Cops behaving badly

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Punisher

Re: Cops behaving badly

Post by Punisher »

well, without more info, that doesn't seem like a 'Cops behaving badly" story.. Similar to the Starbucks thing, if they were called there because the manger said they were trespassing, then they were doing their jobs... and since the video conveniently does not show the full interaction, there is no way to know if the same thing happened where the cops told her to leave and she didn't and was then placed under arrest.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Let's add this gentleman and the other officers that were present that witnessed his actions to the list.
MIAMI, Fla. — A Florida police officer has been relieved of duty after a video surfaced showing him kicking a handcuffed man in the head after the man was already on the ground.

The video, obtained by ABC News, was posted to Facebook on Thursday. It shows a city of Miami police officer handcuffing the man on the ground. Moments later, a second unidentified officer runs over and kicks the man in the head. The second officer then appears to jump on top of the man, while slamming his head to the ground.
I mention the other officers because they somehow failed to mention the kick in the reports they submitted.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Yeah saw that yesterday... Sickening pieces of shit.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Don't mention the 4th Amendment to a cop.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Video shows off-duty officer pulling gun on man mistakenly suspected of stealing Mentos

Now if they were buying mentos with Coca Cola I would understand, since the person is obviously up to no good.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Cops Called a Helicopter to Confront Three Black Women Leaving an Airbnb
When police in Rialto, California, received a report of three black women carrying luggage out of a suburban home, they responded with a show of force that included several cruisers and a helicopter.

The women were merely checking out of their Airbnb.

Video of the incident posted to social media accounts by one of the women shows a number of police cars surrounding a black SUV. In a Facebook post, Kells Fyffe-Marshall says seven cop cars surrounded the vehicle and shut down the street as she and her friends were trying to leave.

"The officers came out of their cars demanding us to put our hands in the air," Fyffe-Marshall writes. (She does not say whether any guns were drawn.) "They informed us that there was also a helicopter tracking us. They locked down the neighborhood and had us standing in the street."

Why the aggressive response? In the video, one of the police officers can be heard explaining that a neighbor reported "three black people stealing stuff. Like breaking into the house and stealing stuff."

After being told that they were only removing their own luggage from the house, the cop admits, "That's possible, but you never know."
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I hope this is just a case of "When your neighbors don't know you're running a bed and breakfast out of your house and notice strangers leaving your home with bags of stuff..."
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Paingod wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 8:13 am I hope this is just a case of "When your neighbors don't know you're running a bed and breakfast out of your house and notice strangers leaving your home with bags of stuff..."
It's probably more a combination of a police department with a lot of resources and low crime combined with "OMG, blacks!" from a nosy neighbor[hood].

Wonder if the HOA is about to crush the homeowner.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

These Three Towns Issue A Quarter Of Vermont's Traffic Fines

More evidence that speeding tickets are about raising revenue and not safety.
mori

Post by mori »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Moliere wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 5:02 pm
Don't mention the 4th Amendment to a cop.
Can I just point out how asinine it is to interpret 4th amendment defense as "targeting cops"?

Whoever is in charge of that PD twitter account should get an attitude adjustment, either through training or a new job.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It’s the NYPD Sergeants Association. They’re not associated with the department directly.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Moliere wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:47 am These Three Towns Issue A Quarter Of Vermont's Traffic Fines

More evidence that speeding tickets are about raising revenue and not safety.
Article wrote:Since then, a single police sergeant has issued over $2 million in traffic fines, mostly to speeding motorists. That money goes a long way in a town of 255.
:shock:
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 8:25 pm It’s the NYPD Sergeants Association. They’re not associated with the department directly.
Meh, that seems like a copout (no pun intended), and doesn't change the absurd interpretation of 4th amendment defense as a direct attack on police.

Thanks for the correction though, I absolutely thought it was an official PD account.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Protest the police. Get arrested.
A Hartford man felt the sign he was carrying downtown was an expression of his free speech, but the city’s police chief considered it offensive.

Michard Picard and Dawud Talib staged a protest on Thursday outside the Stamford courthouse, where their friend appeared before a judge for allegedly interfering with a distracted driving checkpoint in Springdale recently.

After a few minutes, Picard — carrying a sign reading “F*** Free Speech - Stamford PD” — and Talib took their protest to the nearby police station.

They were confronted by Police Chief Jon Fontneau, who warned Picard he would be arrested and charged with disorderly conduct if he failed to put his sign down.

When Picard refused, Fontneau had him arrested in front of the police station.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’m pretty sure that Supreme Court case has been decided, and not in the police’s favor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

One would think that common sense would dictate this, but Kansas actually needs a law...
WICHITA, Kan. - A new Kansas law makes it a crime for police to have sex with people they pull over for traffic violations or detain in criminal investigations.

The new law bans sexual relations "during the course of a traffic stop, a custodial interrogation, an interview in connection with an investigation, or while the law enforcement officer has such person detained."

Now, you may be asking, wasn't that illegal already?

Kansas was one of 33 states where consensual sex between police and people in their custody wasn't a crime.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Marks becoming a Kansas police officer off bucket list.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
mori

Post by mori »

Now I cannot use sex to get out of an arrest in Kansas. Well I still have 32 other states that will still work.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Need more information here:
Undercover detectives assigned to the case tracked Robinson down at a local gas station and tried to arrest him, according to Rivarde. But Robinson jumped back in his vehicle and led police on a chase after spotting them, Rivarde said.
The suspect rammed several police cars before crashing his vehicle, according to Rivarde.
Robinson took off on foot, jumping several fences before deputies caught him in a backyard of a nearby residential neighborhood, Rivarde said.
Rivarde says a struggle ensued with deputies who eventually handcuffed Robinson. Once handcuffed, detectives noticed Robinson was not breathing, Rivarde said. Detectives administered life saving techniques before Robinson was taken to a local hospital where he died, Rivarde said.
The agency is not equipped with body cameras or dash cameras, according to Rivarde.
"They were in a struggle," Lopinto said. "They used force." He added that the officers admitted to using force during the arrest.
But the sheriff said he's "not coming to the conclusion that this was a chokehold."
I guess, on the bright side, he didn't die in a hail of bullets? Should that count as restraint in today's environment?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:17 pm Need more information here:
Undercover detectives assigned to the case tracked Robinson down at a local gas station and tried to arrest him, according to Rivarde. But Robinson jumped back in his vehicle and led police on a chase after spotting them, Rivarde said.
The suspect rammed several police cars before crashing his vehicle, according to Rivarde.
Robinson took off on foot, jumping several fences before deputies caught him in a backyard of a nearby residential neighborhood, Rivarde said.
Rivarde says a struggle ensued with deputies who eventually handcuffed Robinson. Once handcuffed, detectives noticed Robinson was not breathing, Rivarde said. Detectives administered life saving techniques before Robinson was taken to a local hospital where he died, Rivarde said.
The agency is not equipped with body cameras or dash cameras, according to Rivarde.
"They were in a struggle," Lopinto said. "They used force." He added that the officers admitted to using force during the arrest.
But the sheriff said he's "not coming to the conclusion that this was a chokehold."
I guess, on the bright side, he didn't die in a hail of bullets? Should that count as restraint in today's environment?
He also could have sustained internal injuries while he was remming police vehicles or when he wrecked his vehicle. Definitely need more info.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

There are lots of ways where physical confrontation can lead to death that are not related to excessive force, so I would absolutely need more info as well. Of course I have little confidence that we will get anything except officer testimony, and since we have ample examples of officers lying, I don't feel great about the pending result.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

A cop walks away instead of harassing someone. Progress?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Again, this is the NYPD Sergeants Benevolent Association, which is the Sergeants' union. The same one that has the gall to complain about people being educated about the Fourth Amendment.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Think of all those hundreds of innocents exposed to the horrors of marijuana.

It's amazing that we didn't have a reefer madness moment break out.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:36 pm Think of all those hundreds of innocents exposed to the horrors of marijuana.

It's amazing that we didn't have a reefer madness moment break out.
Technically it's illegal. But sure, they can let it go. Like jaywalking. If you subscribe to the broke window theory however, it can be problematic.

Here it's extended to all kinds of things like investigatory stops, car jackings, and domestic disputes. It's called "staying fetal," a term inadvertently coined by our esteemed mayor. Often invoked to remind hard-chargers that many things are not worth dying or losing your job over, even if it's technically part of doing your job.

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My point is that it is illegal because it is illegal, not because of any individual or societal harm it causes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think cameras should be law and on at all times after a call comes in or they respond to the call. It not only helps protect citizens and their rights but also protect police who simply do their job when accidents happen. Body cameras are a good thing to me and Id gladly pay a small tax for them.

