[movie] Blade Runner 2049

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: [movie] Blade Runner 2049

Post by Holman »

By coincidence:

I give my Eng 101 classes an assignment where they write an analytical review dealing with different facets (genre, themes, style, audience, context, etc) of a book/movie/TV series/etc. A few years ago I wanted to show them how it was done, so I wrote my own version of the assignment dealing with Blade Runner.

In the past, there have never been more than a few students in the room who have heard of the movie.

This year all the young ladies are Ryan Gosling fans, so they've all heard of BR2049, but most of them have no idea it's a sequel to anything.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I expected this to get midnight showing treatment in several areas last night.

I guess no one made it to see?

I'm finding a time this weekend to go see it--really looking forward to it, especially with all of the positive buzz.

On a side note, I'm about 1/3 of the way through Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and I'm surprised at the similarities to the movie. It's both the same and different together. Some names have been slightly changed or are exactly the same.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Looking forward to the Director's Cut.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote:Looking forward to the Director's Cut.
Of BR2049? There won't be one. The theatrical version is the Director's Cut.
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

pr0ner wrote:
Jeff V wrote:Looking forward to the Director's Cut.
Of BR2049? There won't be one. The theatrical version is the Director's Cut.
OK, the Extended Edition then. They're gonna find some way to keep milking that cash cow.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Redfive wrote:I expected this to get midnight showing treatment in several areas last night.

I guess no one made it to see?

I'm finding a time this weekend to go see it--really looking forward to it, especially with all of the positive buzz.

On a side note, I'm about 1/3 of the way through Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and I'm surprised at the similarities to the movie. It's both the same and different together. Some names have been slightly changed or are exactly the same.
My theater had a double billing last night. I could not do that.

Saw it this morning and loved it. I didn't feel as much for these replicants, but everything else was great. Nearly every scene and set was delectable.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Saw this this afternoon. It is pretty spectacular.

My only complaint is that the volume was so loud in the theater that I might have busted an eardrum or two.

I am a bit confused about one part though:
Spoiler:
how/why did the woman know to implant her memories in another replicant? And was it just a coincidence that they were implanted in K?
Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Without spoilers is Rick Deckard's 'status' dealt with?

Making time for this tomorrow.
naednek

Post by naednek »

$13 million on the first night... Not a good start.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Redfive wrote:Without spoilers is Rick Deckard's 'status' dealt with?

I would be comfortable saying yes.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Saw this this afternoon. It is pretty spectacular.

My only complaint is that the volume was so loud in the theater that I might have busted an eardrum or two.

I am a bit confused about one part though:
Spoiler:
how/why did the woman know to implant her memories in another replicant? And was it just a coincidence that they were implanted in K?
Yeah, that sound was something else. It definitely resolved the problem of the people chewing popcorn loudly behind us.
Spoiler:
I think that's just what she did. She created memories for Wallace to use in the replicants. Like Chew did with eyes in the original. Apparently using her own memories which was illegal. I can't decide yet whether it was coincidental or not.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

naednek wrote:$13 million on the first night... Not a good start.
It's almost 3 hours. I really want to see it, but I'm not sure I want to see 3 hours of it without a pause button.

Somewhere I read the story of the title. PKD never mentioned "blade runners" in Do Androids Dream..., so where did that come from?

Here's an abridged version from memory.

In the '50s a working physician wrote sf on the side. It was competent stuff for the pulp era and he made a good enough living to quit his day job. The story that concerns us was called The Blade Runners. It was about a future dystopia where citizens had to turn to a black market to get medical care because only the rich could afford it. The black market docs were called blade runners, as in have-scalpel, will-travel.

Later (1960s I think) William S Burroughs, of all people, was hired to turn it into a movie. His screenplay, which involved two parallel stories shown simultaneously on two screens, was unfilmable. To salvage a few bucks it was re-titled Blade Runner: The Movie and novelized.

Fast forward to the '80s. PKD's story is being turned into a screenplay. The producer drops by the writers' dungeon one day and wonders what Decker is. Writer replies that he's a detective. "Sure, but what kind of detective? He needs a title." Writer needs to come up with something in a hurry. Looks at his bookshelf. Spots the Burroughs book. "Blade runner" polls well with the room, so that's what Decker is. It doesn't mean anything, but it sounds cool. One of the versions of the original movie has a weak throwaway line about "running on the edge of the blade" or something, but that's just grafted on.

I might have bungled a detail or two in there, but that's the gist of it. I think PKD would like the randomness, although I like his title better myself.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Alefroth wrote:
Redfive wrote:Without spoilers is Rick Deckard's 'status' dealt with?

I would be comfortable saying yes.
Leaving for the theater in about 30 min, looking forward to it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote:
naednek wrote:$13 million on the first night... Not a good start.
It's almost 3 hours. I really want to see it, but I'm not sure I want to see 3 hours of it without a pause button.

