Cops behaving badly

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Cops behaving badly

Post by Pyperkub »

I'm still ticked off after reading this article earlier in the week:
Tanya Weyker was hurt so badly, she couldn’t blow into a breath-testing device or perform field sobriety tests. But a Sheriff’s deputy arrested her for drunk driving anyway. And the County hung those charges over her head for nearly a year, even long after blood tests proved she was perfectly sober...

...“If Deputy Quiles hadn’t essentially blamed the accident on her,” Mishlove argues,” they never would’ve drawn her blood. They never would’ve arrested her.”

In his official report, Deputy Quiles wrote that he stopped at the stop sign and looked both ways before pulling out. He told a Milwaukee police officer that he never saw any headlights, even though Weyker’s Camry had lights that come on automatically.

“I knew I was innocent this whole time,” Weyker declared.

The truth might never have surfaced were it not for video from a nearby airport surveillance camera. It shows what investigators say is Deputy Quiles’ squad car traveling west on Hutsteiner Avenue, then continuing onto Howell without making a complete stop, as Quiles claimed in his report. The Sheriff’s Office knew about the video just two days after the crash. But no one told Weyker.

Instead, the County sent letters blaming her for the crash and threatening legal action if she didn’t pay for the damage...

...It wasn’t until ten months after the crash that internal investigators at the Sheriff’s Office interviewed Deputy Quiles. In an audio recording provided to FOX 6 News by Weyker’s attorney, an investigator asks Quiles what happened.

“I’ve been told I rolled the stop sign at Howell and Hutsteiner,” Quiles said.

Quiles said he hadn’t seen the video himself, but was told that a video existed. He then acknowledged that his earlier statement was wrong.

Internal Investigator “You believe that you probably did roll?”

Voice of Deputy Quiles “Yes. Yes, I do.”
Internal Investigator “And because of that, you believe you were at fault for this accident.”
Voice of Deputy Quiles “That’s correct.”
Cop runs stop sign, t-bones lady, falsely claims he stopped and arrests her for DUI.

Department finds out, suspends officer, never tells lady she's been proven innocent.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Re: Cops behaving badly

Post by malchior »

These type of cases drive me crazy. There is evidence he committed crimes. Crimes he was well aware he was willfully violating. He filed a false report. His actions led to an illegal arrest and harassment of a badly injured woman. Where are the charges?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

This isn't really religious or political but it does piss me off and I'll have to talk to my friend who works in internal affairs for the county police about his take on it. In any case I'm moving this to EbG and y'all will be able to follow it there.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Obama sucks.

:dance:
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Too late MSD! That wormhole between forums is now closed so now you can take your Benghazi out of my police misbehavior. :P
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Rip

Post by Rip »

This isn't exactly what the thread has been about but what the hey.
A Camden County Police Lieutenant has been removed from duty after he was accused of masturbating inside of a Starbucks in Cherry Hill.
Lt. Benito Gonzalez Junior has been charged with a disorderly persons lewdness offense.
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/0 ... starbucks/

No one can out love Philly!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Man dead after selling untaxed cigarettes.
Confronted by police trying to arrest him for allegedly selling illegal cigarettes, Eric Garner raised both hands in the air and, with passive defiance, told the officers not to touch him. Seconds later, the officer behind him grabbed the 350-pound man in a chokehold and pulled him to the sidewalk, rolling him onto his stomach.

"I can't breathe! I can't breathe!" Garner said repeatedly, his cries muffled into the pavement
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

It's noble of him to take a stand, suicidal but noble.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

This happened locally a little bit ago and just got me mad too:
A California family called 911 for medical help for their mentally ill relative. Instead of a paramedic responding, police arrived and fatally shot the 18-year-old woman after they say she lunged at them with a knife.

The family of Yanira Serrano-Garcia said they called 911 around 9 p.m. Wednesday because she was acting erratically and refusing to take her medication, and they were hoping paramedics would show up and help. Her aunt told KTVU the 18-year-old suffered from depression. The family had previously received just such medical assistance...
Per this video, the Deputy shot her within 20 seconds of arriving on the scene. Per this article, some of the neighbors claimed she was shot in the back:
Rosenblatt would not say where the teen was struck by the bullet, but was adamant she was not shot in the back as neighbors had suggested to media
Curious as to why they wouldn't say where she was shot...

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They didn't just call for medical assistance - they called 911 and said that she had a knife and wouldn't put it down. They don't send ambulances to people with weapons - even if they did, the paramedics would likely sit in the ambulance and wait for police before even going in. And they'd likely do it from down the street and around the corner.

