Cops behaving badly

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Re: Cops behaving badly

Post by Pyperkub »

Not a good week:

Trooper fires at kids who knocked on the wrong door:
An off-duty New Jersey state trooper fired shots at a car with three young men inside as they were trying to drive away from his house after knocking on his door by mistake at night while looking for the house of a friend who lives next door, officials said.
911 dispatcher (fire, not police, but still) hangs up on shooting victim:
Sanchez asks several times whether the victim is breathing, and the caller says, "He's barely breathing. How many times do I have to f---ing tell you?"

Sanchez is heard responding, "OK, you know what, ma'am? You can deal with yourself, I'm not going to deal with this, OK?" The caller pleads, "No, my friend is dying! I …" and the line disconnects.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

On the good side however:
Derrick Malone’s tire was flat, but that wasn’t the worst news for the former Oregon linebacker. As he pulled over after exiting Interstate 5, a police car pulled up behind him.

After some of the recent headlines involving police officers and African-Americans -- plus a few of Malone’s own life experiences -- he says he was “terrified” when the car pulled up behind him.

But this story has an uplifting ending, one that Malone felt compelled to tweet about today.

“They basically taught me how to change a tire,” Malone said. “I was really grateful that they took the time to be more than helpful.”

And by doing so, Forest Grove officers, Joe Martino and Ernesto Villaraldo, who had no idea he played for the Ducks, won over Malone, so much so that he Tweeted about it.
It is refreshing to hear that some cops respect the motto "To protect and to serve"
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Pyperkub wrote:Not a good week:

An off-duty New Jersey state trooper fired shots at a car with three young men inside as they were trying to drive away from his house after knocking on his door by mistake at night while looking for the house of a friend who lives next door, officials said.
It's always awesome when local news makes national news. What many people are probably failing to appreciate in this story is that the town where this took place is filled with $500,000+ homes. I'm not saying a NJ state trooper shouldn't be able to afford a nice home, but it also doesn't surprise me that he came out (allegedly) with his personal laser-sighted gun and started shooting. If I did this? You'd be reading about how a SWAT team was dispatched to my home and I was carried off to solitary.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rip

Post by Rip »

Smoove_B wrote:

It's always awesome when local news makes national news. What many people are probably failing to appreciate in this story is that the town where this took place is filled with $500,000+ homes. I'm not saying a NJ state trooper shouldn't be able to afford a nice home, but it also doesn't surprise me that he came out (allegedly) with his personal laser-sighted gun and started shooting. If I did this? You'd be reading about how a SWAT team was dispatched to my home and I was carried off to solitary.
If you are lucky and don't smart off earning a rough ride.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

University of Cincinnati officer kills unarmed man while pulling him over for a missing front license plate.
The Hamilton County prosecuting attorney, Joseph T. Deters, released a graphic and much anticipated video of the shooting of Samuel Dubose taken by the officer’s body camera that he described as crucial evidence that Mr. Dubose did not act aggressively or pose a threat to Officer Ray Tensing, and that Officer Tensing had lied about being dragged by Mr. Dubose’s car. A grand jury, Mr. Deters announced, indicted the officer on a murder charge, punishable by life in prison, and a voluntary manslaughter charge.

“It was a senseless, asinine shooting,” Mr. Deters said at a news conference, using stark terms to denounce the July 19 killing, the officer’s claims and the officer himself. “This doesn’t happen in the United States, OK?” he said. “This might happen in Afghanistan. People don’t get shot for a traffic stop.”
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote:

