Some of the most well-known incidents weren't well-known at first. Only activism brought them attention.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

His death made it to CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/06/us/seneca ... VODtopLink

The report seems to sum up what I believe I know so far.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote:His death made it to CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/06/us/seneca ... VODtopLink

The report seems to sum up what I believe I know so far.
Kathryn Richardson, a spokeswoman for SLED, said the investigation is continuing. Richardson also confirmed there is dashcam video of the incident but would not say when it would be released.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I love how all the media outlets pick it up with the "where's the outrage?" titles when they're one of the prime drivers of outrage and national attention. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

:?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Isgrimnur wrote:I love how all the media outlets pick it up with the "where's the outrage?" titles when they're one of the prime drivers of outrage and national attention. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

It depends. They definitely add fuel to the fire, but I'm not sure they create the outrage to begin with. I think it's more local stories spread and then the national groups pick it up when the radio chatter is high enough and then it explodes.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

noxiousdog wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:I love how all the media outlets pick it up with the "where's the outrage?" titles when they're one of the prime drivers of outrage and national attention. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

It depends. They definitely add fuel to the fire, but I'm not sure they create the outrage to begin with. I think it's more local stories spread and then the national groups pick it up when the radio chatter is high enough and then it explodes.
It usually takes shocking phone video that spreads on social media to kick off a movement ("I can't breathe!").

MYT
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:

It usually takes shocking phone video that spreads on social media to kick off a movement ("I can't breathe!").
True, though I don't think it did for Michael Brown.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

noxiousdog wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:

Because Michael Brown came very soon after Garner. It was part of the same wave. Although social media did play a big part there, with the photos of Browns body sitting in the sun for two hours or however long it was. And then the police reaction to protests.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Off-campus stops terminated
According to Fox 15, the entire University of Cincinnati police force off-campus patrolling has been terminated. The Law and Public Safety Committee approved the ordinance as stops dating back to Jan. 1, 2013 were reviewed. In that year, the city approved the UC police to enforce traffic stops off campus.

Records revealed that their numbers nearly tripled with white stops doubling from 579 in 2013 to 932 and black stops quadrupling from 633 in 2013 to 2,354 this year alone. Officials are staying away from the racial profiling label until the investigation is complete. In what council members call a limited area, the numbers surprised many during the Law and Public Safety Committee meeting on Monday.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Chicago police commander Evans trial.
A judge has ruled that DNA taken from the gun that a Chicago police commander allegedly shoved into the throat of a suspect can be submitted as evidence during his trial.
Evans was arrested after an investigation of the 2013 incident involving the capture of a suspect. Prosecutors accuse the high-ranking, 30-year veteran of shoving a gun down the Rickey Williams' [not Ricky Williams] throat, putting a Taser to his groin, and threatening to kill if the man did not tell him where his gun was.

No gun was ever found and charges against the suspect were dropped. Evans has pleaded not guilty to aggravated battery and official misconduct charges.
In the South Side community where Evans lives, neighbors said Thursday they're supporting the man who keeps their area safe.

"I've known him since he was 6 or 7 years old," Barbara McNeal said. "If it wasn't for Glenn Evans, our block probably would be drug-infested, gang-banging and everything else."

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

:D

Dance puppets, dance!

But more importantly give us ratings!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Police Have Killed at Least 1,083 Americans Since Michael Brown's Death
While the bulk of those killed from August 2014 to August 2015 were white, black people per population were more than twice as likely to be killed by cops than any other race, the data showed. African Americans are also more than three times as likely to be killed by police than white people, according to the statistics.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:

Because Michael Brown came very soon after Garner. It was part of the same wave. Although social media did play a big part there, with the photos of Browns body sitting in the sun for two hours or however long it was. And then the police reaction to protests.
Michael Brown was before Garner, but agreed.
Black Lives Matter

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

noxiousdog wrote: Michael Brown was before Garner, but agreed.
He was mentioned here at OO before Brown died. Right? Or am I completely addled?

The Garner killing "blew up" after the grand jury results but the two were equated long before that.

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yeah, AFAIK Brown hit the media pretty immediately, then Garner got swept up in it.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Moliere wrote:
Apologies and retraction in 3..2..
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LAPD doctorsaudiotape to get cartoonist fired (actually provides misleading transcript - not actually doctored, AFAIK):
In his May 11 column, LAPD's crosswalk crackdown: Don't police have something better to do?, Rall recalled the 14-year-old incident where, caught jaywalking by a police officer, he was pushed against a wall and handcuffed in the street while onlookers complained. ..