Somewhere I read the story of the title. PKD never mentioned "blade runners" in Do Androids Dream..., so where did that come from?

Here's an abridged version from memory.

In the '50s a working physician wrote sf on the side. It was competent stuff for the pulp era and he made a good enough living to quit his day job. The story that concerns us was called The Blade Runners. It was about a future dystopia where citizens had to turn to a black market to get medical care because only the rich could afford it. The black market docs were called blade runners, as in have-scalpel, will-travel.

Later (1960s I think) William S Burroughs, of all people, was hired to turn it into a movie. His screenplay, which involved two parallel stories shown simultaneously on two screens, was unfilmable. To salvage a few bucks it was re-titled Blade Runner: The Movie and novelized.

Fast forward to the '80s. PKD's story is being turned into a screenplay. The producer drops by the writers' dungeon one day and wonders what Decker is. Writer replies that he's a detective. "Sure, but what kind of detective? He needs a title." Writer needs to come up with something in a hurry. Looks at his bookshelf. Spots the Burroughs book. "Blade runner" polls well with the room, so that's what Decker is. It doesn't mean anything, but it sounds cool. One of the versions of the original movie has a weak throwaway line about "running on the edge of the blade" or something, but that's just grafted on.

I might have bungled a detail or two in there, but that's the gist of it. I think PKD would like the randomness, although I like his title better myself.
I've heard a similar account (title borrowed from an unrelated SF project) too.

PKD had nothing to do with it, and no one has ever explained why a lavish, hyper-produced, big-budget SF movie starring Harrison Ford in the wake of SW and TESB would have been so sloppy with the title, but there you go.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Just watched the original Blade Runner (Final Cut) with my kids this afternoon. We'll go see 2049 next weekend.

I spoiled Deckard's identity with my 13-year-old some months ago during a conversation about androids and SF. My 11-year-old wasn't part of that conversation, and today during the end credits I asked him what the unicorn origami meant.
11yo: "The other detective made it."

me: "Why?"

11yo: "He was making them all through the movie."

me: "Why a unicorn, though?"

11yo: "Well, Deckard had that dream at the piano."

me: "How did the other detective know about Deckard's dream?"

11yo: "... ..." [eyes go wide as saucers] "Deckard is a Replicant!"
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Just a note, 2049 is a harder "R" rated movie than the original. More profanity, more nudity, more violence. I'd be prepared for that, just in case.
Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think the world is backwards. The entire population are replicants and dont know it with only a few who are real humans. :)

Hope to see this next week. If I cant then I wont get to until dvd or stream.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

pr0ner wrote:Just a note, 2049 is a harder "R" rated movie than the original. More profanity, more nudity, more violence. I'd be prepared for that, just in case.
Just saw it. More violence and nudity, yes, but don't recall any profanity. :think:
-mf
Holman

Post by Holman »

It won't be our boys' first R-rated movie, and (if the parental review sites are to be relied upon) it won't be anything we can't frankly discuss.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

pr0ner wrote:Just a note, 2049 is a harder "R" rated movie than the original. More profanity, more nudity, more violence. I'd be prepared for that, just in case.
Nice try. Still not practical for me to see it until it comes on video. :P
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

MonkeyFinger wrote:
Just saw it. More violence and nudity, yes, but don't recall any profanity. :think:
You missed all of Robin Wright's f-bombs?
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Holman wrote:It won't be our boys' first R-rated movie, and (if the parental review sites are to be relied upon) it won't be anything we can't frankly discuss.
Fair enough. Figured it was worth pointing out!
Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

pr0ner wrote:
Holman wrote:It won't be our boys' first R-rated movie, and (if the parental review sites are to be relied upon) it won't be anything we can't frankly discuss.
Fair enough. Figured it was worth pointing out!
Appreciated!
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Saw it last night and thought it was great. The atmosphere is very true to the original movie and I think they do a nice job of making it a direct sequel rather than just an attempt to cash in.

I hope it does well at the box office though I don't know if I need to see the further sequel(s) that they have clearly set up.

EDIT: Also, and this isn't a judgement on anyone else, but I would definitely not bring my 13 year old to see this.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

WHY do people think the more money a movie makes means it's a good or bad movie?
What's a great movie to one person is another person's shitty movie. It's all opinion.

People just aren't running out immediately and wasting their money on movies these days. There's too many other options for
entertainment, especially when people can get their movies cheaper through streaming services, or just wait it out for
pay cable-hbo/cinemax/showtime, or bluray and dvd.

There's just no way in hell that Blade Runner 2049 is going to make truckload ass loads of money that were expected by the bean counters
at the studios. Not too many from the current generation want to sit though a 2 hour 45 minute movie on something they don't give a shit about.