The officer should be fired. He's lucky he wasn't added to the list of police causing unnecessary deaths.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Black Man Bids Tearful Goodbye To Family Before Daily Commute
MILWAUKEE—Frequently choking back tears, African-American computer technician Michael Shaw bid an emotional goodbye to his wife and 6-year-old son before making his morning commute Thursday, sources confirmed. “I don’t know when or if I’ll see you guys next, so I just want you to know how much I love you,” Shaw said, his voice breaking as he prepared to embark on the 25-minute trip, including a stop at a Dunkin’ Donuts drive-thru, from which he might not return. “Kevin, you take care of Mommy. Whatever might happen before I get to the office, you have to be strong, okay?” According to sources, Shaw then grabbed his briefcase and his car keys and took one last look over his shoulder before opening the front door and walking down the lawn to the driveway.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Moliere wrote:Black Man Bids Tearful Goodbye To Family Before Daily Commute
MILWAUKEE—Frequently choking back tears, African-American computer technician Michael Shaw bid an emotional goodbye to his wife and 6-year-old son before making his morning commute Thursday, sources confirmed. “I don’t know when or if I’ll see you guys next, so I just want you to know how much I love you,” Shaw said, his voice breaking as he prepared to embark on the 25-minute trip, including a stop at a Dunkin’ Donuts drive-thru, from which he might not return. “Kevin, you take care of Mommy. Whatever might happen before I get to the office, you have to be strong, okay?” According to sources, Shaw then grabbed his briefcase and his car keys and took one last look over his shoulder before opening the front door and walking down the lawn to the driveway.
The irony is he's more likely to be killed by another black man than a cop.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And by a pistol rather than an "assault" rifle.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Grifman wrote:
One would hope that murder by civilian is more likely than murder by cop. That doesn't strike me as ironic. But they do it too is a terrible excuse.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Combustible Lemur wrote:
Grifman wrote:
One would hope that murder by civilian is more likely than murder by cop. That doesn't strike me as ironic. But they do it too is a terrible excuse.
It's only ironic if it's in an Alanis Morissette song. OTOH, it is rich in satire, as I would expect in an article from the Onion. :)
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Meanwhile, here in Canuckistan the national media is abuzz with this bit of police malfeasance...

Kelowna RCMP investigate after online video shows questionable traffic stop
RCMP in Kelowna, B.C., are investigating after a video surfaced online showing an officer pulling over a driver because of hand gestures made by her passenger. In a Facebook video posted by a person who goes by the name Shawn Michaelz on July 27 and viewed more than 120,000 times, the man who says he was the passenger describes the interaction with the officer. When reached by CBC on Friday, Michaelz declined an interview, but said he wants to push across an important message. "What happened here is very minor. He made a mistake. I just wanted people to be aware and be able to stand up for what they know is right."
Abuzz, I tell ya... :)

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What, did the officer only say 'sorry' three times? :P
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Combustible Lemur wrote:
Grifman wrote:
I feel dirty wading into this pool, but if the outrage meters were anywhere close we would be saving a lot of lives.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Combustible Lemur

noxiousdog wrote:
Combustible Lemur wrote:
Grifman wrote:
I feel dirty wading into this pool, but if the outrage meters were anywhere close we would be saving a lot of lives.
I can't disagree.
But didn't you hear, insituational and systematic racism don't exist.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Combustible Lemur wrote:
Good luck finding that in a quote except as a strawman.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Combustible Lemur

noxiousdog wrote:
Combustible Lemur wrote:
Good luck finding that in a quote except as a strawman.
Not on this board. But In the broader picture that is the mentality. Even recently here posters have asked why don't people March in south Chicago. And as was noted, they do it just doesn't get reported as broadly. It's why it's so hard for the mass incarceration argument to gain traction in the drug war. People care more about soft on crime than systemic racial disparities in the justice system. It's why fox news pundits can outright say the things that they do and are still the most popular news station.

