Cops behaving badly

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Moliere

Re: Cops behaving badly

Post by Moliere »

She told cops they were vitamins. But botched test kept Florida mom in jail for months.
Shaw’s ordeal began in September 2015. She had run out of gas when a Pasco County Sheriff’s Office deputy pulled up behind her car.

The deputy, Shaw said, asked if he could search her car and she consented. He found some pills and asked what they were. She said vitamins.
Dammit people! If a cops asks to search your car or come into your house the answer is NO! :grund:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Surprised not to see the Clark killing in his own backyard here. Just so everyone knows what actually happened---he was running from people who never announced they were police, so from his point of view there was nothing to 'comply' with. The audio shows that the police never said who they were. The belief was that the police shot him 20 times because they thought Clark had a gun, but in fact the Chief of Police has denied ever saying that the police thought Clark had a gun, so apparently it was cold blooded murder. Later in the confrontation, the audio was turned off by the two policemen, leading the Chief to say that 'possibly we need to drastically overhaul our training in how audio is to be used and kept'.

Truly shameful.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Austrian faces fine for calling police officers 'smurfs'
An Austrian man faces a 160-euro ($197) fine for describing police officers as "smurfs" in a warning about speed checks posted on Facebook.

The Austria Press Agency reported Tuesday that authorities in Tyrol province imposed the fine on the man, whose name wasn't released, for violating "public decency" by "defaming two police officers."

The man's post in a Facebook group alerted others to "two smurfs standing with lasers" on a local highway. A police officer who was also in the group filed a complaint.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Shouldn’t this be in the Thankful for the First Amendment thread?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Grieving family claims abuse by West Valley City police after baby's death
But after arriving home on February 24, West Valley police were at their door.

“It is routine for police to investigate an unattended death,” said West Valley police chief Colleen Jacobs.

But the family claimed the officer went to far. In a recording from their home surveillance camera, the officer is told to “leave them the (expletive) alone.” It was the baby’s grandfather according the family attorney.

“We were grieving and didn’t want to be bothered,” said Maryssa Evans, the baby’s mother.

But the answer at the door may have caused the West Valley police officer to knock open the door and go inside the home. Once inside the situation became chaotic. There was yelling and arguing between police and family members. The officer can be heard saying arrests are possible.

“I didn’t do anything wrong,” said Richard Estrada, the baby’s grandfather.

“Turn around and put your hands behind your back,” the officer responded.

“Sir, I did nothing,” Estrada said again.

The video showed the two men struggling when Tevin Evans joins them. He and the officer both fall down the steps.

More officers arrive and Evans is finally arrested. Two family members are pepper sprayed.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I'm expecting more to come out with this story. There is too much of a disconnect between the information provided and the impetus for the cops to barge in like that, regardless of my low expectations for the actions of law enforcement these days. In fact, I bet it will be related to the "unattended death" reference. Allegedly, the infant was sick, seen at the hospital, parents told he would be fine, and then brought back to the hospital the next day "when symptoms returned and he died shortly thereafter". As a doc, as a Pediatrician, that description makes the illness seem pretty mild both visits and yet the kiddo died shortly thereafter. I mean, sure, RSV in infants can be terrible, but the wording we are given makes it seem like this case was mild. And I guarantee you, if the parents thought the hospital somehow botched their kid's care, they would have slipped that into their statements about what a rough time they were having with their son's death when describing their reactions to the police intrusion. I'm purely speculating the police had more motive to be there than just a "routine" visit.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Lorini wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:45 am Surprised not to see the Clark killing in his own backyard here. Just so everyone knows what actually happened---he was running from people who never announced they were police, so from his point of view there was nothing to 'comply' with. The audio shows that the police never said who they were. The belief was that the police shot him 20 times because they thought Clark had a gun, but in fact the Chief of Police has denied ever saying that the police thought Clark had a gun, so apparently it was cold blooded murder. Later in the confrontation, the audio was turned off by the two policemen, leading the Chief to say that 'possibly we need to drastically overhaul our training in how audio is to be used and kept'.

Truly shameful.
Shot 8 times - 6 in the back, 1 in the side, 1 in the thigh. It is a text book self-defense case for sure.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

1) Be a legal permanent resident of the U.S.
2) Get charged for murder based on a corrupt cop's testimony.
3) Spend over 20 years in jail.
4) Get released after the police corruption is made public.
5) Get arrested by ICE because your residency status was revoked after the murder conviction.
6) Deportation pending...
malchior

Post by malchior »

Moliere wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:29 pm 1) Be a legal permanent resident of the U.S.
2) Get charged for murder based on a corrupt cop's testimony.
3) Spend over 20 years in jail.
4) Get released after the police corruption is made public.
5) Get arrested by ICE because your residency status was revoked after the murder conviction.
6) Deportation pending...
ICE's reckoning will come - it has become twisted and evil.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

So if a cop asks to search your car or come inside, your first question should be “am I suspected of a crime?” If “no” then your answer is “fuck you”? If “yes”, I guess you lawyer up?
Rip

Post by Rip »

I don't answer a question with a question. I do so with a simple answer.

No!
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

"I'd prefer not" is my attempt to say no without antagonizing him.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Every time I watch a cop show and the suspect starts talking without a lawyer I want to bitch slap them.
And whenever I see "Cops" and the person says yes, you can search my car, I want to bitch slap them too.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Sheriff's department SUV hit and run at police protest.

It doesn't help that protesters are doing this:
According to a press release by the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department, two marked patrol cars became surrounded by a group of protesters. As the protesters were yelling at the deputies, they also hit and kicked their cars. As one of the deputies attempted to drive away, the car struck a woman walking in the road.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

NY cops will no longer be able to have "consensual" sex with people in their custody. Because, you know, they had to be told this is wrong. :roll:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Lol.

Wtf.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:59 am So if a cop asks to search your car or come inside, your first question should be “am I suspected of a crime?” If “no” then your answer is “fuck you”? If “yes”, I guess you lawyer up?
No questions, just 'No" ... If the cops show up with a warrant, then you step aside.

Remember kids, the cops aren't required to be honest with you - and a disturbing amount of the time they're making the law up as they go. Everything you say can and will be used against you. Volunteer nothing. Stay calm.

The only question you might ask is "Am I being detained, or am I free to go?" If you're being detained, stop talking, ask for a lawyer, comply with everything they ask you to do because they just revoked your right to choose. If you don't get an answer, ask again. And again. And again... until you do get an answer.

Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Paingod wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:59 am So if a cop asks to search your car or come inside, your first question should be “am I suspected of a crime?” If “no” then your answer is “fuck you”? If “yes”, I guess you lawyer up?
No questions, just 'No" ... If the cops show up with a warrant, then you step aside.

Remember kids, the cops aren't required to be honest with you - and a disturbing amount of the time they're making the law up as they go. Everything you say can and will be used against you. Volunteer nothing. Stay calm.

The only question you might ask is "Am I being detained, or am I free to go?" If you're being detained, stop talking, ask for a lawyer, comply with everything they ask you to do because they just revoked your right to choose. If you don't get an answer, ask again. And again. And again... until you do get an answer.

That videos recommended next videos are hilarious.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Berghuis v. Thompkins (2010)
Berghuis v. Thompkins, 560 U.S. 370 (2010), is a landmark decision by the United States Supreme Court in which the Court considered the position of a suspect who understands his or her right to remain silent under Miranda v. Arizona and is aware he or she has the right to remain silent, but does not explicitly invoke or waive the right.

The Court held that unless and until the suspect actually stated that he was relying on that right, his subsequent voluntary statements could be used in court and police could continue to interact with (or question) him. The mere act of remaining silent was, on its own, insufficient to imply the suspect has invoked his or her rights. Furthermore, a voluntary reply even after lengthy silence could be construed as implying a waiver.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

WTF Chicago
A Chicago Police officer was ordered held on $200,000 bail Tuesday after he was charged with aggravated criminal sexual assault and official misconduct.

The alleged victim was a man suspected in a misdemeanor whom Carlyle Calhoun and another officer were assigned to guard at St. Bernard Hospital on Feb. 3.

Prosecutors said that, as the victim was shackled to a bed, the officer sucked the man’s toes, grabbed his penis and took a photo of the victim as he tried to use a portable urinal. Once the two were in a bathroom, Calhoun forcibly performed a sex act on the man, prosecutors said.
Sucked on his toes? :puke-front:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Don't kink-shame.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Don't yuck his yum.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

He was a clout hire too, apparently.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:12 am He was a gout hire too, apparently.
FTFY
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Cop says he smells marijuana. Time for a body search.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Moliere wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:00 am Cop says he smells marijuana. Time for a body search.
Article wrote:“In the times when marijuana has been legalized in state after state, this is some kind of erotic police behavior — and it’s very much about discretion, so even if you can do things, should you be doing them?”
Fixed the article's content, bolded.

Seriously, though - WTF? I'm so very, VERY tired of cops making the law up as they go. They should have extensive study courses and yearly reviews on what they actually can and cannot do.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It isn't knowing what they can and cannot do. They do it because they know there are pretty much no consequences and there are incentives if they succeed. Risky police behavior is often rewarded.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Interesting that it was Cop misconduct which led to Mr Fed becoming a defense attorney
/12 But at about the moment I read transcripts of Officer Rafael Perez talking about how he and his crew would taunt suicidal people until they pulled the trigger, I made the final decision that I was on the wrong side. /end
Article on LAPD about it:
As a distraught man contemplated suicide in his apartment near downtown Los Angeles, police officers from the LAPD's Rampart Division callously encouraged him to take his own life, according to previously unpublished transcripts of interviews with ex-officer Rafael Perez, which have been obtained by The Times.

"If you're going to commit suicide, hurry up and . . . do it, so we can get out of here," Perez quoted officers as saying to the unidentified man.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Rampart was shut down many years ago and that story illustrates why. That was one of many many issues stemming from there.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:00 pm Call of Duty gaming community points to ‘swatting’ in deadly Wichita police shooting
“A male came to the front door,” Livingston said. “As he came to the front door, one of our officers discharged his weapon.”

Livingston didn’t say if the man, who was 28, had a weapon when he came to the door, or what caused the officer to shoot the man. Police don’t think the man fired at officers, but the incident is still under investigation, he said. The man, who has not been identified by police, died at a local hospital.

A family member identified that man who was shot by police as Andrew Finch. One of Finch’s cousins said Finch didn’t play video games.
Answer the door, get shot. I hope they catch the crank caller. We'll see how the cop justifies the shooting.
And the answer is:

Wichita police officer who fired fatal shot after swatting call won't face charges
The Wichita police officer who fired the shot that killed Andrew Finch after a swatting call will not face charges, District Attorney Marc Bennett said Thursday.

Bennett said he had to make a determination based on Kansas law and law handed down by the Supreme Court, which says that when determining if an officer acted reasonably, evidence has to be reviewed based on what the officer knew at the time of the shooting, not 20/20 hindsight, he said.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

The reason I don't find that swatting shooting reasonable is this: The cops had no evidence any crime had been, or was being, committed. They were responding to a call about a possible crime.

So, yes, show up aware that something might be going on. Show up on alert for any danger to you or the other cops. But for Jebus's sake, don't shoot anyone until after a life threatening danger has been established.

I equate it to those hunting 'accidents' where the hunter kills someone then says "I thought it was a deer". Either it was a deer or it wasn't, what you think has nothing to do with it. Identify that it is a deer then you can shoot, otherwise you can't shoot.

These cops need to identify the deer first. Our society gives them a lot of power and refuses to punish wrongdoing though, so that's never gonna happen. I was a teen when the Eula Love case happened here in Los Angeles and I can remember how pissed off my parents and others were about police conduct then. So this kind of thing is unfortunately simply more of the same, the latest in a long, long line of abuses of power.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

gameoverman wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:37 pm The reason I don't find that swatting shooting reasonable is this: The cops had no evidence any crime had been, or was being, committed. They were responding to a call about a possible crime.

So, yes, show up aware that something might be going on. Show up on alert for any danger to you or the other cops. But for Jebus's sake, don't shoot anyone until after a life threatening danger has been established.

I equate it to those hunting 'accidents' where the hunter kills someone then says "I thought it was a deer". Either it was a deer or it wasn't, what you think has nothing to do with it. Identify that it is a deer then you can shoot, otherwise you can't shoot.

These cops need to identify the deer first. Our society gives them a lot of power and refuses to punish wrongdoing though, so that's never gonna happen. I was a teen when the Eula Love case happened here in Los Angeles and I can remember how pissed off my parents and others were about police conduct then. So this kind of thing is unfortunately simply more of the same, the latest in a long, long line of abuses of power.
So, what should they do to positively identify if it is 100% a shooter? Should they wait until the person fires shots at them? Should they approach the shooter asking them to hold their fire so that they can visually fully confirm there is a weapon? What is the line where they can fire on someone?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Punisher wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:20 pm
gameoverman wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:37 pm The reason I don't find that swatting shooting reasonable is this: The cops had no evidence any crime had been, or was being, committed. They were responding to a call about a possible crime.