When the cop arrived, a person with a knife came at him. You move on a cop carrying a knife, and something bad is going to happen to you. Whether he could have pulled out less-than-lethal is something to be addressed, but it isn't as cut and dry as it sounds.

As to not saying where she was shot, I'm guessing that the investigation is ongoing. They don't normally comment on much of anything during an investigation. It isn't a conspiracy, it is SOP for every law enforcement agency in the nation.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Just for Blackhawk's and everyone else's edification: Pulling your gun and shooting anyone is supposed to be the Last Resort action of law enforcement officers. It has somehow become the second resort, the first being unrelenting tazing of submissive and incapacitated bystanders and suspects.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2011/07/01/co ... stigation/

Cops kill 4 including the informant and its all on tape. Saw this on a tv show the other night. All but one tried to surrender...the informant even gave the code and had his hands up yet they shot him. They say they have to go on the officer's word when he says he thought he was going for a gun in his waistband.

All I see stuff like this leading to is no one coming forward to do whats right and also people simply killing cops.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

Man arrested after recording officer in street.

Sadly, this is nothing we haven't heard before or even an especially egregious instance. But the guy's ongoing protest made me laugh.
Thompson has hung a sign on the side of his residence that states “Bad cop, no donut,” with Barboza’s badge number.
:lol:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rip

Post by Rip »

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Immigration Stop leads to causeless and warrantless search after woman is tased for refusing to move where a cop is arbitrarily pointing. Search turns up absolutely nothing.

I hope she gets a hefty payday.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The sources said Shawn Johnson was suspended for the physical altercation with Shelton, and that two other officers were suspended merely for reporting the events of the night to other law enforcement agencies.
That town is run by idiots. The police chief shows up at work in uniform, driving a city vehicle, visibly drunk enough that officers activate their body cameras. I mean I can understand not airing department dirty laundry but when it's the chief drunk on the job, who other than other law enforcement agencies can you report it to?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Texas Rangers are on it.

:horse:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rip

Post by Rip »

seen by neighbors the night of May 14 along Memory Lane
Ahhh Memory Lane, one of my favorite places.....

The thing I don't understand is why are the two officers that reported it to other law enforcement agencies suspended. Sounds to me like they deserve commendations.

Also is it just me but do the City Manager and Police Chief both look like Stone Cold Steve Austin wannabees?
Last edited by Rip on Fri May 22, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Petty small town politics is petty. In sure the lawyers are lining up to represent them.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Orange County DA's office and Sheriff's Dept in deep do-do:
Prosecutorial and police misconduct are often dismissed as just a few bad apples doing a few bad apple-ish things. But what happens when it’s entrenched and systemic and goes unchecked for years? That looks to be the case in Orange County, California, where the situation got so completely out of hand this spring that Superior Court Judge Thomas Goethals issued an order disqualifying the entire Orange County District Attorney’s Office (that’s all 250 prosecutors) from continuing to prosecute a major death penalty case...

...“Here you have longstanding collusion between the sheriff’s department and the DA’s office, and then the willingness to lie about the practice, even to the extent of committing perjury, under oath, in court to cover up those practices.”

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

More info out of Whitehouse, TX.
CBS 19 uncovered new details in the Whitehouse Police scandal after analyzing newly available video and key employees' history with the city.
"That was a cluster f***," then-City Manager Kevin Huckabee said to a group of officers inside the police station just after midnight on the night in question. "All of a sudden they started jumping on us and [the officer's wife is] making some kind of accusation. I don't know if she's claiming that we all attacked her."

Huckabee's remarks were captured on an officer's body camera. This week the city also released surveillance and dashboard video, giving an idea of what was going on outside city offices.

The dash cam video--from one of Whitehouse's own responding officers--seemed to indicate that he didn't believe there was an emergency at the home where all of this allegedly happened. He drove over without lights and sirens and seemed confused about why he was there after arriving.

Outside the police station, a white truck could be seen repeatedly driving in and out of the parking lot for no apparent reason at about the same time. And at one point, a police Tahoe and and another black truck roll up right behind it.
From the beginning, Huckabee was talking about suspensions as evidenced by the body camera video. Since then, he and Police Chief Craig Shelton have been suspended themselves.

Shelton's personnel file contains a vague letter about his suspension. Huckabee's file has a letter passing control of the city over to someone else.

Then there are the performance reviews. Shelton's most recent was signed by Huckabee. Our sources called the pair "drinking buddies." The review rates Shelton all "5" on a scale of "1" to "5." and it includes a raise.
All five suspensions are paid suspensions. The city manager continues to draw his $82,000 dollar salary. The police chief is drawing about $70,000 annually.

The City of Whitehouse recently released a statement acknowledging its citizens' right to know what happened. That statement went on to say that the city continues to have no comment.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote:
The police chief is drawing about $70,000 annually.
A 2nd year CPD officer gets about that much I think, before OT. Wow.

Not that Shelton deserves anything more.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rip

Post by Rip »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 46-XTqXkzE

Just wow, so many things wrong.

Dicks.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He's been placed on admin leave while they investigate.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm confused. So far the only thing I can figure the kids did wrong was scatter when the cops showed up. No crimes mentioned, and he's just running around threatening to drag people off to jail, not actually accusing them of anything. Was something criminal going on?
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Story is here:
In a post on the McKinney Police Department's Facebook page, it says the incident occurred on Friday at about 7:15 p.m. at the Craig Ranch Community Pool and that officers were responding to "a disturbance involving multiple juveniles at the location, who do not live in the area or have permission to be there, refusing to leave."

Brandon Brooks, who posted the video, wrote in the description to it: "A fight between a mom and a girl broke out and when the cops showed up everyone ran, including the people who didn't do anything. So the cops just started putting everyone on the ground and in handcuffs for no reason. This kind of force is uncalled for especially on children and innocent bystanders."
I don't know the McKinney area or the Craig Ranch Community Pool but I'm guessing there's history here.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Watching the video I think the cop exacerbated the situation by cursing but I think he was justified in drawing his weapon- the two guys seemed to come out of nowhere. One thing that was apparent was that few of the kids felt compelled to obey the orders of the police which definitely added to the cops frustration factor.

I hope that we don't start seeing people goading police to act badly and then start filming when they react- but I think that ship has sailed.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

During a raid on a medical marijuana store: Destroying Cameras, Eating Edibles and Playing Darts
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They're like Goldilocks.
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Jaywalking while black gets you pepper sprayed and tased.
When the cops asked to search him he declined and tried to walk away. That's just asking for a beat down. Because he turned up carrying weed they now can charge him with felony second-degree assault, misdemeanor resisting arrest, violation-level disorderly conduct, and marijuana possession.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

It's nice to see some accountability, even if it is 20 years late. Mr Fed would be happy:
In a ruling released Thursday, the State Bar of Texas found that Charles Sebesta committed "professional misconduct" as Burleson County district attorney when he prosecuted Graves in 1994 for a family's murder. Graves' co-defendant, Robert Carter, who was executed in 2000, admitted he was the lone killer.

The bar complaint against Sebesta was filed by Graves, who was freed in 2010 after serving 18 years in prison, 16 of them on death row. Graves said his complaint was "nothing personal," but an attempt to correct the criminal justice system.
Yes, even in Texas. Some good news for once (and no riots, AFAIK).

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Cops kill an unarmed white woman in Georgia.
What happened in Small’s case demonstrates the broad powers police in Georgia have to shoot and kill unarmed citizens and to influence the outcome of their cases in the legal process. An Atlanta Journal-Constitution/Channel 2 Action News investigation of the case found that:

• Glynn County police officers interfered with the GBI’s investigation from the start, seeking to protect the officers.

• The department tampered with the crime scene and created misleading evidence that was shown to the grand jury.

• The local district attorney shared the state’s evidence with the officers nearly two months before the grand jury convened and cut an unusual deal with them just before it met.

Amidst a national debate over police body cameras, Small’s case also highlights how limited video can be when matched against the wide latitude afforded police and the public’s predisposition to believe officers when they say their lives are in danger, no matter the circumstances.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cops around here just drag race each other.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

And now it's happened (publicly) in my state. A cop is innocent according to prosecution. A kid murdered by a cop because the cop had bright lights, knew it, was a dick about it, abused his authority, and then escalated the situation to violence where he ultimately shot the kid 7 times.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/stor ... /28801761/
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Kraken wrote:Horrible Concept
Did a little Google and it seems that stat of 52 is a popular number for UK police. I find it hard to believe, and sadly I find the US stat easy to believe.
Black Lives Matter

Rip

Post by Rip »

Apples and Oranges.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Rip wrote:Apples and Oranges.
More like Apples and Limes.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote:Apples and Oranges.
That is correct. Looking at these numbers I just made up, the population of the United States is around 1.5 quadrillion people. While the population of Britain is approximately 37.
Covfefe!