Of course there is also much more nuanced conversation to be had that gets very uncomfortable very quickly when behaviors on all sides have to be said out loud but by their nature make everyone defensive. Not to mention the roles of poverty, economic policy and cultural identities.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WSJ Claims Institutionalized Racism 'No Longer Exists'
The world was not waiting for The Wall Street Journal to weigh in on the Charleston, South Carolina, massacre. Yet in a steaming hot pile of take posted online Thursday evening, the newspaper's editorial board took a hard look at the killing of nine people at a historically black church and concluded that "what causes young men such as Dylann Roof to erupt in homicidal rage, whatever their motivation, is a problem that defies explanation."
Still, the editorial began by lamenting that race had even entered the discussion. For people who see such a motive, the board wrote, "It does not matter that the alleged killer, Dylann Roof, brings to mind the mentally troubled young men who committed horrific mass murders of innocents inside buildings in Newtown, Conn.; Aurora, Colo.; or Virginia Tech."

And why, the paper wondered, are people so focused on this one crime, "when individuals are murdered every day in less noted acts of hatred or rage that leave survivors bereft beyond understanding"?
Today the system and philosophy of institutionalized racism identified by Dr. King no longer exists.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Not on this board.
Not by anyone of importance. You might some people downplaying as being less a problem than it is being made out to be, but that's all subjective.
But In the broader picture that is the mentality. Even recently here posters have asked why don't people March in south Chicago. And as was noted, they do it just doesn't get reported as broadly. It's why it's so hard for the mass incarceration argument to gain traction in the drug war. People care more about soft on crime than systemic racial disparities in the justice system. It's why fox news pundits can outright say the things that they do and are still the most popular news station.
There was a a recent This American Life (link below Part 1 Act 1) about problems in Milwaukee. The police chief explained that the reason there were so many police cars in the black areas of town was because that's where the calls come from. It is a vicious, nasty cycle with all kinds of causes. My own personal opinion is that modern systemic racism is way down on the list.

There was another recent episode that included the story of Richmond, California and their cash for felons program. While the whole thing is really good, there's a very brief observation that I think cannot be overstated. At some point, almost everyone decides to grow up and be responsible. However, when you start out so far behind, it makes it exceedingly difficult.
Of course there is also much more nuanced conversation to be had that gets very uncomfortable very quickly when behaviors on all sides have to be said out loud but by their nature make everyone defensive. Not to mention the roles of poverty, economic policy and cultural identities.
That's a lot different than "insituational and systematic racism don't exist" sarcasm ;)

I very much recommend This American Life: Cops See it Differently Part one and Part two.
Black Lives Matter

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Today the system and philosophy of institutionalized racism identified by Dr. King no longer exists.

context:
Back then and before, the institutions of government—police, courts, organized segregation—often worked to protect perpetrators of racially motivated violence, rather than their victims.

The universal condemnation of the murders at the Emanuel AME Church and Dylann Roof’s quick capture by the combined efforts of local, state and federal police is a world away from what President Obama recalled as “a dark part of our history.” Today the system and philosophy of institutionalized racism identified by Dr. King no longer exists.
Black Lives Matter

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Gay Staten Island man says cops beat him outside of home, shouting homophobic slurs
After the argument, and an hour after his brother left, says Falcone, he was trying to fall back to sleep when four cops showed up at the front door.

The cops told him they were there for a noise complaint, and he described what happened with his brother.

“As I’m talking to them through the screen door, they’re saying to come outside,” Falcone recalled. “I said, ‘For what?”

Then, his dog Looch, part pitbull, began barking.

“The cops said, ‘Get your dog out of here or I’ll f------ kill it!’” Falcone says. “I was like, ‘What do you mean you’re going to kill my dog?’”

He said he was shooing Looch away when an officer yanked Falcone outside.

“They threw me against the concrete in front of my house,” he said. “My first reaction was to try to get up a little bit.”

On the video, one of the officers is seen entering the home. Then, the others try to restrain Falcone on the ground.
By "restrain" they mean 4 cops beating the crap out of a guy who weighs 150 pounds.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Moliere wrote:By "restrain" they mean 4 cops beating the crap out of a guy who weighs 150 pounds.
You can't beat the shit out of someone and then not charge them with something. That's the real crime here. This dude needs to be behind bars, not loose on the streets to continue living peacefully.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Santa Ana police officers sue to quash video of pot shop raid
The lawsuit argues that the video doesn’t paint a fair version of events. The suit also claims the video shouldn’t be used as evidence because, among other things, the police didn’t know they were on camera.

“All police personnel present had a reasonable expectation that their conversations were no longer being recorded and the undercover officers, feeling that they were safe to do so, removed their masks,” says the suit.

The dispensary also did not obtain consent of any officer to record them, the suit says.
:lol:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote:On the good side however:
Derrick Malone’s tire was flat, but that wasn’t the worst news for the former Oregon linebacker. As he pulled over after exiting Interstate 5, a police car pulled up behind him.

After some of the recent headlines involving police officers and African-Americans -- plus a few of Malone’s own life experiences -- he says he was “terrified” when the car pulled up behind him.

But this story has an uplifting ending, one that Malone felt compelled to tweet about today.

“They basically taught me how to change a tire,” Malone said. “I was really grateful that they took the time to be more than helpful.”

And by doing so, Forest Grove officers, Joe Martino and Ernesto Villaraldo, who had no idea he played for the Ducks, won over Malone, so much so that he Tweeted about it.
It is refreshing to hear that some cops respect the motto "To protect and to serve"

During our recent roadtrip/vacation twice I saw Michigan State Troopers changing tires. It looked weird seeing a guy in a fairly formal uniform, including that uncomfortable looking hat, kneeling on the side of the road changing a tire in 90 degree weather. It also struck me that even such a seemingly mundane act is pretty dangerous. But it's doing what good cops do.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Moliere wrote:Santa Ana police officers sue to quash video of pot shop raid
The lawsuit argues that the video doesn’t paint a fair version of events. The suit also claims the video shouldn’t be used as evidence because, among other things, the police didn’t know they were on camera.

“All police personnel present had a reasonable expectation that their conversations were no longer being recorded and the undercover officers, feeling that they were safe to do so, removed their masks,” says the suit.

The dispensary also did not obtain consent of any officer to record them, the suit says.
:lol:
“Without the illegal recordings, there would have been no internal investigation of any officer,” the suit says.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I find it hard to believe that it's reasonable to expect privacy when you are standing in a retail shop, especially one that would seem to have high security needs from people stealing their stuff.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote:I find it hard to believe that it's reasonable to expect privacy when you are standing in a retail shop, especially one that would seem to have high security needs from people stealing their stuff.
But they thought they ripped down all the cameras. You can't blame them for missing one!

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote:During our recent roadtrip/vacation twice I saw Michigan State Troopers changing tires. It looked weird seeing a guy in a fairly formal uniform, including that uncomfortable looking hat, kneeling on the side of the road changing a tire in 90 degree weather. It also struck me that even such a seemingly mundane act is pretty dangerous. But it's doing what good cops do.
He's a better man than I'd be. If I were a cop, I would stop and then probably call the Highway Roadside patrol. I think, as a cop, I'd be too aware of turning my back on someone to do labor with an exposed firearm on my person.

I've been reading a lot of cops going above and beyond stories lately and I'm glad to read them. It give hope, even if I think the exposure of bad cops is also something that needs to stay in the public eye and those bad cop stories need to be posted next to their pay scales. I see what an average cop makes in my city and I'm embarrassed. There are plenty of things I don't need to be paying for and are a ridiculous part of my taxes but infrastructure, response teams, and (primary and secondary) education should not be compromised.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

This morning on CNN's Robin Meade morning show they have a video of a school resource officer, who
handcuffed a kid with ADHD. Cuffed him around his upper arm above the elbows, behind his back.

I'm like WTF???

I'm not the expert on whether a "resource officer" is the same as a sworn to uphold the law Cop, but damn, seeing the video it's just fucked up. :cry:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:During our recent roadtrip/vacation twice I saw Michigan State Troopers changing tires. It looked weird seeing a guy in a fairly formal uniform, including that uncomfortable looking hat, kneeling on the side of the road changing a tire in 90 degree weather. It also struck me that even such a seemingly mundane act is pretty dangerous. But it's doing what good cops do.
He's a better man than I'd be. If I were a cop, I would stop and then probably call the Highway Roadside patrol. I think, as a cop, I'd be too aware of turning my back on someone to do labor with an exposed firearm on my person.

I've been reading a lot of cops going above and beyond stories lately and I'm glad to read them. It give hope, even if I think the exposure of bad cops is also something that needs to stay in the public eye and those bad cop stories need to be posted next to their pay scales. I see what an average cop makes in my city and I'm embarrassed. There are plenty of things I don't need to be paying for and are a ridiculous part of my taxes but infrastructure, response teams, and (primary and secondary) education should not be compromised.
The number one cause of police fatalities isn't getting shot, it's automobile accidents. Including getting sideswiped while assisting/ticketing other motorists. That's really why I did a double take.

As for pay, it's all over the board. I think you can work 20 years and get a pension here. Pension income is an average of your top 3 years salary (including OT, and when you have guys planning vacations in order to get vacation OT, that's a big deal). So you get guys from big union cities like NYPD and CPD starting at 20 years old, getting their pension by 40, "retiring" and then going to be a cop somewhere else with their full pension income, new salary, and earning a 2nd pension. Easily making $130K/year on the job and in retirement, plus benefits.

OTOH, you have guys getting jack squat in some of the worst beats in the country.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote:The number one cause of police fatalities isn't getting shot, it's automobile accidents. Including getting sideswiped while assisting/ticketing other motorists. That's really why I did a double take.
2014 figures
Line of Duty Deaths: 134

9/11 related illness: 7
Assault: 2
Automobile accident: 27
Drowned: 2
Duty related illness: 3
Fire: 1
Gunfire: 47
Gunfire (Accidental): 2
Heart attack: 19
Motorcycle accident: 4
Struck by vehicle: 5
Vehicle pursuit: 5
Vehicular assault: 10
49 firearm deaths, 51 deaths caused by vehicles of some sort. It's a tossup, statistically. This year so far is 20 to 30.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Yeah, it's close, but everyone seems to think shootings are the number one danger. They're not. So every time I see a trooper changing a tire I think, "Wow!"
LODDs 2000-2014.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nice find.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote:The number one cause of police fatalities isn't getting shot, it's automobile accidents. Including getting sideswiped while assisting/ticketing other motorists. That's really why I did a double take.
I can only assume that's come down in Michigan since they made hitting a cop or any response person or vehicle in a traffic swipe a huge criminal act and it is now a traffic violation to not either leave the lane or slow down and hug the median or lane divider when you cannot exit the lane but that is an assumption.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Combustible Lemur wrote:One would hope that murder by civilian is more likely than murder by cop. That doesn't strike me as ironic. But they do it too is a terrible excuse.
Who made an excuse? The point is if a black male is going to worry about being killed, being killed by a cop should not be at the top of his list.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Grifman wrote:
Combustible Lemur wrote:One would hope that murder by civilian is more likely than murder by cop. That doesn't strike me as ironic. But they do it too is a terrible excuse.
Who made an excuse? The point is if a black male is going to worry about being killed, being killed by a cop should not be at the top of his list.
Yes, heart disease should be number one, followed by cancer, then by accidents, then by stroke. So the Onion thing completely fails. That or it's not actually trying to make a statement of absolute fact.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Homicide comes in at #8.
Combustible Lemur

Grifman wrote:
And yet it seems to be. Weird.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ignoring the political snark, it feels like I am reading about new cases of cops murdering teenagers over small shit pretty nearly every week.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/zac ... mg00000063

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-i ... -database#