[movie] Blade Runner 2049

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: Harrison Ford offered Blade Runner sequel

Post by LordMortis »

I put "the happy ending" out of my head. I'll give you, it doesn't do the rest of the film justice.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote:
The director's cut removes "the Holy Shit" aspect of the movie.
I think you're confusing the editions. The Director's Cut restored the ambiguous ending and got rid of the happy ending. It also removed the horrid voice overs that walked the audience through everything as if they were morons.

The Final Cut is my favorite edition, but the post I was replying to was about the director's cut vs. the theatrical release.
I suppose you think the greatest scene of total recall
That you think there was a greatest scene in Total Recall is pretty funny though.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
The director's cut removes "the Holy Shit" aspect of the movie.
I think you're confusing the editions. The Director's Cut restored the ambiguous ending and got rid of the happy ending. It also removed the horrid voice overs that walked the audience through everything as if they were morons.

The Final Cut is my favorite edition, but the post I was replying to was about the director's cut vs. the theatrical release.

I haven't seen The Final Cut, so I can't compare it.

It's not the ambiguous ending I am in love or hate with. The movie for me largely ends with the death of Roy so I put "the happy ending" out of my mind. It's the ambiguous movie leading to Roy's death that is driven by internal monologue of what may or not be more human than human that synchronizes with way Film Noir was done creating something of an anachronism that enhances the setting, where the real is valued above all but the only way you can tell what is real is to look for a serial number.
hepcat wrote:
That you think there was a greatest scene in Total Recall is pretty funny though.
And there you go. Go play with ILB in the world of everything that's wrong about everything.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's the ambiguous movie leading to Roy's death that is driven by internal monologue of what may or not be more human than human
You must be watching a different theatrical release than the rest of the world, because the theatrical release the rest of us watched removed any ambiguity in that regard. You're trying to force an interpretation onto the film that simply doesn't exist in the version you so love. Which is fine.

...just wrong.
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LordMortis wrote:
hepcat wrote:
And there you go. Go play with ILB in the world of everything that's wrong about everything.
Hey man, I love the original Total Recall. In college, the nickname for my gut was Kuato.

You're still dead wrong about Blade Runner, reclining seats on airplanes, and pizza, though.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It had its moments, but I never understood the love it gets from sci fi fans. But as I've said earlier, I love Soldier so I have zero room to talk. :oops:
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm going to jump on the Directors Cut bandwagon here, it was always my favorite of the versions that were released.

And after all of this talk, I really need watch Blade Runner again.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Holman

Post by Holman »

Occasionally I get the chance to teach Frankenstein, which I love because then I get to make everyone watch Blade Runner.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hepcat wrote:It had its moments, but I never understood the love it gets from sci fi fans. But as I've said earlier, I love Soldier so I have zero room to talk. :oops:
It's an action movie in a sci fi setting. When viewed that way, it's much more enjoyable.

Plus, it's classic Ah-nold.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy wrote:
hepcat wrote:It had its moments, but I never understood the love it gets from sci fi fans. But as I've said earlier, I love Soldier so I have zero room to talk. :oops:
It's an action movie in a sci fi setting. When viewed that way, it's much more enjoyable.

Plus, it's classic Ah-nold.
I'm sure Kurt Russel would be flattered at the comparison.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Re: [movie] Blade Runner 2049

Post by Daehawk »

Changed thread name to reflect the movie's name.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote:Occasionally I get the chance to teach Frankenstein, which I love because then I get to make everyone watch Blade Runner.
Not that surprising once you find out you do the same thing for The Sun Also Rises, Grapes of Wrath and Horton Hears a Who though.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Who is to say that by that time in the future that the entire population aren't replicants with fake childhood memories.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Trailer looks good
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

tru1cy wrote:Trailer looks good
And in 2049 Atari remains dominant!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
xenocide

Post by xenocide »

I was hugely skeptical of the remake. That being said that trailer looks good. Interest and hope on the incline....

***edited: yes I know it's a sequel, sorry I misspoke
Last edited by xenocide on Tue May 09, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Rip wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Jaymann wrote:
McNutt wrote:This is a bad idea. See Prometheus for an example of Ridley Scott unnecessarily revisiting a successful movie. Next he'll get Harvey Keitel and Keith Carradine to sign up for a sequel to The Duelists.
That would be sweet. Is Carradine still alive?
Keith? Yes.

and David is still hanging around.

Too soon?
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

xenocide wrote:I was hugely skeptical of the remake. That being said that trailer looks good. Interest and hope on the incline....
There's a big difference between a remake (which 2049 isn't) and a sequel (which 2049 is).
Hodor.
xenocide

Post by xenocide »

pr0ner wrote:
xenocide wrote:I was hugely skeptical of the remake. That being said that trailer looks good. Interest and hope on the incline....
There's a big difference between a remake (which 2049 isn't) and a sequel (which 2049 is).

remake, reboot, sequel, prequel, standalone, series, whatever, I was hugely skeptical of a new Blade Runner movie. I know it is a sequel, I misspoke, sorry.

Still liked the trailer.
Holman

Post by Holman »

xenocide wrote:
pr0ner wrote:

remake, reboot, sequel, prequel, standalone, series, whatever, I was hugely skeptical of a new Blade Runner movie. I know it is a sequel, I misspoke, sorry.

Still liked the trailer.
You forgot "homage" and "ripoff"!

