Cops behaving badly

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

GreenGoo

Re: Cops behaving badly

Post by GreenGoo »

Come on, he has tucked the gun into his side so it is hard for witnesses to see, but the motorcyclist has it in full view, he doesn't present any I'd, and there are no sirens so there is no way to know there is a cop car behind him without looking explicitly and no reason to have done so.

When a cop asks you why you broke the law, what's the correct response? Have you stopped beating your wife?

That video scared me. I can't imagine a cop behaving like that.

Lawbeef, you see demeanour change once he has id, I see demeanour change when he realises the motorcyclist is completely cowed.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

My then husband and I had that happen to us. We apparently cut off a policewoman who was in plainclothes and in a plain car. She got out of the car and started screaming at us, no id, nothing. We were scared shitless with her having a gun. We didn't know what to do. Finally my husband apologized several times (he just figured he must have done something she thought was wrong) and she let us go. It took us at least half an hour to calm down. It was awful.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Lawbeef, you see demeanour change once he has id, I see demeanour change when he realises the motorcyclist is completely cowed.
I see a cop who saw a "white" name on the ID.

In other horrifying news:
The woman can be heard telling the officer, from Cobb County in Georgia, that she is afraid to move her hands because she "has seen way too many videos of cops".

She was cut off by Abbott, who replied: "But you’re not black. Remember, we only shoot black people.

“We only kill black people, right? All the videos you’ve seen, have you seen the black people get killed?”
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Moliere wrote:Detective approaches motorcyclist, gun out, without identifying himself. Scary.
jesus fuck I hope that crazy bastard loses his job
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
The woman can be heard telling the officer, from Cobb County in Georgia, that she is afraid to move her hands because she "has seen way too many videos of cops".

She was cut off by Abbott, who replied: "But you’re not black. Remember, we only shoot black people.

“We only kill black people, right? All the videos you’ve seen, have you seen the black people get killed?”
I'm surprised there isn't active rioting in the streets right now. That is horrible and disheartening, and also will undermine every legal action taken against African American citizens, even when completely legitimate. And this quote from the article:

"He is cooperating with the department's internal investigation and will continue to do so. His comments must be observed in their totality to understand their context.

"He was attempting to de-escalate a situation involving an uncooperative passenger. In context, his comments were clearly aimed at attempting to gain compliance by using the passenger’s own statements and reasoning to avoid making an arrest.”

"He's not racist! He was just playing along with the obviously implied (not) racism of the driver!" :roll:
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Freyland wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:

I'm surprised there isn't active rioting in the streets right now. That is horrible and disheartening, and also will undermine every legal action taken against African American citizens, even when completely legitimate. And this quote from the article:

"He is cooperating with the department's internal investigation and will continue to do so. His comments must be observed in their totality to understand their context.

"He was attempting to de-escalate a situation involving an uncooperative passenger. In context, his comments were clearly aimed at attempting to gain compliance by using the passenger’s own statements and reasoning to avoid making an arrest.”

"He's not racist! He was just playing along with the obviously implied (not) racism of the driver!" :roll:
Even that rationale is telling. With some uncooperative passengers, you utilize complex psychology and role play to gain compliance. With others (you know the ones), you shoot them.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rip

Post by Rip »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
GreenGoo wrote: Lawbeef, you see demeanour change once he has id, I see demeanour change when he realises the motorcyclist is completely cowed.

Hardly horrifying, he was trying to be sarcastically funny (unwisely) to get the lady to relax. But only a moron would think he was seriously suggesting they do that.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rip wrote:

Hardly horrifying, he was trying to be sarcastically funny (unwisely) to get the lady to relax. But only a moron would think he was seriously suggesting they do that.
Riiiight.

No one thinks he is saying it is a matter of policy. What is horrifying is the extremely poor judgement and the fact that those words came out of his mouth duing a traffic stop.

That's something you might shrug off at the bar at 4am. Not something to say to a member of the public.

MYT
Rip

Post by Rip »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Rip wrote:

Riiiight.

No one thinks he is saying it is a matter of policy. What is horrifying is the extremely poor judgement and the fact that those words came out of his mouth duing a traffic stop.

That's something you might shrug off at the bar at 4am. Not something to say to a member of the public.
I fully agree, not appropriate. But hardly "horrifying".
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rip wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Rip wrote:

Riiiight.

I fully agree, not appropriate. But hardly "horrifying".
You don't think that video in today's climate is a big deal? Cops (the good ones) already have it bad enough. That's just more shit that will be used against them by politicians, media, and every uncooperative asshole the happens to get pulled over. Hearts and minds.

MYT
Rip

Post by Rip »

I see that as a problem with politicians, media, and every uncooperative assholes.

Not so much a problem with a cop who says something not quite politically correct.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

No, that was a stupid thing to say.

The right thing to say is to reassure the citizen that no one will do any shooting.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Rip wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:

Honestly.

WHAT

THE

FUCK

RIP ?

You are such a engaged and prolific piece of (just kidding, you really make such a great contribution) white-trash champion.

Hooray. So happy you are part of our group.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Unagi wrote:Hooray. So happy you are part of our group.
I am too. It's good to have people around to remind us that there's more to the world and we can't just be a homogeneous hive-mind. I hardly ever agree with him, but he does represent a different view point.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Brian

Post by Brian »

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

At that, it was an illegal blood draw from a victim of a crash, not even the suspect the cops were after that caused the crash. :evil:
Black Lives Matter

Rip

Post by Rip »

Now there is something actually horrible.

The cop (and his LT) should not only be fired he(they) should be thrown in jail!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Instead he has his paid desk job, at least for the moment.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Cop: Nurse, where's our suspect? I need to draw his blood.
Nurse: Oh, he died. I'm sorry.
Cop: Where's the person the suspect ran into? I need to draw his blood.
Nurse: Um. No?
Cop: You there, in the red shirt.
Red Shirt: Yeah?
Cop: I need your blood.
Red Shirt: No?
Cop: Obstruction! Lay down!
Red Shirt: WTF?! NO!
Cop: STOP RESISTING!
Red Shirt: (confused struggling)
Cop: (Draws gun, shoots Red Shirt) Look what you made me do.
Nurse: ?!?
Cop: I need your blood too, Nurse.
Black Lives Matter

Xmann

Post by Xmann »

As a nursing supervisor in a hospital, I could be in that same position.

WTF

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Vampire Cop!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jaymann wrote:Vampire Cop!
More like moron cop. He has a bodycam turned on and he does this anyway? They should be be able to find someone to replace him with that's not quite as stupid?
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Lorini wrote:
More like moron cop. He has a bodycam turned on and he does this anyway? They should be be able to find someone to replace him with that's not quite as stupid?
So you want a cop sly enough to turn his bodycam off before doing this?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lorini wrote:
The cop doing this didn't have his bodycam on (I don't think he even had a bodycam, as a plain-clothes blood guy). Another officer did, presumably a uniformed officer.

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: I see a cop who saw a "white" name on the id
Interesting.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

GreenGoo wrote:
Interesting.
One would have thought the picture would have been more illuminating in that regard. :think:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Now making the rounds on everyone's facebook feeds. Hopefully the cop (and his lieutenant) will get what he deserves.
18-1™ & 2-0
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Paingod wrote:
I am too. It's good to have people around to remind us that there's more to the world and we can't just be a homogeneous hive-mind. I hardly ever agree with him, but he does represent a different view point.
Does he, though? There are very, very few points of view rip holds consistently.

He's really more of a contrarian who adds little but strife, at least in r&p. He's just lucky that drama brings more clicks than agreement. Even so, only a tiny percentage of forum goers even engage him any more, because we all have limits on how much time we're willing to spend chasing goal posts in perpetual motion.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

GreenGoo wrote:
Paingod wrote:
Does he, though? There are very, very few points of view rip holds consistently.

He's really more of a contrarian who adds little but strife, at least in r&p. He's just lucky that drama brings more clicks than agreement. Even so, only a tiny percentage of forum goers even engage him any more, because we all have limits on how much time we're willing to spend chasing goal posts in perpetual motion.
I would like to borrow the italicized portion of the above for myself, as a well-written and more PC way of saying, "he's a turd-muffin".
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
Interesting.
One would have thought the picture would have been more illuminating in that regard. :think:
The cop was literally looking at him for almost a minute before he got the id, albeit his helmet was still on. Shaded visor?

For the record I don't see any evidence that this was race based. He's certainly willing to abuse his power on a whim though. Is it too much to ask for him to identify himself and maybe hold up his badge?

I personally prefer the gun remain holstered until there is reason to unholster it, besides using it to intimidate I mean, but you can't have everything.
Rip

Post by Rip »

GreenGoo wrote:
Paingod wrote:

Clicks? What am I a youtube streamer?

I don't give a crap about who does or doesn't view my posts and have zero way of knowing if they did.

Furthermore, if my "points of view" are so inconsistent why does a majority of the forum know what they are going to be before I even express them?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Lorini wrote:
The cop doing this didn't have his bodycam on (I don't think he even had a bodycam, as a plain-clothes blood guy). Another officer did, presumably a uniformed officer.
I've seen two bodycam videos of it, one that's clear to me that it's from the perspective of the officer, and I *think* the other one is by his partner.

Edit: This video shows clips from both
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

It's easy to know what a troll will do.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Rip

Post by Rip »

tjg_marantz wrote:It's easy to know what a troll will do.
Why yes, yes it is..........
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

tjg_marantz wrote:It's easy to know what a troll will do.
tjg_marantz wrote:Again. Stop feeding the troll. It's a idiotic as he is being.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Lorini wrote:
I'm fairly sure he did, he's not necessarily exempt because he's plains clothes.
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Trent Steel wrote:
Now making the rounds on everyone's facebook feeds. Hopefully the cop (and his lieutenant) will get what he deserves.
Spoiler alert - nothing will happen. If fired, he will sue and be reinstated. It literally happens all the time. Police act this way because the system is designed to protect them from terrible conduct much less bad or just stupid ignorance of the law conduct.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I actually think the arresting officer will not be fired or reprimanded. I believe I read that his duty officer ordered him to arrest the nurse, so the duty officer may get reprimanded... and it also appears that both the detective and duty officer thought they had the law on their side. (They didn't since the law had changed, but both may then point to a training issue).
Either way it was a dumb move...
That being said, I understand the nurse being upset, but as soon as you are placed under arrest, there is no use arguing..do not resist, do not fight back. just go and if you are right, sue the city... I can understand why she was acting that way though.
If he's ever hurt, he should probably request a different hospital.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Isgrimnur wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
Interesting.
Don't be silly... all his pic would show is a person in a motorcycle helmet!
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

How Many Cops Need To Be Fired Based On These Facts?
Detective Payne should be ARRESTED. He is a criminal. We have video evidence of his crime. Payne doesn’t just need to be fired, he needs to go to JAIL.

But who is going to arrest him? Another cop?

See, if you want to solve this problem (and I’ll note, YOU DON’T, because secretly you’re willing to suffer the occasional murder and constitutional violation so long as you feel “safe”), you have to arrest ALL THE OTHER COPS in this story that aided and abetted Payne’s behavior.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow