Cops behaving badly

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Paingod

Re: Cops behaving badly

Post by Paingod »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Just from watching the poor quality video, it looked like an accidental discharge judging by the way the other officer reacted.
If the video and reported events are accurate, then the police attempted to lie their way out by claiming he was armed and a threat after someone made a serious mistake.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Investigate a burglary by sneaking into the wrong house? What could go wrong besides shooting the resident and killing his dog.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Moliere wrote:Investigate a burglary by sneaking into the wrong house? What could go wrong besides shooting the resident and killing his dog.
Sounds like keystone cops.
McKinley, 36, was shot in the leg, and his dog, a female boxer, was killed. One of the officers — identified Tuesday afternoon as Travis Jones — was shot in the hip by a colleague, the GBI said.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
One of the officers — identified Tuesday afternoon as Travis Jones — was shot in the hip by a colleague, the GBI said.
article wrote:the fourth controversial police shooting in DeKalb County in less than two years — an incident in which, according to authorities, officers responding to a burglary call went to the wrong home, shot the unarmed homeowner, killed his dog and wounded one of their own.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Paingod wrote:
Alefroth wrote:Can't see both his hands, but it sure looks like his hands were in the air when he was shot.
You can't see both hands, but it seems safe to assume he wouldn't have one hand in the air while brandishing a gun or knife in the other.
Apparently he did have a knife in one hand after all.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Even if so - if his hands were held up in the air -- was he going to flick it with his wrist? Still the I'm afraid justification is relatively flexible.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Dickbag:
MILLIS, Mass. — An officer fabricated a claim that a gunman fired at his cruiser before it crashed into a tree and caught on fire, police officials said Thursday.

Millis police Sgt. William Dwyer said the only ballistics evidence recovered at the scene of the crash Wednesday afternoon was from shots fired by the 27-year-old officer into his own cruiser.

After several interviews with the part-time officer and examining the evidence, police determined that his story that a man in a pickup truck had fired at his cruiser was untrue, Dwyer said at a news conference.

"The evidence indicates that shots were not fired by a suspect and there is no gunman at large in or around the town," Dwyer said.

After the shooting was reported, people were asked to remain inside for several hours as police, including SWAT team officers, scoured the wooded neighborhood along the Charles River for the reported gunman. Schools were closed Thursday as a precaution.
I mean there's real shit going down, if anyone should know how harmful making a story like that up is, it should be a cop. Although he sounds like a probationary part-timer who will never again have the job.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Not to mention taxpayer cost. Cops aren't free.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

James Blake - tackled by 5 cops for standing while black:
Five white undercover cops slammed retired black tennis star James Blake to the ground outside his midtown hotel Wednesday in a violent case of mistaken identity....

...A police source said Blake was misidentified as a suspect wanted for buying a cellphone with a bogus credit card. A man who was standing near Blake was arrested in connection with the scam, police said.
Seems a bit heavy for credit card fraud.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Pyperkub wrote:Seems a bit heavy for credit card fraud.
Sounds like a backhanded critique of police procedures.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Moliere wrote:
Why no love for James Blake?
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

They're just there to protect and serve.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

James Blake wasn't "standing while black." The police were given a mistaken identification by an eyewitness. A person involved in the scam was nearby. The officers got the wrong guy at the start, but it's not like most criminals are going to immediately admit that they're guilty.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zarathud wrote:James Blake wasn't "standing while black." The police were given a mistaken identification by an eyewitness. A person involved in the scam was nearby. The officers got the wrong guy at the start, but it's not like most criminals are going to immediately admit that they're guilty.
The problem is that no one is in a position to admit or deny much of anything when 5 men suddenly gang tackle them.

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

That's what the headline says, but not the story. Only 1 officer tackled him. 5 were on the scene. They sorted it out after they took his id and figured out it was really another guy in the group.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Combustible Lemur wrote:
Moliere wrote:
Because he had the advantage.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zarathud wrote:That's what the headline says, but not the story. Only 1 officer tackled him. 5 were on the scene. They sorted it out after they took his id and figured out it was really another guy in the group.

That's weird. Either he was potentially a threat and needed to be taken down forcefully, in which case you don't send your guys in one at a time, or he wasn't, in which case you don't send anyone in at all.

Was it just on the job training for the one cop?

In any case, they didn't shoot him, so there's that.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zarathud wrote:That's what the headline says, but not the story. Only 1 officer tackled him. 5 were on the scene. They sorted it out after they took his id and figured out it was really another guy in the group.
Ok, one tackles him and 4 are standing by. You still have zero warning and no time to confirm or deny guilt. And while sure, "it's not like most criminals are going to immediately admit that they're guilty" the tackling officer didn't have a badge and apparently didn't identify himself until after he slammed Blake to the ground. I think the last thing going through Blake's mind is, "don't worry, this is just a cop and it's just a case of mistaken identity."

I have no problem with overwhelming force for the safety of officers. But they need to use it cautiously and not on vague tips.

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Standard corruption. I'm surprised and horrified less by this than I am at some of the less serious power abuses by seemingly otherwise honest cops.

The above is just a criminal who became a cop, or a cop that became a criminal. I understand that and society does too. Internal Affairs is a term that is understood by most people.

It's the "I'm locking you up for 3 days and then you accidentally die because you disrespected me" by a cop with 10 years service and numerous commendations that is a somewhat new and scary revelation for me.
stessier

Post by stessier »

GreenGoo wrote:

That's weird. Either he was potentially a threat and needed to be taken down forcefully, in which case you don't send your guys in one at a time, or he wasn't, in which case you don't send anyone in at all.

Here's the video of the takedown.

Wish there was sound as well.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Why does a suspect wanted for buying a cellphone with a bogus credit card need to be tackled to the ground?
malchior

Post by malchior »

That ultimately is my issue. Let's say he was the actual suspect...does credit card fraud represent such a great threat to the public that we need to put them in physical harm's way? The PBA predictably defends the action sayin that sometimes suspects flee. So basically all suspects must be tackled the e some may flee. That sounds like bad policy to me:

Raises the risk of injuries to suspect, police, and bystanders.

Increased risk of civil lawsuits.

Damage to public reputation of the police force.

Also to defend the officer this is pretty arbitrary too. The police act this way due to culture. Maybe busting individuals helps to reshape culture but cynically the lesson might end up with a lot of officers shrugging it off as bad luck.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Would love to have seen what the PBA would have said if Blake had won the fight.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Combustible Lemur

Zarathud wrote:James Blake wasn't "standing while black." The police were given a mistaken identification by an eyewitness. A person involved in the scam was nearby. The officers got the wrong guy at the start, but it's not like most criminals are going to immediately admit that they're guilty.
It won't let me quote it, but the police commissioner seems to think that the incident described was completely out of order, one officer is already off the street (presumably the tackler) and an investigation is under way. There is nothing in the article about a witness doing the misidentification.
And by sorted it out, you mean never apologized and didn't arrest him.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Moliere wrote:
Combustible Lemur wrote:
Moliere wrote:
But the cop held serve.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote:
Moliere wrote:
Combustible Lemur wrote:
Moliere wrote:
But the cop held serve.
You are not going to fault them for that, are you? Give em a break. I think they were likely just trying to set an example, it's not like they are obligated to love all.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Unagi wrote:
Jaymann wrote:
Moliere wrote:
Combustible Lemur wrote:
Moliere wrote:
But the cop held serve.
You are not going to fault them for that, are you? Give em a break. I think they were likely just trying to set an example, it's not like they are obligated to love all.
The crime was credit card fraud. I think they were just trying to make a statement.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:

Here's the video of the takedown.

Wish there was sound as well.
See, someone does that to me and I'm thinking I'm getting mugged. I'd get my ass kicked but I'd fight back.

Best part? That guy coming out the revolving door who is just like, "Fuck this, I'm going back inside." He's probably the guy selling stolen cell phones.

I see no reason they they couldn't approach him with 2 or 3 officers with the rest strategically placed, identify themselves, and do the arrest. It would also probably be safer than a 1 on 1 takedown.

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Eh. I'm not that troubled about the takedown video. James Blake gets pushed back, then pulled and spun to the ground. The officer could have done it differently, sure. I don't have any information about the manpower available or the tip given to the officer.

Aside from the wrongful id of a celebrity, the force used doesn't even appear excessive.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What's with the lady in the pink cap pointing at them as if to say, "give him one for me, officer!"
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

Zarathud wrote:Eh. I'm not that troubled about the takedown video. James Blake gets pushed back, then pulled and spun to the ground. The officer could have done it differently, sure. I don't have any information about the manpower available or the tip given to the officer.

Aside from the wrongful id of a celebrity, the force used doesn't even appear excessive.
:?
"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"
Quest: MacDaddy0 - PSN: Rupyrt - Live: MooseFoe
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Rip wrote:Apples and Oranges.
True but who wants to be an Oramge when you can be an Apple eh.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Call me when Lincoln sexually gets shot.
Combustible Lemur

Zarathud wrote:Call me when Lincoln sexually gets shot.
You mean like a money shot?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

;) i was a little too tired this morning to catch the typo. I would hesitate to do a google search....
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

Well, do please take another shot at the snark, because I have no inkling what you intended to say.
I don't exactly live on the mean streets, but I don't feel that cops should begin their investigations with battery, whether the perp looks like he can run fast or not.
Like I say, though, maybe the subways are that bad. "Abandon all dignity, ye who enter."
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

RuperT wrote:Well, do please take another shot at the snark, because I have no inkling what you intended to say.
I don't exactly live on the mean streets, but I don't feel that cops should begin their investigations with battery, whether the perp looks like he can run fast or not.
Like I say, though, maybe the subways are that bad. "Abandon all dignity, ye who enter."
It's not even the subway. He's standing at the entrance to the Grand Hyatt in Manhattan, waiting for a private car. I promise you if the tip was for "a rich-looking guy in a suit," they wouldn't just tackle the first guy vaguely fitting the description.

MYT
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

Like I say, though, maybe the subways cities are that bad. "Abandon all dignity, ye who enter."
:P
Thanks for the correction. I've actually avoided this story a bit. I don't want to resent cops.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Public Defenders
Between the bail episode and this one it makes me more motivated to avoid cops and trying not to break any laws.