I was dubious when I heard about a BR sequel, but I have to admit that, judging from these trailers, they've nailed the visuals and music at least.

Everything depends on the story, though.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Where the flying car is in the fog above the roof of the big building...so 80s BR feels.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Here's an article obsessing over the hints and details available in every shot.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

old and new side by side

The original's style and graphics really hold up well. Some of those shots look better in the old one.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trailer 2 is out.

There's quite a lot here: more dialogue than we've heard before, and many new scenes and locales.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

3 short films to bridge the gap between 2019 to 2049

Blade Runner 2036
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Montag

Post by Montag »

I prefer the theatrical release with the voice overs for the more noir film feel.

I don't remember the unicorn dream sequence being in the original releases. This was added to the director's cut yes?
words
Holman

Post by Holman »

Montag wrote:I prefer the theatrical release with the voice overs for the more noir film feel.

INTERNET DEFCON LEVEL 1! TAKE SHELTER IMMEDIATELY!

I don't remember the unicorn dream sequence being in the original releases. This was added to the director's cut yes?
Yes. That's why the Director's Cut is the only one that makes sense.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Holman wrote:
That is where I disagree. Previous complaints were the voiceover was handholding. Having the unicorn dream sequence guaranteed Deckard was a replicant. I didn't get that feel from P K Dick's story, been a long time since reading. The blade runner sequel book was rancid btw.

Regardless looking forward to the movie with feat of ruination. I hope there will be a double feature nearby. Too young to have seen the original in theatre
words
Holman

Post by Holman »

The major complaint is that the voiceover work was badly written and badly delivered. The studio forced it because they were afraid the movie was confusing, and Hollywood legend is that Ford and Scott conspired to do it poorly in the hope that it wouldn't be used.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Montag wrote:
Holman wrote:
That is where I disagree. Previous complaints were the voiceover was handholding. Having the unicorn dream sequence guaranteed Deckard was a replicant. I didn't get that feel from P K Dick's story, been a long time since reading. The blade runner sequel book was rancid btw.

Regardless looking forward to the movie with feat of ruination. I hope there will be a double feature nearby. Too young to have seen the original in theatre
The movie is so different from the book that I'm not sure it matters whether or not he was a replicant in the book.
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's been years, but IIRC the book leaves open the possibility that *everyone* is a replicant and doesn't know it.

Doesn't Deckard visit an entire police station full of replicants doing the same jobs the "real" police are doing? And doesn't the rest of the novel essentially cascade into realizations that replicant and human life might be so indistinguishable as to be (from the very beginning) the same thing?

There's a lot of heady mysticism that has no reflection in the movie at all. For instance, there's a whole new life-affirming religion that is suggested to be possibly an invention of the replicants themselves.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Adam Savage mentioned this in his latest podcast, about how when you don't have the voice-over during the spinner flying scenes that you see and notice so many more details than with the voiceover. And I agree. I had never been able to put a finger on why I liked the non-voiceover version, but this is it.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I like cranky old Harrison Ford. GQ:
“I punched Ryan Gosling in the face,” Ford confirms. Then he adds, by way of clarification, that “Ryan Gosling's face was where it should not have been.”

Explain further, if you will.

“His job was to be out of the range of the punch. My job was also to make sure that I pulled the punch. But we were moving, and the camera was moving, so I had to be aware of the angle to the camera to make the punch look good. You know, I threw about a hundred punches in the shooting of it, and I only hit him once.”

So he should be grateful?

“I have pointed that out.”

And the one that did connect—that's 100 percent his fault?

“No.” Ford makes as though he's carefully weighing this. “I mean, I suppose it's 90 percent his fault.”

That is very—

“—generous of me.”

He said you went to his dressing room with a bottle of scotch…

“I did.”

…and poured him a glass, then walked out with the bottle.

“Yeah? What—did he fucking expect the whole bottle? You know, I figured one drink would fix it. That was enough.”
Enough

Post by Enough »

Somewhat OT, but if you have the ability to watch 4k UHD HDR movies, seeing the new version of Bladerunner on UHD is a revelation. Easily one of my favorites I've seen at 4k.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Enough wrote:Somewhat OT, but if you have the ability to watch 4k UHD HDR movies, seeing the new version of Bladerunner on UHD is a revelation. Easily one of my favorites I've seen at 4k.
Gonna have to wait for a bit, but going HDR for my game room that I'm building out.

Fun Fact: Blade Runner is the movie that always causes me to upgrade my video technology. DVD, HD-DVD, BluRay...Blade Runner is always the release that makes me upgrade. And the first movie that I watch on said new technology.
Enough

Post by Enough »

hentzau wrote:
Enough wrote:Somewhat OT, but if you have the ability to watch 4k UHD HDR movies, seeing the new version of Bladerunner on UHD is a revelation. Easily one of my favorites I've seen at 4k.
Gonna have to wait for a bit, but going HDR for my game room that I'm building out.

Fun Fact: Blade Runner is the movie that always causes me to upgrade my video technology. DVD, HD-DVD, BluRay...Blade Runner is always the release that makes me upgrade. And the first movie that I watch on said new technology.
What an awesome tradition. You are in for a serious treat!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Somewhat surprisingly (to me at least), initial reaction to the new Blade Runner is overwhelmingly positive. The reviewer on NPR even said it was better than the original. I might actually have to go see this in the theater...
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

I was surprised to see such positive reviews, too! It sounds really good.

Probably seeing next weekend.