The again i also suppose tazing and arresting assholes who stand around during police engagements shout obscenities at the police, taunting them, and sticking camera phones in their face. I hate those loudmouthed unraised assholes.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Welcome to the first amendment.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:44 pm My point is that it is illegal because it is illegal, not because of any individual or societal harm it causes.
It's also a nuisance at the very least, at least as decide by NYC code. It's illegal for him to smoke a cigarette there (on public transportation property). Why is smoking pot less of a nuisance than smoking a cigarette?

But the sentiment in the tweet, and I'm pretty sure it's as commonplace there as it is here, is "fuck it, not worth the potential heat."

On a personal level, screw that guy sitting there. Honestly I'm sick of walking into stairwells and bathrooms and whatever other space, or even just the open sidewalk, and getting blasted by the smell of pot smoke. I can't wait for edibles to become legal here.

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

At least in Canada, smoking bans were based on secondary smoke health concerns. It is my understanding that pot contains far less carcinogens/chemicals in this regard.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Because marijuana is a Category 1 drug, no one in the US can actually conduct clinical trials to see exactly what it does. My doctor has advised me to avoid all smoke because I have emphysema.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

On the plus side not everywhere is the US.

I'm sorry about the emphysema
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

As I continue the derail :) Are they doing clinical trials on marijuana somewhere? That would be good. One day I may need the pill version.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Generalist article pulling from many sources both inside and outside the US.

businessinsider

This really isn't my area of expertise or even interest, really, but marijuana has been around for a long time. Long enough for some medical facts to be available.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Dixon-Cole said that while she was pulled over under the suspicion of a DUI/DWI, Hubbard conducted a field sobriety test and started making suggestive comments that she could go home in exchange for sexual favors.

According to Dixon-Cole's statement to Merritt, when she declined Hubbard's advances, she was taken to his cruiser and forcefully groped, fondled and vaginally penetrated during a prolonged arrest that included assaults outside and inside of the police vehicle.

But.. .
The Texas Department of Public Safety has released dash camera video of a traffic stop that has gained national attention, debunking a woman's claims that a trooper sexually assaulted her.

DPS says Trooper Daniel Hubbard saw a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu driving south on Interstate 35 in Ellis County near U.S. 287 and the car was stopped for a traffic violation. Based on the traffic stop, the driver was arrested for driving while intoxicated. She was taken to the Ellis County jail and charged with DWI.
None of the allegations can be seen in the two hour dash camera footage released Tuesday night.

Ideally the penalty for lying like that would be equal to or greater that the penalty for the original offense.

MYT
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Dixon-Cole said that while she was pulled over under the suspicion of a DUI/DWI, Hubbard conducted a field sobriety test and started making suggestive comments that she could go home in exchange for sexual favors.

According to Dixon-Cole's statement to Merritt, when she declined Hubbard's advances, she was taken to his cruiser and forcefully groped, fondled and vaginally penetrated during a prolonged arrest that included assaults outside and inside of the police vehicle.

But.. .
The Texas Department of Public Safety has released dash camera video of a traffic stop that has gained national attention, debunking a woman's claims that a trooper sexually assaulted her.

DPS says Trooper Daniel Hubbard saw a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu driving south on Interstate 35 in Ellis County near U.S. 287 and the car was stopped for a traffic violation. Based on the traffic stop, the driver was arrested for driving while intoxicated. She was taken to the Ellis County jail and charged with DWI.
None of the allegations can be seen in the two hour dash camera footage released Tuesday night.

Ideally the penalty for lying like that would be equal to or greater that the penalty for the original offense.
So a press statement saying she acted appropriately and in accordance with her training?
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

tjg_marantz wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:51 am
LawBeefaroni wrote:

So a press statement saying she acted appropriately and in accordance with her training?
That's how they punish DUIs where you're from?

I'm saying that if you get picked up for a DUI and lie about assault to get out of the DUI, you should risk doubling the original penalty. Otherwise there isn't much risk to lie to try to get out of one of the heftier offenses.

Admittedly it's probably impossible to implement such a penalty.

As for the implication that cops found guilty of sexual assault and rape are usually found to be acting in accordance with their training, when has that happened? Chile in 1975 isn't exactly relevant here.

MYT
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

You haven't seen a lot of police officers get off easy after sexual assaults etc?

I was being facetious to point out how police officers get off easy.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:31 am cops found guilty of sexual assault and rape
I think this is the crux of the matter.