So, what should they do to positively identify if it is 100% a shooter? Should they wait until the person fires shots at them? Should they approach the shooter asking them to hold their fire so that they can visually fully confirm there is a weapon? What is the line where they can fire on someone?
Ah, the false dichotomy.

It can be below 100% but has to somewhere above, "if someone opens the door, shoot them." Keep in mind, they're acting on anonymous tip.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:39 pm
Punisher wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:20 pm

Ah, the false dichotomy.

It can be below 100% but has to somewhere above, "if someone opens the door, shoot them." Keep in mind, they're acting on anonymous tip.
I used the 100% because that is my perception of gameoverman's condition that they need to identify the "deer". He specifically mentions either its a deer or not a deer. in this case it's either a gun or not a gun. His idea did not seem to give other options then binary ones.
and in this specific case they didn't start firing as soon as he opened the door.
and all calls need to be assumed as credible.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:35 pm 100% isn't going to work.
Well, obviously they weren't 100% correct in that case, which helps to prove my point.. There isn't really a way to be absolutely certain.. In the SWATTING case, they received a call from someone claiming to BE the shooter, they had know way to know one way or the other if it was true.. This was a 911 caller saying they shot their father, they had their mother and brother held hostage and that they had poured gas around the house and were ready to set it on fire.
Then someone comes to the door and instead of following the officers instructions, reaches for his waistband. Sure he may not have heard them, but you are an officer on scene, have only the information above to go on. What do you do? Do you wait for the person to start firing a weapon before doing anything? What if you wait and the person WAS an active shooter. There is no guarantee that you or anyone else will be able to incapacitate him before they get off more rounds or even get back into the house and make good on their threat to burn it down with their family inside.
These are split second decisions these officers have to make. It's not like they rolled up to the house guns blazing or that the officer got up in the morning and said "you know what? I just feel like shooting someone today."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Agreed, and every officer’s threshold is going to be different.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

probable cause, smable pause
An internal investigation is underway after a Baton Rouge Police officer was recorded on body camera video suggesting that, despite not having probable cause to search a vehicle, she would report whatever was found during a search as being found in plain view.

The WBRZ Investigative Unit learned of the investigation and obtained the footage Monday.

At least two other officers at the scene appeared to be uncomfortable with what the officer was saying and told her they needed "p-c" or probable cause. Probable cause is a standard in criminal law that allows officers to execute a search. Probable cause is not needed if something is in plain view.
"I want to get her out of this truck, and let's search the truck," Officer Robin Ducote's body camera recorded her saying.

Another officer asked her, "Do you have p-c?"

"Yeah, they are both f****** passed out," Ducote responds. "So, if we find something, we say it's in plain view. Who gives a s***, we're writing this report."

Defense Lawyer Jarret Ambeau was shocked to see the video.

"I can't think a person willing to make these kinds of decisions should have a badge and be on the streets of Louisiana and dealing with our citizens on a regular basis," Ambeau said.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Why did you pull me over, Officer?
To get your number. ;)
The state attorney general’s office announced Thursday that 32-year-old Eric Richardson faces charges including official misconduct, criminal coercion and tampering with records.

Prosecutors allege Richardson pulled over female drivers and threatened to arrest them unless they handed over their phone numbers. They allege in one case he pulled a woman over three times, the last time to ask her if she’d been getting his texts. They say he logged that stop as “aiding a motorist.”
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Why am I being charged for plastic Utensils = thrown to the ground and arrested (for being black?):
The incident happened early Sunday when 25-year-old Chikesia Clemons, and her friend Canita Adams went to Waffle House. While placing an order, Clemons asked for plastic utensils, at which point an employee told her that would be an additional charge of 50 cents.

When Clemons and Adams told the employee that they had not been charged for utensils when they’d purchased food from that same Waffle House just the night before, the employee suddenly canceled their order. Clemons then asked for the contact information for the Waffle House district manager.

“They didn’t even ask her to leave, she was waiting for them to give her the district manager’s card so she could file a complaint on one of the waitresses,” Clemons’ mother, Chiquitta Clemons-Howard, told the news site. “When they went to go get the card, that’s when the police showed up. The officer should’ve come in and said, ‘We need you to leave.’”

Video shows that after briefly speaking to Clemons, a white Saraland, Ala., police officer dragged the young woman by her arm from where she was sitting and onto the floor of the Waffle House. Three officers stood over the young woman and pulled at her limbs as they attempted to cuff her. Their actions resulted in Clemons’ top being pulled down, exposing her breasts.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.