For the record, I'm going to see it this coming weekend. (saw original Blade Runner in theater, and own several versions of the movie on dvd)
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

pr0ner wrote:
MonkeyFinger wrote:
Ha! I... guess so. Too much like my normal life for it to stand out, I guess. :P
-mf
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

MonkeyFinger wrote:
pr0ner wrote:
MonkeyFinger wrote:
Ha! I... guess so. Too much like my normal life for it to stand out, I guess. :P
Haha. That's pretty funny!
Hodor.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

JSHAW wrote:WHY do people think the more money a movie makes means it's a good or bad movie?
What's a great movie to one person is another person's shitty movie. It's all opinion.

People just aren't running out immediately and wasting their money on movies these days. There's too many other options for
entertainment, especially when people can get their movies cheaper through streaming services, or just wait it out for
pay cable-hbo/cinemax/showtime, or bluray and dvd.

There's just no way in hell that Blade Runner 2049 is going to make truckload ass loads of money that were expected by the bean counters
at the studios. Not too many from the current generation want to sit though a 2 hour 45 minute movie on something they don't give a shit about.

For the record, I'm going to see it this coming weekend. (saw original Blade Runner in theater, and own several versions of the movie on dvd)
Don't know if this was directed at me but I did mention the box office and this post is right after mine..so

Actually, this can't be directed at me because I clearly said I thought it was great and my box office comment was separate and had to do with any future sequels, so carry on :horse:

And Alefroth:
Spoiler:
With regard to your answer about Deckard's status, I think what you are referring to is the conversation Deckard had with Wallace in the pool room.

Wallace came right out and pinned down Deckard being a replicant with his 'You were designed to fall in love' comment and then seemed to allow a little more uncertainty, but I don't recall the exact words used.

I suppose we already know Deckard's status from the Director's / Final Cut and Scott's explanation, but I was curious when I asked above if it was directly dealt with in the sequel.
Also
Spoiler:
The sequence with the girl in the sterile room and her reaction to K's questioning about the memory was pretty emotional for me as a viewer. I of course believed it was K's memory (like I think we were meant to believe). It was one of my favorite parts of the movie that had nothing to do with the amazing cinematography and the world / setting, which I love.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Regarding Deckard:
Spoiler:
How could he be a Replicant if Replicants had a limited lifespan when Deckard would have been made?
Blade Runner 2049 is 30 years after the original film. Wouldn't a Replicant Deckard be long since dead?
Hodor.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

pr0ner wrote:Regarding Deckard:
Spoiler:
How could he be a Replicant if Replicants had a limited lifespan when Deckard would have been made?
Blade Runner 2049 is 30 years after the original film. Wouldn't a Replicant Deckard be long since dead?
Spoiler:
Yes, I would normally agree with that question, but since they introduced the nexus 8 in the prologue text and K took out one of them at the beginning of the movie who was present for the birth it would be conceivable that Deckard is not a 6.

I need to watch again I'm sure because I don't usually pick everything up in one pass on a movie.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Rachel and Deckard were both from the model line that were designed to live normal human lifespans. That adherence to making this line so close to humans is pretty much what spawns the entire plot of the movie, really.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Malificent wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Rachel and Deckard were both from the model line that were designed to live normal human lifespans. That adherence to making this line so close to humans is pretty much what spawns the entire plot of the movie, really.
'
Wait a minute, how does that fit with:
Spoiler:
Too bad she won't live, but who does?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

To Malificent:
Spoiler:
Where does the evidence that Deckard and Rachel are part of a different model line come from? I don't recall that ever being mentioned or alluded to anywhere in BR.
Hodor.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Spoiler:
Replicants are supposed to have superior strength, yet Deckard couldn't free himself from the bonds at the end of the movie. It took a known replicant to do that.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Alefroth wrote:
Spoiler:
Replicants are supposed to have superior strength, yet Deckard couldn't free himself from the bonds at the end of the movie. It took a known replicant to do that.
Spoiler:
He also pretty handily got his ass kicked by Roy in the first movie, but Ridley still said he was a replicant. What about the paper unicorn?

*shrug*
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Spoiler:
Where / when did Ridley ever say Deckard was a replicant? I just watched the 2007 "Final Cut" version of the original movie and in the introduction he said they included the unicorn dream sequence "to suggest that Deckard might be a replicant". Suggest and might be... did he say something later to firm that up a bit?
-mf
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

MonkeyFinger wrote:
Spoiler:
Where / when did Ridley ever say Deckard was a replicant? I just watched the 2007 "Final Cut" version of the original movie and in the introduction he said they included the unicorn dream sequence "to suggest that Deckard might be a replicant". Suggest and might be... did he say something later to firm that up a bit?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7o0rvVxU0w
Holman

Post by Holman »

pr0ner wrote:To Malificent:
Spoiler:
Where does the evidence that Deckard and Rachel are part of a different model line come from? I don't recall that ever being mentioned or alluded to anywhere in BR.
It's made clear in BR2049. Some might call it a retcon, but I think it works.