...The LAPD, however, had a recording of the incident, and provided a transcript to the Times. The column was soon appended with a note from editor Nicholas Goldberg, saying that Rall's description was "inconsistent," insinuating that he had lied about the encounter, and announcing that he had been fired.
However...
The transcript provided to the Times depicts a calm encounter, but the audiotape that came with it is a murky, noisy mess.

Greg Palast, famous investigative reporter and manager of a nonprofit foundation that backs Rall's work, writes that he was also about to fire him as well, but asked for the tape first to hear it for himself.

"To my surprise–and Rall’s glee–the crowd that he had allegedly fantasized about suddenly came alive–with three women shouting, 'Why’d you handcuff him?' and 'Take off his handcuffs!,'" Palast wrote. ...

...With background noise removed and voices sharpened, the tape—though still indistinct—appears to show bystanders mocking the officer for cuffing a jaywalker. Other sounds consistent with Rall's version of events can also be heard, such as a loud zipping noise that could be plastic handcuffs being applied.

Moreover, the Times itself had published a story describing the motorcycle cop in question handcuffing people during traffic stops, refuting suggestions he had never done so.

At The Observer, Ken Kurson writes that the Times set out to destroy Rall's reputation and that the enhanced audio is "very persuasive".

"Publications that fire employees for the slightest perceived infraction are turning journalists into cowering stenographers," Kurson wrote, "which is no better for journalism than if they were liars … I can’t help but wonder if this two-month-old column about a 14-year-old jaywalking ticket isn’t more about getting rid of a guy who can be a pain in the ass than about inviolable journalistic standards."

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Very tone deaf.

However, I've spoken to a few cops about it (I'm loathe to bring the whole subject up but they always seem to) and they all agree that Wilson got screwed. Basically they all say, "That guy's career is ruined for no reason..." Whether that's professional bias or them making bad assumptions or the right call I have no idea but I can totally see the union making that declaration unabashedly.

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Spring woman claims constitutional violation in body cavity probe
A Spring woman claims sheriff's deputies violated constitutional protections by conducting a body cavity search on the concrete of a Texaco gas station parking lot during a routine traffic stop in late June.

Charnesia Corley, a 21-year-old African American, was driving in northern Harris County around 10:30 p.m. on June 21 when a male deputy pulled her over for allegedly running a stop sign. He said he smelled marijuana, handcuffed Corley, put her in his vehicle and searched her car for almost an hour. He didn't find any pot, according to her attorney, Sam Cammack.

Returning to his car where Corley was held, the deputy again said he smelled marijuana and called in a female deputy to conduct a cavity search. When the female deputy arrived, she told Corley to pull her pants down, but Corley protested because she was cuffed and had no underwear on. The deputy ordered Corley to bend over, pulled down her pants and began to search her.
WTF?! "I smell weed so we're going to do a cavity search here at the Texaco." I hope she sues the shit out of the police department. :evil:
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Moliere wrote:Spring woman claims constitutional violation in body cavity probe
A Spring woman claims sheriff's deputies violated constitutional protections by conducting a body cavity search on the concrete of a Texaco gas station parking lot during a routine traffic stop in late June.

Charnesia Corley, a 21-year-old African American, was driving in northern Harris County around 10:30 p.m. on June 21 when a male deputy pulled her over for allegedly running a stop sign. He said he smelled marijuana, handcuffed Corley, put her in his vehicle and searched her car for almost an hour. He didn't find any pot, according to her attorney, Sam Cammack.

Returning to his car where Corley was held, the deputy again said he smelled marijuana and called in a female deputy to conduct a cavity search. When the female deputy arrived, she told Corley to pull her pants down, but Corley protested because she was cuffed and had no underwear on. The deputy ordered Corley to bend over, pulled down her pants and began to search her.
WTF?! "I smell weed so we're going to do a cavity search here at the Texaco." I hope she sues the shit out of the police department. :evil:
From what I can tell they found weed.
According to court documents, Corley was arrested for possession of marijuana and for resisting arrest; a criminal complaint says Corley pushed a deputy with her hip and kicked her with her foot. KTRK TV reports deputies seized a half-gram of marijuana, but didn't say where it was located.
That doesn't mean it's okay to do the search in a public place, though, so sue away.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni