Cops behaving badly

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

tjg_marantz

Re: Cops behaving badly

Post by tjg_marantz »

Grifman wrote:
Scuzz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:26 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:11 pm Who brings proof of citizenship with them anywhere in the US? You'd need passport or birth certificate, right? State IDs don't count.

That's awful, stopping a bus like that. Fuck.
So, if I was on a bus and these guys came on board and asked for this info what would happen if I refused them. As an old white guy I am sure they wouldn't care, but what right do they have to ask for ID from everyone on a bus?
They don't. It's illegal. You cannot be detained unless you are suspected of a crime, and you do not have to furnish id to a police officer, again, unless you are suspected of a crime. All you need to do is ask if you are suspected of a crime and if you are being detained.
And make sure you explicitly state that you are a sovereign citizen.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

$42 Million spent in NJ on police brutality cases.
New Jersey governments across the state, from the smallest towns to some of the largest cities, have spent more than $42 million this decade to cover-up deaths, physical abuses and sexual misconduct at the hands of bad cops.

The abuse of police power has left a staggering toll: at least 19 dead; 131 injured; 7 sexual misconducts, plus dozens of other offenses ranging from false arrest to harassment, a two-year investigation by the Asbury Park Press found.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Moliere wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:23 pm $42 Million spent in NJ on police brutality cases.
New Jersey governments across the state, from the smallest towns to some of the largest cities, have spent more than $42 million this decade to cover-up deaths, physical abuses and sexual misconduct at the hands of bad cops.

The abuse of police power has left a staggering toll: at least 19 dead; 131 injured; 7 sexual misconducts, plus dozens of other offenses ranging from false arrest to harassment, a two-year investigation by the Asbury Park Press found.
$42M in a decade for the entire state? That's like a year for LA or Chicago.

Not to minimize it, of course. That's still a lot of malfeasance.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Was listening to an NPR story about small towns that don't have the resources to investigate police shootings thoroughly and also due to their small budget have hired cops from other places who may have had some, umm, shooting issues. Since they're damaged goods they are willing to work for less. One town was paying their police hourly wages comparable to or less than the local Walmart.

What happens when suburban police departments don't have enough money
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:47 pm Was listening to an NPR story about small towns that don't have the resources to investigate police shootings thoroughly and also due to their small budget have hired cops from other places who may have had some, umm, shooting issues. Since they're damaged goods they are willing to work for less. One town was paying their police hourly wages comparable to or less than the local Walmart.

Maybe there should be state licensing boards for law enforcement officers. Like for doctors, nurses, locksmiths, beauticians, etc.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:52 pm
$iljanus wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:47 pm Was listening to an NPR story about small towns that don't have the resources to investigate police shootings thoroughly and also due to their small budget have hired cops from other places who may have had some, umm, shooting issues. Since they're damaged goods they are willing to work for less. One town was paying their police hourly wages comparable to or less than the local Walmart.

Maybe there should be state licensing boards for law enforcement officers. Like for doctors, nurses, locksmiths, beauticians, etc.
In many ways, I think the police unions need to step up and do some enforcement around excessive use of force and brutality.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:04 pm In many ways, I think the police unions need to step up and do some enforcement around excessive use of force and brutality.
:D
:lol:
:clap:
That's a good one! Police unions are the ones who cause most of the problems by, for example, making it nearly impossible to fire bad cops.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Police unions need to push departments to spend more on training.

They'll never support anything that makes it easier to terminate.

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I think they are making a mistake with that. They get less and less public support by stopping the localities from firing bad cops. And that means that the locality negotiators (at least in theory) can take a harder line against them because the negotiators know that the public is angry.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Washingtonians to Vote on Making It Easier to Convict Cops for Using Deadly Force
It's particularly difficult to prosecute and convict police officers in Washington State. Data collected by the National Police Misconduct Reporting Project (NPMRP) showed the state had the lowest prosecution rate for cops accused of misconduct of all 50 states. It also had the second lowest conviction rate in the country for such cops, as NPMRP founder David Packman pointed out in 2011 while discussing what made the nationwide problem of lack of accountability "significantly pronounced" in Washington.

Initiative 940 (I-940), led by the De-Escalate Washington campaign, would change the law surrounding justifiable use of deadly force, requiring police officers to meet a "good faith" standard in order to be protected from criminal liability. Currently, prosecutors must prove police officers acted with malice to overcome their immunity, which makes convictions exceedingly difficult.

I-940 would also require police officers to undergo violence de-escalation training and mental health training (to help in dealing with others' mental health issues, not their own). The classes would be formulated by the state Criminal Justice Training Commission in consultation with law enforcement agencies and "community stakeholders."

Finally, the measure would require officers to be trained on how to administer first aid to victims harmed in encounters with police, and would require policies establishing a "duty to preserve the life of persons whom the officer comes into direct contact with while carrying out official duties, including providing or facilitating immediate first aid to those in agency care or custody at the earliest opportunity."
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Uh, your cops don't know basic first aid? That's...different.

To even apply to be a cop in Ottawa you have to have a high school diploma and be certified in CPR and first aid.

That's just to be considered.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:31 pm Uh, your cops don't know basic first aid? That's...different.

To even apply to be a cop in Ottawa you have to have a high school diploma and be certified in CPR and first aid.

That's just to be considered.
Pretty sure they have to do basic CPR training here. It varies by state and municipality.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Video released of duty Chicago cop knocking out two patrons at a bar.
The two videos show Rialmo, wearing a long-sleeve t-shirt and backwards baseball cap, throwing a flurry of punches at two men, knocking them both to the ground.
They got off lucky.
COPA last month ruled that Rialmo’s shooting of Jones and LeGrier was unjustified, and has recommended CPD Supt. Eddie Johnson fire Rialmo.

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Unbelievable behavior, so awful. Yes the article is biased but the facts are there. It's time we take back our criminal justice system and it starts with getting rid of bad cops and making the police understand that they are responsible for enforcing the law for everyone in a fair and just manner.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lorini wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:35 am Unbelievable behavior, so awful. Yes the article is biased but the facts are there. It's time we take back our criminal justice system and it starts with getting rid of bad cops and making the police understand that they are responsible for enforcing the law for everyone in a fair and just manner.
Saw a similar article:
Last week, the beginning of an explosive corruption trial involving eight members of Baltimore's elite Gun Trace Task Force revealed that a handful of Baltimore cops allegedly kept fake guns in their patrol cars to plant on innocent people—a failsafe they could use if they happened to shoot an unarmed suspect, the Baltimore Sun reports.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Part of why I love the growing "Camera" movement - both civilians and police cams. It really cuts back on the ability of cops to screw innocent people.

When I was younger I always assumed most cops kept a 'throw-away' gun nearby just to save their ass in the event that they accidentally killed someone brandishing a Popsicle instead of a knife. Now that I'm older and more jaded, I thought I learned that they didn't bother with that sort of thing since they hardly ever get more than a slap for killing the wrong person. I suppose now I have to reconcile both together.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

COPA last month ruled that Rialmo’s shooting of Jones and LeGrier was unjustified, and has recommended CPD Supt. Eddie Johnson fire Rialmo.
I dont think if I unjustly shot someone Id only be fired.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Paingod wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:25 am
When I was younger I always assumed most cops kept a 'throw-away' gun nearby just to save their ass in the event that they accidentally killed someone brandishing a Popsicle instead of a knife. Now that I'm older and more jaded, I thought I learned that they didn't bother with that sort of thing since they hardly ever get more than a slap for killing the wrong person. I suppose now I have to reconcile both together.
No, they did and do carry them.
Yes, I carried throw-away weapons. I ended up with a shoebox full of throw-away weapons of just about every description. I still have most of them today, but aside from the occasional switchblade, my favorite was an old 32 caliber Smith and Wesson Model 1 ½ revolver. I kept it loaded, obviously, and even had fun with it at one of the gun ranges. It had a 3 ½ barrel, and was difficult to conceal during the summer months, but in the winter it fit perfectly within the folds of my leather motorcycle jacket. It was never used for its intended purposes, but it was there just in case.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Six Chicago police officers were being questioned by federal investigators for allegedly stealing money and drugs from drug dealers, sources have confirmed to CBS Chicago.

Police sources said the FBI performed at least three sting operations, each time catching officers stealing drugs and money on surveillance video.

On one occasion, the team stole at least $20,000 from one drug dealer.

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I thought that is how their pension plan works.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Great. Now they'll have to amp up the Asset Forfeiture on innocent people's "criminally defenseless" property to cover their losses.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Paingod wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:25 am Part of why I love the growing "Camera" movement - both civilians and police cams. It really cuts back on the ability of cops to screw innocent people.

Of course, it would be better if the retained footage on the police body cams wasn't hard coded to 30 seconds, but rather extended (all footage, or maybe 10/15 minutes, etc.)>

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Just shoot him.
Police had initially attempted to pull Dial over in April last year for driving on a suspended licence. He drove away, but the fact that he was driving a 40-odd-year-old pickup truck with a fully loaded trailer severely restricted his speed....

...DeKalb County deputies, who began the pursuit before White County deputies took over, told investigators it was “more like a funeral procession” than a highway chase, with speeds topping out around 50mph.

Deputies tried using a PIT (Pursuit Intervention Technique) maneuver to slow Dial’s car, a common police tactic involving a police car nudging another vehicle to turn it sideways.

But Shoupe radioed officers to tell them to stop attempting to do that, instead ordering them to shoot the driver.

When a deputy had successfully nudged Dial off the road, Reserve Deputy Adam West, who was in pursuit in his own personal vehicle, fired three shots as the vehicle went down into a ditch. Dial died of a gunshot wound to the head...

...“They said ‘we’re ramming him,’” Sheriff Oddie Shoupe of White County said on tape in the aftermath of the killing of suspect Michael Dial. “I said, ‘Don’t ram him, shoot him.’ Fuck that shit. Ain’t gonna tear up my cars.”

Shoupe arrived on the scene shortly after police had shot Dial at the conclusion of a low-speed chase, clearly upset he had missed the excitement.

“I love this shit,” Shoupe said, apparently unaware that his comments were being picked up by another deputy’s body-worn camera. “God, I tell you what, I thrive on it.

“If they don’t think I’ll give the damn order to kill that motherfucker they’re full of shit,” he added, laughing. “Take him out. I’m here on the damn wrong end of the county,” he said.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Leaves me speechless that someone would kill someone over saving their cars which they don't even own. Those are some sick policemen.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Reserve Deputy Adam West, who was in pursuit in his own personal vehicle, fired three shots as the vehicle went down into a ditch. Dial died of a gunshot wound to the head...
Adam West? Really?

But fuck that sheriff. That's an elected position, correct? Maybe he's doing what the voters want. Don't know much about White County Tennessee.

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Oklahoma woman gets shorter prison sentence because she got sterilized
A judge Thursday showed leniency to a drug-using mother of seven because she had surgery to prevent further pregnancies.

Summer Thyme Creel, 34, was sentenced to a year in federal prison and three years on supervised release for passing counterfeit checks.

She was ordered to pay $15,246 in restitution.

Creel voluntarily underwent the medical procedure in November after the Oklahoma City federal judge suggested it in a scheduling order.

"She will receive a shorter sentence because she made that decision," U.S. District Judge Stephen Friot said before announcing the punishment.

Friot on Thursday also defended his sterilization suggestion, saying the U.S. Supreme Court "has yet to recognize a constitutional right to bring crack- or methamphetamine-addicted babies into this world."

In his order last June, the judge called Creel a habitual user of crack cocaine and methamphetamine. He wrote in that order she had given up her parental rights to six of her seven children and likely had used illegal drugs while pregnant.
Not a cop, but the judge might be misbehaving a bit in offering this sterilization deal.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Because a lack of precedent means it's fair game. :roll:

Besides, Buck vs. Bell hasn't been overturned, either.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
The Meal

Who wants lemonade?

Post by The Meal »

Moliere wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:44 pm Oklahoma woman gets shorter prison sentence because she got sterilized
Summer Thyme Creel, 34, was sentenced to
Blame the parents.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:33 pm Not cops per se, but annoying that cities are partnering with private law firms to grind thousands of dollars from homeowners for minor city code infractions.
City Demands $6,000 from Woman over Illegal Chickens
Ramona Morales, a landlord in Indio, California, was cited $225 because one of her tenants was raising chickens in the backyard of a home, in violation of city ordinance.

Such citations are not terribly unusual. The surprise came later. A private firm the city had hired to handle code enforcement violations billed her for thousands of dollars for the cost of her own prosecution. She ended up paying nearly $6,000.

This scheme to cash in on relatively minor code enforcement issues was investigated and exposed by Desert Sun reporter Brett Kelman last November. This week the property-rights-protecting lawyers of the Institute for Justice waded into the fight. On Tuesday they filed a class action suit against Indio, the nearby city of Coachella, and the law firm Silver & Wright. Their aim: to stop this oppressively expensive code enforcement racket.
If I were rich the Institute for Justice would be high on my list for receiving donations. They always seem to be on the right side of these issues.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Cop installs security cameras in home to spy on ex-wife:
Wagner admitted to installing video cameras inside the Sugar Grove home he once shared with his ex-wife, according to a search warrant affidavit.

He installed the cameras, including one in the bedroom, while their divorce was pending and he was still living there, according to documents related to the lawsuit. He reactivated them after moving out and the divorce was finalized and continued to monitor his ex-wife in her home without her knowledge, according to court documents.

The cameras transmitted video and audio to the website of the manufacturer, Nest, and could be accessed remotely, according to court documents. Court records state Wagner looked at the video daily, accessing it from devices including his city-issued phone.
But they can't fire him.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

New article looking at David Clark's prisons, and the medical company running them allegedly falsifying patient records:
The company that handled medical services for a Milwaukee jail formerly run by conservative firebrand David Clarke is facing criminal charges in connection with the death of an inmate who died of “profound dehydration” after Clarke’s employees cut off his jail cell’s water supply for a week.

The Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office brought seven counts of intentional falsification of records against Armor Correctional Health Services Inc. in connection with Terrill Thomas’ 2016 death. The district attorney’s office said that the company “engaged in a pattern and practice of intentionally falsifying entries in inmate patient health care records.”

malchior

Post by malchior »

Buzzfeed uncovers lax discipline by the NYPD brass.
Secret files obtained by BuzzFeed News reveal that from 2011 to 2015 at least 319 New York Police Department employees who committed offenses serious enough to merit firing were allowed to keep their jobs.

Many of the officers lied, cheated, stole, or assaulted New York City residents. At least fifty employees lied on official reports, under oath, or during an internal affairs investigation. Thirty-eight were found guilty by a police tribunal of excessive force, getting into a fight, or firing their gun unnecessarily. Fifty-seven were guilty of driving under the influence. Seventy-one were guilty of ticket-fixing. One officer, Jarrett Dill, threatened to kill someone. Another, Roberson Tunis, sexually harassed and inappropriately touched a fellow officer. Some were guilty of lesser offenses, like mouthing off to a supervisor.

At least two dozen of these employees worked in schools. Andrew Bailey was found guilty of touching a female student on the thigh and kissing her on the cheek while she was sitting in his car. In a school parking lot, while he was supposed to be on duty, Lester Robinson kissed a woman, removed his shirt, and began to remove his pants. And Juan Garcia, while off duty, illegally sold prescription medication to an undercover officer.

In every instance, the police commissioner, who has final authority in disciplinary decisions, assigned these officers to “dismissal probation,” a penalty with few practical consequences. The officer continues to do their job at their usual salary. They may get less overtime and won’t be promoted during that period, which usually lasts a year. When the year is over, so is the probation.
malchior

Post by malchior »

One for the #MeToo movement maybe? All good according to the Tennessee Highway Patrol.
THP initially refused to make public dash cam footage of the two August traffic stops in Campbell County. Within days of the reporting of the lawsuit, THP Col. Tracy Trott issued a statement clearing Lloyd of any wrongdoing.

"After careful consideration and review, the Tennessee Highway Patrol Command Staff has advised me that Trooper Isaiah Lloyd conducted this traffic stop in a professional manner in an effort to protect the motoring public," Trott said in the statement.

Jared Effler, 8th Judicial District Attorney General,
Jared Effler, 8th Judicial District Attorney General, is shown in an undated photo. (Photo: submitted)

Trott never addressed the cause or propriety of Lloyd’s second stop of the woman.

But Effler, in a statement released Thursday, said his review of both stops “revealed that Trooper Lloyd’s actions were inconsistent with his training and Tennessee Department of Safety general orders.”

Effler wrote in the statement that he did not believe he could mount a criminal case of sexual battery against Lloyd but was dropping a seat belt ticket Lloyd issued Wilson. He is urging further review by THP commanders of Lloyd’s actions.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

malchior wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:32 am One for the #MeToo movement maybe? All good according to the Tennessee Highway Patrol.
Don't volunteer anything to the police!
Lloyd said via attorney James A. H. Bell that he searched her because she said she had taken Ambien, a prescription sleep medication. But the video shows Wilson never mentioned Ambien before the search.
Wilson again denied using drugs or alcohol and said the only medication she occasionally takes was a prescription sleep medicine. She could not recall the name. It was Lloyd who asked if the sleep medication was Ambien and Wilson then agreed that was the name of the medicine.
“I normally have to take it every other night,” she told Lloyd. “I don’t take any narcotics.”

Lloyd then said, “It is a narcotic.”

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration does not classify Ambien as a narcotic.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

A sheriff's deputy had his ex-wife arrested because he didn't like what she wrote about him on Facebook
The whole thing began in January 2015, when Anne King posted a short Facebook status expressing frustration that her ex, Corey King, refused to drop off some medication for their children on his way to work.

"That moment when everyone in your house has the flu and you ask your kid's dad to get them (not me) more Motrin and Tylenol and he refuses," she wrote, adding an "overwhelmed" face to the post.

Some of her friends chimed in, including Susan Hines, who referred to Corey King as a "POS," saying, "Give me an hour and check your mailbox. I'll be GLAD to pick up the slack."
According to a lawsuit filed on behalf of Anne King, her ex-husband told her to take the post down. When she initially refused, he posted a screenshot on his own Facebook account.

The ex-husband then filed an incident report and, according to his own admission, requested an arrest warrant because of her "derogatory statements."
The arrest warrant, as noted in the complaint, said: The "subject did, without a privilege to do so and with intent to defame another, communicate false matter which tends to expose one who is alive to hatred, contempt, or ridicule, and which tends to provoke a breach of peace."

The next day, a Washington County court magistrate issued warrants for both Anne King and Hines.

The women were charged with "criminal defamation of character," processed and spent about four hours in jail before posting $1,000 bail.
At their hearing, state-court judge stated there was no basis for the arrest and the case was dropped.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That one has been posted here somewhere already, fyi.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm not on Facebook but I assume he's been Streisand-effected.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The reason it's back in the news
Fast foward to the lawsuit Anne King has now filed. Initially, she also named Washington County as a defendant, but since the case has gone to federal court the county has immunity under the 11th Amendment.

Anne King's friend Hines told CNN affiliate WRDW she was initially a plaintiff in the suit, but dropped out of it to minimize friction in her small community.

As if the details of the case weren't dramatic enough, the suit against Corey King alleges he relied on an outdated Georgia law to go through with his ex-wife's arrest. According to a 1982 Georgia Supreme Court decision, charging someone with criminal defamation is actually unconstitutional.
The AJC also reports Corey King claimed he and another defendant in the suit were not ultimately responsible for Anne King's arrest, and that responsibility fell to Magistrate Judge Ralph Todd. Todd said in a deposition that "nobody ever notified" him the charge "didn't have any validity."

The case is before a federal judge who will decide whether it will go to trial. Hodges says he hopes the court will "hold those accountable who are going to use their positions of power over those who have no power."

Anne King is seeking compensatory and punitive damages, as well as compensation for all legal fees.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I figured it was something like that. I scoured the quote for new info but didn't find anything.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Saw this on the Popehat twitter feed:
Cop Hits Woman's Car At 94 MPH, Killing Her Infant. Police Arrest Woman For Negligent Homicide...

A Baton Rouge police officer was arrested Friday on a count of negligent homicide, accused of going 94 mph in a Corvette when he caused an off-duty crash on Airline Highway that killed an infant and injured six others.

The officer, Christopher Manuel, 28, was driving north in a 2007 Chevrolet Corvette shortly after 8 p.m. Oct. 12 on Airline Highway when it struck a Nissan at the intersection at Florline Boulevard that was occupied by four adults and three children.

All of the occupants of the Nissan were taken to the hospital. One of those passengers, a 1-year-old baby, Seyaira Stephens, later died...

...Just weeks after a Baton Rouge police officer was arrested on negligent homicide and accused of causing a crash that injured several people and killed a baby, the child's mother was also arrested on the same charge because police said she failed to properly secure the baby's car seat.